FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest AOCMAC

So I received a Navy Com before the board started,  it was in my PSR during the board but not in my ompf .   A few days ago it popped ito my ompf.  I didn't submit it to buyers,   i got this com from a commodore from that AOR i was in .   Im sure his command submitted it to bupers  how else would it have gotten in my OMPF   I know they didn't send it to the board as third party correspondence is not accepted right?  It made it in my record pretty fast just funny that it popped in right after the board ended    whats your thoughts?

Guest AOCMAC

Started leave today we get back AUG 1st sure would be nice to walk into some good news   keeping fingers crossed!!! Good Luck brothers and sisters !!!

I know it was mentioned before, but anybody currently going through a school, and will be once the Chief results are released and Phase II begins?

I am, but I'm right across the street, so they'll be able to torment me fairly easily.

Guest LCarp3

quick poll. who all submitted Summary Letters with packages? That will give us a reference on maybe if it helped or not when results come out.

I did.

I did. The feedback we got from the board said that most of the MCs liked it because it makes going thru the record that much easier. My summary was only one page and covered the last 5 years only - not my entire career.

Guest LCarp3

well, my thought on the summary letter is this:  why would you submit one when your record holds that same exact information?  Don't duplicate what is already in the record right? IJS

I definitely see where u are coming but I decided to send it as one of my 3 enclosures. My other two enclosures was my MOVSM and MTS Certificate. If I would have needed a lot of stuff in my package, I probably wouldn't have. For example, last year I did not send one because I had more 5 or 6 enclosures.

I've seen the career path and was wondering if they actually used those to see if you were ahead on your quals, thank you for clearing that up. Do they also look at the year groups? For example, I noticed that ther were no chiefs (for AEGIS FCs) for any year group '03 or later. Would the board then look to advance mostly people after that year group then? Or would they go for the '03 group and earlier, basically eliminating the chance for anyone in '04 or later?

That is a GREAT question and something that I've been wondering myself since my 03' is my year group.  I don't think that it plays a big part, but I do think that it's something that is looked at.  I think it may be more of a coincidence and that in our rate you don't see too many 7-9 yr Chiefs.  Are the exceptions?  Yes, but def not the norm.  I've seen a guy from my C school class pick up in 10, but also seen my old LPO pick up at 16 in the same yr, so you never know man.  Good luck!  We have 55 spots for us and Jenkballs!

So I received a Navy Com before the board started,  it was in my PSR during the board but not in my ompf .   A few days ago it popped ito my ompf.  I didn't submit it to buyers,   i got this com from a commodore from that AOR i was in .   Im sure his command submitted it to bupers  how else would it have gotten in my OMPF   I know they didn't send it to the board as third party correspondence is not accepted right?  It made it in my record pretty fast just funny that it popped in right after the board ended    whats your thoughts?

Selection boards do not accept third party correspondence. Your last command sent the award to NDAWS and that's how it got to your PSR and OMPF.

Guest AEGFC87

That is a GREAT question and something that I've been wondering myself since my 03' is my year group. I don't think that it plays a big part, but I do think that it's something that is looked at. I think it may be more of a coincidence and that in our rate you don't see too many 7-9 yr Chiefs. Are the exceptions? Yes, but def not the norm. I've seen a guy from my C school class pick up in 10, but also seen my old LPO pick up at 16 in the same yr, so you never know man. Good luck! We have 55 spots for us and Jenkballs!

Thanks! I'm in the '05 year group, so I'm hoping it doesn't hurt me just because I'm up for it super quickly. Other than that I have CSOOW, CSC, MTS, and my Associate's, so I should be competitive otherwise.

55 quotas is nice though! Hopefully all three of us pick it up!

Guest Msduval2u

I definitely see where u are coming but I decided to send it as one of my 3 enclosures. My other two enclosures was my MOVSM and MTS Certificate. If I would have needed a lot of stuff in my package, I probably wouldn't have. For example, last year I did not send one because I had more 5 or 6 enclosures.

I just feel like it's an unofficial document that is just adding more work. Of course this is my opinion and I would probably kick myself if I didn't get selected for not submitting one.

Guest LastChanceNC1

I just feel like it's an unofficial document that is just adding more work. Of course this is my opinion and I would probably kick myself if I didn't get selected for not submitting one.

I almost sent one because I didn't need to send a package but wanted to send a message that I'm not set on retiring. I talked myself out of it.

Guest TAKEAROUNDTURN

so how did you know it was takearoundturn? I know he wasn't wearing his profile pic?!? :huh:

BBb)

Well he mention a comment about picking up the pace at pt from a masterchef that sat the board. So I asked if he is on navy advancement forum. And the rest is history. Admin is down to earth guy good luck to him
  • Like 1

Well he mention a comment about picking up the pace at pt from a masterchef that sat the board. So I asked if he is on navy advancement forum. And the rest is history. Admin is down to earth guy good luck to him

cool, strange how that stuff happens sometimes. i hope more members get to meet each other  :)

yeah crazy isn't it, i wonder if anyone from my base is on here as well that I don't know about...

it's also cool when married ones create an account here and log on at the same time even thought they are a million miles away  BBb)

Thanks! I'm in the '05 year group, so I'm hoping it doesn't hurt me just because I'm up for it super quickly. Other than that I have CSOOW, CSC, MTS, and my Associate's, so I should be competitive otherwise.

55 quotas is nice though! Hopefully all three of us pick it up!

Looks good bruh.  I didn't go back to Dahlgren after my first ship.  Went to an NRD instead, but go RINC qual'd and successfully ran a large station as a non-NC.  Came back to sea and got LPO at sea, CSC, AAWC, CMEO, FCPOA Pres, SSOQ, ATTT, and now Acting LCPO for CF Div.  We currently have a gap billet and if I get selected, I'll slide right in there.  My division is great and we are homeport shifting to Hawaii in 3 weeks, so it would suck to pick up next yr on deployment and then transfer out because the new LCPO will be here.

Guest SSTATEMAN

I really like this forum you can get some clear direction on here and hopefully we will all get the results that we've been waiting on pretty soon.

Guest AZ4LIFE

This waiting game really does suck.  Glad I have enough work to keep me busy.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Guest itdominance

This waiting game really does suck.  Glad I have enough work to keep me busy.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

easy work day today. Done with all college assignments this semester as of yesterday. Going to Rockstar Mayhem Festival to see Korn and Avenged Sevenfold tomorrow night! Glad I have that to keep me busy this weekend.

Guest Msduval2u

Good morning all. My command is having a mandatory fishing day. Well, since I don't do live bait or live fish, I will be at work :) that will give me a chance to try to wrap up these two college courses, just in case...cheers to the weekend.

Guest Wifey

Will any be deployed during the season? If selected I will be, stuck on a submarine with chiefs around the clock.

My husband is. That's how I usually wind up on these forums. He's gone and communication isn't always reliable so I like to peek in  here  to make sure I'm not missing something :)

I'll be interested to see how they handle it WRT uniforms. He didn't know for sure but his last CMC said they would do measurements early in the season so you could have them shipped from home. This CMC hasn't mentioned it. 

to be fair the officer did cause a fire hazard and didn't understand why it was a fire hazard. put paper over electrical panels to the point they couldn't get into them.

Understandable, as a second class once I took a first class aside to tell him he wasn't being a first class.  He was shocked at first, but a few months later thanked me for the talk.

Guest amcreed

LOL sorry I wasn't clear it was my husband who was doing the officer insulting, not the chief that yelled at him about a undershirt

This is bad.  We, as FCPOs and prospective Chiefs, need to make sure that we are mentoring the JOs.  That JO could be a Dept head, XO, or even a CO one day.  It all starts with that boot ensign's first impression with senior enlisted leadership that sets the tone for their career.  I have had both ones that trust us and ones that don't.  It goes back to what they though of their originals division senior leadership.  We are entrusted with leading, training, and mentoring these officers and it will make your relief's life hard when that JO that you burned doesn't trust the FCM or the CPO Mess as a Captain.

Guest amcreed

When this happened Hubs was a PO2 who was running an Air Speed event. He and the rest of the team went to lunch and came back to every wall in the Test hanger covered in butcher paper. He took the officer aside and politely said "Sir you can't do this, it's a fire hazard." The officer looked back at him and said "No it's not and look at how cool the lights look thru the paper." Hubs then said "No sir it is a fire hazard, we wouldn't be able to get to the electrical boxes if this paper were to catch fire from the heat being emitted from them." The officer replied with "No it's all good I know where some other extinguishers are." at this point Hubs gave up and looked this guy in the eye and said "Guess it's true they do train Monkeys to fly my planes." and walked off to go have a PO3 start taking down the paper.

We have all lost our cool before, I know that I have, but we do need to be pillars of excellence.  We have to have great relationships with out officers for the sake of our Sailors.

Good morning all. My command is having a mandatory fishing day. Well, since I don't do live bait or live fish, I will be at work :) that will give me a chance to try to wrap up these two college courses, just in case...cheers to the weekend.

What?!? I love fishing! Bait, the smell of the ocean up my nostrils...    :graphics-3d-smileys-618503:  good times, good times.  You should get out of the office and go fishing - or maybe ride your new motorcycle.