FY 15 Chief Selection Board

I've heard conflicting info on this. I had put LDO as a recommendation on my first few PO1 evals until I got the same "either/or" guidance. I then started removing it from my evals based on this guidance, until I applied for LDO last year, and my HOD (an LDO) asked why there was a drop-off with being recommended. I explained that I was told to put one or the other.

He said that was bad info, and sold me on his reasoning, as well. Think about it... if 'Sailor X' is recommended for the LDO/CWO program, how could that possibly make him look bad to a CPO board? They're all leaders, regardless. If a board of MCPO's snub you simply because you're recommended (by your superiors) to be a mustang, they're fools. Same could be said about an LDO/CWO appraisal board member. SSP means one thing. If you're truly awesome, you'd be awesome wearing either hat, officer or enlisted.

Not that I don't think those blocks don't matter when you're a CPO up for SCPO, but as an E6 up for both career paths, you're only limiting yourself if you choose one path this early in your career.

This is JMO of course, but it was successfully sold to me by an old wise owl 05, former CPO. If anything, we have a discussion point to kill time until results post.

Exactly!!!! Well said. My Master Chief said he's all about upward mobility. And even most LDOs are prior Chiefs and the first thing they look for at LDO board is leadership and subject matter expertise, CDs, education, etc. come second. So either recommendation looks good!

Guest NGUAC1

I wouldn't like having a sponsor assigned before getting selected, but I would like the one on one finding out if I made it or not. That would great. I think mentors would be a good choice in that scenario.

I didn't know the policy at my command so I have asked my mentor to be my sponsor and he said yes. He's kept me on the straight path.

Guest SOY13

I know what I'll do if selected, cry. It'll be a relief. In 2011 I went to drb and had my cmc look me in the eyes and tell me that with the eval on his desk he had no doubt I'd be wearing khakis on the next go round, and he didn't feel I was ready so he changed the eval to reflect that. Every year I have to hear "you should be in the mess" "I see you as a chief" and so on and so forth. I hold no hopes of making it as that eval is still there, but if I do make it, it'll be such a relief. I went from the #2 ep to a P with 3.50 because of that drb with no mention of wrong doing in my eval. I've progressed since then with a ranked mp, and 2 eps, including #1 ep this year and ssoy.

it's how you bounced back after the DRB most PO1s would have thrown in the towel after that good on you and hope you get the S"!!

Guest SOY13

This was the reasoning that was explained to me by my CO. I am applying for LDO this year, so it can't hurt. I really rather be Chief first, but if that S never comes I won't be caught putting my career on hold for it.

I totally agree with u on not putting your career on hold.. I don't believe in regrets but I did take some bad advice at my 12 year mark not to pursue the LDO route without being a Chief first... Well here I am at me 20 year mark hoping for the S
  • Like 1

Guest Goalfocused

This was the reasoning that was explained to me by my CO. I am applying for LDO this year, so it can't hurt. I really rather be Chief first, but if that S never comes I won't be caught putting my career on hold for it.

I totally agree with that. As a matter of fact, I made first late 2012 and I put in an LDO package for 2013 and while I was not selected, I didn't close that door. It made me feel good that I tried and just didn't settle because in the long run, I do what's best for my family. Chief has always been the goal and now I am up as an early candidate. I have done everything possible to set myself up for this. As a matter of fact, going up for LDO gave me a head start in correcting things in my record and gave me a glimpse of what was on the test. There is nothing wrong with going for LDO if the door is open. Doesn't make you want to be a Chief any less. Anxious for that "S" brothers

I totally agree with that. As a matter of fact, I made first late 2012 and I put in an LDO package for 2013 and while I was not selected, I didn't close that door. It made me feel good that I tried and just didn't settle because in the long run, I do what's best for my family. Chief has always been the goal and now I am up as an early candidate. I have done everything possible to set myself up for this. As a matter of fact, going up for LDO gave me a head start in correcting things in my record and gave me a glimpse of what was on the test. There is nothing wrong with going for LDO if the door is open. Doesn't make you want to be a Chief any less. Anxious for that "S" brothers

It really sucks to have 2 Commanders and a LCDR on your LDO board ask you "So, why don't you want to be a Chief?". I'm pretty sure I answered satisfactorily, but it's pretty intimidating mulling the question over in your own head, coming close to second guessing yourself.

Guest AOCMAC

It really sucks to have 2 Commanders and a LCDR on your LDO board ask you "So, why don't you want to be a Chief?". I'm pretty sure I answered satisfactorily, but it's pretty intimidating mulling the question over in your own head, coming close to second guessing yourself.

so what was your answer to the question?  I have my LDO board in a a week or so and I am sweating some of the questions I know will be asked.  Only if you don't mind sharing .  Thanks 

I said something along the lines of that "I would of course be honored to be selected. If I commission before that S appears, I'll always regret not know what goes on behind that door. However, being a CPO has its limits, and while they are an incredibly important part of leading and caring for Sailors I can only go so far as one. I want to be in charge, to have full control over the sailors under me that I would get as an OIC or CO, something that would be out of my reach as a CPO. I've seen so many incompetent, stubborn, and outright dangerous leaders, I know I can do better. As a CPO, there will always come a point where I can be told to shut up and fall in line (barring blatant safety violations), and that time may also come to me as an LDO, but it will need to come from much higher."

I don't know, maybe I articulated it badly, but they seemed satisfied with that.

With everyone expecting the message to come out tomorrow with the release date I'm sure this board will be crowded.  I think it was up to about 180 users this morning before I went to sleep.  Should we be expecting it by 1200 EST, or can it come out whenever CNP feels like it?  I'm sure NPC will be down again tomorrow with everyone anticipating word of the release.  I personally don't think I'm making it this year, but as it's been said if you make board you have a chance.  It's anyone's guess what they are going to look for.  It could be something simple like me having my IDW from my IA, but if they are looking for SFF then I'm out of the running.

With everyone expecting the message to come out tomorrow with the release date I'm sure this board will be crowded. I think it was up to about 180 users this morning before I went to sleep. Should we be expecting it by 1200 EST, or can it come out whenever CNP feels like it? I'm sure NPC will be down again tomorrow with everyone anticipating word of the release. I personally don't think I'm making it this year, but as it's been said if you make board you have a chance. It's anyone's guess what they are going to look for. It could be something simple like me having my IDW from my IA, but if they are looking for SFF then I'm out of the running.

Like you said, you never know. I'll root for you man. Good luck. I sincerely hope everyone on this board makes it. A lot of guys and gals here really care about there career and aren't afraid to share their wealth of knowledge.

Guest SOY13

It's pretty quiet... Good night and good morning to anyone waking up... Gonna finish watching SYFY Shark movies leading up to Sharknado2 on Wednesday!! PUT THE "S" ON OUR CHEST!!!

Guest 688_EM1

The message detailing the requirements for CPO Heritage on the USS Constitution came out today and deadline for active duty CPO selects was Aug. 8. So at least we will know by then!! Haha

Guest Cryptorec1974

Hello everyone, figured I would pop in and say hello.  I have been lurking the whole time this year, hopefully the 6th time is a charm!  Good luck to everyone.

Guest shooter mcgavin

one day closer yall. if nothing else the discussion here is great to pass the time and maybe learn something new.

Guest Doc-Bigmac

<------  I must concur with the baby.  Everyone have a great day of anticipation and hopefully some new gossip!!

Guest GASMAN96

Good morning everyone just returned from a relaxing week of leave and now I'm ready for a triad notification!! Praying for the S!!

Guest UniformTangoCharlie

Good morning!  Nine times I saw the N, and once the S.  Hopefully the rest of you won't have to wait that long.  Looking forward to many of you lettings us know you got it!  Just being on this site, and posting your thoughts and some of your quals looking for insight shows that you care.