FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Anyone else thinking about their reaction to possibly being selected?  I figure either way i may rearrange some furniture around here!

Anyone else thinking about their reaction to possibly being selected? I figure either way i may rearrange some furniture around here!

Lol I honestly have no idea. I was thinking of ways to play it cool, but I think that's all going out if the window. If I don't pick up this yr, it will be an extreme letdown.

Guest shooter mcgavin

Anyone else thinking about their reaction to possibly being selected? I figure either way i may rearrange some furniture around here!

I will feel honored and humbled, excited and motivated! I imagine my head will be spinning and I will feel a range of emotions. Probably will feel on top of the world even though I still have to earn it. Which I will do with a smile on my face.

Have had a bunch of my sailors keep asking me when the results will be out and that they really hope I make it and they want me to be their Chief one day.

What a great feeling to know your guys and girls look up to you and trust you like that. It would truly be an honor.

Guest theET

Anyone else thinking about their reaction to possibly being selected?  I figure either way i may rearrange some furniture around here!

Its hard telling what I would do, my Div is currently UNDERMANNED due to POM for upcoming West Pac so I am usually out and about so I will have to wait for the 1MC announcement if they do it that is considering CO is on leave and CMC is in process of turning over with a new one (former ETCM so good news for my types).

I'll say it again =) The qualifications and write-ups are awesome.  Good stuff the more I read the better I think i'll get at writing evals in the future.  As for a Chief sponsoring you, I said something smart and got my Chief good last week. Unfortunately he mentioned "ya know I think I'll be your sponsor, you need one to introduce you. you're not going to like the introduction" =0  Such evil glee I tell ya, ahh well.  I've a few Chiefs who are out to get me, not in a bad way, so another reason to make sure i'm not completely fail physically wise.  Keep up the good knowledge and experience, loving these forums.

Anyone else get logged off after posting a comment?

oh, so that was you who sent that email. It didn't have a username and I'm too lazy to look up the email address, especially with 600+ members with whom a certain percentage do the same thing  ;)

Guest FCC_Thawk

I don't know how I'll react... Since I've been up so many times, I wouldn't be surprised if a complete flood of emotions came pouring out. I haven't had the career that a lot of you on here have, but if you make it to the board, you have a shot.

Guest Broadside77

The latest at my command is that our sponsor(all board eligble have one assigned) will come and tell us wether or not we made it.

That's the best way I ever seen that conducted. Last year I got a generic email sent to all nonselects telling them "Shipmate, I am sorry you were not selected for CPO. In the coming weeks you will have a CDB to discuss what you may need to work on."

Guest shooter mcgavin

That's the best way I ever seen that conducted. Last year I got a generic email sent to all nonselects telling them "Shipmate, I am sorry you were not selected for CPO. In the coming weeks you will have a CDB to discuss what you may need to work on."

So are selectees being notified as soon as the triad knows? Last year at my command if the triad knew first they waited until the list was public.

Guest NYC Rigger

So are selectees being notified as soon as the triad knows? Last year at my command if the triad knew first they waited until the list was public.

That's for each command to decide. Either way they will know before anyone does. What they decide to do is in their hands. The public list will be released the next day.

Guest RPC(Sel)FMF/SW

Just ready for the results to be out! Let's hope for news tomorrow. My Senior Chief is TAD all week. So no idea how word will get to me once they are either way.

Make a choice when it comes to Commissioning or CPO.  Consistent CPO recommendations only look better than both.  This also applies when it comes to going the LDO/CWO/any other commissioning routes.  If you want to be a Chief, write your evals for being a Chief.  If you want to be an Officer write them for being Officer.  Other than that looks good with strong quantifiable numbers/leadership.  Don’t forget about 365 involvement/mentorship though.

I did write towards CPO, as did my Chief. My CO added that because he wants me in the Wardroom. I do get what you're saying, but sometimes it's out of your hands to a certain extent.

Guest amcreed

The latest at my command is that our sponsor(all board eligble have one assigned) will come and tell us wether or not we made it.

I wouldn't like having a sponsor assigned before getting selected, but I would like the one on one finding out if I made it or not.  That would great.  I think mentors would be a good choice in that scenario.

I've heard conflicting info on this. I had put LDO as a recommendation on my first few PO1 evals until I got the same "either/or" guidance. I then started removing it from my evals based on this guidance, until I applied for LDO last year, and my HOD (an LDO) asked why there was a drop-off with being recommended. I explained that I was told to put one or the other.

He said that was bad info, and sold me on his reasoning, as well. Think about it... if 'Sailor X' is recommended for the LDO/CWO program, how could that possibly make him look bad to a CPO board? They're all leaders, regardless. If a board of MCPO's snub you simply because you're recommended (by your superiors) to be a mustang, they're fools. Same could be said about point to kill time until results post.

This. I've always felt this way, if others don't see it, I'm very surprised.

Guest SOY13

Well since everyone is posting thiers here is mine hopefully the S is there for all of us! or retire nun starts for me in SEP2014... Good luck everyone

USS John C. Stennis Senior Sailor of the Year!!

Ranked #1 of 326 HIghly Competetive FIrst Clas in the Command!!

- ANCHOR READY! Led 118 Sailors across 4 workcentera in the safe receipt and delivery of 11.7 million gallons of JP-5 while deployed in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. His foresight and mangerial skills ensured 100% division readiness and compliance for all training programs and certification requirements.

- CONSUMATE LEADER AND MENTOR. Conducted 411 career development boards leading his division to 75% rentention increase over the past year. He facilitated and supervised 60 hours of in-rate training, leading to a 90% advancement increase and 4 meritorious advancements. His sailors earned 50 air/surface warfare qualifications and his commitment to training was reflected in a 51% increase in warfare qualified sailors in the command.

- COMMUNITY INVOLVED. Coordinated and led numerous community outreach events for the First Class Mess, the Junior Enlisted Association and other STENNIS groups.

ALREADY PERFORMING AT THE LEVEL OF A SEASONED CHIEF!!!

SELECT THIS SUPERSTAR FOR ADVANCEMENT TO CPO NOW!!!

I've heard conflicting info on this. I had put LDO as a recommendation on my first few PO1 evals until I got the same "either/or" guidance. I then started removing it from my evals based on this guidance, until I applied for LDO last year, and my HOD (an LDO) asked why there was a drop-off with being recommended. I explained that I was told to put one or the other.

He said that was bad info, and sold me on his reasoning, as well. Think about it... if 'Sailor X' is recommended for the LDO/CWO program, how could that possibly make him look bad to a CPO board? They're all leaders, regardless. If a board of MCPO's snub you simply because you're recommended (by your superiors) to be a mustang, they're fools. Same could be said about an LDO/CWO appraisal board member. SSP means one thing. If you're truly awesome, you'd be awesome wearing either hat, officer or enlisted.

Not that I don't think those blocks don't matter when you're a CPO up for SCPO, but as an E6 up for both career paths, you're only limiting yourself if you choose one path this early in your career.

This is JMO of course, but it was successfully sold to me by an old wise owl 05, former CPO. If anything, we have a discussion point to kill time until results post.

This was the reasoning that was explained to me by my CO. I am applying for LDO this year, so it can't hurt. I really rather be Chief first, but if that S never comes I won't be caught putting my career on hold for it.