FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest DWeeB

If the placement of an enclosure number is of make-or-break importance to the Navy, then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

hey IDC, thanks for the assist, we got it figured out - on to bigger and better things...  :graphics-3d-smileys-283022:

Lol no worries Tony. All the thanks to you for this awesome forum.

• Like 1

Guest FT1SS

Was gonna disengage out of the forum for the weekend to clear my mind a bit but I am just so invested in the whole process that it's about all I can think about. Doesn't help when your chiefs mess is confident in you and making statements that they think you got the S, etc. Which is humbling in and of itself.

Guess the anxious energy is good I can't sit still for nothing so at least the house is clean, trucks washed and the grass is mowed lol. Gonna hit the gym tomorrow and find something else to clean!

I had a dream last night that the results were out... Woke up before I found out if I got that S. Is it bad that I'm dreaming about it now?
  • Like 1

Guest shooter mcgavin

Subject change here, but I have a question about my LTB this year. I consulted the crap out of the correspondence manual about where to put the enclosure (#) on a page printed in landscape orientation. What I read was basically the bottom right corner regardless of orientation. This sparked a huge debate among my peers and Chiefs alike. I took this to mean that if you are reading it then it will be in the bottom right corner. Many took that to mean that if you were reading a landscape page with it turned 90 degrees the enclosure would be on the bottom left and rotated. Any guidance from anyone with experience, maybe even a YN or PS?

I really sweat the details as I wanted nothing that could be perceived as a detractor. admin is a huge part of a chiefs job as well as attention to detail so it makes me wonder how much emphasis the board puts on the details. I wondered the same thing and consulted multiple chiefs and our Admin LCPO. Turns out most of the chiefs packages were not the same having minor differences in cover sheets and enclosure labeling. They all made it so it can't be too big of a deal.

In the end I went with what my trusted admin chief told me and my enclosures are listed bottom right as you would view the document if you were to print it out and read it since some of my enclosures are in portrait and landscape view. I tried to envision myself as a board member looking at a package. If that makes sense.

Guest amcreed

I had a dream last night that the results were out... Woke up before I found out if I got that S. Is it bad that I'm dreaming about it now?

I have that dream almost every night

I have also had that dream, but I was a select each time.....I think it just means that I want it that bad!

Guest NYC Rigger

I really sweat the details as I wanted nothing that could be perceived as a detractor. admin is a huge part of a chiefs job as well as attention to detail so it makes me wonder how much emphasis the board puts on the details. I wondered the same thing and consulted multiple chiefs and our Admin LCPO. Turns out most of the chiefs packages were not the same having minor differences in cover sheets and enclosure labeling. They all made it so it can't be too big of a deal.

In the end I went with what my trusted admin chief told me and my enclosures are listed bottom right as you would view the document if you were to print it out and read it since some of my enclosures are in portrait and landscape view. I tried to envision myself as a board member looking at a package. If that makes sense.

I did the same thing. I did some research and found that every ones package does vary when it comes to small details. In the end I believe your body of work will speak for itself. SSP wins the day every time.

Guest shooter mcgavin

I did the same thing. I did some research and found that every ones package does vary when it comes to small details. In the end I believe your body of work will speak for itself. SSP wins the day every time.

Absolutely. Those board members are looking at a hell of a lot of packages so if they are putting in the time to judge the minute details then the board process would take months. I have a chief that literally printed out "enclosure X" and scotch taped it to his documents; scanned into pdf and emailed in. Some of these taped enclosure labels were all cockeyed as hell which made me laugh. But he got the S because of his SSP no doubt.

Guest shooter mcgavin

I have also had that dream, but I was a select each time.....I think it just means that I want it that bad!

not having any dreams but wake up even more excited than the day before because its one day closer to knowing. Even though the board has concluded i can't say for sure that i got the dreaded N, so there is still a chance! makes me think of dumb and dumber.....

post-277-0-73832800-1406473653_thumb.jpg

Guest Broadside77

Thank you for the addition! I always lurk because I don't want to build my husbands hopes up so it doesn't hurt when he doesn't make it. However this year we know he won't make it too many moves and evaluation issues with this command but thought seeing good news and advice from others might cheer him up. How hard is it to recover from 2 years of no or limited collateral duties and or outstanding performance. Not knocking command everyone was in same boat. Only supposed to be in one place 6 months that turned into 2 years. Being on hold told to wait sucks for everyone. So we gave up hope this year and next. What are y'alls opinion? You think of he buckles down and really tried hard for those EPs he can give it a go in two years. He has all the nams and certs and awards he can currently get. Its the evals with nothing superior showing and no real leadership roles that's the issue the past two years. He was an A school instructor with tons of EPs before this command. Funny how that works :) hoping y'all will tell me two years is reasonable :) love it here and good luck all. Before we get down on ourselves E6 is totally respectable. Many get tenured out before that so pat yourselves on the back! Sorry for any typos I'm on phone and I am a horrible texter!

The ironic thing is the ones that feel they have no shot are the ones that make it. Two years ago a First in the intel dominance community swore they wouldn't make it cause they received a DWI 4 years prior to the board. Low and behold, she picked up. Good thing she picked up too cause she is an awesome chief. I guess what I am saying you never exactly know what the board looks for each year. It also depends on who looks at the record and what they value. Since your husband was an instructor, a MTS would probably view that very favorably. The craziness of all of this is if you get the ticket /SBE than you just never know.

Guest amcreed

The ironic thing is the ones that feel they have no shot are the ones that make it. Two years ago a First in the intel dominance community swore they wouldn't make it cause they received a DWI 4 years prior to the board. Low and behold, she picked up. Good thing she picked up too cause she is an awesome chief. I guess what I am saying you never exactly know what the board looks for each year. It also depends on who looks at the record and what they value. Since your husband was an instructor, a MTS would probably view that very favorably. The craziness of all of this is if you get the ticket /SBE than you just never know.

I'm in a similar boat that she is in.  I got a drunk and disorderly NJP 4 years ago and I don't think that I have a shot.  Everyone tells me it's possible and I have seen it happen, but the odds are stacked against me.  Especially when it's only a 18.6% chance.  The results aren't out yet so there is still hope for me!

Guest Broadside77

I'm in a similar boat that she is in. I got a drunk and disorderly NJP 4 years ago and I don't think that I have a shot. Everyone tells me it's possible and I have seen it happen, but the odds are stacked against me. Especially when it's only a 18.6% chance. The results aren't out yet so there is still hope for me!

Honestly a D&D is less serious than a DWI in my eyes. A D&D can be as simple as passing out in front of the barracks. Which always blew my mind because I rather people do that on base as opposed to out in town....but that is another debate entirely.

Guest amcreed

Honestly a D&D is less serious than a DWI in my eyes. A D&D can be as simple as passing out in front of the barracks. Which always blew my mind because I rather people do that on base as opposed to out in town....but that is another debate entirely.

Yeah, it wasn't that bad at all, but the command wanted to make an example out of me because it was a precomm.  Suspended bust and 30 days restriction.  Got my NJP "P" eval, came back and got #6 out of 40 something EP next cycle.  Also, I have a command DAPA designation now.  I have been trying everything to get bounce back from that.  We'll see if I have done enough.

Guest Mentalbender78

The precept speaks directly about that. It states that we are not a zero defect Navy and a mistake followed by documented recovery is not to be a dis-qualifying factor. An alcohol related incident followed by a EP and command DAPA should not have that bad of an effect. Would probably be used as a tie breaker, but that is it. SSP!!!!

Guest Blondie

Yeah, it wasn't that bad at all, but the command wanted to make an example out of me because it was a precomm.  Suspended bust and 30 days restriction.  Got my NJP "P" eval, came back and got #6 out of 40 something EP next cycle.  Also, I have a command DAPA designation now.  I have been trying everything to get bounce back from that.  We'll see if I have done enough.

The amount of time it's been since the D&D with no further incident plus the DAPA designation should all but clear that up.  At least, that's how I would view it.

Guest amcreed

The precept speaks directly about that. It states that we are not a zero defect Navy and a mistake followed by documented recovery is not to be a dis-qualifying factor. An alcohol related incident followed by a EP and command DAPA should not have that bad of an effect. Would probably be used as a tie breaker, but that is it. SSP!!!!

The amount of time it's been since the D&D with no further incident plus the DAPA designation should all but clear that up.  At least, that's how I would view it.

How many times have we all heard "It isn't as much about what you did to fall down, but how well you pick yourself back up?" Your situation seems to be a perfect example of picking up like a boss. Interested in seeing whether you prove them all right. An NJP P to a ranked EP is just awesome!

Yeah, it was hard to do, but worth it in the end.  It ended up being a very successful tour.  This tour as well.  Only had two year orders and went from my welcome aboard "P" to 11 of 104 "EP".  This is my best shot so far and we will see if I have done enough of a "bounce back".  I will for sure let you all know!  Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I really hope the days fly by, the anticipation is killing me.  Hoping amcreed and i get our liberty curtailed sometime this week.

Guest SOY13

Firstime user and this is my Last ride...Sailor of the Year and number overall on a carrier!!! Even though everyone says I am a shoe in the only thing guareented is my FLeet reserve msg!! Hoping for the "S" and a few more years to serve with some awesome shipmate out there GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Guest Mentalbender78

I think the sure fire ticket for Airframers is LPO, SFF, full systems along with all the other volunteer and SSP. SFF seems to be the make or break. Any input on this????