FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest LastChanceNC1

I think that the board will be able to see through it and know why, but I do know a very very strong first who absolutely should have been a Chief that bumped heads with his leadership, got a transfer P. He was Sailor of the Year two years in a row at his next command, but retired as a FCPO. I know another strong FCPO that had a mast at 4 years and 11 months that didn't pick up and had to retire. Also was a SSOY. On the other hand, I know guys with mediocre evals with PFA failures that have been picked up and another guy who made it with a hazing mast in his record at the 4 year mark. You really just never know.

You never do know. It just makes me flip flop on my feelings everyday. One day I'm day dreaming about phase 2 and the next I am beefing up my resume and job hunting. We have a pretty decent quota. So we'll see.

Guest Blondie

I know another strong FCPO that had a mast at 4 years and 11 months that didn't pick up and had to retire.

Getting masted seems like the kind of thing that most folks get out of their system before they get that first service stripe.  15 years is pretty deep in the game to be doing silly stuff like that.

Guest amcreed

Getting masted seems like the kind of thing that most folks get out of their system before they get that first service stripe.  15 years is pretty deep in the game to be doing silly stuff like that.

He was in tool issue and they lost some tools.  He was the one that fell on the sword.  Pretty rough that it happened so late in his game.

Guest amcreed

So don't get discouraged as long as you are doing the right stuff, it doesn't matter if your first eval at your command is a P, however if you went from an MP to a P at the SAME command then that will be a no go.

Actually you can go from an EP to MP to P, aka going down in promotion recommendation, if it's a new reporting senior.  Last year I saw a guy pick up that went from an EP to MP at the same command, but it was a different reporting senior.  His write up was solid and it explained it.  That is the key. 

Guest Blondie

He was in tool issue and they lost some tools.  He was the one that fell on the sword.  Pretty rough that it happened so late in his game.

That's rough.  But yeah, tool accountability is no joke.  I've had more than a few flights CANX because the AWV's toolbox was minus one wrench.

Guest LastChanceNC1

Something to consider. A detractor for the board is an eval that says "Already performing at the level of a Chief Petty Officer!!! Promote Now!!!" with a P and a 3.14. The write up doesn't match the ranking... In your case, if your first eval was what you said, then an MP then an EP, then you are showing positive honest progression at your command and the board will look favorably at that. The Key is Sustained Superior Performance in a multitude of tough assignments. Most of the Chiefs that were selected last year and the year prior at my commands were selected on P or MP evals. Very few EP's. So don't get discouraged as long as you are doing the right stuff, it doesn't matter if your first eval at your command is a P, however if you went from an MP to a P at the SAME command then that will be a no go. But in your case you went P MP EP which is EXACTLY what they are looking for. I am doing a recruiting tour and recieved Rookie Recruiter of the year and recieved a NAM for it in less than a year and I STILL got a P, but I am not taking it personally, because that is how it goes and that is what is expected. I honestly wish they hadn't adjusted my eval to look like an EP and gave me a P.... I hope that helps!

Yeah i wasn't as worried about the natural progression as I was abou the actual closing statement. What NRD?

Every brief I've gotten says that they do not take how many times you been up into consideration. I've been told that one your last look you won't get any extra points, but they'll spend a little extra time on your package just to make sure they didn't miss anything.

AMCREED said he did pick up. I do understand both sides of the argument, I guess it would depend on how it was justified in the write up.

Guest Papitai

I have a very good friend pick up Chief last year after he went down from a EP to a MP. However, it was with a different Reporting Senior, so it IS possible...

~Batman

Guest amcreed

eh ... I disagree with that.  Unless this individual made chief then I wouldn't make it an exception to the rule.  Because basically, only the top percentage of Sailors are going to get and EP and slight amount more are going to get an MP, so that means he moved down to the bottom of his peers over the course of three years in the same command AND he isn't showing upward progression.  I would highly doubt that the board would look favorably on that regardless of what the eval right up says because they are saying that we are incorrectly ranking this person down every eval and we know it... It just doesn't make logical sense to me.  Now if he had a 4.0 and the reporting senior average changed from 3.43 to 3.14 and his eval dropped to a 3.43 with an explanation while keeping him at an EP, then that would be understandable with a write up, but to go down to a promotable with a write up that says he is an EP?  Well that just sends a message to the board...  If I was sitting the board... I dont think I would be pushing the vote button...

He went from an EP to an MP at the same command, but had a different reporting senior and made Chief off of the MP eval.  He made it last year as a CS.  It was a big deal because he thought he was sunk, but it was explained to him that because of a different reporting senior, he was GTG.

Guest amcreed

Well then I guess I stand corrected, but, if they don't look carefully enough or his presenter thought it smelled fishy... Well it could go either way.  But an Ep then MP then P, man that would be hard to explain... and that doesn't make much sense to me.  But I could understand the EP to MP.  That could make sense, especially if the RSA had a very small margin.  I had an issue with my eval in that I was the number one MP ranked below the CO's average because he refused to rank above his RSA unless it was an EP so ...

How far below were you ranked on the RSA?  Where did you fall at with the SGA?

No solid date from the MCPON concerning triad notification.  :(

The TRIAD release of selection results are going through reivew and will be coming soon. V/r, MCPON

Guest Papitai

You would think that knowing how important that is to his future Chiefs, he would expand just a little more.. A week? Days? Hours? lol!

It was less than a tenth of a point.  I think I was 3.43 and the RSA was like 3.52 or something like that.

Also, it is refreshing to have good civilized converstations on here regardless of our viewpoints.  Always a pleasure Tony!!!  Thanks for moderating so well and slapping our hands when we need it!!!

:graphics-3d-smileys-139353:

thanks, the different views are a good thing for learning...  :)

Guest Blondie

23 members to 71 guests on.  That is a lot better ratio than we have been seeing lately, but it could still use some work!  Register while you can folks.  It's better on the inside :graphics-3d-smileys-082254:

Guest Submarine Radioman

I am shocked how quickly someone asked that question!  But we are all human!

I typed it out beforehand and was practicing my F5 skills, lol.