FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest FT1SS

Did anybody else hear any rumor about the results coming out sometime this week? I'm still calling it for the last week of July but it would be nice if it's this week so I can stop stressing and dreaming about the results. Lol.

Yea. check out the last 9-10 pages or so... Apparently a few of the Master Chiefs that sat the board are hinting at a release this week.

Yea. check out the last 9-10 pages or so... Apparently a few of the Master Chiefs that sat the board are hinting at a release this week.

No, it didn't come from the Master Chiefs that sat the board that I know of but there is scuttlebutt on this week nonetheless

Definitely agree about it being expected to hold a WC spot. I know exactly what you mean about the evals reading "look at how amazing I am as a MA1" see it quite a bit, I think to many WC's try to ride through alone on their direct leadership numbers (which is great, but has to be backed up with other things). I think the reason the Watch Commanders do so well at my installation, eval wise, is they all branched out and took on things at the base level. My last five years that were looked at this time: Harbor LPO, Harbor LPO, IA (Afghanistan PSD), WC, WC. I got the bump to LPO right after the last eval cycle, so unfortunately it's not documented on any evals, I did get SSOQ though for the 2nd Quarter so I included the LOC for that in my package which stated my new position. Just hope my last two WC evals stand out enough from the crowd. We shall see, the numbers are strong this time, I'll take my chances with 29% anytime. Best of luck, hope you are on the list.

Very good observations. MA is an extremely competitive rating in terms of making Chief because they all have similar jobs. I remember when we used to do SOQ and ranking boards for MAs and their write ups all look the same. People who get the EP slots or SOQ/SOY are those that go the extra mile and lead in other ways. Get the command wide collateral duties; do them well and you will break out from the pack.

Guest FT1SS

My CMC that sat the board held a meeting/training with all FCPOs yesterday. He reviewed the NPC slide about the CPO Board and discussed some aspects of the board and what they looked for w/o being too specific. He hit on eval writing hard, mainly detractors, fluff, hard/soft kills, and breakout statements. It was pretty good training that last about 1.5 hours. Before the training my confidence level was around a 5. Now I'm about 8. He mentioned it may be a few of us that made it, but that he didn't want ruin anyone's moment and also jeopardize the integrity of the board. He then went on to say that we should see results next week. Fingers crossed.

No, it didn't come from the Master Chiefs that sat the board that I know of but there is scuttlebutt on this week nonetheless

Tony, apparently for the most part you were right. I thought there were a least a couple, but definitely one. 

I'm getting antsy!

• Like 1

Tony, apparently for the most part you were right. I thought there were a least a couple, but definitely one. 

I'm getting antsy!

no I see, I thought you were talking about the email thread scuttlebutt. Interesting though...  :)

Guest Blondie

How much weight does an "MOVSM" hold when getting compared to others who don't have it, my CMC reviewed my MOVSM award and said it looks good and he will be routing it up to the CO this week. I will be up for chief next year, and I'm thinking it has to be worth something good.

From what I've read, having a MOVSM gives you maximum points in whatever the category for volunteering is referred to as.  I've also read that it doesn't matter if you have 10,000 hours, if you don't have the MOVSM you will not receive maximum points in that category.

That being said, every board is free to come up with their own point values so this may not apply.  In any case, it is better to have it than not.

edit:  I would be professionally remiss if I didn't mention that volunteering/public service has not historically been a precept for selection in the senior enlisted boards, so don't slack on SSP and leadership/mentoring of subordinates thinking the MOVSM will carry a lot of weight.  It may break a tie but it won't get you all the way.  Use the precepts as a roadmap and you can't go wrong.

Guest HawaiiGM

Everybody please review the guidelines as I had to earlier thanks and hooyah! The season is upon us shortly!

The way the MOVSM and volunteer time was explained to me. The MOVSM will max you out on points in that category, so it may help if you are needing the extra points to make it to the next phase. When they are doing the "cuss and discuss" someone without the MOVSM who has documented time leading other Sailors in volunteer events will outweigh the person going in with XXX hours documented on an MOVSM as just being a participant. The Individuals leading other Sailors in COMRELs are instilling a mindset and setting the future generation up for success.

Guest Papitai

I've seen so many people ion my time have a "perfect" record and not make it. (MOVSM, SOY, EP, LPO at Sea, etc) Then some Sailors in the same rate have none of that and pick it up early. It's really a mistery to me. I just keep working hard and looking out for my Sailors. I won't deny that getting the "S" would be AWESOME, and I really want it, but even if I didn't,  I would still consider this year to be a great year because I advanced 5 out of 7 junior Sailors in the March exam and I know the other two will pick it up in September (They only missed it by 3 points). Here's hoping that I get to join everyone else in my division advancing this year!

Good luck everyone!!

~Batman

Guest NYC Rigger

I've seen so many people ion my time have a "perfect" record and not make it. (MOVSM, SOY, EP, LPO at Sea, etc) Then some Sailors in the same rate have none of that and pick it up early. It's really a mistery to me. I just keep working hard and looking out for my Sailors. I won't deny that getting the "S" would be AWESOME, and I really want it, but even if I didn't,  I would still consider this year to be a great year because I advanced 5 out of 7 junior Sailors in the March exam and I know the other two will pick it up in September (They only missed it by 3 points). Here's hoping that I get to join everyone else in my division advancing this year!

Good luck everyone!!

~Batman

Well spoken and congratulations on training your replacements! If you are not selected (god forbid) you are already thinking and performing as the Chief you just in the wrong uniform ahahahaha keep it up!

Guest Msduval2u

if the scuttlebutt is accurate, then I suppose we will see something tomorrow or Tuesday for the Triad to verify their access

Don't get me excited for nothing AdminWarrior...my heart will be pounding all day every time my phone rings lol

Guest Msduval2u

well then, tomorrows not a good day for coffee...  :bigemo_harabe_net-08:

Lol I'm going to lay off on the coffee for the next few weeks

Guest Blondie

Now am getting upset.. all of the volunteer work that are on my eval. my previous command did not no the rule on the awards so even though I led my recruiting district in volunteer hrs they did not approve my award 

You can still be put up for it.  As far as I know there isn't a time limit, it just has to be within a three year period.  I put a sailor of mine up for it for work he did a few years back and it went through.

Guest Msduval2u

You can still be put up for it. As far as I know there isn't a time limit, it just has to be within a three year period. I put a sailor of mine up for it for work he did a few years back and it went through.

Some commands will push it through. My CO had no issue and signed mine right off. My hubby's ship require documented hours, a certificate and a letter from the organization. I guess they wrote their own instruction for what was required although big Navy states that a certain amount of hours is not required...

Guest Blondie

Some commands will push it through. My CO had no issue and signed mine right off. My hubby's ship require documented hours, a certificate and a letter from the organization. I guess they wrote their own instruction for what was required although big Navy states that a certain amount of hours is not required...

Did they require a certificate from the organization even if the hours were documented in an eval?  I have used evals as primary documentation for otherwise lost documents in the past and they have always been accepted, since it has to be vetted once to make it onto an eval anyway.

I've read the instruction awhile back and didn't keep most of my certificates from volunteering. All was documented in my evals, but my command shot down my award because I didn't have certificates or letters for volunteering. Even though they did believe me they wanted to set the standard at the command.

Guest LCarp3

Did they require a certificate from the organization even if the hours were documented in an eval?  I have used evals as primary documentation for otherwise lost documents in the past and they have always been accepted, since it has to be vetted once to make it onto an eval anyway.

Everyone interprets the instruction differently. When I received my MOVSM, I had a lot of COMRELs. Additionally, I had a letter from the YMCA stating that had volunteered 50 hours. The kicker that put me over the top was that I established the command's Adopt-A-Spot program. My CMC at the time told me that if the event went off without a hitch, he wanted me to submit my paperwork. He kept his word, the same day of the event, he told my Chief to get the paperwork done....had it in my hand about a month later. Overall, I had nearly 400 hours over a 7-year span.

Guest Msduval2u

Even with it being documented on his eval

I put in an Movsm for one of my second classes who spent five years at the command with tons of documented community work in his evals but the CO turned it down for lack of letters from organizations. I advised him to try again at his new command and his new CO approved his Movsm within 2 weeks of checking in. The old CO is a SWO and the new one is a pilot. Just saying.

Guest SC031401

At my last command in Japan I saw three people get approved for the MOVSM and only one disapproved.  All had documentation certificates from places like Youth Sports and Fleet and Family in Atsugi.   The one that was disapproved performed the volunteer work back stateside.  Its all up to the individual signing the 1650 and definitely seems easier to get it overseas in smaller communities like Atsugi. 

Guest Mentalbender78

I had over 600 hrs a year as a volunteer fire fighter/EMT on four consecutive evals as a second class and my CO denied it because I was a second. As soon as I picked up first I routed it through the same chain of command and it was approved. I had letters from the station as well as a life saving medal. I think it depends on the mood and personal views of the final approver.