FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest NYC Rigger

Ok I have heard the refrence CNP call out every year but can never get an answer to what that means exactly. Anybody know?

Ok I have heard the refrence CNP call out every year but can never get an answer to what that means exactly. Anybody know?

Call out is when the board president meets with the CNP to convince him that the board went smoothly without any glitch. If the CNP buys what the Board President is pitching, he will validate the results and they can be released immediately after his approval.

• Like 1

Makes me wonder if mine was ok..... Difference is i was IN a Chief Billet for 3 yrs; prior to just transferring in Aug last yr. So i WAS the Bn Chief. So my eval did say exactly that kind of stuff. Currently preforming at a Chief level, ect ect. Great addition to the Chief mess, type closing statements. Does that still count as a "Hard Kill"??

No.  That's what they want to see.  They want to see that you are already performing at the CPO level or that you are wanted in the Mess.  A kill is just saying that you are underachieving and don't deserve to be in the Mess.

I never put assignment in rate as a recommendation.  That basically says, comfortable where at.  I take the intentions of my Sailors and what we've discussed at CDBs and annotate what would be a favorable recommendation, STA-21, instructor, etc.  BIG no no to assignment in rate shipmates.

Yeah I always put one position and one school/program, like what you were saying LDO, STA-21, Fiber Optic, 2M, etc for one box and LPO at sea, WCS or something like that in the other.

black, LS is a surface rating, although you're aviation at heart, the rating is surface

Thinking about getting some Brown shoes to wear with Khakis if i get the "S", just because i want to see all the furrowed brows, and head shakes. Not Air side in anyway (if you dont count Jump Wings). lol  Just funny how mad ppl get over something thats not a regulation at all!!

This is my first time up, I've never paid attention to this. Is this something that is publicized?

as far as when call out has happened not really but is something we (seasoned guys and gals) look for in this forum.

Did anybody else hear any rumor about the results coming out sometime this week? I'm still calling it for the last week of July but it would be nice if it's this week so I can stop stressing and dreaming about the results. Lol.

Been a while since I've logged on, but I'll give my answers to some questions I saw...

Major purchase if selected: A nice watch and add-ons to my existing tattoos (Polynesian sleeve and chest plate).

Who will I contact if selected: My wife and Ohana! Biggest supporters of my career!

Summary letter: Sent one last year. Per NPC presentation in FAQs, it stated not to send in anything not official; in particular Summary Letters. I didn't want to deviate from instruction this time.

Predictions to board list release date: Personally, I'm hoping what everyone is speculating on a triad notification of 24 July and public release of 25 July to be true; realistically to go with the 6-week induction season, 31 July triad notification and 01 August would fit the schedule. Let's all hope for next week!

Good luck brothers and sisters! Hope to see the "S" next to our names! Until then...stay true to yourself and your Sailors! Aloha!

This is my first time up, I've never paid attention to this. Is this something that is publicized?

The only thing publicized are results that follow. If the CNP is not satisfied with the board's proceedings, he or she may order a reboard. This is rare but not uncommon.

Guest KJAN0105

How many aviation Sailors went in with safe for flight? Seems to me it is the big ticket item.

Got my SFF before I transferred. I don't know if that will be looked at negatively.

Guest DeepseaPanda

Did anybody else hear any rumor about the results coming out sometime this week? I'm still calling it for the last week of July but it would be nice if it's this week so I can stop stressing and dreaming about the results. Lol.

Im hoping for the results to be out this Thursday as well. The only thing that makes me think the 30th or the 31st is an email from the Chiefs Mess for a scheduled end of Phase 1 BBQ on the 29th. 

good luck MA, served with the security side of the Navy from 09-12, interesting and good times at with them, do it again if I had to

Solid! Which command? In Guam we had YNs in our department...they were awesome! My grandfather was a Yeoman!

Im hoping for the results to be out this Thursday as well. The only thing that makes me think the 30th or the 31st is an email from the Chiefs Mess for a scheduled end of Phase 1 BBQ on the 29th.

We had our last CPO 365 Phase I training and PT session yesterday...no word from our CMC regarding results, just predictions for next week release!

Guest NavySquid79

We had our last CPO 365 Phase I training and PT session yesterday...no word from our CMC regarding results, just predictions for next week release!

Where are you at? Nice to see a fellow MA on here. I'm out in White Beach Okinawa. 29 percent is pretty good odds! Hopefully we both get that S next week!

Where are you at? Nice to see a fellow MA on here. I'm out in White Beach Okinawa. 29 percent is pretty good odds! Hopefully we both get that S next week!

10-4. I'm out of Hawaii. We'll be good; 29% is awesome! Even bettah when we see the "S"! Good Luck!

10-4. I'm out of Hawaii. We'll be good; 29% is awesome! Even bettah when we see the "S"! Good Luck!

Question for you both, we were having a discussion at work the other day and I'm curious about your thoughts on it. We were all talking about how a lot of the board briefs specifically say they want to see Watch commander for MA's, but very rarely do we see the Watch Commanders pick up. Watch Commander is probably one of the more stressful positions to have in an active Security Department, so I see why they call it out specifically, just doesn't seem to match up with who we see getting the big "S" each year. How often do you see MA1's rolling into the board with Watch Commander listed as primary duties, getting selected?

Guest NavySquid79

Question for you both, we were having a discussion at work the other day and I'm curious about your thoughts on it. We were all talking about how a lot of the board briefs specifically say they want to see Watch commander for MA's, but very rarely do we see the Watch Commanders pick up. Watch Commander is probably one of the more stressful positions to have in an active Security Department, so I see why they call it out specifically, just doesn't seem to match up with who we see getting the big "S" each year. How often do you see MA1's rolling into the board with Watch Commander listed as primary duties, getting selected?

This is an age old discussion. Based on my observations, the lpo's of security departments are usually the ones getting selected over the watch commanders. The rare occasions I've seen a watch commander pick up is usually because that individual was a new check in and was lpo at his/ her previous command.

But I totally agree, wc is a stressful position. But for a MA1, it is the expected position. If you are a MA1 and your job total is patrolman you are behind the power curve. The lpo's of security departments are usually tried and tested watch commanders first, then chosen to lead key divisions and programs within security.

I actually asked my MACM about this specific question not too long ago. He told me that when he sits a board and starts reviewing hundreds of MA1 sbe's, they all start to look the same, "watch commander leads XX personnel in...". He told me that the Sailors that would catch his eye were the lpo's doing things out side the badge (command indoc coord, command petty officer leadership coord, dctt member, esws program coord, etc). He explained to me that MA1's love to fill their evals with stuff that says " look at how great of a MA1 I am" instead of " look at how I'm performing as a MAC". Chiefs manage programs and lead departments, lpo's do the same thing.

Disclaimer: I have been a wc for 6 years, a dept lpo on a big deck and a cmaa on a small boy, and currently training div lpo.

This is an age old discussion. Based on my observations, the lpo's of security departments are usually the ones getting selected over the watch commanders. The rare occasions I've seen a watch commander pick up is usually because that individual was a new check in and was lpo at his/ her previous command.

But I totally agree, wc is a stressful position. But for a MA1, it is the expected position. If you are a MA1 and your job total is patrolman you are behind the power curve. The lpo's of security departments are usually tried and tested watch commanders first, then chosen to lead key divisions and programs within security.

I actually asked my MACM about this specific question not too long ago. He told me that when he sits a board and starts reviewing hundreds of MA1 sbe's, they all start to look the same, "watch commander leads XX personnel in...". He told me that the Sailors that would catch his eye were the lpo's doing things out side the badge (command indoc coord, command petty officer leadership coord, dctt member, esws program coord, etc). He explained to me that MA1's love to fill their evals with stuff that says " look at how great of a MA1 I am" instead of " look at how I'm performing as a MAC". Chiefs manage programs and lead departments, lpo's do the same thing.

Disclaimer: I have been a wc for 6 years, a dept lpo on a big deck and a cmaa on a small boy, and currently training div lpo.

Definitely agree about it being expected to hold a WC spot. I know exactly what you mean about the evals reading "look at how amazing I am as a MA1" see it quite a bit, I think to many WC's try to ride through alone on their direct leadership numbers (which is great, but has to be backed up with other things). I think the reason the Watch Commanders do so well at my installation, eval wise, is they all branched out and took on things at the base level. My last five years that were looked at this time: Harbor LPO, Harbor LPO, IA (Afghanistan PSD), WC, WC. I got the bump to LPO right after the last eval cycle, so unfortunately it's not documented on any evals, I did get SSOQ though for the 2nd Quarter so I included the LOC for that in my package which stated my new position. Just hope my last two WC evals stand out enough from the crowd. We shall see, the numbers are strong this time, I'll take my chances with 29% anytime. Best of luck, hope you are on the list.

Guest NavySquid79

Definitely agree about it being expected to hold a WC spot. I know exactly what you mean about the evals reading "look at how amazing I am as a MA1" see it quite a bit, I think to many WC's try to ride through alone on their direct leadership numbers (which is great, but has to be backed up with other things). I think the reason the Watch Commanders do so well at my installation, eval wise, is they all branched out and took on things at the base level. My last five years that were looked at this time: Harbor LPO, Harbor LPO, IA (Afghanistan PSD), WC, WC. I got the bump to LPO right after the last eval cycle, so unfortunately it's not documented on any evals, I did get SSOQ though for the 2nd Quarter so I included the LOC for that in my package which stated my new position. Just hope my last two WC evals stand out enough from the crowd. We shall see, the numbers are strong this time, I'll take my chances with 29% anytime. Best of luck, hope you are on the list.

I completely agree with you, wc leadership is great but it's even better with the complete package. Congrats on SSOQ and the new position! I also took it for the 2 nd q and sent in my FLOC just in time. I hope it helps! Good luck to all of us this cycle.

IDK if they know something that I dont know because they talk to my  Master Chief who sat the board.

they know absolutely nothing or there would be ramifications beyond your command. your Master Chief knows that.  BBb)

but on the other side, it's probably your Master Chief who is telling the other Chief's "He's a good guy, Let's mess with him"   :lol: