FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Guest Msduval2u

My leave is supposed to start on the 28th...hubby's POM period...hope both of our leaves get interrupted with good news

My CMC that sat the board held a meeting/training with all FCPOs yesterday. He reviewed the NPC slide about the CPO Board and discussed some aspects of the board and what they looked for w/o being too specific. He hit on eval writing hard, mainly detractors, fluff, hard/soft kills, and breakout statements. It was pretty good training that last about 1.5 hours. Before the training my confidence level was around a 5. Now I'm about 8. He mentioned it may be a few of us that made it, but that he didn't want ruin anyone's moment and also jeopardize the integrity of the board. He then went on to say that we should see results next week. Fingers crossed.

Eval writing technique is EXTREMELY important for you and the a Sailors you lead. Their selection depends on how well you master the technique.

Guest TAKEAROUNDTURN

Eval writing technique is EXTREMELY important for you and the a Sailors you lead. Their selection depends on how well you master the technique.

So dogg way to get us thinking what would say was soft and hard kills? The list is somewhere and its all done. Maybe they just pull straws ? That would be funny. Just racking my brain So how many times have we all reviwed our records?

Guest Mentalbender78

I see a lot of the people posting here getting selected. Seems most on the forum are in tune with their careers and what is required. I work in a large command and I see most of the First Classes not really focusing on what they need to accomplish. Most just complain about the command or how the Navy is screwing them over. LAZY!!! Looks to me like it is spelled out as to what you need to do to get selected.

Guest TAKEAROUNDTURN

I see a lot of the people posting here getting selected. Seems most on the forum are in tune with their careers and what is required. I work in a large command and I see most of the First Classes not really focusing on what they need to accomplish. Most just complain about the command or how the Navy is screwing them over. LAZY!!! Looks to me like it is spelled out as to what you need to do to get selected.

Yes i agree, it just surprises me that people dont focus on their careers i could tell just meeting ADMINwarrior that guy gave a care about his career. i guess jenkballs is right i feel like most of us have the right track. So like i said above how much of us have scrutinized our packages and careers trying to find the bad stuff. Like the Motto says. "You are your worst Critic." 

How many aviation Sailors went in with safe for flight? Seems to me it is the big ticket item.

I didn't, but I'm hoping pulling SSOY off at an FRC when I'm an O-level AT will put me over the edge without it.

Guest Mentalbender78

I didn't, but I'm hoping pulling SSOY off at an FRC when I'm an O-level AT will put me over the edge without it.

Should be good

So dogg way to get us thinking what would say was soft and hard kills? The list is somewhere and its all done. Maybe they just pull straws ? That would be funny. Just racking my brain So how many times have we all reviwed our records?

Hard/soft kills come in many forms. It's more of the message it's sending than a particular phrase. For example, CMC said that in one of the 4 boards he sat that one eval had a closing line something to the effect of the "performs at the level of a seasoned FCPO and perfectly suitable for the FCPO Mess." That's def a hard kill.

Soft kills are more about what it doesn't say like simply saying "recommended for promotion" or "recommended assignment in rate". It's make you think why isn't this person highly recommended. Also, the write up and trait avg should match. I guy can't be the best thing since sliced bread and be ranked number 39 of 41. He said they see a lot of that.

Guest LCarp3

I'm hoping to see some results maybe this coming Thursday but, that's only wishful thinking...probably the following Thursday like everyone is predicting

Well, I noticed that NKO is going down on Sat, Jul 26. Supposedly for an "update to maint data center". This could be to update NAC with all the selection statistics. I may be reading too much into things, but here is: in light of the previous, I am predicting Thursday, Jul 24 triad release and public release the following day.

• Like 1

Well, I noticed that NKO is going down on Sat, Jul 26. Supposedly for an "update to maint data center". This could be to update NAC with all the selection statistics. I may be reading too much into things, but here is: in light of the previous, I am predicting Thursday, Jul 24 triad release and public release the following day.

i really don't think so since the databases are two different animals, I believe, but very interesting about the dates. I just don't know triads login process. 

Hard/soft kills come in many forms. It's more of the message it's sending than a particular phrase. For example, CMC said that in one of the 4 boards he sat that one eval had a closing line something to the effect of the "performs at the level of a seasoned FCPO and perfectly suitable for the FCPO Mess." That's def a hard kill.

Soft kills are more about what it doesn't say like simply saying "recommended for promotion" or "recommended assignment in rate". It's make you think why isn't this person highly recommended. Also, the write up and trait avg should match. I guy can't be the best thing since sliced bread and be ranked number 39 of 41. He said they see a lot of that.

Makes me wonder if mine was ok..... Difference is i was IN a Chief Billet for 3 yrs; prior to just transferring in Aug last yr. So i WAS the Bn Chief. So my eval did say exactly that kind of stuff. Currently preforming at a Chief level, ect ect. Great addition to the Chief mess, type closing statements. Does that still count as a "Hard Kill"??

Guest Mentalbender78

Makes me wonder if mine was ok..... Difference is i was IN a Chief Billet for 3 yrs; prior to just transferring in Aug last yr. So i WAS the Bn Chief. So my eval did say exactly that kind of stuff. Currently preforming at a Chief level, ect ect. Great addition to the Chief mess, type closing statements. Does that still count as a "Hard Kill"??

It's a kill if your a First said to be performing as such. A first said to be performing as a chief is good

Guest Blondie

No.  The example Geechie03 posted was "performs at the level of a seasoned First Class Petty Officer and perfectly suitable for the First Class Petty Officer Mess"

Guest Msduval2u

Either way, or whenever the results are released, I'm just ready to know so I can either put on khakis (preferred option) or put in my paperwork to retire...

Guest Msduval2u

I hope it's to put on Khakis and leading these junior YNs, which is the most versatile rate IMO

I would proudly do that :) prayed on it already.

Great examples. Assignment in rate as PO1 is telling the board you are not ready for Anchors. I have seen break out EP evals with assignment in rate recommendation. Remember, an EP with a reckless write up is a soft kill. You need to ask during your eval debrief why they made that recommendation. Some folk only look at the EP block during debrief and don't care about reading the rest of the eval. An inexperienced CPO and reporting senior may not know that certain remarks could ruin an otherwise good eval.

With the MCPON out here in San Diego I dont think its going to be next week.

You should care more about the CNP's schedule. Results are only released after a call out with the CNP. Hopefully, he is not on leave.

• Like 1

I hope it's to put on Khakis and leading these junior YNs, which is the most versatile rate IMO

Khaki looks best with brown shoes. Good luck!

Guest LCarp3

Khaki looks best with brown shoes. Good luck!

In my opinion, Khakis look best w/ brown shoes without the cover. When covered with the combo, they look better with black because all the trim is black. If I make it, I can decide should I don black or brown. I am an LS, but I came in the Navy as an Aviation Storekeeper (AK) and I earned my air pin first and still wear it on top of my surface to this day. Thoughts: black or brown for me?