FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Interesting note on OCS. My board was yesterday and results are in Bol today. It is definitely possible to get results pushed out quickly. It would be nice if cpo results went to something similar in the future.

Then the process to make cheif wouldnt be as eliusive or mysterious like the Wizard of OZ.

Since it appears we won't know our fate until tuesday, everyone have a nice relaxing weekend with the ones you love. Next week will hopefully the beginning of the funnest six weeks of my life.

While it appears as if the chief results won't be coming out today, I just found out that I got selected for OCS!

Wow!! Great news! Congrats!

May I ask how you have come to find that out?

I was told by a good source to check my Bol and found the prorec Y. If you want to know anything more specific feel free to pm me.

Guest NYC Rigger

Tony if no one has told you lately you are the man! The time you put into keeping this forum up and running is much appreaciated! With out you I am sure there would be a lot of people that would have gone section 8 a long time ago. This site is a place where we can moan and groan without any judgement thank you!

Guest RJMIII

Congrats to those of you who advanced in OCS! Seems rather odd that they would hold those boards so close together, specifically for the reasons we had mentioned previously though. Generally speaking, for most rates, if your package is good enough for the O's it is likely its good enough for the Mess. Im sure the Navy has its underlying reasons to do both when they do. Its obviously out of our control so why fret? Maybe someday when we are the CNOs and MCPONs we can affect some board timing changes lol

Guest CM1_SKI

I have been told that when you make SOY you generally do not make chief that year, but they pay it forward the following year.  Is there any truth to this?

Guest charlesb

If you don't get selected, you'll never know how you ranked out so even if that person did "waste" a billet, you still didn't have what it takes to make Chief, so there's no point in getting upset about.  What people should be upset with is what they were missing and why they didn't make Chief and what they could do better the next time rather than needlessly being upset with other people.  If you get the N, you didn't rank out.  That is all there is to it.  So next year, get in the tank and make yourself marketable... 

Are you saying that "having what it takes to be a Chief" is based solely on the quotas?  IOW, if you have 50 people up and only 5 billets, those 45 non selects don't deserve to be Chiefs.  If that's the case, what are evals and the exam for?

So where my profile sheet says "could not be advanced due to quota limitations" is just a lie to make me feel better about it?  

Of course, it would be a lot easier to know what I'm missing if I actually got useful feedback from the board.

Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of next years.

Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:50 AM

To

Subject: STATUS OF RELEASE OF CPO RESULTS

Leadership Mess,

Below is the story that will be in the Weekly Wire/AHC tomorrow that our

sailors will see.  As always, try to give you the first look.  Vr/  April

New Chiefs Names to be Release Next Week

Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs Office

WASHINGTON - The names of active duty Sailors selected to advance to Chief

Petty Officer by the Fiscal Year 2015 E-7 Selection Board are scheduled to

be posted to commands' BUPERS Online (BOL) accounts Tuesday, Aug. 5, at 9

a.m. EDT, with public release via NAVADMIN 24 hours later on Wednesday, Aug.

Approximately 3,900 quotas were announced in June, with overall advancement

opportunity of 24.09 percent for this cycle. This was a 2.59 percentage

point drop from last cycle though still above 10-year average of 22.7%.

The selection board is not required to fill all quotas; only the best and

most fully qualified candidates will be selected for advancement.

Because the Navy advances to vacancies, opportunities vary by rating.

Advancement planners work to smooth overall opportunity across cycles.

This is the gospel. Now we all know that ready or not, next week is writen in stone. Use this time wisely and  take care of your stuff. Once you see that "S" next week, your life will be changed for ever literarily. Good luck to all and we are looking forward to celebrate with you all. Since we are not in a pefect world, some good Sailors will be passed on. We are still here to comfort you as well. For those that will be forced to retire, you should be very proud to give 20 years of your life to this country! You deserve all the respect.

Guest CM1_SKI

Use this time wisely and  take care of your stuff. Once you see that "S" next week, your life will be changed for ever literarily. 

For those that will be forced to retire, you should be very proud to give 20 years of your life to this country! You deserve all the respect.

1.  Time to clean the garage that I have been putting off for a while!

2.  By no means, is there any shame in serving your country for 20 years!  I agree with you!

Congrats to those of you who advanced in OCS! Seems rather odd that they would hold those boards so close together, specifically for the reasons we had mentioned previously though. Generally speaking, for most rates, if your package is good enough for the O's it is likely its good enough for the Mess. Im sure the Navy has its underlying reasons to do both when they do. Its obviously out of our control so why fret? Maybe someday when we are the CNOs and MCPONs we can affect some board timing changes lol

At least for SWO, Pilot, and NFO the boards are rolling boards so they happen every 90-120 days or when xx amount of applications are received.  It happens more often than you think.  There have probably been about 8 or more OCS boards since we tested in January for CPO. 

I have been told that when you make SOY you generally do not make chief that year, but they pay it forward the following year.  Is there any truth to this?

I'll let you know, I made it the past two years in a row, so based on your theory I would have to wait another year. 

Guest Blondie

"Advancement planners work to smooth overall opportunity across cycles."

I'm interested to know more about this process.  Some questions I have:

1. What factors are taken into consideration when determining quotas?  Certainly retirements, discharges, etc., but what else?

2. When do the factors stop taking effect and start applying towards the next fiscal year?  Meaning if a Chief retires in December, would that open up a quota?  What about a Chief that retires in March?

3. Who is responsible for determining quotas?  Who is responsible for approving them?

Guest LastChanceNC1

I'll let you know, I made it the past two years in a row, so based on your theory I would have to wait another year.

hahaha humble brag! Congrats!

Are you saying that "having what it takes to be a Chief" is based solely on the quotas?  IOW, if you have 50 people up and only 5 billets, those 45 non selects don't deserve to be Chiefs.  If that's the case, what are evals and the exam for?

So where my profile sheet says "could not be advanced due to quota limitations" is just a lie to make me feel better about it?  

Of course, it would be a lot easier to know what I'm missing if I actually got useful feedback from the board.

Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of next years.

1.  There was a number one select and someone with an N didn't have what it takes to get that spot.  There is also a number 45 out of 45 and the person who got 46, didn't have what it takes to get that quota either.  So in a nutshell, a person with an N didn't have what it takes to get that quota.

2. Those 45 people have years from their TIR eligibility to "Ask the Chief" what they can do to make themselves more competitive each year to move up the ladder and if they never do then the WERE NOT the Best and Most fully qualified.  The exam is to get your foot in the door the Evals are to report what you are doing to move up the ladder.

3. The quota limitations goes like this.  If they had 100% advancement then you would have been picked, but the Navy only has a certain number of quotas to fill.  You weren't ranked high enough in the tank to get one of the quotas so again, you didn't have what they were looking for.

4.  The precepts are released to tell you what you need to do to improve and the Chief's mess is there to help you succeed as well.  The bottom line is that someone who gets the S did more and reported more to the board than the person who got the N. 

I am sorry that you don't have any years left, to pick up, but this might be your year... Maybe you have what it takes to be number 46 out of 50 this year???

Guest CM1_SKI

I made it for FY12 and did not make chief (last years look) so I will see for this years look.  In my case I hope that it is correct.

Guest DocGomer8404

I made HMC the same year as SOY, and I know a few other guys who made it after SOY as well. Maybe it depends on how far you made it into the SOY process.

Tony if no one has told you lately you are the man! The time you put into keeping this forum up and running is much appreaciated! With out you I am sure there would be a lot of people that would have gone section 8 a long time ago. This site is a place where we can moan and groan without any judgement thank you!

just want to say a quick thanks , i'm in and out since I'm slammed but thanks, it's fun

Guest cali_gmwife

Okay - Question time...

I decided to help distract my husband all weekend with silly fun things after the kids go to bed...  but I don't want to push him to hard and keep asking him if he is ok...  so help me out....

things you don't want to hear from people this weekend... and go...

I was selected for SOY and also got the "S" this year for HMC(First time up) at 8.5 years.

Guest CM1_SKI

I was selected for SOY and also got the "S" this year for HMC(First time up) at 8.5 years.

So from what I am seeing is that it not true.  Hopefully it is my rate then, because I have had #1 ranked EP's well above the CO's average (even my MP's are above the average), SOY, multiple SOQ's, JPME's, PME's, proper Sea shore rotation, all quals I can get and then some, 8 nams, MOVSM etc.etc.etc.  It is frustrating because I have had multiple master chiefs that have sat the board in years past tell me that they have no idea why I have not been selected yet.  "This should be your year Seabee"!! they tell me!!  Don't know!

Guest CM1_SKI

I forgot to put in that I have FCPOA President, Vice President, CMEO, UPC coord, CPO365 Coord and all supporting documentation on the eval to support them.

I forgot to put in that I have FCPOA President, Vice President, CMEO, UPC coord, CPO365 Coord and all supporting documentation on the eval to support them.

Dunno brother. Seems like you got it all and then some. Kinda makes me think if your ssp doesnt get you selected, what chance in hell do i have? :)

My Wife was SSOY for her Ship last year so we will see what happens, she does have SSP which is the ultimate ideal.