FY 15 Chief Selection Board

Everyday that the results are not released I picture a correspondence folder (sometimes its red sometimes yellow) with a routing sheet attatched to the front of it sitting on someones desk collecting dust ahahahahah am I the only one?

In my mind it's an email being sent around

Guest theET

In my mind it's an email being sent around

I picture similar but not being sent around but keeps getting the "Out of office reply"

• Like 1

Guest SOY13

Could anyone post some recommendations for spouses on the best way to support their loved one in the event of either an "S" or an "N"?

rejoice if your spouse makes it and support if not, remind your spouse not to throw the towel in if they don't make it. It's about the both of you and the pride you have for each other at the end of the day!!! Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!

Off topic for you two AC types. How many Commands have you been to where they do NOT allow the techs to have the code to AATCC/CATCC im curious cause I have been to 4 ships and all but one I have had the code to CCA but for some reason the ACC will NOT give it out to the ET's. Any thoughts on that matter.

I have been on the TR and IKE and the techs always had the code...IMO, the relationship with the techs is paramount to a successful team.

Agreed!  Essex and BHR our techs had the code, we got along with all the techs pretty well and they never failed us when we needed something done.

Anyone start thinking yet about how they will write their selectee eval?  My SEL put something out about wanting E6 evals turned in by the first week of Sept, and looked at a few and said and for those of you that are going to make chief, start thinking about your E6 closeout.

So, I realize that everyone is looking forward to the results coming out. It's never too early to start working towards next year, though (because everyone here will make it and need to mentor their subordinates, right? Right.) With that in mind, earlier this year I sat in on a CMC's brief to our command's Chiefs and FCPO's. He sat the board last year, and the following were my takeaways:

1) Everyone asks about Career Summary Letters. His response: depends on the individual grading your particular record. Some liked it, some did not. This particular CMC did, as it allowed him to refine his focus while searching the record. However, he did caveat that with the fact that if it was written in the CSL, it HAD to be supported in the record or in the LTB. He also stated that not having it did not detract from the record for him; there really was no correlation between having it or not having it and the chances of making the final cut.

2) Designation letters. CSOOW, EEOW, ATTWO, etc...if it's an important watch or qual, include the LOD. If it's something like a letter of des for MWR, don't include *unless* you held an actual position. When asked about including it if it was already mentioned in the eval, he said "yes", for a couple of reasons. First, it might get overlooked in the eval, especially if it's only mentioned in that block with quals, education, etc. Second, the LOD is dated, and shows how long the person has been trusted with that qual or watch. Someone who had it for almost a year gets more points than someone who got it, say, May 20th. BUT...even getting it May 20th is better than not at all.

3) Volunteer/education: definitely get the MOVSM if possible. Definitely get a degree if possible. Not going to get you all the way by themselves, but will definitely help.

4) Don't leave recommendations for duty assignments blank. Period. When asked, "CPO at Sea" is perfectly acceptable to put in. Be specific where possible...don't just put in generics.

5) "I do/do not intend to submit a statement." Not everyone gets along with their command, not every command is perfect. If you feel that you have a legitimate gripe against your eval, and you've done everything you can do to fix it before you sign it, you are perfectly within your rights to submit a statement. However: if you DO check off the "submit a statement" box, do so, and sooner rather than later. While you're at it, be specific, and don't bash your command. The amount of time you take to submit a statement, as well as the content of the statement, both send a message to the board...and the underlying message is "how well does this prospective CPO handle adversity with his/her command?"

Hope this helps, and good luck to all!

• Like 1

After seeing all the 1 of 300+ breakouts here, I'm starting to not feel good about my breakout of 14 of 131 and #2 in the dept(FDNF) as the Acting LCPO for 8 months. I felt pretty good in the beginning for first time up but now I'm not expecting the "S" anymore. I just want the results now so I can move on and start studying again for FY16.

Don't worry, each of us has a story behind the evaluations we received. Yours is great too just stay positive and stress free.

So, I realize that everyone is looking forward to the results coming out. It's never too early to start working towards next year, though (because everyone here will make it and need to mentor their subordinates, right? Right.) With that in mind, earlier this year I sat in on a CMC's brief to our command's Chiefs and FCPO's. He sat the board last year, and the following were my takeaways:

1) Everyone asks about Career Summary Letters. His response: depends on the individual grading your particular record. Some liked it, some did not. This particular CMC did, as it allowed him to refine his focus while searching the record. However, he did caveat that with the fact that if it was written in the CSL, it HAD to be supported in the record or in the LTB. He also stated that not having it did not detract from the record for him; there really was no correlation between having it or not having it and the chances of making the final cut.

2) Designation letters. CSOOW, EEOW, ATTWO, etc...if it's an important watch or qual, include the LOD. If it's something like a letter of des for MWR, don't include *unless* you held an actual position. When asked about including it if it was already mentioned in the eval, he said "yes", for a couple of reasons. First, it might get overlooked in the eval, especially if it's only mentioned in that block with quals, education, etc. Second, the LOD is dated, and shows how long the person has been trusted with that qual or watch. Someone who had it for almost a year gets more points than someone who got it, say, May 20th. BUT...even getting it May 20th is better than not at all.

3) Volunteer/education: definitely get the MOVSM if possible. Definitely get a degree if possible. Not going to get you all the way by themselves, but will definitely help.

4) Don't leave recommendations for duty assignments blank. Period. When asked, "CPO at Sea" is perfectly acceptable to put in. Be specific where possible...don't just put in generics.

5) "I do/do not intend to submit a statement." Not everyone gets along with their command, not every command is perfect. If you feel that you have a legitimate gripe against your eval, and you've done everything you can do to fix it before you sign it, you are perfectly within your rights to submit a statement. However: if you DO check off the "submit a statement" box, do so, and sooner rather than later. While you're at it, be specific, and don't bash your command. The amount of time you take to submit a statement, as well as the content of the statement, both send a message to the board...and the underlying message is "how well does this prospective CPO handle adversity with his/her command?"

Hope this helps, and good luck to all!

Any thoughts on if you check "intend to make a statement" and then you don't submit one?  That is one thing that I've been thinking about lately.  I got an eval once that I didnt agree with and discussed it with my chief, and our SEL and the bottom line that they finally came back with was that I was doing all the right things to have gotten an EP, but based on demographics, I didn't make the cut.  That blew my mind.  I was very upset about it and told them that I would be submitting a statement.  Later after I cooled down and talked about it more with my chief and a mentor, I decided not to submit.  This is going to be my only E5 eval that the board sees this year.  Hope it doesnt hurt too much. 

My personal take on it is that they try to release the results as close to last week of July as possible...If the results are a day or week late, then that is simple a challenge to the Chief's Mess to do the same great job in less time....6 weeks...5 weeks. ..come on...Chiefs aren't forged in weeks...They simply fine - tuned and recalibrated...They will try their best to release it this week, but if not...no biggie for only a 5 week phase 2...again just my 2 cents from a non-Chief.

Agree.... Agangchief's first post on this forum is about the results being delay.  I would think an informant would have multiple posts and known source over time. I think the results will still be this week.

Agree.... Agangchief's first post on this forum is about the results being delay.  I would think an informant would have multiple posts and known source over time. I think the results will still be this week.

I disagree with your reasoning.  ;)

Any thoughts on if you check "intend to make a statement" and then you don't submit one? That is one thing that I've been thinking about lately. I got an eval once that I didnt agree with and discussed it with my chief, and our SEL and the bottom line that they finally came back with was that I was doing all the right things to have gotten an EP, but based on demographics, I didn't make the cut. That blew my mind. I was very upset about it and told them that I would be submitting a statement. Later after I cooled down and talked about it more with my chief and a mentor, I decided not to submit. This is going to be my only E5 eval that the board sees this year. Hope it doesnt hurt too much.

My last OIC handled that situation for me in the following way. I had #1 MP, and for the opener he put "Read this carefully! GM1 is an EP sailor, but due to regulations I am forced to give him an MP reccomendation. He is rated against another E6 in an acting detachment CPOIC role!"

I hope this will carry some weight with the board.

Guest AEGFC87

Everyday that the results are not released I picture a correspondence folder (sometimes its red sometimes yellow) with a routing sheet attatched to the front of it sitting on someones desk collecting dust ahahahahah am I the only one?

I swear my SEL had not less than half a dozen conversations with my AOIC (my OIC is on leave) today and my heart skipped a best every time I saw her in his office.

Guest CTNuke

I could use another week.  The waiting is really annoying but I need more time to get everything ready.  In a two week period I had/have Comic Con, pack out, results, cross country trip, set up new house, and wife starting new job.  Topping this all off my next duty is one of the hardest Navy schools.  The timing of all this is amazing.  For the record Comic Con was a very high priority for me and my wife.  We met Weird Al, it was awsome.

• Like 1

I could use another week. The waiting is really annoying but I need more time to get everything ready. In a two week period I had/have Comic Con, pack out, results, cross country trip, set up new house, and wife starting new job. Topping this all off my next duty is one of the hardest Navy schools. The timing of all this is amazing. For the record Comic Con was a very high priority for me and my wife. We met Weird Al, it was awsome.

I hate to admit it, but I wouldn't mind another week to get ready physically...I anticipate some VERY long distance runs, and although I can definitely tough it out I would be wrecked after.

Guest Wifey

Could anyone post some recommendations for spouses on the best way to support their loved one in the event of either an "S" or an "N"? 

This is my husband's third time up and I've learned a lot. First I thought he would really need some building back up and be incredibly bummed about it and dwell but I think for people who are successful FCPOs that's not their style. He was disappointed for sure but realized the decision was made and he needed  to charge hard into the next eval to make the following  year even better. I really feel that this will be his year (for both Chief and LDO), but the nature of boards like these  is that  sometimes you never know. That being  said maybe just greet them at the door  (if they're home) with a cold beer  and give  them some space. They'll refocus soon enough. 

Guest AM1P-3LetsGo

I could use another week. The waiting is really annoying but I need more time to get everything ready. In a two week period I had/have Comic Con, pack out, results, cross country trip, set up new house, and wife starting new job. Topping this all off my next duty is one of the hardest Navy schools. The timing of all this is amazing. For the record Comic Con was a very high priority for me and my wife. We met Weird Al, it was awsome.

Man what I would have given to have been at the Avengers concept art and mini trailer unveiling. It sounded epic

Any thoughts on if you check "intend to make a statement" and then you don't submit one?

The board won't know you changed your mind...all they'll see is that you checked that box, and then didn't follow through. Give them the info they need.