FY-16 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

Good day all!  I am new to this forum and new to the LDO process.  I am a reservist on ADSW orders, specifically assigned as an LPO entering my fourth year on CANREC orders assigned to NRD Pittsburgh.  The designator that I applied for was 641X.  I have been in the Navy for 11 years as of October 1, 2015.  Any idea when the selections will be released.  I am a PS1(SS).  I had a large break in service prior to reaffiliating with the reserves, hence the PS rating with dolphins.  Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Guest YNC(SS)

Good day all!  I am new to this forum and new to the LDO process.  I am a reservist on ADSW orders, specifically assigned as an LPO entering my fourth year on CANREC orders assigned to NRD Pittsburgh.  The designator that I applied for was 641X.  I have been in the Navy for 11 years as of October 1, 2015.  Any idea when the selections will be released.  I am a PS1(SS).  I had a large break in service prior to reaffiliating with the reserves, hence the PS rating with dolphins.  Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

A PS with fish... Weird!  Good luck to you brother, What boats were you on? 

When it comes to Submarine 641Xs having COW or DOOW will of course help.  Let me know if I can help.

USS INDIANAPOLIS (SSN 697) AND USS OLYMPIA (SSN 717).  Was a YN in my former life.  When I reaffiliated with the reserves they only had PS available so I took it.  Really a YN at heart.  Was out for almost 18 years and joined the Reserves.  Do you know typically how many 641X applications are submitted.  Only 4 seats available might make for a tight race...

Guest YNC(SS)

USS INDIANAPOLIS (SSN 697) AND USS OLYMPIA (SSN 717).  Was a YN in my former life.  When I reaffiliated with the reserves they only had PS available so I took it.  Really a YN at heart.  Was out for almost 18 years and joined the Reserves.  Do you know typically how many 641X applications are submitted.  Only 4 seats available might make for a tight race...

For the reserves, I have no idea.

Welcome Aboard Subman1 - From the looks of it you and I will be competing for one of the four seats (of course that's if the board decides to fill them all).  Fingers crossed!  Good Luck to you PS1, recommend you click on the link MM1(SW) posted several posts ago.  Lots of good info from previous boards, to include number of applications submitted for both the Reserve and Active components.  Being that the number of applications are quite low, when compared to the Active side our chances for selection are a little better.

This is my first time applying, as well as my first time being eligible to apply.  How long did it take you to get your packet together?  It took me about a year with no support whatsoever from my Reserve COC.

Wow, 18 years is a pretty long time, congrats on coming back in.  I cannot imagine the process you probably had to go through to come back in.  My process took about a year.  I have an eight year break in service, and coming in at nine years of Active and Reserve service time.

V/r, YN1(SW) 

Welcome Aboard Subman1 - From the looks of it you and I will be competing for one of the four seats (of course that's if the board decides to fill them all).  Fingers crossed!  Good Luck to you PS1, recommend you click on the link MM1(SW) posted several posts ago.  Lots of good info from previous boards, to include number of applications submitted for both the Reserve and Active components.  Being that the number of applications are quite low, when compared to the Active side our chances for selection are a little better.

This is my first time applying, as well as my first time being eligible to apply.  How long did it take you to get your packet together?  It took me about a year with no support whatsoever from my Reserve COC.

Wow, 18 years is a pretty long time, congrats on coming back in.  I cannot imagine the process you probably had to go through to come back in.  My process took about a year.  I have an eight year break in service, and coming in at nine years of Active and Reserve service time.

V/r, YN1(SW) 

Thanks for your timely response YN1!  I cannot find the post that stated the historical data concerning the applications submitted.  I'm old so maybe I missed it!  I came back in the Reserves as a PS (formerly a YN aboard two submarines) under the DPEP program.  That program utilized a Navy matrix concerning my prior service and my civilian experience all rolled up into one.  Once in the Reserves, I accepted an appointment as a CANREC recruiter in my hometown.  I was onboard two months and became the LPO of the Recruiting Station and have been here just shy of 3 years.  Pretty tough assignment but I enjoy talking with applicants and sharing my Naval experience with them.  This, too, is my first time applying for LDO, as I cannot make CPO while under the ADSW orders; which I tried to argue until I was blue in the face - to no avail.  Well here's to all of us attempting to make it!  Kind regards,

Hey PS1, from what I hear Recruiting is a very tough assignment with very long hours and then you have to add the madness of dealing with the folks at the MEPS.  Lol.  I'm a DoD Civilian and a former Military Processing Tech /HRA at the local MEPS so I understand.  I was one of the nice MEPS employees in the processing section.  I really enjoyed interacting with the applicants and processing their paperwork and just like you sharing Navy stories.  Thank you for what you do.  Thanks to you and all recruiters I had a job and applicants to process in to the Military. 

My almost ten years of service in the Navy consist of three years of being forward deployed aboard an amphib out of Sasebo, Japan at the time (late 90's), awesome tour, traveled throughout Southeast Asia and Australia, four years of staff duty as Admin LPO (early 2000's) on Pearl Harbor and recently as a reservist, a year as an Enlisted Aide to the Commanding General (acting Flag Writer as I don't have the NEC) Army General for a Special Forces Unit and the rest of the time Admin Department Head for the local reserve center's Operational Support Unit - a unit of over 150 Sailors.  Currently back on a drilling reserve status, expected to go back on orders here in early February - will be supporting a Flag Officer this time around.  

How much longer will you be on ADSW orders?  Once again good luck to you.

V/R YN1(SW)

Hey PS1, from what I hear Recruiting is a very tough assignment with very long hours and then you have to add the madness of dealing with the folks at the MEPS.  Lol.  I'm a DoD Civilian and a former Military Processing Tech /HRA at the local MEPS so I understand.  I was one of the nice MEPS employees in the processing section.  I really enjoyed interacting with the applicants and processing their paperwork and just like you sharing Navy stories.  Thank you for what you do.  Thanks to you and all recruiters I had a job and applicants to process in to the Military. 

My almost ten years of service in the Navy consist of three years of being forward deployed aboard an amphib out of Sasebo, Japan at the time (late 90's), awesome tour, traveled throughout Southeast Asia and Australia, four years of staff duty as Admin LPO (early 2000's) on Pearl Harbor and recently as a reservist, a year as an Enlisted Aide to the Commanding General (acting Flag Writer as I don't have the NEC) Army General for a Special Forces Unit and the rest of the time Admin Department Head for the local reserve center's Operational Support Unit - a unit of over 150 Sailors.  Currently back on a drilling reserve status, expected to go back on orders here in early February - will be supporting a Flag Officer this time around.  

How much longer will you be on ADSW orders?  Once again good luck to you.

V/R YN1(SW)

Finding "Nice" MEPS folks is sometimes very difficult.  But I do understand their heartburn with some of the Recruiters - as they often cause more problems than good.  Very nice resume with duty stations.  I saw enough of the far east to be good for a lifetime.  I am on these orders for a total of 5 years if I do not decide to convert to NC.  Tough decision - hence the LDO route.  Thank you once again for all you do and the support you extend. 

V/R

PS1(SS)

Guest YNC(SS)

Have any of the 641X applicants received any feeback from the board member's?

What kind of feed back do you expect to hear?  Technically they're not supposed to tell you anything until results come out, and even after that, they don't tell you much.  Are you Sub or Surface?

I am surface.  Yes, I know they can't tell very much, if anything at all but was just looking to see if anybody had heard any basic info like how the good the competition was or some pointers someone may have received.

Guest Mustang6235

You'll never know about the competition. Its easier to find out information about secret troop movements than a navy advancement board.

I am surface.  Yes, I know they can't tell very much, if anything at all but was just looking to see if anybody had heard any basic info like how the good the competition was or some pointers someone may have received.

I am not sure about other designators, but from what I was told by a previous board member, the competition for 6412 (ADMIN) is gruesome. I believe the reason is because 6412 usually has the most applicants and a lot of them are very familiar with the program.

Guest YNC(SS)

This is the part I despise the most knowing the list is out just awaiting the chop to CNP. Good Luck to everyone hopefully 2nd time is the charm... :)

From what I understand, this is the time where they run "background" checks on those nominated.  Before they send the list to CNP.  Once the list is up to CNP it doesn't take very long at all, it's all the prep before that.

I am not sure about other designators, but from what I was told by a previous board member, the competition for 6412 (ADMIN) is gruesome. I believe the reason is because 6412 usually has the most applicants and a lot of them are very familiar with the program.

Dogg,

Is the 6412 competition your are referring on the active or reserve side of the house?

This is the part I despise the most knowing the list is out just awaiting the chop to CNP. Good Luck to everyone hopefully 2nd time is the charm... :)

Yeah it's pretty hard waiting knowing that someone out there knows whether or not I made it. I guess we will both have to wait and see. Again, best of luck to both of us.

Dogg,

Is the 6412 competition your are referring on the active or reserve side of the house?

I am sure that includes the reserve too. Most administrative ratings know about the program even as an E4. I personally knew about the program as an E 4 because all their application had to go through admin.

Reserve Admin LDO's are 6415 (SELRES), Full Time Support (FTS) are 6417.  A 6412 is an Admin LDO of the Regular Navy whose permanent status is enlisted.  Good Luck to all... we should know our faith in a few weeks.

Reserve Admin LDO's are 6415 (SELRES), Full Time Support (FTS) are 6417.  A 6412 is an Admin LDO of the Regular Navy whose permanent status is enlisted.  Good Luck to all... we should know our faith in a few weeks.

There's no FTS LDO. If selected as FTS, you become 6412 like other usn selectes

• Like 1