FY-16 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

Guest YNC(SS)

An out-of-office message for one of the board members says he will be back in the office on Feb 2nd.

I think they just pick random dates.  The one I've been checking says Jan 30.

I think they just pick random dates.  The one I've been checking says Jan 30.

Yeah the senior 6410 says Jan 31st, so it looks like they will go for 3 wks unlike last board. I have started having that Feeling again if you know what I mean.

I really wish I was eligible for 741X too. The numbers have been pretty decent as compared to previous years when they used to select only about 4 or 5.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for allowing me to join the forum I am excited to be a part of it. I am writing on behalf of my husband I'm sure he will jump on here later to check it out. Just trying to get more insight and help learning about the LDO program my husband applied for. He has been told he has a good chance and extensively looked and corrected his package. Although it is his first time applying what would you say his chances are? He is a young YN1 and I believe will have 9 years for the FY-16 if I am gathering information correctly. He had had all EP evals and had his first E-6 Eval this November having him 6 of 45... he has been LPO at sea,acting LCPO, and ship secretary at sea as an E-5 due to a gapped billet issue.... anyhow his appraisals for his board were outstanding. We're really hoping and praying for this as I am sure all of you are and you are all very deserving of the opportunity. Just trying to see what all the board entails as I'm sure most of you know. Thanks in advance for a the time and response to help me understand. I can't wait to see who on here gets selected this year!!! I am prior enlisted IT so I understand some of the lingo I just didn't know much about the LDO program in general.

Guest Mustang6235

Just like with any secret navy board, it's impossible to say. Someone will look brilliant on paper and not get selected. Someone else will get selected and you'll just have to say wow.

The board could say he's a rising star and select him, or they could say they need to see more than one e6 eval.

But I'm confused how he got his first e6 eval in November, but was chief board eligible last year?

@ sea dog....

Thanks for the reply... yeah thats kind of the scenarios we have played back and forth...and my apologies I didn't clarify.... his first E6 Eval he was still in a frocked status and took the exam for ldo purposes... how many times have you applied? What would you say your weaknesses were if you had to guess I know they don't tell you why or why not.

Not weaknesses really as in sure you had a strong package... but what may have been a deciding factor for selection vs non selection... if you had to guess...

Guest Mustang6235

First time applying. Being a reservist at a small NOSC, there was only 1 LDO that I knew, and he had recently transferred out. So its hard doing things over email and such.

I'm #2 of 12 first classes on eval, and a 1 of 1 LDO applicant in command. So it may hurt I'm not in a large summary group and had no command LDO competition. I don't know. Trying to prepare for chief season and not get my hopes up.

I see yeah I have heard it's harder coming from commands that don't have as many LDO applicants but I have also heard some get picked up idk seems like a wild card.A lot of people say getting picked up your first time is rare but we have known more than several people who got selected first time up and we have only been 2 places getting ready to PCS again in May. So did you not apply for LDO for FY-16? Good luck with chief everybody has their time!

Guest Mustang6235

I applied for the FY-16 LDO board. I didn't last year and really kick myself for it.

Its just such a crap shoot. The reserves is going to be completely different than the active side also. I try not to get to excited about any of it. But this next month its going to be impossible not to think about. Chief test Feb 8.....going to be hard taking it without knowing these results.

First time eligible to apply, took the YNC test for the first time last FEB and made board.  The next step for me was to get my LDO packet ready for the board’s review.  As a Navy Reservist the process of putting the LDO packet was somewhat difficult and the lack of Admin LDO’s in the area was very challenging.  I was pretty much on my own.  The reserve center did not provide much of any support.  It took me a good 8-12 months to get my packet to where I wanted it to be and also get all the interviews completed.  Quotas are down two from last year for ADMIN, we will see, either way it will be competitive.  Good luck to all aspiring LDO's.  Wish you all the best.

Enjoy your weekend,

V/r, YN1(SW)  

Yes I wish they could come out with results early for people in your situation.... seems like it would make more sense doesn't it cost the navy money to administer and print more tests than actually needed I'm sure if people knew they were selected they wouldn't take an exam. Maybe I am not making much sense but that's just a thought. @Navy Yeoman good luck with the upcoming results... I am sorry you had such a difficult time getting everything together hopefully the hard work pays off! My husband is also ADMIN but on AD and had mentioned quotas going down by 2. I just wish everyone could make it haha. I know it feels extremely competitive that's what husband keeps saying!

Guest YNC(SS)

I know something hurt some people last year for the Admin LDOs was Time in Service.  But every board is of course different.  Hopefully the board will end soon and we can really start getting nervous.

I know something hurt some people last year for the Admin LDOs was Time in Service.  But every board is of course different.  Hopefully the board will end soon and we can really start getting nervous.

Right! I'm already nervous... geez I can't imagine actually being in the shoes... and I don't want to stress husband out anymore hahhaha I can tell he is anxious!!!

Anyone heard number of applicants for the active and reserve sides?

I asked TJ (husband) last night and he said he didn't think he would know the actual # of applicants until after selections were made?! Not sure if this is correct info again this is our first time doing this...

Guest Deepsea23

Quick question,

After the precepts released, my designator had a very critical "blurb" for anyone with the NEC 5931 (Underwater Construction Advanced Tech) that the board would pay very special attention to this NEC when considering selection due the "Critical undermanning in the construction dive field". I am currently a 5932 Basic U/W tech in school for the 5931 NEC. I called NPC and asked about a late submittal and was encouraged to send the docs verifying all info is valid. So, my question is, have any of you submitted an addendum or document after the DEC 1 time frame? If so, what were the results if you are aware of them? My appraisals were not as good as I had hoped (nerves) so I was not very optomistic. However, the precepts gave me a new found hope for selection.  

Best of luck to all of you.

Hooyah

Guest YNC(SS)

I asked TJ (husband) last night and he said he didn't think he would know the actual # of applicants until after selections were made?! Not sure if this is correct info again this is our first time doing this...

You'll never know the number of applicants.  But if he is a Yeoman, our designator (641X) normally has the most applicants.  Ballpark around 500.  It really becomes a dog fight towards the end. 

You'll never know the number of applicants.  But if he is a Yeoman, our designator (641X) normally has the most applicants.  Ballpark around 500.  It really becomes a dog fight towards the end

Yikes!! Geez I knew there were a lot but 500 just for ADMIN! Maybe I was being a little naive. Well its all in God's hands we can just pray that the hard work and dedication has payed off... if not now I know it eventually will for him. How many times have you applied? You are in the flag writer community now? When did you pin on anchors? Tj almost went flag writer.