Jump to content
Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts


Tony
4 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Figured I'd rip the bandaid off, and get the party started for next year.  Unless my phone is lagging, and someone already started a FY 20 thread.

You are so awesome!

  • Like 1
  • Cool! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pebz

Welcome to the party! So, I asked on the other forum, do people really contact the “board” to get feedback? Is that really a thing to do? How would you approach that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AME1
11 minutes ago, Pebz said:

Welcome to the party! So, I asked on the other forum, do people really contact the “board” to get feedback? Is that really a thing to do? How would you approach that? 

So I can't say I've heard of anyone doing that.  I don't know how much feedback would be given.  The board process is sacrosanct, and the oath they take to not disclose the process never expires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pebz
46 minutes ago, AME1 said:

So I can't say I've heard of anyone doing that.  I don't know how much feedback would be given. 

Reading back to the first few pages of the FY19 forum, it looks like people reach out to specific board members or members they knew to get them to review their submissions and get feedback in how they can improve. For me, being a semi-small rate with only 1 in rate member sitting the boards, that I don’t personally know, I don’t think I’ll reach out. No offense to the people that do, but it just seems like a petty move to make. As much as I’d like to get solid feedback from a sitting member, I can’t help but feel like it’s pouty “why didn’t you pick me” move. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I’ve had 3-5 people review my record and LTB each time that have sat previous boards. Just don’t have the magic bullet yet I guess. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MoeW

I'm in...after reviewing my evals. I just need to change my entire process.

  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pebz
42 minutes ago, MoeW said:

I'm in...after reviewing my evals. I just need to change my entire process.

I’m feeling that way too. I’m having a hard time accepting responsibility over my evals. I’ve been writing what I considered great evals for at least 7 years now but they always get chopped to pieces and I’ve never been happy with what I sign. Poor write-ups. I’m older now and more lessons learned. This was only my 2nd time up but seeing the people that did pick up, it’s gotta be my evals. I personally know for a fact, box for box I’m overall better than some of them. Only thing they have on me is more time and maybe better written evals. I can’t think of anything else. Back at it again in the morning. This week a group of 20 ranging from commanders to E4s will complete proficiency in high risk training under my direction. I don’t need the anchors right away to know I’m a great leader. The people I work with see it and tell me everyday. Just gotta play better politics on paper. 

  • Like 1
  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pebz
1 hour ago, Pebz said:
2 hours ago, AME1 said:

So I can't say I've heard of anyone doing that.  I don't know how much feedback would be given. 

Reading back to the first few pages of the FY19 forum, it looks like people reach out to specific board members or members they knew to get them to review their submissions and get feedback in how they can improve.

After reading the precepts and guidance again, what people are doing to get feedback from people they know of the board appears to be prohibited, so I’m not sure how they go about that. Back to the grinding board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO1(IW/FMF)

FY-20 here we come. Let’s get started. I already have a plan of things I need to do this year. FY-20 will be my second time up let’s see how it goes. I have 18 credits until I finish my associates, just transferred to staff duty so leadership is going to be hard to come by. But hopefully can do something to affect/improve rating. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anavychick02

Here we go again. I'm still a little upset but I can't change it now, I'm glad that some of the Sailors that worked for me picked up Chief so that's definitely going on this next eval. I can only push forward and tweek what I can for next year. Lucky number 7 let's go.

  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AME1
13 minutes ago, anavychick02 said:

Here we go again. I'm still a little upset but I can't change it now, I'm glad that some of the Sailors that worked for me picked up Chief so that's definitely going on this next eval. I can only push forward and tweek what I can for next year. Lucky number 7 let's go.

Just gotta keep the positive attitude.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anavychick02
4 minutes ago, AME1 said:

Just gotta keep the positive attitude.

Absolutely.. I definitely had a moment or two today but it's all good now. 

  • Like 1
  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PO14Life

So I had thought the bandaid was ripped off for them to put it back on rub some salt in it and rip it off again. This is the real “in my feelings challenge”

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stazz

Feedback I received was mess position. So I’m taking up chain smoking and heavy drinking until the elections. Next year will be attempt 5. Next week I’ll be in a position to take care of my short comings.

What is common this time of year is the non-selects stating everything they have. It’s all about me, me, me. While I haven’t been selected, remember, the board is looking at what your Sailors accomplished under your leadership. Look at the opportunities that are now available. Just do the collateral duties and run them until someone in the chain of command tells you to stop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ayylmao

I feel the same way. I tell second classes to stop writing that they are a technician, and write about them being a leader. I need to take a dose of my own medicine and write like I am a chief. I'm brainstorming right now for what I can do for next year though. I report to my ship at the end of september, and will get a mostly blank P I think. That means the board will see almost exactly the same evals they saw this year, with hopefully some designation letters that I already hold from the new forward deployed ship. That means that I have 9 months to figure out how to get non eval documentation of chiefness into my LTB. Any ideas?

 

I think I'm honestly gonna start having people review my package nowish, and offer advice about what I can add for next year soon after I show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ayylmao

As far as people being salty goes... This is a group of people that I want to join. I value their opinion and respect the posistion. That means that if they find that I am not showing what it takes, the answer isn't that they're wrong, it's that I'm wrong. Otherwise I'd be saying that I'm more correct than a full room of the most senior of the group I want to join. I can honestly say I haven't always given 100%, haven't always made the right calls, or done as much as I possibly could. That means I need to grow. Feels good honestly.

These first three times, I felt too new, and honestly was probably not ready. Another year means that I have another year where I can go to people who have made it, and ask for help, without being in the posistion of needing to actually fill that role. 

 

I think I've reached acceptance stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stazz
16 minutes ago, Ayylmao said:

I feel the same way. I tell second classes to stop writing that they are a technician, and write about them being a leader. I need to take a dose of my own medicine and write like I am a chief. I'm brainstorming right now for what I can do for next year though. I report to my ship at the end of september, and will get a mostly blank P I think. That means the board will see almost exactly the same evals they saw this year, with hopefully some designation letters that I already hold from the new forward deployed ship. That means that I have 9 months to figure out how to get non eval documentation of chiefness into my LTB. Any ideas?

 

I think I'm honestly gonna start having people review my package nowish, and offer advice about what I can add for next year soon after I show up.

I hate to be the guy to say this, but write yourself an award for the things you do with your programs if you think it has a snowball's chance in hell. This year I was heavy on designation letters (CPO 365/Sailor 360, Duty Section Leader, Phase Maint. Coordinator). Designation letters only assign responsibility. The board wants to see results and if you don't have results on an eval, an award is documentation. Can any Chiefs back me up on this? Would a NAM or even an LOA suffice for documented results between November and June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
subguy10524

I finally was able to post tonight. For some reason I am no longer able to access this site from the boat. So finally got home from duty yesterday. 

Last year, I messaged the board member I knew. And this year I plan to do the same. I know them and have served with them. So I feel comfortable doing so. They can give general advice on your package, but can’t tell you why you didn’t make it. 

As I posted in this years thread, I got the ‘N’ for the 4th time this year. This coming eval should help immensely, as I will be talking about my sailors. I also will have an at sea eval that should show superior at sea performance. Something i don’t have from my first boat. 

Working to keep my head up and focusing on the mission. I took about 30 minutes yesterday after the results were given to us. 8 of us in the wardroom. 5 made it. CO asked what he could do to help the 3 of us, none of us had anything. So I took my little walk, gathered myself, and got right back into work. Looking toward the next year. 

I will post what the master chief tells me about my package to help everyone else.  Keep pushing. These next couple of months will make or break this next eval. Push to do better and show your resilience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AME1

All this talk about evals for next years board, and I had to remind myself we did out evals super early.  I got to thinking yesterday, and with how young they picked for my rate.  I almost wonder if next year is basically an automatic N for me since I'll already be over 21.  I wouldn't even have a shot at 8 if I picked it up next year, and also wouldn't have 3 years of Chief pay to get the full monty on my pension.  I wonder if they factor time in service at all into the grading?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stazz
1 hour ago, AME1 said:

All this talk about evals for next years board, and I had to remind myself we did out evals super early.  I got to thinking yesterday, and with how young they picked for my rate.  I almost wonder if next year is basically an automatic N for me since I'll already be over 21.  I wouldn't even have a shot at 8 if I picked it up next year, and also wouldn't have 3 years of Chief pay to get the full monty on my pension.  I wonder if they factor time in service at all into the grading?

EAOS/PRD overrides HYT. We have an AM1 approved out to 24 years. AO sea/shore flow can take an AO1 to 27 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AME1
18 hours ago, mslteck99 said:

Keep your head up! I’ll have 19 in this time next year and I feel your pain, but if it’s something you want, go get it! I had an EN pick up in his final look a few years back, sure he got an extra 4 out of it and didn’t make Senior, but he groomed some of us with the time he had remaining. Anytime I think I’m running out of time I think about that guy and the fact that he did it. 

I got my head up, was just something I was pondering.  I will make plans for 2020 if I'm not picked up, but not quiting just yet.

  • Cool! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony
22 minutes ago, AME1 said:

I got my head up, was just something I was pondering.  I will make plans for 2020 if I'm not picked up, but not quiting just yet.

Good!!

:graphics-3d-smileys-986177:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AME1
2 minutes ago, mslteck99 said:

Good on you! I’m here if you wanna bounce ideas around, just let me know. 

Was talking to my NC1 this morning, and looked at NPC and saw NAVADMIN 192/18 allowing HYT waivers for top performers in E7-E9.  So looks like if I pick it up next year, I'd have a shot at maybe getting 3 full years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony
12 minutes ago, mslteck99 said:

I’ll have to check that out, thanks!

I also have it posted in the career section of this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony

I'm throwing the SSP in the mix again folks. I think two of us mentioned about that "Add 1%" which can be significant and now I want to add my 2 cents worth for your future growth. 

For those that supervise, if you were to apply this to your workers, it would be helping them, you, and the mission. If throughout the year, you had then focus on only one thing that they are having a hard time with (such as being later or anything), you would hopefully get a return in that they are self-improving. 

So it's not about you constantly getting them to achieve that 1%, it's about getting them to achieve that 1%! Hopefully less work for you too in that you are only monitoring but maybe sometimes mentoring. 

Next, if you could get your people to keep a diary of their achievements, quals, etc, that is updated weekly, it will reduce your time doing evals, awards, recommendations, etc. It also helps give a clear path to what you have done not for yourself, but for the mission (Keep a copy of that mission statement too if your command has it.)

Cool!! I kept this short and simple so that maybe someone will read it!

Can you add to your plan of improvement?

  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online



×