FY20 Chief Selection Board

For those who haven't seen this video, below I have attached a link that will provide some information in regards to the board process directly from PERS-8.  The recording was dated a month before FY19 E7 selection board process but has relevant information. The video outlines what the board looks for, how adverse information may dictate the selection process, LTBs, and additional information in regards to the selection process. Good luck to all of you!

https://youtu.be/34F2kehRAyA

Pretty good info. It would be interesting to hear about field code 38 prior to the tank.  Do they segregate those records to the nearest paper shredder while they are grading the packages or do they actually bring those records into the tank?

I'm curious about that FC 38 as well. Mine resulted in an RE-4, yet here I am. Long story short, I was found to have a pre-existing medical condition in boot camp that they felt I was aware of. Fought it and Board of Corrections was favorable to my argument. Got issue corrected and rejoined a year later. I get that it was back in '05 but as she said... "two otherwise identical Sailors for that last spot...".

6th time taking the CPO test, board every time. I openly admit I don't study for it anymore as I'm not concerned about my test score. I have all my checks in the box minus current command FCPOA officer position (Secretary and VP at previous command). Masters degree nearing completion, PPME, JPME, SEJPME, MTS, ALPO/LPO on latest eval, AW/SW, Fully Qualified (SFF not an option due to T/M/S transition). 

I know the most important part is "What have my Sailors achieved?" 15 of them are now Chiefs (all were 2nd Classes from same workcenter that picked up FCPO and CPO together), 5 commissioned. 100% warfare qualified work center, retention, etc.

How important is RSCA over SGA? Our SGA was 3.98, I got 4.0, RSCA is 4.03. My PSR part 3 is a mess. 

On 2/2/2019 at 3:14 PM, Stazz said:

I'm curious about that FC 38 as well. Mine resulted in an RE-4, yet here I am. Long story short, I was found to have a pre-existing medical condition in boot camp that they felt I was aware of. Fought it and Board of Corrections was favorable to my argument. Got issue corrected and rejoined a year later. I get that it was back in '05 but as she said... "two otherwise identical Sailors for that last spot...".

6th time taking the CPO test, board every time. I openly admit I don't study for it anymore as I'm not concerned about my test score. I have all my checks in the box minus current command FCPOA officer position (Secretary and VP at previous command). Masters degree nearing completion, PPME, JPME, SEJPME, MTS, ALPO/LPO on latest eval, AW/SW, Fully Qualified (SFF not an option due to T/M/S transition). 

I know the most important part is "What have my Sailors achieved?" 15 of them are now Chiefs (all were 2nd Classes from same workcenter that picked up FCPO and CPO together), 5 commissioned. 100% warfare qualified work center, retention, etc.

How important is RSCA over SGA? Our SGA was 3.98, I got 4.0, RSCA is 4.03. My PSR part 3 is a mess. 

It has always been explained to me that the RSCA is more important than the SGA. It’s good to be over the SGA obviously but when your trait average is compared to a RSCA it’s comparing to every E6 that reporting senior has evaluated, not just the group for that eval cycle. So above RSCA is saying you are top tier of everyone  they’ve ever evaluated which is a much bigger statement then just being above SGA

On 2/4/2019 at 9:23 AM, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

It has always been explained to me that the RSCA is more important than the SGA. It’s good to be over the SGA obviously but when your trait average is compared to a RSCA it’s comparing to every E6 that reporting senior has evaluated, not just the group for that eval cycle. So above RSCA is saying you are top tier of everyone  they’ve ever evaluated which is a much bigger statement then just being above SGA

What is "normal" for RSCA? My CO's is 4.03. That feels high.

Guest subguy10524

Do the boards look favorable to FCPOA board? Would that be worthy to include in a letter to the board? Our command is finally putting together a FCPOA and just had our elections. 

10 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Do the boards look favorable to FCPOA board? Would that be worthy to include in a letter to the board? Our command is finally putting together a FCPOA and just had our elections. 

So each rating career path should have been updates with a section they use for the board now with things that are taken into account for consideration for advancement. As you can see on mine FCPOA leadership or strong involvement is one of those considerations.  I think it was removed from the conviening order because it was added to this career path. 

62E4B060-4850-41CB-8B15-F6DA61E65D5E.png

Guest mslteck99
11 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Association participation is good, a cabinet position is key. We created one at my last command, but with so many shift workers participation wasn’t the best. I focused on using our group to get everyone synchronized on issues affecting our command so as a whole we could assist each other. Most of my association participation spilled over into our JEA or outside of work into the Base FCPOA and CPOA. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:16 AM, mslteck99 said:

Association participation is good, a cabinet position is key. We created one at my last command, but with so many shift workers participation wasn’t the best. I focused on using our group to get everyone synchronized on issues affecting our command so as a whole we could assist each other. Most of my association participation spilled over into our JEA or outside of work into the Base FCPOA and CPOA. 

I worked on a staff and it was next to impossible to have everyone in the same location.  Most of our events consisted of four First Classes doing all the "of the quarter/year" boards and fundraising events as well as phase one with CPO 365.  It can be done, just have to work towards your constraints.

Guest subguy10524
On 2/10/2019 at 3:44 AM, PO1(IW/FMF) said:

So each rating career path should have been updates with a section they use for the board now with things that are taken into account for consideration for advancement. As you can see on mine FCPOA leadership or strong involvement is one of those considerations.  I think it was removed from the conviening order because it was added to this career path. 

Thanks for the reply. Don’t see it in my career path, but I will include it in my board package. Just need to figure out which level to get it signed so it will have more weight than my word. 

We are working to do the various SOQ boards as well as taking away the chief mess job. Anything we can do, we want to do. Leading the 365 is a good point, we should ask for that to take!

43 minutes ago, subguy10524 said:

Thanks for the reply. Don’t see it in my career path, but I will include it in my board package. Just need to figure out which level to get it signed so it will have more weight than my word. 

We are working to do the various SOQ boards as well as taking away the chief mess job. Anything we can do, we want to do. Leading the 365 is a good point, we should ask for that to take!

What’s your rate?

On 2/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, subguy10524 said:

I'd say get your EDMC to sign it. I'm getting a master chief of my rate in my command to sign mine as he outranks my direct supervisor, who is of a different rate.

Guest EO1(SCW)

Morning Leaders,

New member and third time up for Chief.  I followed a plan to make board this year, so I most definitely will make it!  Anyone with board experience willing to look under the hood and make recommendation/suggestions?  Proactive rather then reactive, thank you for any consideration.

Guest CyberIT

Ok, so im gonna just put this out there, I picked up last cycle, and I also thought that fcpoa board membership was "necessary". I was nominated, but didn't get voted in, but still picked up, what is important is participation, you don't have to be a board member to schedule events and make a command/fleet impact. Now if you are a board member and want to submit a "letter" of said position, do a designation letter signed by your CO, this will guarantee validity. I submitted all my designation letters for collaterals, movsm, and all my technical certs even though all of this was in my evals, against what I'd been told "if it's in your eval you don't need to submit it in a letter"... It is your package, just make sure your record is correct, and if not submit any discrepancies, and follow all formatting requirements.

Hello all first time posting this cycle. I have a question, I have been told that being that I recently transferred from sea to shore pretty close to the end of the eval cycle maybe 2 months before nov. It would be looked at in a negative light due to I left before the total ranking so it’s only a soft breakout. What’s your input on that. 

Guest subguy10524

It won’t be negative, however a ranked eval would be better. Is there any chance of asking the detailed to extend on board for 2 months? Transfer on Nov 15? I extended a month or so with my previous shore duty to do just that. Gave me a regular ranked eval. 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, SH1(SW/AW/IW) said:

Hello all first time posting this cycle. I have a question, I have been told that being that I recently transferred from sea to shore pretty close to the end of the eval cycle maybe 2 months before nov. It would be looked at in a negative light due to I left before the total ranking so it’s only a soft breakout. What’s your input on that. 

Guest ChiefDevilDoc
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:00 AM, SparksITCM said:

Number one factor for selection...….sustained superior performance...….how far above the Reporting Senior Cumulative Average (RSCA) was your Individual Trait Average (ITA) on your eval. You can see how well you stack up by going to BOL and clicking the ODC, OSR, PSR, ESR link. After you open that click on the evaluation summary (1996-Present). At the top left of your screen you will see a box that says generate PDF. Once you open the document it's going to create your performance summary report. Look at your last 5 years worth of evals. You want your Individual Summary (IND SUM) as far above the Reporting Senior Cumulative (R/S CUM) as possible. Remember the more people that you were ranked against in your group the better. This has always helped me know where I stand as far as being competitive. Now if you have a recent NJP or PFA failure those are detractors. But if your record is clean, consistently above RSCA, documented results in a leadership position, you will be competitive. One more thing...….pay close attention to your enlisted career path.

V/r,

ITCM

THIS!