FY20 Chief Selection Board

Guest GoNavy88

Evening Everyone,

Let me know what I can do to help.  I been that Sailor who got in trouble, and my eval reflected that.  Its going to tough but push through.  It can be done with a well thought out plan for next year.

Guest LS1(AW/SW/IW)
7 hours ago, GoNavy88 said:

Evening Everyone,

Let me know what I can do to help.  I been that Sailor who got in trouble, and my eval reflected that.  Its going to tough but push through.  It can be done with a well thought out plan for next year.

If you were selected this year can you share your eval and LTB with me.

Guest ScrubNation

Hey guys. Keep your heads up. There is no magic ticket to getting selected. Trust me. I was selected this year and was never a SOY or any of that. Follow your rating ladder and take care of your Junior sailors.  Make your evals about what they do and not so much about what you do. You will get there. Trust the process. 

AEC(Sel) out

Guest Lothema

I've started studying for the exam as well. Had some fun finding one of the references actually. The email that is listed in the bibliography at the top gets replies fairly quickly I am surprised to say. I was expecting it to take a week or more but they were super helpful. When I was talking with my chief about evals and got the advice to draft the write-up based on the board precepts. Am I missing something when I read those? They are almost exactly the same, word for word from the previous year and seem to only give generic rules about not talking about board proceedings, CMEO items, not to let a single negative event knock a person out of the running entirely, etc.

Guest PO Theo

My big takeaway from all of the information on the forum this year was that evals carry a tremendous amount of weight... more so than any other single item. While I knew this already, hearing the experience of others and seeing eval bullets of those selected has opened my eyes to what my evals should look like. Fun fact - they don't look like that.

I was thinking, it would be neat if we could create a page with clickable ratings that would display eval write-ups from people selected in those rates. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Guest mslteck99

To any Chiefs, Senior Chiefs, Master Chiefs, or CWOs popping their heads in here to get a glimpse of next year's anxious crop.

If you have the time, I'd like to ask for a record review and any feedback, opinions, constructive criticism, or general advise that would make for a more competitive package next year.

Thanks in advance!

Guest LS1(AW/SW/IW)
On 8/14/2018 at 6:34 AM, PO Theo said:

My big takeaway from all of the information on the forum this year was that evals carry a tremendous amount of weight... more so than any other single item. While I knew this already, hearing the experience of others and seeing eval bullets of those selected has opened my eyes to what my evals should look like. Fun fact - they don't look like that.

I was thinking, it would be neat if we could create a page with clickable ratings that would display eval write-ups from people selected in those rates. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Can you ask those folks to share those eval bullets as well. 

Guest HaTriCkook
On 8/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Pebz said:

I’m feeling that way too. I’m having a hard time accepting responsibility over my evals. I’ve been writing what I considered great evals for at least 7 years now but they always get chopped to pieces and I’ve never been happy with what I sign. Poor write-ups. I’m older now and more lessons learned. This was only my 2nd time up but seeing the people that did pick up, it’s gotta be my evals. I personally know for a fact, box for box I’m overall better than some of them. Only thing they have on me is more time and maybe better written evals. I can’t think of anything else. Back at it again in the morning. This week a group of 20 ranging from commanders to E4s will complete proficiency in high risk training under my direction. I don’t need the anchors right away to know I’m a great leader. The people I work with see it and tell me everyday. Just gotta play better politics on paper. 

Yeah  I don't understand the reading aspect side of the board. I know for me I've checked every box off like you, so it must be specific phrases or something that will make it stand out that they are looking for.

Guest HaTriCkook
On 8/14/2018 at 3:34 AM, PO Theo said:

That sounds like something that I would be interested in.

12 hours ago, HaTriCkook said:

Yeah  I don't understand the reading aspect side of the board. I know for me I've checked every box off like you, so it must be specific phrases or something that will make it stand out that they are looking for.

There are certain terms and phrases used on evaluations that if you see you should question and immediately request a CMC CDB. Anything that alludes to the future will be looked at as if you are not ready now. These are the leadership that works directly with you and the board has to take their word seriously. Every word in your eval should be engrained in the now or past Meaning you are already a “Chief” just not in uniform. If you are briefed a questionable phrase or wording sign your eval and request an immediate CDB with the CMC included to see why that wording was chosen and if it can be changed before they are sent up. 

I run run in to a lot of Sailors you are “checking” all of the blocks and are confused on why they are not selected and when I see the evals I can clearly see:

Will one day make a great Chief

Chief in training 

My future front runner 

Any phrase that is not in the now is potentially negative. 

• Like 2

So I’ve just checked into my new command a month ago, so pretty much boned in this upcoming eval. 5 month eval with 2 months of projection.  I keep being reminded by people that the board will see the dates and understand the lacking leadership due to short time and the linear progression to get into a leadership spot. I’m at a staff command so leadership “positions” are few and far between. Knocking out my job qual, warfare requal and some school. The board didn’t see my transfer eval so hopefully that will make up for this November eval they will also see next year. First things first let’s get past this January exam to become SBE. I’d like to be 2/2. Happy studying everyone. 

Guest Cryptic

I posted this on July 28th:

Why (S):

1. LPO of 30+ Sailors for three years with documented junior Sailor progression/accomplishments

2. Strong mission impact

3. FCPOA cabinet position and two command level collaterals 

Why not (N):

1. No CPO365 position

2. Only one month at sea as PO1

3. Three of last five evals are not EPs

------------------------------------------------------------

I got the "S" this year. For what it's worth. Hit me up if you have questions.

Guest CTRCSouth
On 8/7/2018 at 4:07 PM, Pebz said:

Welcome to the party! So, I asked on the other forum, do people really contact the “board” to get feedback? Is that really a thing to do? How would you approach that? 

Yes, I did it the year I wasn't selected and the next year I picked up. Just be respectful and email the person from your rating that sat the board. They cant tell you why you didn't get selected but they will go over your record and let you know what they see that you are missing or still need to do to get the S. 

Guest mslteck99
On 8/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Pebz said:

Welcome to the party! So, I asked on the other forum, do people really contact the “board” to get feedback? Is that really a thing to do? How would you approach that? 

I contacted the three MCs in my rate that sat the board this year.  I heard back from two and both said pretty much the same thing...GO TO A SHIP! 

I simply asked them if they had the time, would they mind taking a look at my record (anything they requested) one more time, and telling me what I need to be more competitive for the next cycle. 

There was a bit of excess fluff in my older evaluations (they both went back six years), but said my evaluations were progressing with me and last one was spot on what a board wants..."one more like that should do it".

lots of discussion about well rounded reporting w/in the eval...Sailorization, mentoring, leading, Sailor 360/CPO 365, secondary education, Mess involvement...just get better every day...1% like @Tony put up in an article awhile back.

Keep the faith.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, Tony said:

One, possibly two members tried to get in the Selectee/ Chiefs forum without having made Chief.

Alrighty then, it has been narrowed down to one member who tried to gain access to the Chief's forum, who did not make Chief. 

Guest Butter Star
On 8/9/2018 at 9:47 AM, AME1 said:

All this talk about evals for next years board, and I had to remind myself we did out evals super early.  I got to thinking yesterday, and with how young they picked for my rate.  I almost wonder if next year is basically an automatic N for me since I'll already be over 21.  I wouldn't even have a shot at 8 if I picked it up next year, and also wouldn't have 3 years of Chief pay to get the full monty on my pension.  I wonder if they factor time in service at all into the grading?

They are not allowed to directly address the issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

So as we polish our evals for this cycle, we got great feedback about what NOT to put on our eval like anything suggesting “future, not ready yet”. 

What are some of the best, go to bullets you’ve seen that project leadership and the accomplishments of your junior sailors? 

Guest Butter Star
On 9/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, Pebz said:

So as we polish our evals for this cycle, we got great feedback about what NOT to put on our eval like anything suggesting “future, not ready yet”. 

What are some of the best, go to bullets you’ve seen that project leadership and the accomplishments of your junior sailors? 

The true ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shellback88

Question to the eval decoders out there... I just transferred from a training command where I believe I did pretty well. Last year I was ranked 4 of 96 EP with a 4.57. I left with a 1 of 1 EP 4.43 PMA but the write up called out "would be ranked 1 of XX PO1s if ranked today." Talked to everyone from DH to CMC and an MCPO that have sat boards. They assured me that I shouldn't be concerned with the number, it is just the CO attempting to keep his RSCA down. Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post that I highly encourage people who are up for Chief selection to reach out to your rating leads that have sat the boards. I just got my record review back from mine. They clearly highlighted things they thought were important and strong for me, things that are of concern and gave recommendations of what else I can do to make myself even more competitive. Keep pushing ladies and gents!  FY20 here we come!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DeepCLeprechaun35

Anyone familiar with ranking boards for the E6 level? Also if you have a new reporting senior but your previous eval from the same command was an EP, does it get dropped bc of a new CO or does it remain in effect? Any knowledge would be much appreciated, thank you.