Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran

KnockoutTrish

FY19 CPO Selectee Spouses

Rate this topic

KnockoutTrish

Congrats to all those that were selected.

Feel free to post any questions here and we will try our best to answer them.

Milspouse

Yay!!!! Husband was selected, I can't tell you how excited and proud I feel of his accomplishment, what should I expect now? How can I help him through this process?

• Like 1

ASWife
34 minutes ago, Milspouse said:

Yay!!!! Husband was selected, I can't tell you how excited and proud I feel of his accomplishment, what should I expect now? How can I help him through this process?

I quote each and every word!!! I am so excited and confused and anxious at the same time. We are supposed to close on a new house on the 20th and I know he wont have much time to be involved in the moving process. I am just praying that I will be able to take care of everything by myself without messing anything up LOL

• Like 1

Milspouse
25 minutes ago, ASWife said:

I quote each and every word!!! I am so excited and confused and anxious at the same time. We are supposed to close on a new house on the 20th and I know he wont have much time to be involved in the moving process. I am just praying that I will be able to take care of everything by myself without messing anything up LOL

Congrats to you and your husband on making rank, and on your new home!!! 2018 is definitely your year! YOU GOT THIS!!! I am sure you won't mess anything up. Just focus on the house and remember all of this is temporary... ❤️

ASWife
10 minutes ago, Milspouse said:

Congrats to you and your husband on making rank, and on your new home!!! 2018 is definitely your year! YOU GOT THIS!!! I am sure you won't mess anything up. Just focus on the house and remember all of this is temporary... 

Did I mention we also got two new cars this year as well??? LOL

Thank you so much! It truly means a lot and you're totally right. In a few months, everything will be where it's supposed to be. Plus, God never puts us through anything more than what we can handle... I will keep repeating this to myself over the next month and a half. ;) 

Congrats to your and your hubby as well! :)

• Like 1

crazdsquirel

My husband was selected! I'm so excited and proud of him! I have no idea what to expect now though, so I will definitely be ready to learn :)

• Like 1
  • That Sounds Good!! 1

Milspouse

I just signed up for a “Chief Selectee Spouse Symposium” here in San Diego, I wonder if something like that is offered around every large Navy base? If not, don’t worry I’ll be sharing whatever information I can find out so we can all be on the same page and support each other! 😁

• Like 1

VMM5055

My husband was finally selected, so here I am. I'm on day two of being in shock and trying to figure out what I need to do in all this (if anything beyond making sure he has food and helping with his laundry), which means I'm a straight up mess and my own work is suffering. Hahaha

I suppose I am at: Let's get this Season started!

Also, the spouse meet and greet is coming up. Any tips about what I should expect?

• Like 2

KnockoutTrish

Here's a little bit about me.  I was in the Navy myself for almost yrs before getting out to have my son.  I have been married to my husband for going on 23yrs now and we have 2 children ages 21 and 17 (senior in HS this year).  My husband has been in the Navy on submarines for going on 24yrs and made chief back in 2008 followed by SCPO in 2011 and MCPO in 2016.

Congrats to you all and your spouses.  The biggest and best piece of advice I can give is to be patient with your spouse.  They are going to be gone a lot and when they are home they will be exhausted and tired.  Some things you can do to help are going to pick up any items that they may call home and say they need (ie pens, possibly eggs, etc as there are often times some really crazy things they ask for....LOL), meals prepared so all they have to do is heat them up and eat when they get home, clean work and PT gear as they won't have much time to do this for themselves.  Those are just a few of the bigger things.

If you want to spend more time with your spouse while they are going through this transition, I recommend going with them to the car washes and events like that.  Obviously have them confirm that you can go as some events are for the selectees only, but I went to all of the car washes when my husband was selected.  With as much time as they are going to be spending away from home, this is just one way that you can spend time together somewhat while they are still doing what they need to.  And it also helps them wash more cars if you join in on the fun which means more profits for them too.

There will be a Khaki ball at the end of the season, but don't let the name "ball" confuse you.  This is not something that you get all dressed up in ball gowns for, so don't worry about that.  It is more of a business casual/cocktail dress type of event and is meant to be a celebration and welcoming of the newly pinned chiefs and their families into the mess.

Those are just a few of the things that I can think of right off hand that are the bigger questions that everyone asks or wants to know about.  You are all more than welcome to ask any questions here or message me directly and I will be more than happy to try and answer them.  If I don't know the answer I will ask my husband and if he still doesn't know I will find out from someone who does.

• Like 1
  • Cool! 1

ASWife
7 hours ago, KnockoutTrish said:

Some things you can do to help are going to pick up any items that they may call home and say they need (ie pens, possibly eggs, etc as there are often times some really crazy things they ask for....LOL)

So funny you say that because the "instructions" my husband was given on the first day included having to have 5 colored pens (black, blue, red, green and gold) on him at all times LOL 

Lucky for him, I may have an addiction problem with colored pens, so he was covered on that requirement right away. :128_1:

cscs(ret)2010

@KnockoutTrish great info you put out there!! I believe it's very important for the spouse/significant other to be very patient during this process.  Having clean PT gear, meals, etc ready for them is key.  My wife also showed up after morning pt and sold coffee, juice, doughnuts, muffins, etc.  She also made lumpia (she is filipino) and I sold them to the mess. Made lots of $$$$ there! LOL.   I am here for the spouses if they have any questions as well.  I will do my best to give the best advice I can. 

Danny

CSCS(SW) ret

• Like 1

cscs(ret)2010

Congrats to all the new selectees as well.  Have fun!

• Like 1