Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

Teaguemonie

FY-20 LDO/CWO Procurement Board

Rate this topic

I R Gunners Mate

I had 3 designator representatives (LTx2 /CWO4) and an O5 SWO board chairman, but I've seen people selected with 0 designator representatives. It was recommended to me to have one SWO type on my board, as that is the majority of the wardroom I'll be entering.
It can only be to your advantage to get at least one person currently doing the job to recommend you. Is VTC an option? I'd recommend that over a phone call because at least they can accurately judge your poise and body language.

• Thanks 1

Butter Star
On 6/25/2018 at 4:36 PM, VegasMA said:

Third time applying this year for the 6490 designator. Been constantly refining my package, taking on more complex billets and duties, etc.

Time is coming up on appraisal boards again. Has their been any negative gouge put out about having pilots/NFO and SWO's sit the LDO appraisals? NAVADMIN states at least one member, O-3 or above, should be from your desired community.

Main reason why I'm asking is because of the logistics involved in doing this appraisal board strictly with 6490's (looking at 6-10 hours round trip off no-cost TDY).

You want to have at least one in community, preferably all of them.  They want someone who knows the job to interview you.  As a general rule the more officers in community the better and the higher ranking the better.

VegasMA
1 hour ago, Butter Star said:

You want to have at least one in community, preferably all of them.  They want someone who knows the job to interview you.  As a general rule the more officers in community the better and the higher ranking the better.

My last year's appraisal board was that way. Had three 6490's, one O-5, two O-4's. I have no objection about pursuing that avenue again this year. I would just have to make it happen under a no-cost TAD status, with a 6-10 hour round trip for the board depending on traffic.

I've been talking to my Department Head about organizing the board locally for that reason. If I can get the blessing to push forward, the board would consist of an 1110 Captain, two 1320 Commanders, a 6490 Lieutenant Commander, and a 6490 Lieutenant.

subguy10524

Well,  my package is going through my chain of command now. Got my stuff together and started he process so I can get CO ink on it to submit. We will see what is said. 

• Like 1

Sig781

649X applicant here, new to forum as member.  Having some difficulty annotating service with Army on application.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

808Rinks

Applying to 641X/741X. Do I need to have the Application submitted and approved before arranging the appraisal board? Also, I noticed 741X was not open, does that mean I should not apply for it?

649_Select

Current 6490 select commissioning in October. If anyone needs guidance or assistance let me know. I saw there was a few 6490 applicants but I am willing to help all designators 

Butter Star
On 7/10/2018 at 6:25 PM, 808Rinks said:

Applying to 641X/741X. Do I need to have the Application submitted and approved before arranging the appraisal board? Also, I noticed 741X was not open, does that mean I should not apply for it?

No the appraisal board is supposed to be used to help your CO with the recommendation.  But you should have the rest of the application completed so that you can provide it to the board members to review prior.

subguy10524

Well my package is being reviewed by an LDO. My DIVO had questions about information from my previous command being included in the CO write up, since the CO wasn’t there. Anyone have insight into that?

I have only been at my current command since December so don’t have a huge amount of material to work with. I also wanted to include specifics about coordination and interaction with other agencies from the previous command. 

IpodY1

Morning Everyone,

Our command finally put out dates to turn in our applications. Been sitting on mine for a while and have had numerous LDO's and CWO's check my application. I am to the point where I'm done making changes, unless formatting wise, as I'm happy where it is now. For appraisals Ive gotten 1 O4 1810 with whom I deployed with and is now the DH on the west coast, an O5 1810 who was my old OIC but now is an incoming CO in Maryland, and another O4 1810. I additionally got a recommendation letter from an USA CW5 from SOCAF with whom I worked under for three years on and off through two deployments. People keep telling me I should go higher, but I had my appraisals done by Officers with whom I have served under and some that have seen me in combat situations. I feel those were the best people to appraise me as they seen what I do while in stressful and non stress full positions.

VegasMA

Here is a question for everyone: How are you formatting your Letter to the Board for submitting your package? I'm assuming they aren't wanting us to list our appraisals and such as enclosures on the LTB itself like we do for CPO, since the instructions give specific guidance on how to number them in the package.

I was thinking about just doing a quick and simple:

1. Per reference (a), please consider this package for the 649X / Security Officer designator.

KingATC
9 hours ago, VegasMA said:

Here is a question for everyone: How are you formatting your Letter to the Board for submitting your package? I'm assuming they aren't wanting us to list our appraisals and such as enclosures on the LTB itself like we do for CPO, since the instructions give specific guidance on how to number them in the package.

I was thinking about just doing a quick and simple:

1. Per reference (a), please consider this package for the 649X / Security Officer designator.

Submitting the LTB? You mean enclosures for the application? Or are you talking about an addendum letter?