FY-20 LDO/CWO Procurement Board

Guest From_RM_To_IT

The LDO/CWO procurement board NAVADMIN release is really late this year.  It normally is released in mid-APR.  Has anyone heard of a reason for the delay?

Guest osiris0107
19 hours ago, From_RM_To_IT said:

The LDO/CWO procurement board NAVADMIN release is really late this year.  It normally is released in mid-APR.  Has anyone heard of a reason for the delay?

The Fleet Engagement Team came here just about a week ago and straight from the Capt (Sel) that is in charge of it said, "It was on his desk and that it should be out the second week of May".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest McMustang6330
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, osiris0107 said:

Does anyone know where it states that a member has to formally request to apply for the LDO program. My last command every year made me submit a request chit to CO. My new command is asking me if this is even necessary. Just looking for it in black and white.

@osiris0107 The most common answer to this is that you must have your commands approval in order to apply.  If the chain of command wont endorse a package, why waste the time putting it together and going through the process.  The request chit to the CO serves as a precursor to him/her endorsing your final package for submission to the board.  I have had several people who want to apply but are not even remotely qualified nor competitive, and the chain of command would not endorse a package for them.  The request chit allowed this to be identified before a lot of people wasted a lot of time (individual, command, appraisal members, selection board members, etc) going through the application process with these members.

As for where it is in black and white, most commands will have it located in their local command procedures for enlisted to officer commission applications.  Other than that, there is no where that it is in writing that i know of.

Guest McMustang6330
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, From_RM_To_IT said:

1) Yes, it is a bit delayed, but do not that hold up your application nor where you should be at this point in the "season".

2) There was some talk of altering the application form/format beginning this year, which would drastically simplify the application.  This would mean deviating from the requirements (to include the application enclosure) outlined in the 1420.1.  My guess is that, if anything specifically is holding up the release of the NAVADMIN, it is because they are really trying to push approval of the new application format prior to releasing the message.  Although, the ECM's told me in person that this new application format wouldn't hold up the release of the message......so, take this possibility with that in mind.

Guest McMustang6330
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, atypicalET said:

For all of those thinking about applying again, or wondering if it is even worth it. I was going through the same internal dilemma myself. This past Friday I received a phone call from my CO, I was on the alternate list and was called up due to a vacated spot. We all sit here and speculate, wonder if it ever happens and how. Well, let me tell you, it happens out of the blue with no warning and it is awesome.

Here is the thought that accompanied that information, and I wanted to share: I was so very close to selection, literally the very top of the unannounced list, and I may very well have never known it. I am sure there are some of you out there, on this forum, wondering if the effort is worth the potential of another ‘N’. It is ladies and gents, it is! I will never see the ‘S’ myself, because it doesn’t work that way, but when comparing the best against the best, even the ‘N’ is potentially just a phone call away from the goal.

So, in a nut shell, give it all you have every opportunity you get until you can’t possibly give any more. You never know, I sure didn’t and I am the happiest guy in the Navy this weekend. Good luck and hit me up if you ever need any help.

Congrats man!!!! Well done!

Guest McMustang6330

For those applying Nuke LDO, your NAVADMIN has been released (see below).  Highlights include only completing pages 1, 2, 6 & 10 of the application, NO interview appraisals are required, timeline is 8-16 years (vice 14 for other LDO designators), and no CWO applicants are being accepted.  Good luck to those of you qualifying for this!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cryppie01

Sat down with a Warrent who went through my package and gave me some brutal honest feed back. Said that my command has really dropped the ball when writing my evals and thats what is going to hurt my package. I went from first E5 eval at the command- P, to a MP, to a frocking P. The frocking P was because I picked up E6 on my first try and there were second classes who have been a second for a while, so they got the EP's and MP's. Then my first E6 eval was a P despite 2 awards, 2 NECS, command collateral, leadership, 21 college hours etc. But my command said since its my first one ill automatically get a P no matter what. How do I compensate or adjust for something that I cant control? These evals are hurting my chances at LDO and even Chief when I'm up.

Guest GoNavy88
On 6/2/2018 at 5:32 AM, IpodY1 said:

Sat down with a Warrent who went through my package and gave me some brutal honest feed back. Said that my command has really dropped the ball when writing my evals and thats what is going to hurt my package. I went from first E5 eval at the command- P, to a MP, to a frocking P. The frocking P was because I picked up E6 on my first try and there were second classes who have been a second for a while, so they got the EP's and MP's. Then my first E6 eval was a P despite 2 awards, 2 NECS, command collateral, leadership, 21 college hours etc. But my command said since its my first one ill automatically get a P no matter what. How do I compensate or adjust for something that I cant control? These evals are hurting my chances at LDO and even Chief when I'm up.

How about your evaluation write up?  are you above or below the summary group?  i wouldn't knock yourself out of the park just yet.

Guest McMustang6330
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:32 AM, IpodY1 said:

@GoNavy88 asks some pertinent questions, the answers to which carry more significance than looking at a bunch of "P"'s on your PSR.  While your concern is understandable, what happened should be evident, and any negative view on it could be easily put aside with great block 43 write-ups, and being at summary group, and/or above RSCA even though you were a promotable. 

Guest McMustang6330
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:14 AM, subguy10524 said:

Great thread so far. As a prospective Nuke LDO applicant, the process seems very streamlined. 

In regards to the FY20 Navadmin, it doesn’t cancel the FY19 Navadmin and the FY19 Navadmin is still active until this September. So for the information I need to to apply my process seems to be:

Read the 1420 for LDO. Note the requirements and full application. 

Read the FY19 Navadmin. Note the requirements and strike out what isn’t required from the 1420. 

Read the FY20 Navadmin and further update the application based on that. 

Is there anything else I should be notating? Other sources of application requirements? I am going to a fleet engagement brief tomorrow so should have some more information. Thanks in advance. 

Utilize the "Application Instructions" and "Helpful Hints" located on the LDO/CWO community page as well.  There is additional information and guidance contained in each which further clarifies specific blocks and requirements.  If you want to really dive into the minutia, review your package against the Command Application Checklist, to ensure there wont be any administrative errors when it gets to the board.

Guest McMustang6330
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:46 AM, osiris0107 said:

Where is this NAVADMIN?????

I certainly hope that no one is waiting on this NAVADMIN in order to complete their package, or seek out LDO/CWO's in their geographical area for advice, input, suggestions, mentorship, etc.  I am personally hoping that the delay is due to significant changes in the application process/form, which will drastically simplify things. 

Guest osiris0107

Good news is that the NAVADMIN is out. I have completed my package and appraisal boards already. I am wondering if anyone has found the check list and the package validation. I want to make sure that I have completed the package properly with N/A's, but it is not on the NPC page. If anyone has located it or if it hasn't came out yet, please let me know.

Guest McMustang6330
54 minutes ago, osiris0107 said:

Good news is that the NAVADMIN is out. I have completed my package and appraisal boards already. I am wondering if anyone has found the check list and the package validation. I want to make sure that I have completed the package properly with N/A's, but it is not on the NPC page. If anyone has located it or if it hasn't came out yet, please let me know.

NAVPERS_1420-5_04-2017.pdf

Keep in mind that this is last year's form, but it should get you going in the right direction.

Guest KingATC
On 6/18/2018 at 5:32 AM, osiris0107 said:

I guess we are ahead of the game this year. Like you, my package is complete. Appraisals complete. Preparing enclosures and thats all. Good luck to everyone. 

Guest Butter Star

SELRES 6235, 6265, 6285 and 6295 designators are open this year.  Even though they are submarine officer billets they are open to surface ratings.  Surface ratings that have served in Expeditionary Maintenance and Surgemain units have had a high selection rate for example.  If anyone is interested in applying for these designators I can give you a POC to arrange for interviews.  Also if anyone has questions about the SELRES LDO program I am happy to answer them.

ENS

Guest I R Gunners Mate

I had 3 designator representatives (LTx2 /CWO4) and an O5 SWO board chairman, but I've seen people selected with 0 designator representatives. It was recommended to me to have one SWO type on my board, as that is the majority of the wardroom I'll be entering.
It can only be to your advantage to get at least one person currently doing the job to recommend you. Is VTC an option? I'd recommend that over a phone call because at least they can accurately judge your poise and body language.

Guest Butter Star
On 6/25/2018 at 4:36 PM, VegasMA said:

Third time applying this year for the 6490 designator. Been constantly refining my package, taking on more complex billets and duties, etc.

Time is coming up on appraisal boards again. Has their been any negative gouge put out about having pilots/NFO and SWO's sit the LDO appraisals? NAVADMIN states at least one member, O-3 or above, should be from your desired community.

Main reason why I'm asking is because of the logistics involved in doing this appraisal board strictly with 6490's (looking at 6-10 hours round trip off no-cost TDY).

You want to have at least one in community, preferably all of them.  They want someone who knows the job to interview you.  As a general rule the more officers in community the better and the higher ranking the better.

Guest Sig781

649X applicant here, new to forum as member.  Having some difficulty annotating service with Army on application.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Guest PO1_4_Ever

Applying to 641X/741X. Do I need to have the Application submitted and approved before arranging the appraisal board? Also, I noticed 741X was not open, does that mean I should not apply for it?

Current 6490 select commissioning in October. If anyone needs guidance or assistance let me know. I saw there was a few 6490 applicants but I am willing to help all designators