FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest ICEDELE
4 minutes ago, Mestizo68 said:

What instruction, manual, or guidance does it tell you to do just that?  I would like to see it in black and white.  I'm also waiting for someone to reply to my post as well.  I'm sure someone will post with answers.  Thanks.   

DC1,

There are no specifics on how you should place your name, SSN, and enclosure number on each document; however, most Chiefs that have reviewed my package have always mention to make sure each enclosure is uniform.  NPC only mentions that you must have your name, SSN, and enclosure number on each submitted enclosure.  Here is the link ---------> NPC link: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/GeneralInformation.aspx

Guest Mestizo68
1 hour ago, ICEDELE said:

DC1,

There are no specifics on how you should place your name, SSN, and enclosure number on each document; however, most Chiefs that have reviewed my package have always mention to make sure each enclosure is uniform.  NPC only mentions that you must have your name, SSN, and enclosure number on each submitted enclosure.  Here is the link ---------> NPC link: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/GeneralInformation.aspx

ICEDELE:

Understand what you are saying.  A lot of khakis have given guidance just the same to include the top of the enclosure pages as well.   SECNAV 5216 (Correspondence Manual) shows how to properly format your enclosure numbers and LTB.  BUPERSINST 1430 also shows you examples of an LTB as well.   This is the reason why I raise the questions.  Everything regarding an LTB and enclosures has steps and procedures except for properly placing the Full name and SSN on each enclosure.  NPC website is also vague as its only "General Information".  However, the question still stands.  I'm looking for something in Black and White.  I know its somewhere out there.  Just would like to see it in black and white.  You cant go wrong in what's in writing.   

Thanks,

DC1

Guest ICEDELE
1 hour ago, Mestizo68 said:

ICEDELE:

Understand what you are saying.  A lot of khakis have given guidance just the same to include the top of the enclosure pages as well.   SECNAV 5216 (Correspondence Manual) shows how to properly format your enclosure numbers and LTB.  BUPERSINST 1430 also shows you examples of an LTB as well.   This is the reason why I raise the questions.  Everything regarding an LTB and enclosures has steps and procedures except for properly placing the Full name and SSN on each enclosure.  NPC website is also vague as its only "General Information".  However, the question still stands.  I'm looking for something in Black and White.  I know its somewhere out there.  Just would like to see it in black and white.  You cant go wrong in what's in writing.   

Thanks,

DC1

I definitely agree with you on that

Guest Rolling DV8
On 4/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, Mestizo68 said:

Quick questions for everyone!

1 - 5

Thanks.  

DC1

1.  You are overthinking this, KISS.  Board member guidance, it doesn’t matter where just keep it uniform.  Recorders prefer the social in the top right, they can flip through faster, verifying it is the same social/Sailor. 

2.  Submit any PME in LTB, always (according to CMC), and if a major qual is buried in an eval then put it in the LTB too. Don’t overwhelm with everything and always have a Master Chief and prior board member review your package. 

3.  Frocking letters in OMPF...I don’t have any in my OMPF and was Selected  CPO and CWO.  This might be a personal preference; I would focus on what is important.  

4.  I don’t have any in my OMPF.  Any current and relative designation letters were sent in LTB. The LTB also makes it easy for board members because they don’t have to go searching for it. 

5.  AA and AS in OMPF as well as transcripts.  BA isn’t.  If your degree is relative to your rate then highlight that in your LTB. It shows you are working beyond Navy training to grow in your profession. 

The LTB is your communication to the board.  Highlight anything important by putting it in a LTB (PPME/JPME, rate specific must-haves, collide).  Recent guidance to the Mess from a FLTCM, make sure anything questionable in the board eligibles record is addressed in the LTB.  Don’t let the board member have questions or think something is being hidden.  

There will be more responses with more answers, at the end of the day it is your package.  If you want me to look over anything PM me and I’ll send you my email. 

Guest PO14Life

On your continuity report does it matter if there are some that say purged? I have no gaps but someone had mentioned that being a bad thing. Just curious

Carz, you put in the wrong email. It doesn't work. I got your email but I can't reply. You can re-register or send me your good email. :lol:

Guest Mestizo68
6 hours ago, PO14Life said:

On your continuity report does it matter if there are some that say purged? I have no gaps but someone had mentioned that being a bad thing. Just curious

No.  It’s irrelevant.  They just want to make sure there’s continuity.   You have no control over purged items in your record.  It’s just a system that tracks files added or purged from your record.  It’s a way to question by contacting PERS to as why they did just that.  

Guest Mestizo68
14 hours ago, Rolling DV8 said:

1.  You are overthinking this, KISS.  Board member guidance, it doesn’t matter where just keep it uniform.  Recorders prefer the social in the top right, they can flip through faster, verifying it is the same social/Sailor. 

2.  Submit any PME in LTB, always (according to CMC), and if a major qual is buried in an eval then put it in the LTB too. Don’t overwhelm with everything and always have a Master Chief and prior board member review your package. 

3.  Frocking letters in OMPF...I don’t have any in my OMPF and was Selected  CPO and CWO.  This might be a personal preference; I would focus on what is important.  

4.  I don’t have any in my OMPF.  Any current and relative designation letters were sent in LTB. The LTB also makes it easy for board members because they don’t have to go searching for it. 

5.  AA and AS in OMPF as well as transcripts.  BA isn’t.  If your degree is relative to your rate then highlight that in your LTB. It shows you are working beyond Navy training to grow in your profession. 

The LTB is your communication to the board.  Highlight anything important by putting it in a LTB (PPME/JPME, rate specific must-haves, collide).  Recent guidance to the Mess from a FLTCM, make sure anything questionable in the board eligibles record is addressed in the LTB.  Don’t let the board member have questions or think something is being hidden.  

There will be more responses with more answers, at the end of the day it is your package.  If you want me to look over anything PM me and I’ll send you my email. 

Rollng DV8:

1.  It is not a matter of overthinking....its a matter of finding information to serve the purpose of doing things the right way.  However, that still doesn't answer the question.  I can understand "keeping it in uniform" but there needs to be some guidance/instruction/SOP on it.  How would we know that recorders would actually prefer SSN's on the top right?  If that was the case, say it in a NAVADMIN or some type of instruction.  I've already had 1 person tell me that they always prompt the individual to keep it bottom left.  Again, this was why I raised the question.  However,  I finally found my own answer and I will share with the rest on this forum. 

Verbatim on this website:  http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/recordsmanagement/Pages/SelBdRcdRev.aspx

Selection Boards receive those digital record images that are related to the professional service history, performance evaluation, awards, and training of each officer or sailor.  Selection Boards use the same system, EMPRS, to view the digital images contained in the OMPF.

So now that we distinguished that the board members use EMPRS, review BUPERSINST 1070.27C PG. 3 under Identification of Documents.  Verbatim:

The name and social security  number (SSN) are the principal personnel identifiers used throughout EMPRS.  Ensure that both the member's name and SSN are on the document.  If necessary, write the member's name and SSN in the top, left-hand corner of each document submitted. 

2.  No offense....but your preaching to the choir.  This is something I already knew but I appreciate you anyway for educating myself and this forum. My focus on the importance is in full effect.  This forum or blog is of personal choice by simply reaching out to whomever can attribute to the topic or subject at hand and perhaps find something that I cant find. 

3.  Well.....Congrats on making CPO and CWO.  Must be an accomplishment.  Hats off to you. 

4.  If its on your evals, I would assume that board members would clearly see it.  My questions regarding Designation letters was a matter of whether anyone has seen a designation Letter documented on a PG. 13 / administrative remarks before.  (I'm reaching out for anyone that has or had one in their record).  For educational use only.

5.  Where does it say that only an AA or AS degree diploma can only be documented and uploaded onto you OMPF?  Why not BA?  or a Master's Degree Diploma?  If you have that in writing I definitely would like to read it?  What addresses or identifies that just because your Degree is relative to your rate then you should highlight it in an LTB?  Does it say anywhere that the board looks highly more at a relative degree pertaining to your rate?  I definitely would like to read that too if you have the reference for it. 

I definitely agree. The LTB is very important for communication to the board.  NAVADMIN 027/18 clearly states that.  (I love instructions/guidance/SOP/, etc.)

And yes, the package is my own.  Thank you for the offer for looking over anything regarding my endeavor but I will have to humbly decline.  I appreciate it though.

V/R,

DC1

19 hours ago, Mestizo68 said:

Rollng DV8:

1.  It is not a matter of overthinking....its a matter of finding information to serve the purpose of doing things the right way.  However, that still doesn't answer the question.  I can understand "keeping it in uniform" but there needs to be some guidance/instruction/SOP on it.  How would we know that recorders would actually prefer SSN's on the top right?  If that was the case, say it in a NAVADMIN or some type of instruction.  I've already had 1 person tell me that they always prompt the individual to keep it bottom left.  Again, this was why I raised the question.  However,  I finally found my own answer and I will share with the rest on this forum. 

Verbatim on this website:  http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/recordsmanagement/Pages/SelBdRcdRev.aspx

Selection Boards receive those digital record images that are related to the professional service history, performance evaluation, awards, and training of each officer or sailor.  Selection Boards use the same system, EMPRS, to view the digital images contained in the OMPF.

So now that we distinguished that the board members use EMPRS, review BUPERSINST 1070.27C PG. 3 under Identification of Documents.  Verbatim:

The name and social security  number (SSN) are the principal personnel identifiers used throughout EMPRS.  Ensure that both the member's name and SSN are on the document.  If necessary, write the member's name and SSN in the top, left-hand corner of each document submitted. 

And yes, the package is my own.  Thank you for the offer for looking over anything regarding my endeavor but I will have to humbly decline.  I appreciate it though.

V/R,

DC1

For the sake of consistency, it most likely would be helpful to add the name and SSN to the top left corner. However, the information you are providing is for documents contained in a member's record (OMPF - Official Military Personnel File) to view in EMPRS. A letter to the board is sent directly to the board.
"Selection Boards use the same system, EMPRS, to view the digital images contained in the OMPF."

In the below statement it refers to a third party, most likely an admin, to add the member's name and SSN if necessary (if no identifying information is provided). Again the LTB is sent directly to the board but is not submitted to the OMPF.
"Ensure that both the member's name and SSN are on the document.  If necessary, write the member's name and SSN in the top, left-hand corner of each document submitted. "

Additionally, the title of BUPERSINST 1070.27C is Document Submission Guidelines for the Electronic Military Personnel Records System. Inside it states that the OMPF is a permanent record of required information of that member. Again, I don't think an LTB is submitted to the OMPF and would not be permanent. 

Guest BOATSNUGGYD

It's that time of the year again. Got the LTB sent off now the waiting  for the FTS board to convene.

Guest osiris0107

I had a question for anyone that has dat a board. Just had a phone con with a full bird about LDO and she told me that I should get my awards updated on my ESR. I mean all five Nams and 1 Com are in my OMPF which the board has view of, but she told me to get it fixed in NDAWS so it doesn’t reflect 3 Nams and 1 Com on the ESR. I’m just wondering if the board would be “lazy” and not count up the awards on the OMPF and just go with the ESR cover sheet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
4 hours ago, osiris0107 said:

I had a question for anyone that has dat a board. Just had a phone con with a full bird about LDO and she told me that I should get my awards updated on my ESR. I mean all five Nams and 1 Com are in my OMPF which the board has view of, but she told me to get it fixed in NDAWS so it doesn’t reflect 3 Nams and 1 Com on the ESR. I’m just wondering if the board would be “lazy” and not count up the awards on the OMPF and just go with the ESR cover sheet. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I am only an HM1. Here's my input. The number of awards you have should show in your Personal Data Summary Part I. Make sure it appears as NA - 5, and NC - 1. If these are incorrect, then you have to contact your ndaws authority and get yours fixed. As per the MCs I had talked to, only the OMPF field codes 30-38; PSR part I and III; and your LTB are being presented to the board.

11 hours ago, GoNavy88 said:

has anyone added BPME and IPMEs in addition to the JPME/PME for E6s?

I haven’t seen it added. It’s your package though if you find it important or needing then add it. Those a junior enlisted courses so I would think they wouldn’t add much weight. I wouldn’t add it but at the end of the day it’s up to you. 

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)

So made board again...I studied harder this year, cut a 151, only to have them drop the multiple to 20!

Anyhow, waiting for reserve quotas to come out, one OSCS retired and another from my NOSC made OSCS, so hopefully the quotas will be higher this year than the 4 they chose last year.....

Guest Riverine Rat

I have a few questions for the members here I could use some help with.

1) MOVSM: working on getting mine but reading the requirements for it are open for interpretation. My question is if I have volunteer service over my career documented with letters or in my evals could I use them to put in for it or should I have more consecutive years of service? With multiple deployments coming in almost back to back to back, I don't have any volunteer work here recent. I never considered even trying to get a MOVSM and that's not why I have volunteered. But if I have in the past could I use my evals and "Thank you" letters as proof or should it be recent activity?

2) While reviewing my record I noticed my NAVPERS 1070/880 Honors and Awards, 1070/882 Training Summary, 1070/886 Member Data Summary, and 1070/605 History of Assignments have not been updated since 2010. I have printed them out off of NSIPS and going to take them to admin to get updated to OMPF, Should I Still submit with my package while waiting for it to be updated or hold off on submitting my package until they do unless June 4 comes around?

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
9 hours ago, Riverine Rat said:

I have a few questions for the members here I could use some help with.

1) MOVSM: working on getting mine but reading the requirements for it are open for interpretation. My question is if I have volunteer service over my career documented with letters or in my evals could I use them to put in for it or should I have more consecutive years of service? With multiple deployments coming in almost back to back to back, I don't have any volunteer work here recent. I never considered even trying to get a MOVSM and that's not why I have volunteered. But if I have in the past could I use my evals and "Thank you" letters as proof or should it be recent activity?

2) While reviewing my record I noticed my NAVPERS 1070/880 Honors and Awards, 1070/882 Training Summary, 1070/886 Member Data Summary, and 1070/605 History of Assignments have not been updated since 2010. I have printed them out off of NSIPS and going to take them to admin to get updated to OMPF, Should I Still submit with my package while waiting for it to be updated or hold off on submitting my package until they do unless June 4 comes around?

1. When I received my first MOVSM I claimed the volunteer hours from 2006 to 2011. I had a broken volunteer hours so I claimed more years to support the three years worth of volunteerism. 

2. PSD usually perform a close out for your 880 and 881 to OMPF upon reenlistment, and or getting out of service. 

Guest Riverine Rat
29 minutes ago, HM1(SW/AW/IW/FMF), MTS said:

1. When I received my first MOVSM I claimed the volunteer hours from 2006 to 2011. I had a broken volunteer hours so I claimed more years to support the three years worth of volunteerism. 

2. PSD usually perform a close out for your 880 and 881 to OMPF upon reenlistment, and or getting out of service. 

Correct, I was aware PSD is suppose to perform a close out upon reenlistment or getting out. The fact that they didn't or at least didn't get it entered into my OMPF is the issue. The last time anything was updated it was in 2010. 

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
31 minutes ago, Riverine Rat said:

Correct, I was aware PSD is suppose to perform a close out upon reenlistment or getting out. The fact that they didn't or at least didn't get it entered into my OMPF is the issue. The last time anything was updated it was in 2010. 

Yes, you can. I used to be the CPC at the school and dealt with a lot of PS' in the past. You can ask your CPC to help you TOPS your inquiry to PSD. Good luck.

Guest Riverine Rat
7 minutes ago, HM1(SW/AW/IW/FMF), MTS said:

Yes, you can. I used to be the CPC at the school and dealt with a lot of PS' in the past. You can ask your CPC to help you TOPS your inquiry to PSD. Good luck.

Thanks HM1, Good luck this year. 

Guest Riverine Rat

Just got my official degree completion plan showing I will graduate with my Bachelors Degree July 13, taking 4 classes next term to finish it up as fast as possible. Hopefully the board will take it into consideration even though I wont have it done in time to submit it with my package.