FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest HawkISback
On 8/9/2017 at 10:30 AM, HI_IT said:

Good for you.  I thought I had done the same but I guess not.

It might be a time in service, I was at 18.6.  I also had some street credibility in Afghanistan.  I just don't play well with the regular navy, seems the same in the phase two portion. People still wanna be about themselves and not the team.  I get really frustrated when people go in for the me portion. I am not perfect either, if I was I could figure a way to reach them. 

I will be glad once I can get back to the grind after the season.

Guest HawkISback

Where they normal periodicity or was a LIMDU or other issue involved? Some in here will say take care of your Sailors and it will work itself out.  However, it's still a point game at the end.  USMAP, command impact performance in collateral duties, school, volunteerism ending with a MOVSM, the PPME, BPME, SEJPME, all help.  At this point the more you do the better, the last two years I had 20 lines of input on my evaluations.  I didn't have my come to Jesus moment until late in the navy, so maybe you don't need as much as me. Just keep fighting, if the NOBs were due to limdu some have said include a statement on your LTB, I can't help much on that because I didn't do it, but your command might be able to. 

Guest PO14Life
46 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

Where they normal periodicity or was a LIMDU or other issue involved? Some in here will say take care of your Sailors and it will work itself out.  However, it's still a point game at the end.  USMAP, command impact performance in collateral duties, school, volunteerism ending with a MOVSM, the PPME, BPME, SEJPME, all help.  At this point the more you do the better, the last two years I had 20 lines of input on my evaluations.  I didn't have my come to Jesus moment until late in the navy, so maybe you don't need as much as me. Just keep fighting, if the NOBs were due to limdu some have said include a statement on your LTB, I can't help much on that because I didn't do it, but your command might be able to. 

Going on and off LIMDU I received two NOBs. I have my USMAP, Associates, MOVSM, and all my PPME's. I am an AUPC right now, and before I was a SAPR, CFS, and CTT. I have several LPO evals but I am ALPO right now due to the current LPO OTEIPing here. I have involvement in leading CP365/FCPOA training and events on my last few evals. I have mentorship and training on them as well. The one xfer  to limdu eval is a black eye due to the reporting seniors average being well above what they gave me. Though the write up showed how much I did there. I am getting tired of the keep doing what you are doing spiel, and I have a MC going over the eval I am about to submit.

Guest HawkISback

Make sure you have the planning and leading the 365 training events.  Also, your region should have a SAPR VA watchbill try and get on that.  It's doing the right thing, and it helps you out to.  You can't control the past, you can use it as motivation like I did.  But it's done, if I see the same "Chiefs" I would have some words.  I also got CPR instructor and taught my command and region commands.  It's good to practice public speaking with that to. Now try and get the Sailors involved in USMAP and school if you can and try to get a different collateral if you can for next year if you are there. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PO14Life
11 hours ago, Mrs G said:

Back to the grind! I felt that I would not be affected if I did not get selected. Yup, I was wrong. It stung badly. No crying though. It's time to work harder for the FY 19-S. :) 

Yea it's a little rough, but you can bounce back. I had a MC review my record, and now he's going over my eval. So we can aim it to my defficiencies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HawkISback
On 8/23/2017 at 8:53 PM, PO14Life said:

Going on and off LIMDU I received two NOBs. I have my USMAP, Associates, MOVSM, and all my PPME's. I am an AUPC right now, and before I was a SAPR, CFS, and CTT. I have several LPO evals but I am ALPO right now due to the current LPO OTEIPing here. I have involvement in leading CP365/FCPOA training and events on my last few evals. I have mentorship and training on them as well. The one xfer  to limdu eval is a black eye due to the reporting seniors average being well above what they gave me. Though the write up showed how much I did there. I am getting tired of the keep doing what you are doing spiel, and I have a MC going over the eval I am about to submit.

The other thing I was told by my current CMC, it is important to keep seeking new challenging collateral duties.

Guest PO14Life
9 hours ago, HawkISback said:

The other thing I was told by my current CMC, it is important to keep seeking new challenging collateral duties.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get rid of UPC any time soon. My command can't get many suckers to take it. I was going to be CMEO but then my command changed their mind while I was on Det. Can't think of many others I haven't done. Except for DAPA but they just changed recently. I was just put in for SOQ but the other 1st class in my division got it last quarter so I have zero chance of getting it.

Guest HawkISback

You don't have to give the old ones up, see if you can at least add one. If you do command quarters, or for department ones talk to then LCPO about scheduling a  naval heritage brief each time, where all the junior Sailors give a five sentence presentation.  Schedule it like a watchbill and you can be the coordinator.  This is good for them to practice speaking in front of people, and they learn naval heritage and it is a good bullet. 

• 1 month later...

Just signed my Eval.... write-up is good, mostly what I put in, just numbers massaging mostly. But I received a 'P'. It's my second P in a row (I was MP, EP, EP before checking into this command). There was no room for progression. I wasn't the LPO because I'm "off platform" and 4/5 EPs had EPs last cycle and extended. So the manning levels prevented me from moving beyond #1 P this year. Does anyone know of anyone that was under the senior rater's average and a P two years in a row, assuming all other "checks in the block"?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HawkISback
On 11/9/2017 at 2:50 AM, Stazz said:

Just signed my Eval.... write-up is good, mostly what I put in, just numbers massaging mostly. But I received a 'P'. It's my second P in a row (I was MP, EP, EP before checking into this command). There was no room for progression. I wasn't the LPO because I'm "off platform" and 4/5 EPs had EPs last cycle and extended. So the manning levels prevented me from moving beyond #1 P this year. Does anyone know of anyone that was under the senior rater's average and a P two years in a row, assuming all other "checks in the block"?

It’s usally a detractor, but the write up can counter.  Showing progression is important.  Ultimately it will also come down to your rates opportunity to move up. Good luck on the test. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ¡Viva!
On 8/17/2017 at 2:36 PM, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

I know exactly how you feel man. I just know you feel it more because you been trying longer than me. I have 5 years left to retirement. People say the same things to me. Why didn't he make it?  Junior sailors making it before me, people who don't care to make chief still making it. I did back to back sea duty, have everything the precepts and convening order said. Had the highest advancement rate to chief my rate has ever seen this year and still got the N. I have looked at my record and the only thing I can see is my overlapping evals from when I made first. That was corrected by sending a memo to PERS, its in my actual record. So I don't know what else I need to do. I have MP, EP from this new command I am at, my last command was P, MP, MP. I have seen people make it with back to back Ps and back to back MPs. IMO the selection process is flawed...

Have you tried having someone who has been to a board look at your record? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PO14Life

Can’t seem to study I know I need it more now since I didn’t get the EP. though not getting the EP is kinda demoralizing. I also wish I would be getting my degree in time. What do y’all think I could send so that they see I’m almost done. I have three classes left, and I could rush them all in time, but then my GPA would suffer.

Guest HawkISback

If it’s not for masters level three classes shouldn’t be impossible. One of my friends was doing 8 at a time.  How bad do you want it?  I did 3 at once, wasn’t fun but I survived. 

Guest PO14Life
6 hours ago, HawkISback said:

If it’s not for masters level three classes shouldn’t be impossible. One of my friends was doing 8 at a time.  How bad do you want it?  I did 3 at once, wasn’t fun but I survived. 

I could do it but my gpa would suffer. Also my command isn’t low maintenance, it would be hard especially since one of them is my capstone. Balance is key.

Guest HAZEGREY1775
On 12/20/2017 at 5:57 PM, HMC(SW/IW/AW) said:

Working on a degree is great but speaking with past board membership education points is the one area where you either have a degree or you don't, which means you only can receive points for a competed degree. I would suggest completing your degree to maximize your points. 

I echo HMC's comments. After all, education is usually just a tie breaker type of thing (look at where its placed on the convening order/precept).  Is it a coincidence it's placed at the end? Hmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HawkISback

Good Luck everyone. Start working out now if you are not already, I thought I was in shape before phase 2 kicked off.   I was wrong.  Lol. 

Guest TUTOBENJI

So help me out here... I just transferred commands from sea to shore. If I do the FMS for my eval correctly I have my E5 eval, frocked, first ranked and my last eval. So thats 4 evals (if I'm not mistaken). That's a 3.57, 4.00, 3.86, and 4.43 with an average of 3.96. I went from ALPO to LPO at sea during a combat deployment, night check QA supervisor. I was the FCPOA Master @ Arms, Section Leader, EAWS Coordinator, Motorcycle safety, UPC, and CPO 365 Phase I coordinator. I finished both USMAPs, PPME, SJPME, and before I left I got a NAM and MOVSM. If the board is looking at the last 5 EVALs at the least, they're not gonna see my USMAPs, and my MOVSM, NAM, PPME, and SJPME are not in my last EVAL. I know that I need to add these things in my LTB, but should I add the NAM and the USMAPs. I'm sick of sitting idle, and ready to be an AOC. Any advice... I'm all ears.

Guest GoNavy88

I am probably a little too late in requesting a revision in my evaluation write up.  Long story short, I turn in my evaluation draft with only 5 months on the ship and I was expecting a welcome aboard P.  Than I got put up for of the quarter and wrote another eval Incase I win of the year.  I ended up getting Soy and my second eval write pretty much had me sound like I was doing all sort of things which I did but less on the new guy hitting the deck plate stuff, but sadly my second write up never made it to the triad.  Personally I don’t feel my initial eval is strong enough and it was hard to say anything since my CO, CMC and my LCPO were all saying great things during the debrief.

My opening statement read somewhere on the lines of #2 of 17 E6, already performing as a chief, filling a gapped chief billet and SOY FY17.

__welcome aboard write up__

closing statemen”Command wide impact. Promote to Chief now!”

should I bring this up?  My Chain Of Command and the triad is great but I don’t want them to think they did a poor job at revising when it was my very own write up.  I just feel the recommendations don’t justify the write up.

any advice is appreciated.

Guest osiris0107
2 hours ago, GoNavy88 said:

I am probably a little too late in requesting a revision in my evaluation write up.  Long story short, I turn in my evaluation draft with only 5 months on the ship and I was expecting a welcome aboard P.  Than I got put up for of the quarter and wrote another eval Incase I win of the year.  I ended up getting Soy and my second eval write pretty much had me sound like I was doing all sort of things which I did but less on the new guy hitting the deck plate stuff, but sadly my second write up never made it to the triad.  Personally I don’t feel my initial eval is strong enough and it was hard to say anything since my CO, CMC and my LCPO were all saying great things during the debrief.

My opening statement read somewhere on the lines of #2 of 17 E6, already performing as a chief, filling a gapped chief billet and SOY FY17.

__welcome aboard write up__

closing statemen”Command wide impact. Promote to Chief now!”

should I bring this up?  My Chain Of Command and the triad is great but I don’t want them to think they did a poor job at revising when it was my very own write up.  I just feel the recommendations don’t justify the write up.

any advice is appreciated.

It's difficult to tell senior officers and enlisted that what they wrote for you is not good enough. I have learned in the past that you could write an amazing eval with input from other master chiefs and then hand it to chain. Once they get it, they tend to put their own spin on it. You could inform them of your input, but I would tread lightly, some people that have been doing this for a long time tend to be offended when you make comments about their work. All in all it sounds like you got the slice of pie, you just might have to eat the crust first before diving into the filling.

"It is better for a man to leave great men in his position than to leave as the greatest"