FY19 Chief Selection Board

Guest Submarinecook1stclass
7 minutes ago, TM1/SS said:

The only question I have on that is, as I'm sure you already know, theres a difference between Qualified and Standing. At one point we had a quite a few FCPO's qualified Dive, but not standing, they were gimme's essentially. 

But real talk, if you have LPO at sea, CFL and COW, (better if standing than qualified), you should be ok. Good friend of mine picked up CSSC last year, and I qualified him COW as the ASDO. But like a lot of people have said before, how many of your sailors have you advanced? How many have gotten awards? I mean your a CS so you guys get awards for Cookies and Breakfast but they all count just the same haha.

I do have noted, people being qualified and advanced or BJOQ and what not, not as much as I would like and I did stand COW for two full patrols. One thing I’ve heard and realized  this year is that surface guys evals are written better then sub guys, I’ve been told that by three masterchiefs that have sat all three boards. Have you heard the same by any chance? I’m out of the Bangor area.

Guest TM1/SS
1 hour ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

I do have noted, people being qualified and advanced or BJOQ and what not, not as much as I would like and I did stand COW for two full patrols. One thing I’ve heard and realized  this year is that surface guys evals are written better then sub guys, I’ve been told that by three masterchiefs that have sat all three boards. Have you heard the same by any chance? I’m out of the Bangor area.

So honestly we aren't compared to the surface guys as far as I've ever been told. We don't go in the tank against them, we're not judged by them. Our evals stand on their own. I have an excellent"old school" eval in my record right now that my CO wrote personally. I'd not really worry about how your eval looks against a surface sailors. Where in Bangor? I just left Bama last fall. 

Guest CursedSwabbie
10 hours ago, Submarinecook1stclass said:

I would not say better... The good thing is that all sub rates are under one group and they have a 74 commodore heading the group. 

Guest THEORDNANCMAN

So had a NJP in 2014. I was reduced in rake back to E5, and then followed the standard SP EVAL, and the they gave me a transfer P. I check into my next command as a Second Class, and first week I get put in QA, first ranked EVAL as a second with 8 months on board got a MP. Results come out I make first for the second time, #1 Frocked EP. First ranked E6 EVAL LPO at sea MP, my average was higher than the RSCA. I extended for my last EVAL which was #4 EP out of 19. LPO at sea full systems QAR, CPO-365 facilitator, command UPC & EAWS COOR, FCPOA Master @ Arms, PPME & SJPME, USMAP, and MOVSM. Multiple of my sailors advancing and getting qualified. Honest opinion do you think that NJP hurt me, or do you think they will see how I bounced back and redeemed my self?:5268:

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
4 minutes ago, THEORDNANCMAN said:

So had a NJP in 2014. I was reduced in rake back to E5, and then followed the standard SP EVAL, and the they gave me a transfer P. I check into my next command as a Second Class, and first week I get put in QA, first ranked EVAL as a second with 8 months on board got a MP. Results come out I make first for the second time, #1 Frocked EP. First ranked E6 EVAL LPO at sea MP, my average was higher than the RSCA. I extended for my last EVAL which was #4 EP out of 19. LPO at sea full systems QAR, CPO-365 facilitator, command UPC & EAWS COOR, FCPOA Master @ Arms, PPME & SJPME, USMAP, and MOVSM. Multiple of my sailors advancing and getting qualified. Honest opinion do you think that NJP hurt me, or do you think they will see how I bounced back and redeemed my self?:5268:

Honestly I dont know. man with these boards they are just all different. I would say you bounced back, but I am still a PO1 also. I have had back to back MPs when I was stationed on the truman. I have had 3 Master Chiefs who sat the board tell me that, it hurt me on the board. This was 4 evals ago, and for some reason I am still paying for those evals. ( I got screwed out of the EP). It sucks, only thing you can do is continue to get better and grow, take care of your sailors and hope for the best. 

Not going to sit here and say you have a good chance. because I am not a chief, I never sat a board, and there is not a "path" carved for anchors. It does say in the convening order that we are not a zero defect navy, and all that matters is that you show resilience. It will be viewed as positve. 

I would say read the convening order and take it as that. No one can sit here and tell you no or yes. Good luck man, I will be looking for your post on here when selection day arrives.

Guest THEORDNANCMAN
8 minutes ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Honestly I dont know. man with these boards they are just all different. I would say you bounced back, but I am still a PO1 also. I have had back to back MPs when I was stationed on the truman. I have had 3 Master Chiefs who sat the board tell me that, it hurt me on the board. This was 4 evals ago, and for some reason I am still paying for those evals. ( I got screwed out of the EP). It sucks, only thing you can do is continue to get better and grow, take care of your sailors and hope for the best. 

Not going to sit here and say you have a good chance. because I am not a chief, I never sat a board, and there is not a "path" carved for anchors. It does say in the convening order that we are not a zero defect navy, and all that matters is that you show resilience. It will be viewed as positve. 

I would say read the convening order and take it as that. No one can sit here and tell you no or yes. Good luck man, I will be looking for your post on here when selection day arrives.

Thanks... I good luck to you too!!

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
13 minutes ago, THEORDNANCMAN said:

My last 5 years look like this: P, MP, MP (On Truman)

MP, EP, EP ( on IKE) First EP was 7 of 39. Second EP was 8 of 287. Didnt make it last year of the first EP. Even though I got to a new command and got MP my first eval. 

I have all the PPME courses, USMAP, Green Belt, Degree, CPO 365, advancements under me. Sailors getting qualified warfare pins, advancing, the whole 9. 

I still dont like my chances because of the back to back MPs.

I also seen someone last year ( in my same area, aviation) make it off back to back Ps.

I also seen someone get a transfer P, then get a MP, EP, EP and make it.

No one knows what these boards are looking for really.

Your fate is simply decided on the opinion of humans.  Its human nature not to be perfect and let some of the really good sailors slip through and let the no so good ones walk the path. 

I know this is a long post, but good luck to all of you in here and I hope you get the S. 

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
22 minutes ago, THEORDNANCMAN said:

If it makes you feel any better, I also seen a AT make cheif in 4 years. He had EP< EP< EP. So they used his 3rd, 2nd, and 1st class eval and determined he was ready. So I think you have a chance. I have a serious problem with the board process if they are advancing sailors who only have 4 years of expericence under their belt. That s me personally. I just dont think you have enough experience leading sailors, experiencing different scenarios to be selected that early in your career. Sorry about the rambling, just trying to pass the time.  You getting a soft breakout after your NJP will definitely be viewed as positive, and you might stand really good chance, depending on your advancement percentage for your rate

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
2 minutes ago, GSM1snipe said:

First time on here. Reading some great stuff. Good luck to everyone!

Welcome and of course your knowledge and experience is always welcomed!!

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
30 minutes ago, Montrell1891 said:

So I've always heard that if a board member runs into a package of someone they know they aren't supposed to review it.

I have heard that also, but if the board member does not disclose they know a person, then how will anyone know? Its all based on HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT!!!

Guest THEORDNANCMAN
46 minutes ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

If it makes you feel any better, I also seen a AT make cheif in 4 years. He had EP< EP< EP. So they used his 3rd, 2nd, and 1st class eval and determined he was ready. So I think you have a chance. I have a serious problem with the board process if they are advancing sailors who only have 4 years of expericence under their belt. That s me personally. I just dont think you have enough experience leading sailors, experiencing different scenarios to be selected that early in your career. Sorry about the rambling, just trying to pass the time.  You getting a soft breakout after your NJP will definitely be viewed as positive, and you might stand really good chance, depending on your advancement percentage for your rate

AO's sitting at 20%.

Guest TM4life
28 minutes ago, GSM1snipe said:

First time on here. Reading some great stuff. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to you as well. While we are all waiting on the results I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the positive information and networking that is being given out by all the FCPO's and Chiefs. 

Guest Boatstheman

Good luck to everyone. This is my 10th time up. Re-upped to do the 22yr HYT. So I’ve been told the 1st of August for us knowing. 

Guest MR1(SW/SCW/AW

Having been in 18 years, when I decided to take the career path I did, I’m hoping now it won’t hurt me. Diversity was a big thing for many years. So I took all the hard duties, only worked in rate maybe half of my career. But now I’m hearing that they want more inrate than anything. My Evals are mediocre. Nothing special, they do hit all the wickets on leadership, collaterals etc. 

only two weeks or so left, good luck to all.

Guest CursedSwabbie
4 minutes ago, TM4life said:

Good luck to you as well. While we are all waiting on the results I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the positive information and networking that is being given out by all the FCPO's and Chiefs. 

I started here when i was trying to go for LDO... I May not have picked up Chief.. But thanks to the people here I have improved my package very year!

So to add I got 2 p’s in a row then finally got what I derserved after winning SSOQ EP 13 of 134 at the same command. Always have led sailors I have a degree, bpme, Jpme, movsm, non residentials courses, command collaterals,  365 involvement, FCPOM treasurer, LPO sea even complete all my rate USMAPs and went IA to Afghanistan, I have been preparing for this opportunity for years now. But yet  I still have no clue what I could be missing been in 14 years now, And will be going recruiting in a few months it just sucks my rate only advanced 13  which is 9%, is it a such thing as being over qualified. 

Guest TheKardiacKid
9 minutes ago, Montrell1891 said:

Yeah we saw how that "HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT" went over with the MC board. The Navy can't stay out of the spot light these days. We need more leadership that actually means what they say and aren't just putting on a show.

After what happened with the referenced MCPO board, I can't fathom any board member out there that would risk E9 retirement, their reputation, and risking 25-30 years of honorable service just to give the "ol' boy hookup" anymore.

Guest STS1(SS)752754

At the meeting in work this morning they said as early as Friday for triad but no later than the 31st. This is coming from people in DC where I work.

Guest PO Theo
On 7/19/2018 at 7:41 PM, STS1(SS)752754 said:

Looking at the board membership section and wondering what the A, B, and C sections are on it or what they stand for?

Help me out here. Where are you seeing the A, B, and C labels?

Guest STS1(SS)752754
4 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

So a few days ago there was three groups labeled a b and c. A was submarine group and b and c were something surface related. When I logged on yesterday it had changed just to show who was in the board and no group a b or c. I'm assuming now that the a b and c thing was a mistake and they fixed it with the right one. Just ready for the results to come out finally. 

Guest CursedSwabbie
32 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

On the membership PDF for the board.

First 9 months as an E5 I got a P, then #6 of 40 EP, then 5 months and a 1 of 1 transfer EP unfortunately no soft break out, made first while transferring to shore duty and got my first E6 eval ranked the next year a high MP above RSCA, then back to back #1 of 20 something EPs two years in a row. Two sailor of the quarters. Both JPMEs I/II and all of the PMEs... introductory, basic, primary and officer completed. Primary CFL as well as multiple other command collaterals. CLEPed a couple classes but no degree.  MTS as well as documented all the training and boards I sat to qualify others. Second time up for Chief let’s hope this is the year. Good luck to everyone!!!

Guest PO Theo
15 minutes ago, CursedSwabbie said:

On the membership PDF for the board.

It's not there any longer. I think they posted it in that format on accident and later corrected it. Did anyone happen to save a copy of it before they changed it?

Guest TM1/SS
7 minutes ago, PO Theo said:

It's not there any longer. I think they posted it in that format on accident and later corrected it. Did anyone happen to save a copy of it before they changed it?

I'd like to know the same thing, mainly to know if Sub Nukes were put in with regular Sub guys, since the only one I knew on the board was a nuke lol