FY19 Chief Selection Board

Today is the day to get started on next year. Congrats to those that made the FY-18 list, now lets push and give ourselves the best shot at it in FY19.

From @Tony on the FY18 post:

For those wanting to get an early start in getting advice, networking and sharing, you can start here. Additionally, there is a CPO365 Phase I thread that many may find beneficial. To keep things organized for your sake, please discuss CPO365 stuff in that thread. It will make it easier and more relevant for later use.

The "To Do" & "Required Reading" list that you, the member, wrote and built. 

More resources may be forthcoming but don't forget to start studying yesterday!

Are You Up For Chief?
It’s not just about what you do; it’s about what’s on paper

Sailorizing the Sailors

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Thanks for starting this. As a heads up, superior performance link is broken.

I have already reached out to one of the board members who I know and asked for advice on strengthening my package. He also offered to look at my first draft for my eval this cycle. I feel like these are good steps to being stronger next year  

I am also starting to look into USMAPs, while I don't plan to use it when I get out, it is looked on favorably by the board. Anyone have any advice in regards to that? As a nuclear electrician I was thinking of the electrician, maintenance (0643N) as the apprenticeship. I am trying to figure out a reasonable time it would take to complete, what counts for work, and what the experience of 9 years in brings with it in terms of hours.

I will have 12 months of EWS documented on this next eval, as well as completion of my Master's. I intend to include CPO 365 participation as that is now optional to attend. I also intend to do the PPME.

As long as my eval this cycle is an EP (first one that isn't a transfer) I should have a better shot next year.  The evals may hold me back for a bit, but if I do the other aspects to continue bettering myself, and continue to take care of anyone underneath me, the advancement should come.

i look forward to working to improve what I can over the next 9 months until the LTB deadline and the waiting begins again.

I'll check things out when I get caught up.

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

Here we go! Let's do this! Back on the grind looking for some guidance, advice, and more guidance. Haha! 

From my last post on the FY18 forum, I wasn't selected this year. A hard pill to swallow but I'm not giving up. Any of my IT brothers or sisters didn't get selected as well? What should we work on to be more competitive? 193 selectees and my hopes were pretty high this time around.

Guest anavychick02

Greetings All,

I  was a lurking last season and I finally choose to make an account. A little about me I have been in for  14 years now, I'm am OS1 SW/AW  currently on recruiting duty. This was my first time being able to have to the board see my record, but I have taken the Chief's exam 4 times now. The feedback I got from a board member was I'm still young in my rate and there is room for me to grow, I was on limdu but didn't explain it on my LTB,  I had discrepancies in my record as well. I have everything under the sun SEJPME, JPME, LPO at sea, I'm running a recruiting station now and I'm not an NC,  Associates Degree, MOVSM, USMAPS, Command Dapa, ACFL, Sapr, currently in school now pursuing my Bachelor's degree. I was really upset when my name wasn't called but I'm better now. I'm excited to get back to business and try it again next year!! I looking forward to getting some knowledge and meeting great people!

Guest SouthernSailor
2 hours ago, anavychick02 said:

Greetings All,

I  was a lurking last season and I finally choose to make an account. A little about me I have been in for  14 years now, I'm am OS1 SW/AW  currently on recruiting duty. This was my first time being able to have to the board see my record, but I have taken the Chief's exam 4 times now. The feedback I got from a board member was I'm still young in my rate and there is room for me to grow, I was on limdu but didn't explain it on my LTB,  I had discrepancies in my record as well. I have everything under the sun SEJPME, JPME, LPO at sea, I'm running a recruiting station now and I'm not an NC,  Associates Degree, MOVSM, USMAPS, Command Dapa, ACFL, Sapr, currently in school now pursuing my Bachelor's degree. I was really upset when my name wasn't called but I'm better now. I'm excited to get back to business and try it again next year!! I looking forward to getting some knowledge and meeting great people!

Most of this seems spot on.  However, after coming into the reserves, I cross rated into BM and have been one for about 2 years now roughly.  So being young in rate may not always be a deciding factor for the N... that's just my two cents.  Take it for what it's worth.  I went from being an AE into being a BM.  Luckily for me, I landed in a unit that does 3M maintenance so I'm very familiar with that.  So it gave me a place to excel even though I know next to nothing about being an actual BM... Continue to keep putting your best foot forward and taking care of your Sailors.  Your time will come as well...

Guest RjIDC8425

Hopefully number 6 will be my lucky number next year. It was by far the worst selection year for me since I happened to be PCSing and had to put everything on hold to wait to find out if I was staying for second phase or not. Now I am in a mad dash to checkout then head out to my next command by mid September. It seems that it's hard to get a good read on what the FTS board is looking for. Yes there are precepts but it doesn't seem to really cover anything but the basics. It seems to boil down to what those board members of the convening year are wanting in potential selectees. With each near year it is always something different, one year it might be collateral duties where another year it might be volunteerism. Each year I have talked with multiple khakis at different ranks, many who stood on boards, and it's always been something different.

This year felt like year. Selected both 2016 SOY at my unit and my ISIC, received an EP, EXW Command Coordinator, prior FCPOA president/active CPO365, IDC and Medical Department Head, awarded a NAM for assisting in and processing 400 service members at ECRC. Service record is tight, completed all required courses like PPME/JPME, have an associate degree and will be completed with my bachelors next year. The chief mess and rest of the command thought for sure I was a shoe in this year but were floored that I did not get selected. Some of them were more pissed off than me..crazy.  My CMC was dumbfounded after seeing the "N" next to my name, didn't really say much afterwards except that a CDB will be held soon but not sure what to recommend to help next year. 

So I been running through my head on what else I can do. I thought double SOY would be highly regarded but it felt like this year it didn't mean anything for my case. It's funny when people list all these recommendations on what they feel will help out in getting selected but talking with prior selectees, a lot of them didn't have half of the accomplishments. Handful never did PPME/JPME or USMAPS or have big command collaterals or MOVSM. I know numerous FTS khakis who don't hold any NECs or have deployments or any warfare devices. I even been told in the past by a few master chiefs that I don't fit the typical FTS model because I never been to a NOSC or RCC and that might be a factor of not being selected yet...I think it is absurd but...you don't know what the board thinks. It's just feels like it's a matter on time and if your lucky. Not trying to sound disillusioned but it's a difficult after so many years working hard and feeling that all your accomplishments should be culminating to this year being the year...but being past again.

I support all those who get selected and hold no ill will against any of them and wish them the best of luck.  Just frustrated that we are never given any clue on why we didn't make the selection for that year. So here's to another year in the hopes of being selected. For those who didn't get selected, only words of advice I have comes an unexpected source. It might me silly but it's from a kids movie that I watch with my daughter recently and it seems to hold true. A little blue fish quoted, "When life gets you down, you know what you gotta do? Just keep swimming." 

Sorry for the long rant but just needed to vent a bit. Thanks and take care.

Guest PO14Life

Hey all, back again for the torment. It's hard to get your head right when there are many other factors. Maybe when I get back it will be better.

Guest HawkISback
18 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

I have already reached out to one of the board members who I know and asked for advice on strengthening my package. He also offered to look at my first draft for my eval this cycle. I feel like these are good steps to being stronger next year  

I am also starting to look into USMAPs, while I don't plan to use it when I get out, it is looked on favorably by the board. Anyone have any advice in regards to that? As a nuclear electrician I was thinking of the electrician, maintenance (0643N) as the apprenticeship. I am trying to figure out a reasonable time it would take to complete, what counts for work, and what the experience of 9 years in brings with it in terms of hours.

I will have 12 months of EWS documented on this next eval, as well as completion of my Master's. I intend to include CPO 365 participation as that is now optional to attend. I also intend to do the PPME.

As long as my eval this cycle is an EP (first one that isn't a transfer) I should have a better shot next year.  The evals may hold me back for a bit, but if I do the other aspects to continue bettering myself, and continue to take care of anyone underneath me, the advancement should come.

i look forward to working to improve what I can over the next 9 months until the LTB deadline and the waiting begins again.

According to the CPO guidebook we were talking about a USMAP counts the same as an associates degree. I did the computer operator first and now working on the IT one.  Do PPME, then the JKO version, try to do it before eval close out time. That way you don't have to submit the certificate, I did BPME, PPME, and the joint version. I'm not really sure if they saw it on FY-18 board because my command didn't put it on my final eval draft.  Maybe because of my college, try to at least get your associates, it will help with post military if nothing else. Lead your volunteer efforts if possible, make sure you capture the 365 training you lead if your command does. 

I would also also say this, we don't know how we look to the board.  I could have been the last guy selected, and you guys could have been the last one below the cutoff, so don't get to disheartened.  I was fortunate my CMC threw just about every collateral duty on my plate, and I was mostly successful. The thing he always stressed is seize EVERY OPPORTUNITY. It's a chance to hone leadership skills, and stand out to your leadership as a can do individual.  Good luck, I will be busy the next few weeks, but barring underway I'll be in here. I'm a bit of an introvert and here communication is easier for me lol.  

Guest HawkISback
5 hours ago, PO14Life said:

And is the consensus that explaining things in a LTB is a good thing? I.e Limdu or choppy history 

It can be, I had LIMDU drama my last command, they also tried to give me the kiss of death 1/1 MP. But I am still standing.  IMO the EP helps for the test, but the write up is the most critical piece.  

Guest Riverine Rat
14 hours ago, subguy10524 said:

Some of the things I have gathered:  Do you have any college? Associates, Bachelors, Masters? All count for points toward advancement.  Are you doing USMAP? Are you working toward certs in your job?  

Do you have LPO >12 months? Are you qualified supervisor >12 months? Many of these things will help add to the overall package.  Have you gotten your volunteer medal? Are you qualified everything you can? Including 3M WCS and up.  

What do your evals look like? Are you looking at last cycle E7 evals and trying to find high ranked E6 evals to compare what you write to that? There are lots of things we can do on our own without a lot of outside help.  That is where I am starting. I am working on my eval for this cycle already and using the #1 EP from last cycle and going to look at at some Chief evals as well to work on mine for this cycle.  

I'm with you on this I am working on the same things and already looking into my eval. 

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)

Question, how can someone with back to back P evals and a PRT failure make it but I cant. Had number 7 EP last cycle, got a MP my first eval at my new command, but when I left the Truman I had P, MP, MP. No PRT failures, all PPME courses completed, 2 US MAPS, Associates Degree, Airspeed Green Belt qualified, OOD qualified, and 365 involvement on my eval leading first classes.?? Any advice on what I can do??

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
14 hours ago, anavychick02 said:

Greetings All,

One thing I can tell you is that there is no such thing as being too young in your rate!! I just witnessed 17 out of the 30 people in my rate (AS) make chief... So that tells you that, that was a lie!!!! I am in the same boat as you. 14 years in and I have pretty much everything you have except the DAPA and MOVSM. MOVSM cannot be a deciding factor in making chief , if it is then that is just ridiculous. I have done back to back sea duty, so I really don't have time to volunteer... I was really upset I didn't get the S this year and I really need to know what I am doing wrong... Contacted a board member but he has yet to answer my message

Guest ASC(AW/SW/IW)
11 hours ago, RjIDC8425 said:

Hopefully number 6 will be my lucky number next year. It was by far the worst selection year for me since I happened to be PCSing and had to put everything on hold to wait to find out if I was staying for second phase or not. Now I am in a mad dash to checkout then head out to my next command by mid September. It seems that it's hard to get a good read on what the FTS board is looking for. Yes there are precepts but it doesn't seem to really cover anything but the basics. It seems to boil down to what those board members of the convening year are wanting in potential selectees. With each near year it is always something different, one year it might be collateral duties where another year it might be volunteerism. Each year I have talked with multiple khakis at different ranks, many who stood on boards, and it's always been something different.

This year felt like year. Selected both 2016 SOY at my unit and my ISIC, received an EP, EXW Command Coordinator, prior FCPOA president/active CPO365, IDC and Medical Department Head, awarded a NAM for assisting in and processing 400 service members at ECRC. Service record is tight, completed all required courses like PPME/JPME, have an associate degree and will be completed with my bachelors next year. The chief mess and rest of the command thought for sure I was a shoe in this year but were floored that I did not get selected. Some of them were more pissed off than me..crazy.  My CMC was dumbfounded after seeing the "N" next to my name, didn't really say much afterwards except that a CDB will be held soon but not sure what to recommend to help next year. 

So I been running through my head on what else I can do. I thought double SOY would be highly regarded but it felt like this year it didn't mean anything for my case. It's funny when people list all these recommendations on what they feel will help out in getting selected but talking with prior selectees, a lot of them didn't have half of the accomplishments. Handful never did PPME/JPME or USMAPS or have big command collaterals or MOVSM. I know numerous FTS khakis who don't hold any NECs or have deployments or any warfare devices. I even been told in the past by a few master chiefs that I don't fit the typical FTS model because I never been to a NOSC or RCC and that might be a factor of not being selected yet...I think it is absurd but...you don't know what the board thinks. It's just feels like it's a matter on time and if your lucky. Not trying to sound disillusioned but it's a difficult after so many years working hard and feeling that all your accomplishments should be culminating to this year being the year...but being past again.

I support all those who get selected and hold no ill will against any of them and wish them the best of luck.  Just frustrated that we are never given any clue on why we didn't make the selection for that year. So here's to another year in the hopes of being selected. For those who didn't get selected, only words of advice I have comes an unexpected source. It might me silly but it's from a kids movie that I watch with my daughter recently and it seems to hold true. A little blue fish quoted, "When life gets you down, you know what you gotta do? Just keep swimming." 

Dang I thought I was reeling from the S but I know how you feel, it sucks and the bad thing is that you never get any real feedback.

Guest OSCinthemaking
18 hours ago, anavychick02 said:

Greetings All,

Hey what's going on I just made it as an OS. I would not accept being young in the rate. I made it at my 10 year mark. What i did have is SSP, Bachelors Degree, AAWC, CICWO, Piloting and Shipping Officer, MOVSM. I did not hold a position in the FCPOA mess which I was worried about but I still made it. Number one is SSP. Show what sailors accomplished under your supervision. If you need any help email me Dominique.burns@cvn72.navy.mil

Guest anavychick02
18 hours ago, anavychick02 said:

Greetings All,

Chief thanks I most definitely reach out to you! I agree bring young was horse poo but what can I do about it now you know? What I personally think it was that I do not have the "traditional" OS background and discrepancies in my record. I have SSP on my evals but being on limdu and having 3 of my evals in the last 5 years 1 of 1 tranfser hurt me as well.  I look forward to gaining some knowledge. 

Guest anavychick02
3 hours ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

One thing I can tell you is that there is no such thing as being too young in your rate!! I just witnessed 17 out of the 30 people in my rate (AS) make chief... So that tells you that, that was a lie!!!! I am in the same boat as you. 14 years in and I have pretty much everything you have except the DAPA and MOVSM. MOVSM cannot be a deciding factor in making chief , if it is then that is just ridiculous. I have done back to back sea duty, so I really don't have time to volunteer... I was really upset I didn't get the S this year and I really need to know what I am doing wrong... Contacted a board member but he has yet to answer my message

I agree about the being young in my rate but there is nothing I can do now. So besides that there is one thing I can fix is my discrepancies and study more my test score was low. I guess I was so hurt because I was told by so many Chiefs and Master Chiefs was to just make board and I had it bur once I finally did make board I wasn't selected, so I was like I'm not listening to anyone when they say oh just make board.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:33 AM, subguy10524 said:

Unfortunately, the SSP article is gone, it was a good one. I replaced it with the "Are you up for Chief?", thanks for the heads up. 

Guest Iam32

Does anyone one know how to get the SEJPME into NSIPS it was completed on JKO and I think it's not link to FLTMS so I included it my package since it didn't show up in NSIPS I'm just trying to fix my record for next year now. 

Guest Iam32
7 hours ago, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Question, how can someone with back to back P evals and a PRT failure make it but I cant. Had number 7 EP last cycle, got a MP my first eval at my new command, but when I left the Truman I had P, MP, MP. No PRT failures, all PPME courses completed, 2 US MAPS, Associates Degree, Airspeed Green Belt qualified, OOD qualified, and 365 involvement on my eval leading first classes.?? Any advice on what I can do??

PRT failure is just a distractor. I know a guy that had 2 P's in a row then MP then EP that got selected. I've seen one guy get selected that got a MP on his last eval. Push for next year that's all we can do. 

Guest HawkISback
21 hours ago, RjIDC8425 said:

It sounds like you have a strong resume, others have mentioned it before.  Sometimes it's not you it's the numbers game. Last year was painful for me to, but if I can impart one thing I learned, guard your optimism once it's board season, I know a lot of that idle chitchat around the command can get you hyped and set you up for more pain.  I honestly thought the board wasn't going to select me, I thought my IAs were hurting me because I did them instead of seaduty, keep lookin at what opportunities there are to do NEW things.  Spending time in FCPO will do nothing but help you in the future, I know that's prolly not what you want right now but keep fighting.  

Ok ladies and gents. Unfortunately I received the dreaded "N" as well. I honestly thought I had a pretty good shot of making it considering the amount of ISCs that were made. I "thought" my resume was strong enough to warrant a selection but I was wrong. 

We have roughly 3 months and some change to add to our evals and make them stronger that they are now. What are you guys doing to accomplish this goal? I am currently deployed but will be returning soon and will be on post deployment leave for 30 days. That isn't stopping me from getting some great bragsheet material done while I can. I am currently working on my Non-Resident Training Course (NRTC) Petty officer 1st class, Chief, and BMR. Maybe I should have completed them years ago but they should be good for the education wickets (Completed AA and BA already). And I am looking for more good-to-haves to add.

I finished last half of 2016 year as the departmental LPO (of 32), and am currently the 2nd platoon LPO (of 16). My eval was due to my Chief on the 21st of July but will continue to feed inputs as the deployment rolls on. I went through the progression of P, MP, EP and am hoping to have a ranked EP this next iteration. I will have LPO-12, AA/BA, MOVSM, SEJPME, PPME, BPME, and a COM for deployment award. Unfortunately, since I was deployed, I couldn't attend any CPO365 events but hopefully the board will understand.

I have also enrolled in the US Map program, although there isn't much for the IS rate. I think my goal for next year is to make SOY. That would be awesome. I know it wouldn't count for FY19 Chiefs board, but it would be a big accomplishment. 

What about you guys? I think we'd all love to hear your plans or if you have any gouge to help become more competitive. 

• Like 1

Guest WINGSofGOLD

So first post here.. been lurking for a while and didn't get the coveted S this year. Just got elected FCPOA Pres though! My question is for anyone who has been a FCPOA pres or worked with one that was effective. What did you find that worked the best to motivate your mess and is there any advise you can give me to be a more effective president? Thanks for any and all inputs!