FY-19 Medical Service Corps In-Service Procurement Program (MSC IPP) Discussion

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony

Guest NCNP2017
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, hobMSCIPP said:

How many applicants applies for HCA? Approximately. Thank you!

I heard there were over 200 this year.  That's a lot of competition!

Guest 31RatRod

This is my third year applying.  My first year I shot from the hip and did not get selected (as expected).  My second year, I took the entire year to craft my package with the aid of my mentor (LCDR, MSC) and he was extremely shocked when I was not selected.  This is the third year that I applied and I have added a bit to my skills and community involvement along with being accepted to Baylor and USUHS so that I could check the training option box this year. While I already have my MBA, it does not have a concentration in HCA, so I thought I might improve my chances by also being open to the training option. In previous years there were no training quotas, but I see that this year there are. 

I am a Marine and this year my Commanding Officer is a One-Star General, so I hope that this is a positive influence on the package. Last, I always received glowing appraisal interviews, but I believe I did not have sufficient "heavy-hitters". Previously, I had LCDR-CAPT, but they did not fall under that "heavy-hitter" department.  This year I was able to complete appraisal interviews with CDRs and a CAPT that were all either COs or DFAs. 

I offer up this information for two reasons. Number one, to document how I have been able to improve my package in hopes that it will help someone else.  Number two and most importantly...DON'T GIVE UP!  There is always a way to improve your position and I hope to be selected this year and meet some of you at ODS. If anyone has any information they can offer to help me out, I am totally open to it.  Good luck everyone!

Guest 31RatRod

This year I personally handed my package to Mrs. Kemp and we spoke a bit.  During that conversation, she told me that many applicants do not meet the minimum requirements for the program.  The 300 on the GRE is a minimum requirement and your package will not make it past the first level of screening if that minimum requirement is not met.

Guest smitty8404

Mrs. Kemp emailed and said my package was received but that's all the info I got. This is my first time applying for MSC IPP (IHO) so I'm not sure if that is standard.

Congrats to the ones who made it!!! Unfortunately, I will need to try next year. Can anyone who got selected for MSC IPP PA help me to improve my application for next year? Thank you.

Guest 31RatRod

Congrats to all of those selected (I am an alt. #3)!  I hope I am able to get picked up as an alternate, if not it will be another application this coming year.  I think I may enroll in a graduate certificate in healthcare administration to continue to improve my chances.

18 hours ago, 31RatRod said:

Congrats to all of those selected (I am an alt. #3)!  I hope I am able to get picked up as an alternate, if not it will be another application this coming year.  I think I may enroll in a graduate certificate in healthcare administration to continue to improve my chances.

Congrats @31RatRod Did you get selected for training or direct?