FY-19 Medical Service Corps In-Service Procurement Program (MSC IPP) Discussion

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony

Guest drew1871

It is part of the score report so I am sure it is looked at, however how much they pay attention to it considering there is nothing in writing about it would be a guess. What are you applying to HCA? I am sure that chosen program might increase or decrease the AWA weight too.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest IPPhopeful

I would like to apply this year. I started getting everything together but had to wait for message

Guest drew1871
1 hour ago, IPPhopeful said:

I would like to apply this year. I started getting everything together but had to wait for message

Which specialty are you planning to apply for?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest deepseadoctor

So I would like to start this post off by wishing all those are are and have been apply the best of luck. Other than that I'm 33 years old andĀ have been in the Navy now for almost 14 years serving in the diving community with my eye on the PA program. I have been slowly knocking out classes and was finally down to the last 5 (well 6 since the NAVADMIN stated that I'm required to take Medical Term.) and was going to be putting in at my 15-16 year mark. I'm an currently serving as an IDC and when I wroteĀ Ms. Kemp one of the program administrators about the Chemistry class requirement I was informed that IDC/IDT school no longer covers 36 (Table B + A&P I&II)Ā credits but only 24 (18 biology + A&P I&II) credits. She stated thatĀ the OPNAVINST 1420.1B was in the process of being updated and that was the new table. I would like to know if anyone knows more about the revision and if it was done because of failures due to specific shortcomings in the curriculumĀ of those that have been attending andĀ what classes I should be taking to ensure my success if I am in deed accepted from those that have taken the school or have information that is useful. The second question I have is will Title 10 play a role in my case of having 14 years already as I was planning on retiring around 25 years or longer if the Navy will have me?

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drew1871
On 9/3/2017 at 12:09 AM, deepseadoctor said:

So I would like to start this post off by wishing all those are are and have been apply the best of luck. Other than that I'm 33 years old andĀ have been in the Navy now for almost 14 years serving in the diving community with my eye on the PA program. I have been slowly knocking out classes and was finally down to the last 5 (well 6 since the NAVADMIN stated that I'm required to take Medical Term.) and was going to be putting in at my 15-16 year mark. I'm an currently serving as an IDC and when I wroteĀ Ms. Kemp one of the program administrators about the Chemistry class requirement I was informed that IDC/IDT school no longer covers 36 (Table B + A&P I&II)Ā credits but only 24 (18 biology + A&P I&II) credits. She stated thatĀ the OPNAVINST 1420.1B was in the process of being updated and that was the new table. I would like to know if anyone knows more about the revision and if it was done because of failures due to specific shortcomings in the curriculumĀ of those that have been attending andĀ what classes I should be taking to ensure my success if I am in deed accepted from those that have taken the school or have information that is useful. The second question I have is will Title 10 play a role in my case of having 14 years already as I was planning on retiring around 25 years or longer if the Navy will have me?

Ā 

Title 10 applies to everyone switching over. However with you stating you would be hitting ten years as an Officer you would meet the requirement and be eligible for the Officer retirement. The 1420 is indeed in revision, I did some googling and found a LDO brief presentation that said the C is in chop. Who knows when we will see it, but utilize TA and knock out all of those requirements that IDC no longer covers. Building my package was a long affair, I starting in January and was complete in July so it is never too early to begin getting things together, (e.g. Birth cert, college transcripts from schools you no longer attend, award copies if you plan on submitting them, etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest syaoran

This is just a repost from FY18 DA HCA thread.. but I just wanted to share my experience once I got selected in Feb 2017Ā now that I have gone through ODS Ā and finally stationed.Ā  In terms of the other HCAs who I met at ODS who were selected.. some were very clever and they were prior enlisted who applied for both IPP and DA which took up slots for both programs which I believe contributes to some alternates getting picked up later down the road and the alternate list moving up fast once the Navy figures these things out. The other interesting thing was how experienced a lot of the selectees were. I think out of all the HCAs I met only 1 had a bachelors and that person was a prior the rest all had Masters. Some were former Senior chiefs or Chiefs with lots of service ribbons which were very impressive. Another was a former Airforce guy that transferred into the Navy and another was a Navy Seal. When you talk to people you realize that the interviews, personal letters of recommendation from people who are well connected in the Navy aka CAPTs and CDRs seemed to hold a lot of weight in differentiating all the good applicants. So I would really focus on doing really well on those things or coming across very accomplished with lots of quality healthcare admin leadership experience on paper. You cant be like I was a Assistant secretary to the director who helped the director file paperwork. It needs to be like I was the Assistant secretary who researched and drafted the 65 page policy directive which was signed by Councilman XYZ for low-income people and I Co-chaired the townhall meetings on XYZ .Ā Ā Another thing I would say is that it is better to come in as a lower rank (ENS or LTJG) because you get time to make your self look good for the LTCDR Board Promotion which is the promotion everyone has trouble getting because it isnt guaranteed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drew1871
3 hours ago, Ourworld said:

Board is tomorrow good luck to all candidates to include myself

Good luck, which option did you apply for?

Guest BellieJar1507

Hello everyone,

Been following this forum for years now, so I finally got the courage to create a profile lol. I've been in the Navy 12.5 years now and just submitted my package for the first time (FY 18 HCA). The process was grueling, but luckily one of my good friends over the years made it off of the FY 17 MSC IPP selection for HCA. I'm going for direct with a Bachelor's in HCM from SIU, currently working on my MHA from VCU and MHI from University of Cincinnati. I was able to get three 0-6 interview appraisals, Medical LogisticsĀ Specialty Leader, one Assistant Specialty leader HCA, and an XO of a large hospital. For the LORs, Optometry Specialty leader, XO of FHCC Great Lakes, and another Asst Specialty leader in Optometry that is now assigned to BUMED. All Optometrist who IĀ worked under before, yes I'm a Navy Optician, hope I didn't write too much.Ā 

Guest drew1871

The selection board section in my continuity report in BOL no longer shows MSC, I assume the board has adjourned. Hopefully we can see the quotas shortly.

Guest BellieJar1507

The quota this year seems to be different.Ā 

For TrainingĀ 

6 Primary, 3 Alternates

DirectĀ 

15 Primary, 3 Alternates usual.

Anyone seen this before?

Guest hobMSCIPP

HCA Training applicants,

I'm planning to take the GRE. For those of you scored 300 or higher, please advise good study materials and time span preparing for the GRE. Planning to apply next year but I have to tackle the GRE? did anyone apply for training with below 300 score? Thanks in advance.

MSCIPPhob

Guest drew1871

Magoosh worked the best for me, I boosted my score by ten points four months after the first try. Attempt to take it twice. The first time I took it I felt overwhelmed despite preparing. The second time I prepared I was able to focus on the areas I was weak in. After your scores post there is a test review available online which tells you how you fared in within the subjects. Good luck.