FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

A huge congratulations to all of those who made SBE! Hopefully it's our year! 7th time is the charm...right? 

Question...I just took over Department LPO in January so it wasn't in my previous eval. With that said, should I mention that I am now Department LPO in my LTB or should I not??? <_<

Guest hammer

Congrats to everyone that made board this time up.  I have been creeping on this site for three years now and had to sign up!!  With that being said this is my third time up and just looking for some insight on records review.  After taking a look at my at my PSR part I on BOL I've notice that all of my warfare devices aren't on there is just 1 which isn't my primary warfare pin?  Last year I sent in my LTB with all NSIPS printouts for some reason which I've been working on for the past year personel hasn't submitted them in my OMPF?  I think my record is jacked up as far as documentation of training/qual etc.  I think I am a victim of the switch from paper records to electronic because there isn't a qual in my OMPF since 2005?  Does this look bad on my part if I send in all the info from NSIPS again if it doesn't make it into my OMPF?  Another thing was what does everyone think about a career summary sheet?  Thanks for the help and good luck to everybody!!!

Guest navyordie123
2 hours ago, hammer said:

Congrats to everyone that made board this time up.  I have been creeping on this site for three years now and had to sign up!!  With that being said this is my third time up and just looking for some insight on records review.  After taking a look at my at my PSR part I on BOL I've notice that all of my warfare devices aren't on there is just 1 which isn't my primary warfare pin?  Last year I sent in my LTB with all NSIPS printouts for some reason which I've been working on for the past year personel hasn't submitted them in my OMPF?  I think my record is jacked up as far as documentation of training/qual etc.  I think I am a victim of the switch from paper records to electronic because there isn't a qual in my OMPF since 2005?  Does this look bad on my part if I send in all the info from NSIPS again if it doesn't make it into my OMPF?  Another thing was what does everyone think about a career summary sheet?  Thanks for the help and good luck to everybody!!!

there is still time for you to submit everything to the appropriate people. get with your admin and see if they can submit in electronically. I was the same way and luckily I found everything on paper that was missing and submitted it and it was on my record before the board. good luck to you and I hope that you get it all straightened out. I know it can be a crazy time this year but you can get it done.

Guest TRON828

Went through the record and found 2 duplicates of FC 30's.. emailed NPC and they received and read email. Maybe tomorrow they will be removed. I do have a question.. Do you need a copy of all your warfare certificates in your OMPF. I've seen some people had them and some people didn't.  

Guest navyordie123
3 hours ago, @T1 Mo said:

Went through the record and found 2 duplicates of FC 30's.. emailed NPC and they received and read email. Maybe tomorrow they will be removed. I do have a question.. Do you need a copy of all your warfare certificates in your OMPF. I've seen some people had them and some people didn't.  

it wouldn't hurt to have it in there. every little bit might help you and it will let the board know that you are keeping your record up to date.

Anyone have an example of a letter of correction? When I left the ship they failed to include a letter of extension for my time between check out there and check-in at my current command.  I talked to another person at my last command and they did the same thing to her. Thanks for the help in advance!

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009
8 hours ago, @T1 Mo said:

By reading this, I went into my OMPF and I too have some duplicates of FC 30's and 34's. I'll get that fix ASAP. I'm glad my awards and evals are good, but would duplicates really hurt you when the board looks through your OMPF? Just curious.

Guest Yamzi-USN
22 hours ago, hammer said:

After taking a look at my at my PSR part I on BOL I've notice that all of my warfare devices aren't on there is just 1 which isn't my primary warfare pin?  Last year I sent in my LTB with all NSIPS printouts for some reason which I've been working on for the past year personel hasn't submitted them in my OMPF?

I have similar situation. I used to have AW on my PSR record but when I got my ESWS, it got change to SW and my AW was gone. Does PSR only show your recent warfare? Does this affect anything during selection process?

On 3/8/2017 at 11:20 PM, navyordie123 said:

Got my ticket!! lets get it done! Here's to the fifth time and hopefully the last! everything out of my hands now! Good Luck to everyone. IYAOYAS

Congrats.  I was the first one done with the test at my command, and I just picked the answer that sounded right to me instead of thinking over the question.  I actually cut a higher score this year.  7th and final board for me.  If I don't make it next year I ride off into the sunset with my head held high.  If I do make it, then next year I'll be a little skinnier, and in better shape then I am now.

Guest OSCinthemaking
On 3/9/2017 at 3:59 PM, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

A huge congratulations to all of those who made SBE! Hopefully it's our year! 7th time is the charm...right? 

Question...I just took over Department LPO in January so it wasn't in my previous eval. With that said, should I mention that I am now Department LPO in my LTB or should I not??? <_<

Get a designation letter written stating you are Dept LPO. 

Guest CryptoSquid

Well, first, congrats to all those that made board, I know for me the test seemed a bit harder than previous ones, that coupled with transferering in novemeber and not having an account until 3 days before the test, I was a little worried this year about making board. Luckily, I made it, 7 out of 7 now!  hopefully this year will be my year.

Ive talked to a LOT of senior leadership, many i know and many i dont, but have been sent to from other leadership, it seems the reoccuring cristisim has been not being in a big breakout group... my whole E-5 time i was 1 of 1, and a good portion of First Class i was 1 of 3... or 1 of 4... granted I did all the good things, but the down and dirty was that small a group, no one cares. however, finally, these last two years I was able to break out, taking 5 of 306 in 2015 and 3 of 352 in 2016. So hopefully this will be it... 

again, congrats to all those that made board, one step closer, and the long wait begins, make sure to review that record again and again, and have others as well, I know Ive looked time and time again and think im good, then I have others and there are little suggestions they have, so take them all in and decide what you think is best for your package and get er done!

Wish the best of luck to everyone, and those that didnt make board, it sucks, I know it does, but keep on pushing and make sure you crush that dang thing next year

Guest OldSalt

Congratulations to all those that made board this year! Now on to getting those records updated, and Letters to the Board written. The game is still far from over.

For those that did not. Hold your heads up. You now know where you need to focus more of your study time. Keep pushing, remember the exam is just one hurtle on the way to making Chief. What you do now can still effect your results when you do make board. Don't let up just because your ticket did not get punched this year.

By the way OneLastDance is still here with you. Just now as an OldSalt still trying to help out.;)

28 minutes ago, OldSalt said:

By the way OneLastDance is still here with you. Just now as an OldSalt still trying to help out.;)

Thank you BBb)

Guest navyordie123
6 hours ago, SUBLANT said:

Yes. It was the same last year as well. No more bullet style requirements, now just long paragraphs about being culturally and professionally diversified. I kind of like the new one though. Because.....reasons. Haha

Yeah I do too but a little vague on what they will be looking for but it just means that we all have to be more well rounded which is not a bad thing.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:49 AM, navyordie123 said:

it wouldn't hurt to have it in there. every little bit might help you and it will let the board know that you are keeping your record up to date.

I did the same as I had several duplicates and some blank pages as well and the worse one had me down as to having an unauthorized  absence when I opened it, it was a History of assignments ouch! Anyway on my LTB I annotated that the discrepancies were submitted to PERS and also printed the email with the date stamp as and enclosure to show that the discrepancies had actually been submitted.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

I would see if you can get an appointment ltr, and add that to your package, anything that can show that you have a break out from last year can't hurt

Guest SeaBeeDoc

Hi everyone, once again I have received the golden ticket, I have made some changes this year that will hopefully help me get that nod. I have a new command collateral, I have completed my SJPME, and I got my MTS Certification. I have also  have scrubbed and identified areas in my OMPF that need to be corrected. I also have other leadership roles in several committees that I am involved in as well as 365. Although I feel like I was proactive last year, I discovered a few areas where I could improve. As far as the distractors, I believe I have addressed the ones that I can correct on my end.

I have completed my package and have had several looks and received feedback, next week we are having a Chief's board rodeo with all the Master Chief's  to go over our packages  once I get everyone's feedback I will make adjustments as needed and plan to submit my package before the 29th as I will be out of pocket on convalescence leave in April. My package is due the first of May. I only have two items that might be the deciding factor as to whether I get selected, one is a 1of 1 MP which unfortunately will not drop off until next cycle and although my eval was good it really does not reflect a breakout  from lasts years eval. Regardless, I have drank the kool aide and have done all I can do so if it is meant to be it will be and if not I have no regrets because I know I have done my job well and will continue to do so.

Guest TRON828

Fellow first, FYI.. NKO has January 2017 CPO exam stats on how many people made board in Navy.. 31 for AT FTS... Woo! 

Guest HAZEGREY1775
On 2/26/2017 at 5:25 PM, GMFCC said:

SSP is subjective. Everyone on this forum will give you a slightly different answer.

As for acting in the capacity of the Chief, I would recommend you withhold that opinion until you put on anchors. However inept you believe your Chief to be, I have no doubts that he is there in the mess making things happen. Your eyes will open to the responsibility you don't have that you think you do after you are pinned.

Have you told your CoC that you feel that way? Have you pulled your Chief aside and thrown him the bone that people view him negatively? Not engaging in dragging him in the dirt isn't admirable if you're in the crowd watching others do it. I'm sure the people saying they want you as a Chief are right, you're probably a good dude and a great OS, but if you're going to be in this mess, I'd learn to help a shipmate out.

I hope you make it, but the biggest thing I've learned in this mess, is that if you aren't humble, you will be humiliated. If one Chief looks bad, we all look bad.

Yes- Subjective for sure, however, a good rule of thumb to gauge off of is comparing your ITA vs. the RSCA. Usually equates to you being above his/her overall average of all E6's written in the capacity of a reporting senior. You would typically find that the upper MP's fall above the RSCA.

Guest navyordie123

496 out of 822 are board eligible for AOC. that's 60.3%. Cant wait to see what those quotas look like. here is hoping for the best!