FY-18 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

1 hour ago, GMFCC said:

Yeah I think next Thursday will be it as well. I have duty today followed by the long weekend, so I should be able to stay occupied. Having a two year old definitely helps with that. Tuesday and Weds might drag a little though. Could be worse though! Hell, CPO board eligibility results are only a month out too which is exciting! First time not having to worry about being on that list lol!

Yeah I'm underway so most of the time I don't even know what day it is til chow lol.  Good luck to all!  GMFCC are you putting in for CWO or LDO.

Guest Young_Gunner
On 2/9/2017 at 11:56 PM, ORDIE718 said:

Good luck man I'm also applying for 636X 2nd time.

Good luck, hoping the results are out early next week.

2 hours ago, GMFCC said:

I'm applying for LDO, this is my last shot. Ill be going for warrant next year if I get the sadface again this year.

I applied for 616X last yr and 7161X this yr.  I'm an FCC AEGIS type.

Guest AEGISFC1
32 minutes ago, GMFCC said:

I'm conventional. I honestly have no idea what my chances are, it all feels like a crap shoot. I'd like to think I match up pretty close to either, but the precepts make me think I have a better chance at 618X. Even when I was a GM I didn't do too much with fleet sentencing, I was on a big deck. If I don't get it I'll just be repeating the process again next year for warrant. I'll get in that wardroom one way or the other! I read some of the packages on here, and I'd say that if all the packages are of that caliber I understand why so many good people get passed up.

With this wait I'm starting to over analyze my package.  I feel  a little bit of deja vu. I had my Record reviewed last year by 3 master Chiefs that sat the board and I was told I had an extremely good shot for Chief even though it was my first time up.  All the Chiefs were talking and teasing me and saying how they couldn't wait to "train" me.  I tried to keep a level head but I started getting excited.  When the results came out and I wasn't on the list it was awkward silence.  The LDOs at my Command are doing the same thing this year.  Since Chief results came out though I've done everything I could to bolster this package. I feel I should have put more emphasis about being an AEGIS FC and going out of my way to get duty guns on a small boy and not only get qual'd but he the primary one over the GMs; almost in heard of. I honestly don't care what one I get picked up for though. I think both will be exciting.  It would be interesting to see how, if I don't get picked up for 616X how they say well rank him for 618X. I would think that the rank you in both and if you are in the select in your primary, they take you out of your secondary ranking and move people up.  Come on next week!

Guest AEGISFC1
2 hours ago, Warrantmaybe said:

I applied for 616X last yr and 7161X this yr.  I'm an FCC AEGIS type.

In your opinion what do you think you were missing for 616x last year?

Guest gunna871

I just tried to look at the discrete requirements and match up to them. I'm a GM and I run all explosive safety programs. I performed as CSMMA  even got a NAM out of it . I am CSOOW, CSC , AAWC QUALED. I am a VLS tech by nature . I have ATTWO and I am AMMO ADMIN guy.  I don't really know my chances , just a Gunner hoping to get selected for 716X

6 hours ago, AEGISFC1 said:

In your opinion what do you think you were missing for 616x last year?

My CO endorsement wasn't strong.  I wasn't in the good ol' boy club.  Had a P CPO eval with an EP write up.  New Reporting Senior this year, #3 EP, strong endorsement, and I honestly didn't do anything differently.  Since I made Chief a few years back, I've really only got ASUWC qual'd and recently took over CS Dept LCPO and Acting CSMM (I don't have the NEC).  The DLCPO and CSMM did not make it in my package.  I was pretty tapped out as a PO1.  Qualified 3MA, DFPO, ATTWO, AAWC, FAAWC, and CSC,    My consolation if I don't get selected is that I still can submit for Senior Chief and I have orders to AAMDS DET Romania, so that helps soften the blow.

Guest gunna871

" stars or  bars " makes your wonder what are  they exactly looking for . Is it quals , evals , apprisals , education, CO ranking etc? I'm leaning towards Sustained Superior Performance. What's y'all thoughts ?

Guest AEGISFC1
45 minutes ago, gunna871 said:

" stars or  bars " makes your wonder what are  they exactly looking for . Is it quals , evals , apprisals , education, CO ranking etc? I'm leaning towards Sustained Superior Performance. What's y'all thoughts ?

I definitely believe it's SSP.  For Chief's board I was 8 of 66, 1 of 3 (frocked), 8 of 38(6 month check in,) 1 of 1 transfer, and 3 of 72 last ship eval.  This year I got 2 of 72.  I was told more likely then not it was that I was an early look 1st class and they knew they could select me the following year lol... we will see. I feel this is my best shot for LDO.  I'm established at my shore Command where I got the number 1 rankings and 2 captain LDO appraisals.  You can't get that overseas on a ship, let alone a small boy DDG (scheduled to transfer to Carney in Rita in June). That's right when interviews would be kicking up for next year, and I would just be numbers for their number 1 and 2 candidates. That's what happened this year.  A Chief and 2 first classes got here, and they were just added in to the end of rankings. They had weaker board members and everything.  We will see though!

Guest gunna871

I agree evals are extremely important. Must meet SSP.  Additionally, I think those appraisals say a lot also. Heck I guess it's safe to say all thing matter. I consistently hear do your PPME and JPME. My guess is do all you can , razzle dazzle in your rate and on paper look ready to step in and be commissioned today 

Definitely SSP for sure, but I think that's the one thing that's not really tangible.  I mean who decides what SSP?  All of the things listed plays into the overall concept of SSP.  I believe we will all be selected when it's our time and that everyone that has disclosed what they are bringing to the board has a strong case.  Here's to hoping we all get selected this time around.

Guest gunna871

Good point ,  well by definition being above your reporting senior cumulative average defines SSP.  Hopefully we all make it when the time comes 

Guest HooYahDeepSea
2 hours ago, gunna871 said:

Good point ,  well by definition being above your reporting senior cumulative average defines SSP.  Hopefully we all make it when the time comes 

I hope the board can look past the welcom aboard P of 6 months.

Guest AEGISFC1

My whole career, on my PSR I've always been above the summary group average as well as the reporting senior average.  Idk. We will see.  Can't do anything now!   Working on stuff for next year though just in case!

Guest HooYahDeepSea

Guest gunna871

@Gunz and Roses thanks for the shoutout. I have heard of a few guys who got selected for 616X who have never stepped foot on a boat. They were SPECWAR GM's . First time seeing a ship was when they showed up on a DDG as the STO. Hopefully the board understand and translates your LCS quals to CRUDES equivalent. 

Fingers crossed we can get 1 of the 13 quotes they have . 

@Gunz and Roses thanks for the shoutout. I have heard of a few guys who got selected for 616X who have never stepped foot on a boat. They were SPECWAR GM's . First time seeing a ship was when they showed up on a DDG as the STO. Hopefully the board understand and translates your LCS quals to CRUDES equivalent. 

Fingers crossed we can get 1 of the 13 quotes they have . 

I think that it's three of us 716X applicants on here, so 3 out 13 is possible! (trying to be highly optimistic)

4 hours ago, Gunz and Roses said:

Hey, if you don't pick up you'll be out there with Captain Craycraft, the most senior 6160 in the Navy. That'd be a nice cherry on top of a package. I got 10's from him last year, wasn't the magic bullet I was hoping it was.

Hopefully I won't need him, but we shall see.

Guest AEGISFC1
6 hours ago, Gunz and Roses said:

Hey, if you don't pick up you'll be out there with Captain Craycraft, the most senior 6160 in the Navy. That'd be a nice cherry on top of a package. I got 10's from him last year, wasn't the magic bullet I was hoping it was.

I thought Captain Vliet was the most senior 6160 in currently.  He was on my board this year.  2/12 overall for CWO/LDO and his number 1 LDO(of the past FIVE years...so he wrote lol).  We will see if he's got the magic bullet!

i would not want to be the board.  I wonder if they look at history.  XX number of AEGIS had successful tours and XX conventional or GMs had success.  It seems like that could play a role. Hopefully we will be answered in the next five days.  

Guest Airframer718
16 hours ago, HooYahDeepSea said:

The board knows the system and will not fault you for the P, as long as you got meat in there.

Guest gunna871

You guys got to pick who you got appraisals from ? My board was set up for me . My board consisted of 

CDR ops 

CWO5 ops 

CWO5 food service 

CWO4 ordnance 

Luckily I got all 10's from them and was 1 of 5 LDO/CWO. I was surprised because we had some heavy hitters at my command.  I definitely wrote my CO endorsement to the discrete requirements. I tried to capture my Aegis experience as a CSOOW AND CSC during SW/AW. How I am his top CSC how I train his JO's on AAWC and FAAWC. My knowledge on ammo sentencing , onload and off loads .  I wonder how much of the CO endorsement do they read or do they just look at your ranking.