FY-18 Medical Service Corps In-Service Procurement Program (MSC IPP) Discussion

Guest ruby416
1 hour ago, rabulanrr said:

@Diver Dan - did your friend already have his Masters or did the Navy pay for them to go to Army Baylor (as you stated they went to San Antonio).   I have my Masters already and applied through Direct Commission, so would I expect to go to ODS in July?  Does anyone know this answer?  Thanks in advance.

Have you got your result for direct commission already? Thanks 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony

Guest ruby416
1 hour ago, rabulanrr said:

@Diver Dan - did your friend already have his Masters or did the Navy pay for them to go to Army Baylor (as you stated they went to San Antonio).   I have my Masters already and applied through Direct Commission, so would I expect to go to ODS in July?  Does anyone know this answer?  Thanks in advance.

Sorry for keep asking about this question but I am so confused right now. I applied direct commission through officer recruiter and still waiting the news from him. I thought MSC-IPP and direct commission are different programs, did you apply direct commission only and your name was on the list of the NAVADAM for MSC-IPP or you applied for both programs. I really appreciate your time for this matter.

Hello everyone! I am a third class and would like to know if anyone knows how to go about the so called E4 waiver mentioned in the instruction to apply? Does anyone know how to go about this?  I really want to put in a packet, its the career I want to pursue. I am not expecting to pick up this first try but for sure to gain experience in putting a packet together for this program.

Guest rabulanrr

@ruby416 - When I said "applied through Direct Commission," I meant I applied through MSC-IPP HCA Direct, as I already had my MBA degree.  So, I don't need to go to San Antonio (Baylor) or USUHS to get my degree, which Diver Dan said that his friend had to go to San Antonio and waited til July.  My question is, would I have to wait til July to get commissioned, as I already have my Masters.  Shouldn't I be commissioned sooner?

@ruby416, I did, however, submit through a Recruiter also for Direct Commission, but have not heard any results from them.

So, Yes, I applied for Direct Commission with a Recruiter and the Active Duty program, MSC-IPP HCA Direct.  I was selected with MSC-IPP HCA Direct.  Hope this makes sense.

Guest rabulanrr

@lax, I'm sure you have done your homework, but I just want to make sure.  I am assuming you're applying for the MSC-IPP PA program correct?  I believe E4 waivers only pertain to that program; all others have to be an E5 and above.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Guest ruby416

@rabulanrr, thank you for the reply and congrats on your selection. I asked this question in the old post, some of us applied both programs and how do the 2boards talk to each other to avoid double selection. For example I am sure you are an outstanding applicant and what if you get select for direct commission? Do you have to decline one of them then? 

8 hours ago, rabulanrr said:

@lax, I'm sure you have done your homework, but I just want to make sure.  I am assuming you're applying for the MSC-IPP PA program correct?  I believe E4 waivers only pertain to that program; all others have to be an E5 and above.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes! Sorry for not specifying. That is the program I am applying for.

Guest SmokeyDoc
On Saturday, January 09, 2016 at 6:50 PM, lax said:

Yes! Sorry for not specifying. That is the program I am applying for.

I was just selected for the Physician Assistant Program.  I would recommend you get in touch with Ms. Kemp, she was very helpful for me and will know everything you need to do to get a waiver.  Additionally, don't discredit yourself because of your rank.  If you have sustained superior performance (Good Evals), a strong GPA, and good test scores you should be alright.  Starting this early for your package will actually make it very easy for you.  I spent about a year building my package and I never felt rushed.  My package was actually completed by June/July time frame.  Just for a reference point, below are my general stats:

Evals - EP, EP, EP, EP, MP (Promotion)

SAT - 2000 with a Math and Science of 1300

GPA - Overall 3.92, Science courses 4.0

I hope this helps and best of luck to you.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:25 PM, SmokeyDoc said:

I was just selected for the Physician Assistant Program.  I would recommend you get in touch with Ms. Kemp, she was very helpful for me and will know everything you need to do to get a waiver.  Additionally, don't discredit yourself because of your rank.  If you have sustained superior performance (Good Evals), a strong GPA, and good test scores you should be alright.  Starting this early for your package will actually make it very easy for you.  I spent about a year building my package and I never felt rushed.  My package was actually completed by June/July time frame.  Just for a reference point, below are my general stats:

Evals - EP, EP, EP, EP, MP (Promotion)

SAT - 2000 with a Math and Science of 1300

GPA - Overall 3.92, Science courses 4.0

I hope this helps and best of luck to you.

That is awesome, no wonder you got picked up! What kind of questions did your board ask?

Guest SmokeyDoc
On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 3:03 AM, lax said:

That is awesome, no wonder you got picked up! What kind of questions did your board ask?

Thank you and the boards asked me the iconic questions, "Why do you want to be a PA?" "What makes you the best candidate?" etc..... The one question that really caught me off guard was, "Why do I want to be an MSC Officer?"  I had never really thought of it that way.  I had always looked at it as I was applying to be PA, but truly you are applying to be a MSC that specializes as a PA.  So I would get to know the MSC community very intimately before you go to your boards (i.e. 3 categories of jobs, 31 specialties, community goals, etc).  I hope this helps.

20 hours ago, IDC said:

Smokeydoc, have you heard anything from Ms.Kemp?? have you already reenlist for 6 yrs?

I have not heard much.  Like the other people who had posted I sent her the requested information and she told me thank you and enjoy the excitement she would email me with more information later.  As for the reenlistment I am currently routing my paperwork so I can have it taken care of as early as possible.  I want the transition time to be very smooth and as stress free as possible.  Were you selected for PA?

2 hours ago, SmokeyDoc said:

Thank you and the boards asked me the iconic questions, "Why do you want to be a PA?" "What makes you the best candidate?" etc..... The one question that really caught me off guard was, "Why do I want to be an MSC Officer?"  I had never really thought of it that way.  I had always looked at it as I was applying to be PA, but truly you are applying to be a MSC that specializes as a PA.  So I would get to know the MSC community very intimately before you go to your boards (i.e. 3 categories of jobs, 31 specialties, community goals, etc).  I hope this helps.

I have not heard much.  Like the other people who had posted I sent her the requested information and she told me thank you and enjoy the excitement she would email me with more information later.  As for the reenlistment I am currently routing my paperwork so I can have it taken care of as early as possible.  I want the transition time to be very smooth and as stress free as possible.  Were you selected for PA?

yes I was selected also. keep in touch! :)

Hello, Do any of you know more information about the HCA - Information Systems Manager option (ISM)? I am a ET on shore duty and just completed my associates in Network Security. I would like to apply for this commissioning program in the networking path I am already in, but I am having a hard time finding the ISM community. Any information would help.. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dbrandt

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has applied for the social worker option? This will be my first time applying so I'm just getting as much information together as possible. I figured I would start early. Also any good advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Dani 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HCA2015

Haven't seen any traffic here in a while.  I started my last year, but was not able to process in time to meet the boards.  Luckily my current OR has helped me submit and finally received word.  Not the "final select" that I was hoping for, but got a PRO YES, Alternate.  Upon reviewing other forums, there seems to be a glimmer of hope of earning a commission according to the posts from fy14 & 15.  Has anybody else got word of their kits? 

Guest HCA2015

"Anyone heard their result from direct commission? Is ou already and total of 8 for this FY. "

Ruby416,

My last update was that I was listed as PRO YES, Alternate.  My OR contacted the PM to get some clarification or any expectation I may have with the "alternate" status and I have yet to get any updates.  What is "ou"?  And do you mean that they have filled 8 slots for this FY? 

Guest ruby416
19 hours ago, HCA2015 said:

Ruby416,

My last update was that I was listed as PRO YES, Alternate.  My OR contacted the PM to get some clarification or any expectation I may have with the "alternate" status and I have yet to get any updates.  What is "ou"?  And do you mean that they have filled 8 slots for this FY? 

Yes they have already selected the 8 slots for the year. My status is alternate is well. 

Guest ruby416
19 hours ago, HCA2015 said:

Ruby416,

I'm sorry the ou suppose to be out.... Typo...

Guest HCA2015

Ruby,

Thanks for the clarification.  I was initially told there would be 10 slots, but I guess not.  My OR just left me a message saying the same thing, and advised that alternates will be considered if candidates were to somehow weren't able to fulfill theyre commissions this fy for any reason.  Anyhow, hopefully ( and its a big hope, I know) they can just place us alternates on the the final select list for next FY.  Good luck to you!!!

Guest ruby416
On January 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Zinger15 said:

Congrats to all the Selects from the FY17 MSC IPP board, knowing the caliber of Sailors selected and how competitive the program is, outstanding job to all of you! BZ

For the rest of us that were not selected this year, or for people applying for the first time, it's never too soon to start working on our packages for FY18's board.  That was my first time applying for MSC IPP (HCA), so I will be applying for the second time this year, and will also be applying for HSCP and Direct Accession, so I look forward to hearing input from individuals who have applied multiple times, and to multiple commissioning routes for MSC.

Best of luck to all of us this upcoming year!  

I am not sure if you already have a master degree and still be able to apply for HSCP...

• 1 month later...
Guest JEC89
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:27 AM, rabulanrr said:

@ruby416 - When I said "applied through Direct Commission," I meant I applied through MSC-IPP HCA Direct, as I already had my MBA degree.  So, I don't need to go to San Antonio (Baylor) or USUHS to get my degree, which Diver Dan said that his friend had to go to San Antonio and waited til July.  My question is, would I have to wait til July to get commissioned, as I already have my Masters.  Shouldn't I be commissioned sooner?

@ruby416, I did, however, submit through a Recruiter also for Direct Commission, but have not heard any results from them.

So, Yes, I applied for Direct Commission with a Recruiter and the Active Duty program, MSC-IPP HCA Direct.  I was selected with MSC-IPP HCA Direct.  Hope this makes sense.

I have been researching the HCA program and would like to pursue a MBA degree in hopes of a direct commision, what (Navy approved/ accredited) schools would you recommend?