FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest HooYahDeepSea
On February 22, 2016 at 9:40 AM, itdominance said:

my last eval:

My #1 First Class and SOY FY 2016

GIFTED LEADER - Led 11 Sailors and civilians to 3 advancements, 2 qualified as instructors, 1 Master's Degree, and 3 awards.  Directed security and vulnerability patching, 7 DISA STIGS, 211 trouble ticket completions for four networks and 1,348 users correcting resulting in a 99.6% network uptime. Researched, designed, and implemented a magnetic media destruction process that eliminated 2,173 hard drives, 4,305 magnetic media storage devices and saved the Command $93,000.00.
MENTOR - As Command DAPA headed a base-wide alcohol deglamorization program for 50 sailors and had 0 related incidences. As CFL, for three commands and reserve personnel conducted 87 PFA's with 0 failures. President of the newly formed FCPOA he established policies, organized officer elections, led 24 meetings, and facilitated 9 CPO 365 leadership training sessions for 6 FCPO's guiding them with the knowledge to be successful CPO's.  
COMMAND FOCUS - Active member of the ASF conducted 192 hours in support of ATFP posture in the region. Responded to 19 security alerts, 15 RAM vehicle inspections, 6 security training drills, and 24 vehicle patrols of a 108 square mile area.
AMBASSADOR - As  High School Cross Country Coach dedicated 125 hours to leading, mentoring and coordinating 15 athletes through 48 practices, and 8 Cross Country meets.
                            ***Ready in all aspects of a CPO.***

How many po1s were you ranked against with? 

Guest hayes

What do you guys think of the new precept? The entire paragraph about the "best and fully qualified selection standard" is not there anymore. Not to say it doesn't apply because it most certainly does - I just think it's interesting that they took it out.

Guest USNAO1AWSW
10 hours ago, hayes said:

What do you guys think of the new precept? The entire paragraph about the "best and fully qualified selection standard" is not there anymore. Not to say it doesn't apply because it most certainly does - I just think it's interesting that they took it out.

I'm a little confused by the new precept. It really doesn't tell you much like previous ones. I'm sure it SSP is still the number one factor however this new precept went in a totally different direction.

Guest navyordie123

It really doesn't matter which one you take weither it be an NOB or P, cause like it was said before the board is going to see that you just got to the command. it gives you plenty of room to show progression. Now if you get a P this time and get one next cycle if you don't pick up this year then yes it will look bad.

Guest navyordie123

I think that the board is going to be looking for the same things as in previous years. the precept is different but I think the mentality of the board members aren't going to change that much. My best guess is that they just decided to leave it a little more open and give it a different look with the every changing Navy and the different types of leaders that have come up through the ranks

Guest Vietlai

I have one of those unorthodox careers.  I haven't submitted a career path with my LTB simply because all the documents were in my OMPF.  After the past few N's been wondering if I shouldn't rethink that decision.  My LTB this year (assuming SBE) will be a bit more detailed.  I'm prior Army and my break in service shifted my ADSD from July to Sep.  Other than that there isn't really much to say, I've had training and sea duty and am currently on my instructor tour.  Any thoughts if this is a good idea to add info for the board?

Guest navyordie123

I don't think that it's a bad idea to submit more info to them but just be careful that it's already not in your record. Also, make sure your record is up to date now cause I have been told in the past that less is more and that if you send in a lot it just means to the board members that you aren't keeping up with your record.

Guest Blondie

Does anyone know about when we can start looking for our profile sheets?  I only remember that they come out sometime in March...

Guest USNAO1AWSW
1 hour ago, Blondie said:

Does anyone know about when we can start looking for our profile sheets?  I only remember that they come out sometime in March...

I saw last year they came out March 6th. I'm assuming anyday now.

Guest Art Vandelay

I checked my profile sheet for last year, and it was dated for March 5th. I don't know if it means anything because of the date on the profile sheet, but FWIW I did get my SBE status prior to ever seeing my profile sheet.

Guest AMC1242

If you read the convening order for the board it will tell you more about what they are looking for. If you want an idea take a look at the convening order of the fts e8 and e9 board. There isn't a whole lot in the precept any more.

5 minutes ago, AMC1242 said:

If you read the convening order for the board it will tell you more about what they are looking for. If you want an idea take a look at the convening order of the fts e8 and e9 board. There isn't a whole lot in the precept any more.

This page? -> http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyenlisted/Pages/CPOSelectionBoards.aspx

Guest AMC1242

Obviously it will be different in variations for the Chiefs board and other boards but it is some insight as to how navy leadership is leaning. As always lean on your Chiefs mess and CMC's for board training 

Guest AMC1242

To me it looks like they have moved the info from the precept to the convening order this year. The link I submitted is for the fts board that is going on right now. The chief convening order won't be out until the board starts. 

5 hours ago, AMC1242 said:

I really don't think that is the case. The Convening order discusses the date and location of the meeting (convene) and selection standards.

The Precepts provide the function and general guidance for selecting candidates to the rank of CPO. It includes leadership, area tours, history of assignments, review of records and adverse information among other things. This is a must read for anyone who is going up for Chief.

The link you provided is for SCPO and MCPO but I used the CPO information instead because the topic of this discussion is "FY 17 Chief Selection Board".

Guest AMC1242

I agree that the Cpo board will be different.  all I'm saying is with everyone saying the precept is so vague and they don't know what the board is looking for, it looks like it's right there in the convening order which will not get released until the board starts. It talks about everything now just look at the link I submitted for the board going on right now. The convening order never had that info in it before it just talked about when and where the board would be like you said. So my thought is they put in there because every board is looking at different stuff. And every convening order is special to that particular board. But either way there is good stuff in there but mostly the same stuff that has been preached through the years.

Guest Blondie

So in this year's precept, it says this:

"An air gap on evaluations is when a reporting senior had the opportunity to grant a higher promotion recommendation, but chose not to."

But it doesn't say anything more than that...  what are these "air gaps" for?

Guest Art Vandelay

I am nervous. I don't know why, I studied, hard, and I even got a EP going in, but I can't shake the nervousness of the SBE results, and it has consumed my thoughts, even whilst going through the first conus shore CART inspection. I need a distraction from the worrying...:blush:

Guest Art Vandelay
12 minutes ago, etfc1121 said:

If your PMA is 4.0 from an EP you will be SBE as long as you didn't fail the exam.

It isn't, it is 3.87 I believe. It doesn't sound like much , especially next to 3.9s or 4.0s, but it was my first EP, ranked number two. I've made board with less, but I just want a piece of mind at this point

Guest SandcrabCTT

Afternoon all!  Well here we are once again!  The time ole' adage of taking the exam and seeing who is board eligible. I hope all did well this past January (AC) and February (RC) on the exam, good luck hope to be one of those board eligible folks!  :)