FY17 Chief Selection Board

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amcreed

I just want to start out by saying I was up for Chief 4 times before I got the "H". I was pretty unfamiliar with the advancement being on hold ordeal, but now since I've been through it, I will gladly pass on, or walk anyone through it. I was able to get my advancement released and will be getting pinned on the 16th. I have been apart of this forum for years now and want to continue to help out where I can. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming exam!

I will be reporting to my new command in about a month and since evals are basically due when I get there would it be better for me to receive a NOB or an actual ranked eval? I have heard that I would be best to just receive a ranked eval this way I can show progress but I don't want it to completely squash any chance I have of advancing this time up. In my entire navy career I've always been a top MP or a top EP coming off my last 2 cycles and understanding with only a few weeks at a new command I will receive a promotable. So any advice will be appreciated so I know when I end up turning in my eval write up.

On the board a promotable is better than a NOB.  Promotable is worth some points and a NOB is worth zero.

I've done the basic and primary PMEs as well as the SNCO & SEJPME, what is the correct way to have those added to my training education and qualifications? Right now the basic, primary and SNCO PMEs are mixed in with all my other NKOs. Is that the correct spot or should in the navy schools/military training courses?

Guest AWFChief
I challenge all those CPO Selects, dont be shy.  Sure, over the next six weeks you will be busy as all hell but COME BACK when youre done, pay it forward and help out your shipmates AND CONTINUE TO TRAIN YOUR RELIEFS AS NEW CPO's.

I made it this year after 7 tries.  Don't give up and keep taking care of your Sailors!  I hope everyone is studying and I wish you luck on the upcoming exam!!

• 5 weeks later...

Did not get the S.  Congrats to all those who got it.  Was wondering if any of the selectees are willing to share their eval write-ups with me.

shoot me an email dustenabell@gmail.com

I'll shoot you my write ups for the last 5 years.

Wish everyone best of luck this cycle work hard build those records up and keep charging and your time will come.   Been here for a few years as

"NAVYAO1"   finally made it this last cycle.  Willing to help any way I can.   

I'll give everyone the same advice I gave my First Classes when they asked how I made it so fast. IF YOU WANT TO BE A CHIEF START ACTING LIKE A CHIEF. I said it in the FY16 forum and I will say it again here. While things like JPME, PPME, SOY, SOQ, etc. are good "that-a-boys", they don't prove that you are a good leader. I caught a lot of flak last year when I said "at the end of the day PPME and JPME are nothing but a glorified NKO". I am in no way saying they aren't important, all I am saying is change up your mindset. Every MCPO/CMC/Board Member out there knows the answers to the PPME are flying around each command. In my opinion if you are submitting a LTB with PPME/JPME/BPME/etc. but your strongest eval bullet is you were a "really good operator/technician/cook/etc." you need to rethink your strategy because there is still time. The Navy needs Chief's that are proven leaders on the deckplates promoting sailorization, not E7's who can click through an NKO course and send out taskers through emails. As stated SSP is the PRIMARY means of selection. Some think it is primarily about the EP, but I am certain there are a few of my fellow Chiefs who were "promotable" sailors, but took care of their people and had very strong eval write-ups. I do not, in any way shape or form, mean this to be negative so please do not take it that way. I am really not trying to be arrogant or "holier-than-thou", I just want to see those that are taking every measure possible get that "S" in a little less than a year.

-OSC

I thought I posted this, but didn't. 

I could not agree more.  I have none of the PPME/JPME done.  What I have is year after year of evals stating I take care of m sailors, I acted in the capacity of a chief and that I was ready to be one.  And FWIW I made chief just 4 years after an NJP.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped by real quick to say hi to everyone. This thread always is dead until after January. If you guys/gals need any help with anything just let me know.

• 1 month later...
Guest FCC_Thawk

Well, test time is fast approaching....  Hope everyone out there has been hitting the books.  9th time up for me, after this year I have two more looks.  I ended up with the #2 of 74 eval this year and Instructor of the year...  Hopefully my number is finally called.  Best of luck to everyone taking the test in a couple of weeks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well after walking out of the test I feel that I need to start studying for next January.  This is my 7th time up, and next year is my last chance since in 2018 I retire around the same time the board convenes.

Guest HMC(FMF/SW/AW/IW)
6 hours ago, Blondie said:

All right, here we go again folks!  I took my advancement exam last week and I am feeling good.  How did everyone else's go?

I felt great right after the examination and can't wait to see the results. I managed to remember 145 questions from the HMC exam I took and this past weekend I went over those questions and verified. I am excited because 90% I put were correct. Good luck to all of my fellow First Classes out there!!!

Guest EffSeeUno
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:45 AM, sean said:

if i am missing an EVAL from march 16 2010 thru sep 26 2010 on my BUPERS report but its over 5 years old, will it be a problem for me on this upcoming board?

As already stated this is a major red flag. Your record is your responsibility. And if this hasn't been corrected in 6 years, what impression are you making to the board? This is a lesson to everyone, STAY ON TOP OF ADMIN. I had an eval discrepancy. Notified my YNC and cc'd my entire CoC. Got  the problem fixed before the board. Same goes for awards. If you got a NCM in 2008 that's still not in your OMPF, you end up looking like you don't care, so why should they.

Guest AWFChief
On 1/26/2016 at 4:34 PM, Blondie said:

All right, here we go again folks!  I took my advancement exam last week and I am feeling good.  How did everyone else's go?

Good to hear!  Hopefully this is your year.

As a reminder, 59 accounts were accidentally deleted, the majority from this group. This was an unintentional deletion due to ongoing issues with the latest forum software version. If you were deleted and still are interested in this group, you can register an account.  

:sembarrassed_100-115:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blondie
On 2/4/2016 at 7:22 PM, NavyNews said:

As a reminder, 59 accounts were accidentally deleted, the majority from this group. This was an unintentional deletion due to ongoing issues with the latest forum software version. If you were deleted and still are interested in this group, you can register an account.  

:sembarrassed_100-115:

Glad I made the cut!

3 hours ago, Blondie said:

Glad I made the cut!

This whole situation has driven me insane... well almost at least. There are others who are upset at this company too. :128_34:

It's the famous ver 4.0 fiasco :bigemo_harabe_net-32:

But yes you deserve it! :5308:

Guest Blondie
On 2/15/2016 at 5:58 PM, NavyNews said:

This whole situation has driven me insane... well almost at least. There are others who are upset at this company too. :128_34:

It sounds like you guys should band together, into some sort of class... where you can take action...

:128_1:

31 minutes ago, Blondie said:

It sounds like you guys should band together, into some sort of class... where you can take action...

:128_1:

They are so diverse (international) and wishy washy I can't see it happening. And as soon as the company says they were implementing this and that change to improve things, half of them forget the seriousness of the situation and start kissing the companies butt. 

:15_128:

It makes me wanna' puke... 

:5583:

Guest itdominance

told myself I wouldn't be back but here I am! Last go round but I really doesn't matter, go on terminal September 10th! already to many good job offers to pass up and start on my PHD program in August. I like the sound of Dr. better than Chief!

Guest itdominance
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 0:29 AM, IT_uno said:

First off, congrats to those who were selected today. Saw a lot of "S" on here so well done!!!!

Sadly, looking like an N this time around. 

Please dispel this if I am wrong, but I have heard from several people that an IT going to an aircraft squadron essentially rules out making Chief. Maybe it is not viewed as difficult duty because NMCI manages the network, but I beg to differ as our division averages 10-12 hours a day working handling AIS and EKMS issues for the command with limited manpower. Honestly, dont know, and since we do not get the official reason as to why we are not selected from the board, I will never know. My goal was (and STILL is) to prove to my guys that working hard, taking on the extra duties, going to school, can pay off, no matter what platform you are at.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably what my problem has been!

Guest itdominance

my last eval:

My #1 First Class and SOY FY 2016

GIFTED LEADER - Led 11 Sailors and civilians to 3 advancements, 2 qualified as instructors, 1 Master's Degree, and 3 awards.  Directed security and vulnerability patching, 7 DISA STIGS, 211 trouble ticket completions for four networks and 1,348 users correcting resulting in a 99.6% network uptime. Researched, designed, and implemented a magnetic media destruction process that eliminated 2,173 hard drives, 4,305 magnetic media storage devices and saved the Command $93,000.00.
MENTOR - As Command DAPA headed a base-wide alcohol deglamorization program for 50 sailors and had 0 related incidences. As CFL, for three commands and reserve personnel conducted 87 PFA's with 0 failures. President of the newly formed FCPOA he established policies, organized officer elections, led 24 meetings, and facilitated 9 CPO 365 leadership training sessions for 6 FCPO's guiding them with the knowledge to be successful CPO's.  
COMMAND FOCUS - Active member of the ASF conducted 192 hours in support of ATFP posture in the region. Responded to 19 security alerts, 15 RAM vehicle inspections, 6 security training drills, and 24 vehicle patrols of a 108 square mile area.
AMBASSADOR - As  High School Cross Country Coach dedicated 125 hours to leading, mentoring and coordinating 15 athletes through 48 practices, and 8 Cross Country meets.
                            ***Ready in all aspects of a CPO.***

Guest itdominance
16 hours ago, etfc1121 said:

With an eval like that, if you are really going to get out, you are going to be taking someone's quota.

I'm not saying you should stay in or not, that's your call.  BUT if you are not, you need to pull your eligibility.  We had a guy get selected last year and give back the quota.  It just takes the promotion from someone that wants it.

Now if getting selected is the difference between staying or going that's great.  Why would you even take the test if you know you are getting out?

last year's eval was just as good, I was SOY, got a COM, still not selected. Ugg!.