FY-17 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

Guest Suppa

Asking for some admin help on this one folks, does anyone have an MS Word template for printing enclosures (Enclosure (1) SSN etc) on to each of your package submissions? Also, this is the first time applying while doing all of the package prep (yes I was lucky and my last command took care of the whole process) What is the guidance on the "labeled brown folder?" Is this something that I could find at a local admin office? Our NCC is on leave and I'll definitely contact him as soon as he gets back in the office. Just hoped someone had some good gouge on the package prep process.

Thanks,

CTTC with 11yr 8mo in applying for the third time for LDO.

Chief you should be able to use text box on pdf to do the enclosure at the bottom of the page. Are you can get the old reliable type writer lol.

Guest HawaiiGM

For everybody's information the first question that was asked to me at every one of my interviews is: why do you want to be an officer?" Make sure you pick your words wisely.

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

Does PPME a good thing to send in as an enclosure for LDO?

Opinion = No

1. You are trying to become an Officer... should have the Officer PME complete.

2. There is a place to list all your courses.

Hey all hope the search for the common goal is going well...

I would like to ask if anyone here would have good materials that they saved to help with finishing the "O" PPME?

It would be greatly appreciated...

Seriously???

Hey all hope the search for the common goal is going well...

I would like to ask if anyone here would have good materials that they saved to help with finishing the "O" PPME?

It would be greatly appreciated...

You came to the wrong place to be doing that kind of stuff... 

Guest Seabee

Opinion = No

1. You are trying to become an Officer... should have the Officer PME complete.

2. There is a place to list all your courses.

Chief, are you listing the OPME in Block 25 or 26? Last year, I left Block 25 blank due to SMART Transcripts not being required and not having a "C" school. Looking back, there was a bunch of information that I could have listed in regard to training, quals, and schools/classes that I've attended. I only listed non-resident training courses in Block 26. What's your insight on these two blocks if you don't mind sharing?

Also, thanks for getting the forum kicked off this year.

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

Chief, are you listing the OPME in Block 25 or 26? Last year, I left Block 25 blank due to SMART Transcripts not being required and not having a "C" school.

All PME should go in block 26. Use a continuation page and list everything.

As far as block 25, do not leave it blank. If the only Navy school you have ever attended is your "A" school - then put it in there.

Additionally (feedback I received) - leave no empty spots on block 27 or 28.

Do not limit yourself on a time period, for example - I was only listed 3 extracurricular activities that I was currently involved in... don't do that... fill up the space with significant activities of the past as well.

Guest Seabee

All PME should go in block 26. Use a continuation page and list everything.

As far as block 25, do not leave it blank. If the only Navy school you have ever attended is your "A" school - then put it in there.

Additionally (feedback I received) - leave no empty spots on block 27 or 28.

Do not limit yourself on a time period, for example - I was only listed 3 extracurricular activities that I was currently involved in... don't do that... fill up the space with significant activities of the past as well.

Great information Chief, Blocks 25 and 26 will give me an opportunity to list some of the things that I didn't think could go in those blocks last year. Thanks for the advice.

Guest CajunMA

I have a silly question.   it looks as if this board is for the ACTIVE component LDO/CWO program.

Do SELRES follow the same quotas, instruction NAVADMIN?  I know in the past that LDO/CWO used a separate one for SELRES.

Thanks!

Guest Boats1984

Looking at the timeline in the recent navadmin it states that a copy of your package (no enclosures yet im thinking)needs to be sent electronically to a LT Hutton? No email address was in the navadmin, anyone else see this and or can help me out. Thanks , BM1 applying for first time

Guest james.caliva

I have the opportunity to get a Letter of Recommendation from an Admiral.

How are Letters of Recommendations viewed by the board?  I keep receiving mixed reviews.

Some say it is extremely helpful, while others state it wastes the boards time so don't add it in.

Was looking for any feedback/advice.

Thank you in advance!

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

I have the opportunity to get a Letter of Recommendation from an Admiral.

How are Letters of Recommendations viewed by the board?

The advice I received in the past for an LDO who has sat multiple boards:

1. If using a LOR it should be signed by someone higher ranking than the officer who is endorsing your LDO/CWO package.

2. The LOR should be heart felt and not just some text book blurb. Written in a manner that indicates they have actually witnessed your work or work ethic and not just some Admiral behind a desk that is going to put his Herbie Handcock on the paper.

Guest james.caliva

The advice I received in the past for an LDO who has sat multiple boards:

1. If using a LOR it should be signed by someone higher ranking than the officer who is endorsing your LDO/CWO package.

2. The LOR should be heart felt and not just some text book blurb. Written in a manner that indicates they have actually witnessed your work or work ethic and not just some Admiral behind a desk that is going to put his Herbie Handcock on the paper.

How about retired admirals?

One of the admirals that I was hands on with is now retired, he retired a one star.  My CO is a Commander so he technically would be 'higher' rank, but would me contacting a retired admiral over one that is still servicing be a good idea?

Guest GSM1_613X

Good afternoon all, this is my first post after just finding this forum.  I am GSM1 Mitchell out of SERMC Mayport.  I commission in May of next year for 613X.  Everybody in here brings good points to the table.  From what I can share with what I saw and how things went with me and a few of my buddies who were also selected within the past few years is this.  Your write-ups are the biggest part next to your interviews.  You really need to explain yourself in these.  They need to follow the guidelines that are laid out.  A well thought out and planned write up will shine.  On that same note, your interviews are also vital.  You want to be 10's across the board and within the top 2 rankings of your command.  You can see the points that they are grading on, ensure that you are meeting and exceeding all of those.   The instructions are there, its all about how well you follow them, don't expect somebody that is reviewing your package to know all of them, they might miss something simple, but if you spent the time doing the review first then you are good to go.  Utilize all of the CWO/LDO around you at your command and other commands.  There can never be to many eyes on your package before your final submission.  If anyone would like to send me a email with questions or concerns feel free to do so.  If you are in the area even better.  Thanks everybody for your time and best of luck.  I will answer any and all questions that anyone may have to the best of my ability.    

Email: Kristopher.mitchell@navy.mil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GSM1_613X

I will be in Great Lakes for the next 70 days.  If anybody wants to meet up sometime let me know.  I am more than willing to help anybody looking to put an application in this year and will give you whatever help I can.  Thanks

Guest james.caliva

I have completed my E7 and above PPME and currently I am working toward finishing the Officer PPME.  In the correspondence course section on the application is it wise to just write 'Senior Enlisted PPME' or to separate each module, 'BLOCK 2 - Customs and Traditions' and so on.

I don't want to over write but each module is pretty significant.

Guest ChiefH

Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck! I know we are all getting ready to, or have completed, our appraisal boards. Like many of you, this isn't my first rodeo and I'm hoping third time is the charm.

Guest CTO_IT_CPO

is it wise to just write 'Senior Enlisted PPME' or to separate each module, 'BLOCK 2 - Customs and Traditions' and so on.

Definitely just the overall course = Primary Enlisted PME Course

Any word on when the Navadmin will be released this year?  The latest I heard from the Mustang community was that it was in the chop, but that was a few months ago and I haven't heard anything else yet.  I am currently ineligible for LDO, because I am too old, but if I pick up Chief this year, I want to have my package ready for my 736X application...  By the way, good luck to everyone this year!  

Asking for some admin help on this one folks, does anyone have an MS Word template for printing enclosures (Enclosure (1) SSN etc) on to each of your package submissions? Also, this is the first time applying while doing all of the package prep (yes I was lucky and my last command took care of the whole process) What is the guidance on the "labeled brown folder?" Is this something that I could find at a local admin office? Our NCC is on leave and I'll definitely contact him as soon as he gets back in the office. Just hoped someone had some good gouge on the package prep process.

Thanks,

CTTC with 11yr 8mo in applying for the third time for LDO.

I am unable to post it here.  Double click the margin on the bottom.  Check different First Page.  Then use the number pages feature centered and bottom margin.  It should now have a blank first page then a 2, 3, 4 and so on.  Set the cursor in front of the 2 on the second page and hit return twice.  Then set the cursor at the top of the bottom margin and proceed as follows.  Set the font at 12 pt Courier New, Left Allign and type your last, middle, first.  Then Center align and type your social.  Then Right align and type Enclosure (1).  Then repeat for the first page as it is set to different. It should look something like this...

LAST, MIDDLE, FIRST          xxx-xx-xxxx          Enclosure (1)

then the second page and subsequent pages should look like this

You can also move the margin up and down with the header from top/bottom function as some parts of your package may have lettering in the way.  I usually copy my package and then mark all the enclosures on the copies at the normal settings, then write notes on it as to where the margins need to be shifted on each page and then rinse and repeat until I have it marked so it can easily be seen by the board.  Once I have it nailed down then I will mark enclosures on the originals ... very carefully.  Hope that helps!

I am unable to post it here.  Double click the margin on the bottom.  Check different First Page.  Then use the number pages feature centered and bottom margin.  It should now have a blank first page then a 2, 3, 4 and so on.  Set the cursor in front of the 2 on the second page and hit return twice.  Then set the cursor at the top of the bottom margin and proceed as follows.  Set the font at 12 pt Courier New, Left Allign and type your last, middle, first.  Then Center align and type your social.  Then Right align and type Enclosure (1).  Then repeat for the first page as it is set to different. It should look something like this...

then the second page and subsequent pages should look like this

You can also move the margin up and down with the header from top/bottom function as some parts of your package may have lettering in the way.  I usually copy my package and then mark all the enclosures on the copies at the normal settings, then write notes on it as to where the margins need to be shifted on each page and then rinse and repeat until I have it marked so it can easily be seen by the board.  Once I have it nailed down then I will mark enclosures on the originals ... very carefully.  Hope that helps!

You should be able to post it as an attachment. If not you can send it to me and I'll post.  :lol:

You should be able to post it as an attachment. If not you can send it to me and I'll post.  :lol:

• Enclosures.docx

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

This is the error it gives me

I would PM you the doc but I have no PM option in the drop down by my name and I can't for the life of me figure out where it might be...