Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Privatized Base Housing Opens Up More Options

Rate this topic

Tony

Most military members will transfer a number of times throughout their careers, each transfer coming with its own share of stress and uncertainty. One of the biggest sources for stress is trying to decide where you are going to live upon transferring. Will there be available housing on base? Do you even want to live on base, or is off-base housing a better option? There are many questions, and believe or not, there are an equal number of answers.   http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/deptStory.asp?issue=3&dep=12&id=85475

I started living in base housing in my early teens when my father was stationed at Key West FL. That was real military housing (Navy owned). Brick walls (no drywall) and large white warehouse tiles for flooring. It was not appealing to say the least.

I later joined the Navy and was introduced to PPV in San Diego, Lincoln Military housing. I was amazed, beautiful new construction.

Sadly as I moved to Washington State I came to realize that the market for housing did not equate to the BAH (to include utililties) so I moved on base. Shortly there after they started the RECP program, a horribly flawed system. My wife and I conserve energy, LEDs, turning off the lights or unplugging things, thermostat at 64 year round. Even so, the RECP program is based off a balanced "Like Property" model. I was still paying rediculous amounts in utilities. Meanwhile, the privatized housing company pays rediculous amounts in lawn care (contract company cut ALL the grass weekly, year round. Facility lights (for gyms and play rooms that close at 2000) to be on 24hrs a day 7 days a week. Oh and sprinklers running throughout the year in the state that has the highest level of precipitation annually. Something doesn't quite add up?