Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran

Sign in to follow this  
Tony

A New Base Leads to Deeper U.S. Ties in Romania

Rate this topic

Tony
DEVESELU, Romania (NNS) -- Since the ground breaking of Naval Support Facility (NSF) Deveselu, the daily interaction between Romanian and U.S. contractors, and military personnel has provided a platform for multi-cultural exchange and understanding.

NSF Deveselu is part of NATO's ballistic missile defense (BMD) system. With the Forward Deployed Naval Forces ships in Rota, NSF Deveselu will increase the level of protection for Europe and U.S. allies. The support from the Romanian government, military and locals, during the early construction phase, has left an impression on the installation's leadership.

"Since arriving in August, I've been thrilled with the level of support from the Romanian government," said Cmdr. Rod Tribble, NSF Deveselu executive officer. "Our Romanian allies have done everything in their power to make us feel welcomed. They have been great partners in every aspect of construction and support for this base."

Many Romanians who work on the installation come from the nearby towns of Craiova or Caracal. The installation has provided a significant number of employment opportunities to local citizens allowing the formation of new bonds between the two countries. 

"I worked for Hotel Plaza in Craiova before coming to work at NSF Deveselu in May of 2014," said NSF Deveselu Housing Manager Sorina Obrcea. "I have learned a lot about American culture and feel respected by the people I work with."

The only struggle in the workplace is the language barrier which is overcome through the use of translators and by team members committed to excellence. 

"I have an excellent staff," said NSF Deveselu Galley Manager, Donald Douglas. "They are very dependable, hard workers, who enjoy coming to work every day."

Sailors temporarily assigned to NSF Deveselu, have the unique opportunity to travel a part of the world that has been seen by relatively few Americans. 

"I've been stationed overseas before, but just on deployments. I have been to Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Bujara, and Jebel Ali," said Master-at-Arms 1st Class (EXW) Billy Young. "In those places they see a lot of Americans. Here, there were virtually no Americans before this base opened."

As NATO Allies, Romania and the U.S. have served together in Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan and routinely participate in military exercises and engagements. With the eventual completion of NSF Deveselu, Americans and Romanian's will have ample opportunity to interact and multiply the strong bonds of partnership and goodwill already being created. 

"When you really like what you are doing," said Obrcea. "You never work."

NSF Deveselu sits on about 430 acres. The site will consist of a fire-control radar deckhouse with an associated Aegis command, control and communications suite. Separately, it will house several launch modules containing SM-3 missiles and be manned by about 200 U.S. military personnel, government civilians and support contractors. Construction is expected to be complete on NSF Deveselu late 2015. 

For more news from Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Southwest Asia, visit www.navy.mil/local/cnre/.