FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest AWFChief

Good Luck AWF, this is the forum to discuss and hopefully we can all push each other to that next level

Thanks I appreciate it.  I've been using this forum for awhile now and have learned a lot.  My rate is very tough so I'm trying to stay positive.  I'm also looking at setting myself to get out.  Hopefully we will get some good news about the AW rate in the coming weeks.

The results should be in shortly for this: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=82157

As the new Chiefs were pinned today, let us not look back on the past and think what could or should have been, but let's look towards the future and make what will be. Congrats to all the newly pinned Chiefs.

My thoughts exactly.  Hopefully we will join them in 12 months!

Everybody keep plugging along!!! This site deserves some credit for my recent advancement. Thanks Tony you have a diamond here. Prepare yourselves for the pt portion of phase 2, is the advice I have.

• Like 1

Guest Osiris0107

So, this is my first year up for the chief and about to transfer due to a Decom. Just wondering if I could some advice from those of you that have been doing this for a while. I have been in for almost eight years, got capped to first two years ago. I will be taking the exam with two EP's but they are both transfers because of back to back decoms. First transfer eval was a 4.14 this one from my latest Decom is a 3.79, but u figured different commands have different averages And it shouldn't hurt. I also have five nams, and a movsm and have been to both areas of conflict. I have held cmeo, UPC and career counselor billets. Finally I have completed the pome and jpme and hold two necs. Just wondering if you guys could see I there is anything else I should work on or if you think it might be just waiting my time while still performing with ssp. Thanks.

Guest Osiris0107

Outside looking in, I think you're hitting all the wickets, and by that I mean ssp, job performance, big navy items (CMEO, UPC, DAPA, SAPR, etc), volunteering as you already have your MOVSM, and education (professional), I would say personal education, how are you doing with that? One class ads up. I would say make sure your EVALS are written to show how you're leading your Sailors, are they getting recognized, JSOQ and BJOQ, reenlisting, getting approved through CWAY, earning warfare quals if they're able to, etc. I don't think the DECOM will affect you. How were your breakouts on the previous EVALS?

I do have my evals reflecting the cway approvals and the awards and recognitions, but because both of my E6 evals are transfers I haven't had any of them with a breakout. I am not sure how much thy hurts me because my evals are a 4.14 Ep transfer, NOB, 3.71 Ep transfer and when I check into my next command on the 20th of October I will either get another NOB or a continuation since it will be less than 15 months of reporting. Since I have done Cmeo and UPC, do you think divisional career counselor is something I should look after. I haven't taken a class at a college in a year due to having another kid and pcsing for the second time in 10 months, but I am going to start up again since I am only 20 credits shy of my aa in engineering.

Guest Osiris0107

How is everyone preparing for the exam in regards to the pmk? I have heard that it asks questions about navadmins and it only gives the number does Anyone know of any other of the wall type of questions they ask?

Guest Osiris0107

I've never seen any NAVADMIN question on the exam for PMK. I've seen history, uniform regs, policies, etc, never a NAVADMIN on there. That'd be a little far fetched especially if it's not on the bibs. Study up on the BMR book because and whatever is on your bibs and you should be good to go. I also read from the Blue Jacket's Manual as that has wealth of info in it.

Thanks I will have to check those out. Already complete the ppme a year ago do you have to renew ever year or are you good as Lon as you have competed it?

I've never seen any NAVADMIN question on the exam for PMK. I've seen history, uniform regs, policies, etc, never a NAVADMIN on there. That'd be a little far fetched especially if it's not on the bibs. Study up on the BMR book because and whatever is on your bibs and you should be good to go. I also read from the Blue Jacket's Manual as that has wealth of info in it.

I'm not sure about the PMK portion, but on my rating specific questions they definitely asked about instructions that are particular for my rating.  I vaguely recall them asking for an instruction number on one of the PMK questions, but I can't say for certain.  Just know the big Navy programs like urinalysis, DAPA, PFA, and all that, and you should be fine.

Guest Osiris0107

I'm not sure about the PMK portion, but on my rating specific questions they definitely asked about instructions that are particular for my rating.  I vaguely recall them asking for an instruction number on one of the PMK questions, but I can't say for certain.  Just know the big Navy programs like urinalysis, DAPA, PFA, and all that, and you should be fine.

Thanks for all the help. First time up, pretty sure I won't get picked up, but trying to give them a reason to pick me with the highest test score on top of all my accolades. I heard they only reserve a certain number of quotas for people under a 10 years or first time up?

Is GMT still important? From times past it was a source for advancement especially for Chief. And if so I wonder if it would be the FY-14 because of time required to make the exam.

FY-15 GENERAL MILITARY TRAINING SCHEDULE
(1) Alcohol, Drugs, and Tobacco Awareness
        (2) Equal Opportunity/Sexual Harassment/Grievance Procedures
        (3) Hazing Policy and Prevention
        (4) Personal Financial Management
        (5) Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Awareness
        (6) Stress Management
        (7) Suicide Awareness and Prevention

SUBJ/FY-15 GENERAL MILITARY TRAINING SCHEDULE//

Is there a SOY forum here? I think it'd be great to discuss that topic as SOY are coming up and don't want to flood this section with it.

You can always start a new topic on whatever you want to talk about, no need to ask

Now that we are back into phase 1 of cpo365, how does your command run cpo365? My Command is going to train once a month with pt that morning. We, the 1st classes, plan on meeting before the training to go over it. We are also going to incorporate community relation type stuff, 5k runs and try to get with other command cpo365 groups for bbq's and training. Just trying to mix it up.

Guest Blondie

I'm deployed right now, so I'm not participating in much of a CPO 365 program.  Just getting the traditional mentoring from senior enlisted folks.

I'm with the bees as well and here we have CPO365 three times a month. One PT session and two meetings. We go over the guidebook, however we're moving into incorporating more situational based agendas now. Things that Chiefs have seen or experienced to see how we react or handle the situation. Also to integrate us and not just be by the book we will also have BBQ/Sports events. What I'm going to push up as the FCPOA President is for us as FCPOs to go out and talk to a different Chief and take away some type of knowledge whether it be professional or personal in hopes of one, breaking people out the shell of not talking to people and two simply getting to know someone outside of their workspace. I know the saying is that Chiefs rely on other Chiefs, and as a first class striving to be a Chief, we might as well get ahead of the game.

Learning to work together and getting out of the First Class climb-over-your-brother mind set are probably the most valuable lessons you can learn. I say that now, but I was told that prior to being selected and found it nearly impossible to do until Phase II. Role play with a Chief and do counselings, eval debriefs, and give CPO 365 training and ask for honest feedback later in private. Ask to be evaluated as they would evaluate a Chief select, I guarantee you will get much more honest feedback. Take everything on board, and don't take anything personally. Learning to communicate and share information is incredibly difficult to do after so many years of hoarding info and keeping good ideas for you to exploit alone.  

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we are back into phase 1 of cpo365, how does your command run cpo365? My Command is going to train once a month with pt that morning. We, the 1st classes, plan on meeting before the training to go over it. We are also going to incorporate community relation type stuff, 5k runs and try to get with other command cpo365 groups for bbq's and training. Just trying to mix it up.

Here we PT every Monday and Wednesday and do some type of face to face training on Friday.  It may come out of the book or we might take a field trip.

Guest Blondie

Here we PT every Monday and Wednesday and do some type of face to face training on Friday.  It may come out of the book or we might take a field trip.

That's good that you guys are so involved.  We only have face to face training once a month.  Maybe we can get it more often.

• 2 weeks later...

got a powerpoint I'd like to upload, however not sure how to upload it on here...do I have to link is there an upload button?

first you "attach a file" (lower left) 

then you "add to post" (right lower)

if you still have issues with it let me know and I can do it. Not the most user friendly feature...   BBb)

Guest VooDooDoc

Eval advice:

Greetings Ladies and Gents. I'm looking for a little eval debrief advice. I have a PO1 who was moved out of a top notch position for patient safety issues. He was officially counseled and moved to a position where he could be directly supervised. He just signed his eval, and he declined in promotion recommendation from a MP last cycle to a P this cycle, and dropped below the summary group average. He is very adamant about submitting a statement, which is his right. My only problem in submitting this statement, is that the statement must be factual information. The only factual information on this incident is the written counseling.  Has anyone else ran into this situation?  Thanks for the advice.

Guest Blondie

Yep, very abnormal.  No worries, I haven't signed mines either.  Anyone else hasn't signed?  Anyone signed it yet?  Look at the write up and see if it goes with or against the precepts.

No word on PO1 evals at my command either.  I remember last year (and all previous years) we were debriefed promptly.