FY16 Chief Selection Board

Career Development Board (CDB) (2015 Poll)  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Have CDBs been useful to you while going up for Chief?

• Yes
    • No
    • Have not attended one yet

Guest Blondie

The purpose of this topic will be to discuss the FY16 Active Duty Chief Selection Board.  Last year's topic was a great success, with an immense collection of knowledge shared and many denizens of this forum being selected for advancement.  I'd like to see that again this year!  Please talk to your fellow PO1s and have them register -- everyone has had unique experiences in their careers and has valuable input to share!

Guest Blondie

Might as well start on it now. We cannot wait to make board and then push forward. November is right around the corner, let's make sure our EVALS are written to the board. The precepts tell us what they are looking for.

That's exactly right.  There are precepts from previous years available on NPC as well, so it's possible to identify trends and predict what they will look like this year.  One thing that won't change:  there is no substitute for sustained superior performance.  That has been (and almost certainly will continue to be) the #1 factor in selection for advancement.

Guest amcreed

That's exactly right.  There are precepts from previous years available on NPC as well, so it's possible to identify trends and predict what they will look like this year.  One thing that won't change:  there is no substitute for sustained superior performance.  That has been (and almost certainly will continue to be) the #1 factor in selection for advancement.

I would recommend just using this last years as it made things more broad and not as tailored opening it up for more specialized areas.  Looking forward to another year of laughs, fun, and learning!

Guest bham4ever

So, I am due to report to my next command 15 DEC 2014, I was the #1 EP last cycle and on track to be #1 EP again, my command is talking about detaching me 14 NOV 2014, so that I don't hold one of the EPs.  Does anyone think that will affect how the board looks at my eval for the FY 16 CPO board?

That seems like bad gouge. You earned that EP so it isn't wasted. Those PO1s should've performed better to earn stronger consideration. If you're going to detach early, it needs to be MUCH earlier than a day.

Guest jeremybauman23

I am supposed to detach from my Command in January 2015 and report Feb 3 to my new Command. Does anyone know when the exam is supposed to occur so that I can make sure I take the exam?

So, I am due to report to my next command 15 DEC 2014, I was the #1 EP last cycle and on track to be #1 EP again, my command is talking about detaching me 14 NOV 2014, so that I don't hold one of the EPs.  Does anyone think that will affect how the board looks at my eval for the FY 16 CPO board?

Detach and get going! You are not getting any extra fluff being #1 EP 2 years in a row. If anything, it hurts you.

Have your command put in "Would be my #1 of XX if ranked with peers" or something similar.  You get credit for the #1, someone else at your command also gets that, and everyone wins.

Guest Doc-Bigmac

In the FY-15 CPO thread, i remember reading where somebody had completed the "EPME".  Could someone please clarify which one that is? I can't seem to find it on NKO or anything.  Thank you tons!

Guest Blondie

In the FY-15 CPO thread, i remember reading where somebody had completed the "EPME".  Could someone please clarify which one that is? I can't seem to find it on NKO or anything.  Thank you tons!

Are you thinking of the JPME and PPME courses on NKO?

Guest Doc-Bigmac

Yes, those are the courses i was refering to.  I have completed the PPME, and am enrolled/working on the JPME.  Will have to find the BPME.  But saw where someone mentioned a "EPME".  Maybe it was just a typo.  Thanks again!  And for the other Corpsman or for anyone interested out there, the AMDEC course on NKO is another good to have.

Guest Blondie

More than likely.  They have the PPME for officer and enlisted (highly encouraged to complete and request the completion cert when done) and the BPME as well.  The JPME is no longer available for E6 and below at the moment.

Glad I knocked the JPME out when I did then!

Guest Blondie

Not sure if the SNCO JPME is the one you did or not, however they have that one still on there and it is accesible

Ah, yes.  That is the one that I did.

Hey all, new to the party here. looking for a little help, was a 2011 PTS conversion (AM1 TO CTI1). The schools and training collectively took these last 3 yrs to complete an I'm still not scheduled t be complete with my JQR until the end of the year. Sustained superior performance has never been an issue for me until having to cross-rate, now I feel like my 'training' eval's will hold me up for years to come.  Question is: You guys have any tips for how to write this eval? Totally clueless! Thanks in Advance! 

more the block 43. completely lost. feel like I'm getting my very first eval in the Navy all over again. Everybody tries to be encouraging and tell me that a crossrate/ first year on board/ still in training eval, won't affect me at the board; however, it's very frustrating to know how much leadership and technical expertise I've had in the past and now it feels as if I'm back to square one...

The initial 'A' school was two years worth of eval's, then this third year is additional rating training... so, I'm sitting with a EP, NOB, NOB, EP, NOB for 'my last five' now and looking at a 'P' this year (due to being "new" and the year's worth of extra training). not trying to be confusing, it just really is crazy when you break it all down.

There were/are 10 students in each class. The situation is a little odd though. Like, TAD for school, work JQR training,  TAD for school,  work JQR training.... However, both classes give gpa's, vice rankings. So, i provided those for my eval (had to submit my version last fri morn), I did include all training and leadership while in school, as well as volunteer activities and impact. I've also included my junior's/and protege's accomplishments while under my leadership, and what i've been able to accomplish with the command collateral duty I managed to pick up. there are a few projected items on there as well (since they wanted it early), such as JPME and CLEP, planned numbers for Sailor training and counselings.

Have to go in today after class, to see what's gotten cut.

Guest Blondie

The initial 'A' school was two years worth of eval's, then this third year is additional rating training... so, I'm sitting with a EP, NOB, NOB, EP, NOB for 'my last five' now and looking at a 'P' this year (due to being "new" and the year's worth of extra training). not trying to be confusing, it just really is crazy when you break it all down.

There were/are 10 students in each class. The situation is a little odd though. Like, TAD for school, work JQR training,  TAD for school,  work JQR training.... However, both classes give gpa's, vice rankings. So, i provided those for my eval (had to submit my version last fri morn), I did include all training and leadership while in school, as well as volunteer activities and impact. I've also included my junior's/and protege's accomplishments while under my leadership, and what i've been able to accomplish with the command collateral duty I managed to pick up. there are a few projected items on there as well (since they wanted it early), such as JPME and CLEP, planned numbers for Sailor training and counselings.

Have to go in today after class, to see what's gotten cut.

Since you're more senior, were you made a class leader?  My understanding is that 'A' school is multi-service.  Were you in a position of leadership, or did you provide mentoring to Sailors and joint service members alike?  Service members in initial entry training are at a formative stage of their careers, and having a positive role model is incredibly important.  As you mentioned, GPA is important too, but I wouldn't rely on it too much - as a senior Petty Officer, I would expect you to succeed in class as it is (even in a difficult foreign language class).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blondie

Check out this file that was forwarded to me for eval writing.  I know we all should be submitting out inputs now if we haven't already.  Hope this helps some of you!

That's an excellent guide.  I'm definitely going to keep that in my tool box.

Guest amcreed

Excellent! Going to make sure this is utilized by my peers! Thanks for posting amcreed.

That's an excellent guide.  I'm definitely going to keep that in my tool box.

I thought so and wanted to make sure all the hard chargers out there can make sure their eval is written to reflect that.

Guest HawaiiGM

Just got awarded my MOVSM today . Just wanted some clarification on how the board views the MOVSM and is it a potential tie-breaker when the selection board is comparing potential CPOs?

Just got awarded my MOVSM today . Just wanted some clarification on how the board views the MOVSM and is it a potential tie-breaker when the selection board is comparing potential CPOs?

From what I've heard/read in previous years, having a MOVSM will net you the maximum number of points in the community service category of the scoring sheet.  So in that regard I would say that it could potentially be a tie breaker.  But you still need the sustained superior performance, demonstrated leadership, etc. that are on the precepts.