FY-14 Medical Service Corps Program Discussion

Guest MSC/HCA(SS)

The above is true.  I'm going through it right now.  Basically, the way it works is like this.  There hasn't been any full time training selects for HCA for years.  If you meet the initial entry requirements (the Bachelor's degree) IAW the 1420 instruction, that makes you eligible for selection.  If you come from a medical or corpsman community, you most likely will go to ODS and then to your first duty station.  If you are from outside of the corpsman community, you will most likely go to USUHS or Baylor for a Master's degree.  We had one select who was outside of the community, but he had a Master's in an IT related field and Guam needed a CIO.  But I have a feeling he was the exception and not the rule.  That is why it is/was important that you have conditional acceptance letters from the two programs, if you are outside of the community it gives you more options.  If you have a CAHME/CEPH/AACSB Master's that was brick and mortar based, you will get O-2 upon commissioning.  The community tends to frown upon online Master's programs, even if they are accredited.  Additionally, if you are a corpsman and have just recently finished your Master's, sometimes they give you the option to go to one of the schools.  I can't provide any exact details or methodology, but it happens. All in all, getting selected is a win-win situation.  The community is strong and robust, and going to school for a degree on the government is a great deal for you.  Good luck to all.

Guest MSC/HCA(SS)

My results were out on the morning of 30NOV.  But that was also with a board that convened in October (early, I don't remember the exact dates).  Your mileage may vary....

I would love to see the precept. The MSC-IPP website hasn't been updated in years. The admin support for this entire process is severely lacking.

So I called NPC who referred me back to HM1 Jones and Ms. Kemp for the precept. I spoke with HM1 Jones who informed me that the precept isn't given out. I guess this board is different from every other selection board where the precept is very public and available. She did answer my specific questions about quotas (17 were selected for PA) and read me the names of board members.

I was writing the names as fast as I could but HM1 Jones was very obviously annoyed that I was even asking. As usual with that office, very little support actually comes out, lots of excuses, lots of made up rules. I'm sure I was interrupting her ** Please read the guidelines ** time. Here's what I managed to capture: Board President was CAPT Dexter, CAPT Hall (member), a CWO3 (didn't get the name) and LT Howell (recorder). There were a few other names I didn't get written down, all together about 6 names. Hopefully we all make it, but regardless of whether or not I'm selected, I will be bringing a lot of attention to the support staff and their lack of actual support.

Guest Doc_Jones

AlwaysEB23 Your numbers are off , there are Atleast 4-5of us from NMTSC Ft.Sam Houston that applied for HCA. We all received emails stating our packages were received as well. My cover letter from the CO said 7 applicants, but a few were PA

Hello all,

I have been reading the responses and  inputs. I am gaining some valuable information and I appreciate it.  It helps to know that we all share the same feelings about this program, and the lack of administrative support leaving us blind.

In regards to the numbers, my sources have informed me that 15 selectees are in fact correct for HCA.  As for the total number of applicants, there were approximately 70 total. Leaving us with about a 21% chance of getting selected. I find that pretty favorable odds if you compare them to a majority of enlisted rates.

In addition, the projected release date proposed was going to be in the third week of this month, making this anywhere from the 16th-20th of December. My gut tells me it will be released the end of this upcoming week, but I am just as anxious and blind as everyone here.

I hope I was able to infuse some optimism as we wait for our names to be on the NAVADMIN. Good Luck! Timing is everything.

Does anyone know how many applicants there were for PA?

I "heard" there were 20 PA candidates that were fully qualified and 18 got picked.  I got that message from an HM1 in Fort Sam Houston, TX.   

Guest ET2 PHARM

Hello everybody!!!!!!  I applied for the pharmacy program.  In the previous blog I asked if anybody knew of other applicants for pharmacy and read about one HM1 in Bethesda.  Does anybody knows of other applicants? For those of you that can get in touch with HM1 Jones or Ms Kemp if you could inquire about how many pharmacy applicants were selected and if there were any alternates? That will give me a better idea of where I stand.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened to the message board and to my account lol like salt in an open wound to this whole to tedious process! Im back so hopefully If results are released next week I will find out through here since I will be on leave.

open wound to this whole to tedious process! 

and imagine the time I spent hunting for a more secure yet cost effective server and then rebuilding the forum and website, working into the late hours of the night - all just for you...  BBb)

All for me?! Aww... ;D thanks for getting it running again this is where I get 90% of my information about the program which again why it's like salt when the server crashed or whatever. 2% came from ms. K and the rest I just winged it in case anyone was wondering since everybody is on the breakdown kick haha

All for me?! Aww... ;D thanks for getting it running again this is where I get 90% of my information about the program which again why it's like salt when the server crashed or whatever. 2% came from ms. K and the rest I just winged it in case anyone was wondering since everybody is on the breakdown kick haha

yep, well 99% for you...   :D  and actually someone hacked into the older server rendering it useless. It was full speed ahead though to get things back running for you all. welcome back smf8  BBb)

What loser hacks a navy forum board server? What a sad world sometimes.

this time it was someone from Russia - they use the server assets to do things over the internet.   :wacko:

Guest jacksfailure

Hey everyone! Just found this forum and it's a breath of fresh air. Like most of you, I'm completely in the dark here at NHCL. I can tell you that as far as the hospital goes, I'm 99% sure that I'm the only one who submitted for HCA. We also had one submit for pharmacy. I'm not sure about anyone across the street. I'm praying that my name is on that NAVADMIN as a primary this year!

Guest BM1/MSC/HCA

WOW that was nerve wreaking trying to bring up the forum and nothing. I was upset about that. Glad that its back. So 15 HCA huh I don't like that number. I believe that I only have one thing that may hold me back which is my GRE scores i didn't get the 300, however i have seen people that was selected without it. I did get the conditional letter for Uniform Services, also they stated that my GRE score will be waived . I made sure that they sent me a personal email stating that my GRE scores was waived so i hope that helps me out. I did put that email in my package as well. I scored a 295 on the GRE and let me tell you i hate that test. Well I predicted that the results will be out DEC 20 thats just what i think hope that they come out soon. Im trying to speak my name on the NAVADMIN into existence. Good Luck to all

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Had a question about the PA program. How do you know for sure that your "package" made it to the final board. I received an email from Ms.Kemp with a credit acceptance from University of Nebraska, but that was it. I have all the required grades but I want told that my package made it to the final board or whatever.

Just stressing that my package didn’t make it.

Any reassuring comments?

BTW I am the only one I know of that applied for the PA program from Okinawa.

Chris

Sadly there are no reassurances. I had the same question as ms. Kemp lost paperwork I sent her. So she failed to send off my transcripts for review and never bothered to send a courtesy email or call. So when all other reviews were coming in I became concerned and called until she answered and I asked was there something wrong why have I not received word that my B.S. degree was accepted? She said that's not her job to know what's not missing, but then said it's held up because she couldn't find smart transcripts. Fast forward to after the boards. I send an email asking if my package went to board for review. She replied with "I don't know what your asking all academically sound packages were sent." I replied with did my package get sent? Put several spaces explained about the smart holdup and said or did my smart hold up the package No question mark no anything just explaining why I ask ( also have orders assigned to me and suppose to report to 2ndmardiv jan3 so really need to know before people drop the ball and I get a black mark on record for being UA until I can get it fixed) but her reply to the email was "yes" nothing else no further reply to say what she said yes to so all I can do is hope for the best.

Try not to stress all though like me I'm sure you are. Good luck!