Jump to content


Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal


ET1EXWIWSW

FY19 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

IS Uno    3
IS Uno

Ok ladies and gents. Unfortunately I received the dreaded "N" as well. I honestly thought I had a pretty good shot of making it considering the amount of ISCs that were made. I "thought" my resume was strong enough to warrant a selection but I was wrong. 

We have roughly 3 months and some change to add to our evals and make them stronger that they are now. What are you guys doing to accomplish this goal? I am currently deployed but will be returning soon and will be on post deployment leave for 30 days. That isn't stopping me from getting some great bragsheet material done while I can. I am currently working on my Non-Resident Training Course (NRTC) Petty officer 1st class, Chief, and BMR. Maybe I should have completed them years ago but they should be good for the education wickets (Completed AA and BA already). And I am looking for more good-to-haves to add.

I finished last half of 2016 year as the departmental LPO (of 32), and am currently the 2nd platoon LPO (of 16). My eval was due to my Chief on the 21st of July but will continue to feed inputs as the deployment rolls on. I went through the progression of P, MP, EP and am hoping to have a ranked EP this next iteration. I will have LPO-12, AA/BA, MOVSM, SEJPME, PPME, BPME, and a COM for deployment award. Unfortunately, since I was deployed, I couldn't attend any CPO365 events but hopefully the board will understand.

I have also enrolled in the US Map program, although there isn't much for the IS rate. I think my goal for next year is to make SOY. That would be awesome. I know it wouldn't count for FY19 Chiefs board, but it would be a big accomplishment. 

What about you guys? I think we'd all love to hear your plans or if you have any gouge to help become more competitive. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WINGSofGOLD    0
WINGSofGOLD

So first post here.. been lurking for a while and didn't get the coveted S this year. Just got elected FCPOA Pres though! My question is for anyone who has been a FCPOA pres or worked with one that was effective. What did you find that worked the best to motivate your mess and is there any advise you can give me to be a more effective president? Thanks for any and all inputs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
navyordie123    339
navyordie123

how is everyone doing? I hope that all is well and that everyone that didn't get selected this year has gotten over the sting of not getting selected and is ready to move on. I know that I am. this is the first time that I have posted this early, so hoping to catch some more good advice than ever before so I can get over the hump and get selected next year. I did get some really good advice from a Senior Chief after the results came out and I am going to carry that with me and move on. Some people have already started looking at my record and letting me know what I can improve on as well. I am the LPO of the shop right now and getting ready to go on deployment soon as I know that i will get that LPO at Sea check in the box and get another regular eval will help me out as well. Went LIMDU in 2015 so I got a reg eval in 14 and then a xfer eval in 15 along with a P Reg eval right before I went back to sea duty along with a LOE and the "Welcome Aboard" P at the command that im at now. So hopefully with getting another Reg eval and then sending in 2 USMAP certs and whatever else i can do along the way will help me out. thank you Tony for having this forum and allowing all of us to share bits of wisdom and experience on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stazz    1
Stazz

So this year was a dozen kicks to the groin. I personally worked with at least 12 of the selects that put 1st on after me. Looking at the TIR seniority rank number, I would've been just ahead of the middle. This was my 3rd year up and really felt like my year as we got closer (mainly due to identifying and correcting record deficiencies that were undetected previous years). I've been on leave since before the results, so I have not been briefed by my CoC, and my  CMC was at the board.

Here's what I'm working with:

Record is clean, nothing missing, nothing that doesn't belong.

Admin separation (medical reasons in boot camp, 2005) reentered service in 2006

E6 Evals (chronological): MP, EP (12 of 56), EP (not ranked of 76, transfer'd day after signing), P (check-in, TAD in school all year)

MTS, IPME, BPME,PPME, JPME, all in-rate NRTC, CPO NRTC

B.S. Degree 3.8 gpa. Working on Masters 4.0 gpa

FCC General Radiotelephone Operator's License

Led CPO 365 training and PT

MOVSM (led divisional volunteer program, documented others were granted MOVSM as result)

FCPOA Secretary-12, VP-4 (President PCSd early by detailer)

Dual Warfare (ESWS earned since last eval)

 

What I know I'm missing (should I have explained it in my LTB?)

Collateral Duty Inspector on current T/M/S- I did not have the NEC required until October due to school schedule. This is my 3rd T/M/S aircraft because the Navy likes to retire every aircraft I work on (and currently I'm working on F/A-18C...)

LPO tour. This is missing due to Seniority, Manning, and PRD conflicts. On my shore tour the 15+ year 1st Class missed board and kept the LPO spot for 2 years as there was no other progression available due to his PRD (training command). After that 2nd year, I didn't have enough time in the command due to my PRD to get the LPO spot (the Sailor that did, was selected this year). My current Command has extended every 1st class they can (At one time we had 11 AM1s). Now that the results are posted, waiting to find out if the 2 year TIR guy that was extended to get a full cycle eval next year will get the LPO spot based on T/M/S experience.

Big part of why I have these 2 short-comings was due to a last minute order mod that canceled all my school in route to my current command, forcing me to go to school for most of my first year attached to the command. I was 45 days from PCSing when my house burned down from a lightning strike. The order mod was to give me time to handle it.

 

Some new things going into next year:

Dual Warfare on an eval (with decent numbers of qualifying others)

TAD during deployment but was Dog UI (FDC that sits in Flight Deck Control) Night shift, in theater.

 

I would love to hear some input from those that have sat the board. I know it's a numbers game but tired of the rejection (3x CPO, 2x STA-21, 3x LDO, 1x OCS).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony    860
Tony
8 minutes ago, Stazz said:

Here's what I'm working with:

Record is clean, nothing missing, nothing that doesn't belong.

Has anyone scrubbed your records? :huh: 

Preferably a Chief that sat the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stazz    1
Stazz
10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Has anyone scrubbed your records? :huh: 

Preferably a Chief that sat the board. 

Yes, my YNC went through my record and found items that were missing. These were corrected when I reenlisted in May. I also sent copies to the board just in case my OMPF didn't update in time. My package was reviewed by my CMC and 2 AVCMs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BXPS1    1
BXPS1

This year was rough. A lot of great FTS PSs were selected, so there is no beef there. I just feel like I should have been there with them. Working on this Warfare Pin and this Master's...we'll see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Presise    2
Presise

Its hard to not to be discouraged and every year it gets harder and harder to not to feel slighted.  I am frustrated, as I am sure many others are.  I made 1st class in 5 years as a Yeoman, because frankly, I am smart, I had some great mentors, and I gave a 110%.  That was 12 years ago.  In that time, I gathered numerous awards, been selected Sailor of the Year 2 times, been a LPO for the past 4 commands, achieved a Master Degree, and numerous professional certifications and have always taken the most difficult assignments and collateral duties.  I have great evaluations, and two years ago I volunteered to mobilize to Afghanistan in hopes I would be competitive.  Yes, my rating is tight, but I give everything I have.  I have never been in trouble, and I have no medical issues. Not even a single grey hair at 40.

At my command, I am relied upon for my knowledge and experience.  Officers come to me for guidance, as do Chief's.  I act like a Chief, I feel like a Chief, and every year, I hear the same thing from the Mess, "Oh, you definitely made it." followed by the same admission, "Oh, we will make sure you make it next year."  They are meant to be assuring, but now they just make me angry.

Yes, I know I should be happy for those that are selected, but every year of being passed by, I wonder if I have earned the right to be upset?  I see people in other ratings being selected. People with far less knowledge and experience, I now defer to.  One of my shipmates, who I do like, and is very smart, was a newly promoted 2nd class when I met him, and is now a Chief, while I remain the same rank.   Should this not upset me?  Yes his rating is less competitive than mine, but we are taught, rating does not make the Chief but it seems like it does.

The worst is those who hate the Navy.  I see those being selected who frankly hate their job, and only wanted to make Chief so they could enjoy the perks of not doing the manual labor that I still do.

Its even harder to admit to my achievements.  During an LDO board, I was asked why I should be an Officer when I can't even make Chief?  I honestly had no answer.  I didn't know if I was more angry than ashamed by the question.  For all the things I have to be proud of when I went into that board, that Officer pointed out an undeniable fact.  Do I even deserve to be a Chief?  Is my failure my own burden that I cannot see?  Is it my fault that I am not worthy to put on the anchor?  Is it the system's fault? My wife asks me why I don't have more pride in my service.  I have pride in my job, but I honestly don't know if I can still have pride in my service.

In 2 years I reach HYT and will be forced out of the Navy.  I would gladly serve longer, but I will not get that opportunity.  I pretend it doesn't matter.  I tell myself that I have earned the respect of a Chief, even if I don't wear the anchors, but I know I am not a Chief and everyone who sees me knows I am not, nor would I ever presume I am a Chief when I do not wear the uniform, but then if I have not earned it, then shouldn't I be angry if I am treated as one?

I am proud of what I have done, but having nothing to show for it, will make it all the more difficult to accept those retirement papers.  I have been reading these posts a while now, and I see frustration as well and I also see hopefulness for the following year. I had that too.  There is only a couple more chances for me and then I sadly I have to give up the one thing I love most in my life.  I have to accept the reality that I will probably never be selected, no matter what I do.  This is the hardest part for me and the most frustrating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
subguy10524    21
subguy10524

@Presise who have you had look at your board pack throughout the years? Have you reached out to anyone of the Master Chiefs or Senior Chiefs who have sat the board? While the things they are looking for change slightly year to year, someone who sat the board can potentially give you some advice on what is the piece you may be missing.

That would be my advice. Keep pushing, and try to figure out what that missing piece is.  That is what will push you over into the selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeniorSnipe92545    10
SeniorSnipe92545

Hello Shipmates.  It is never too early to start prepping for next year’s board.  The common thing I see here is you guys list what YOU have done.  MOVSM, PPME, JPME, whatever……At this pay grade, it is not about what you can do.  Being a leader is about what you can make your Sailors do.  Let’s say 3 of your Sailors earned their MOVSM, that would look a lot better than YOU getting yours, right? 

When I read posts, it is mostly about me, me, me.   That is not going to work.    The focus should be on how do I set my Junior Sailors up for success and how I can make a positive impact on the command. 

Just my .02 cents. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeepseaSeabee    23
DeepseaSeabee
21 hours ago, Presise said:

Its hard to not to be discouraged and every year it gets harder and harder to not to feel slighted.  I am frustrated, as I am sure many others are.  I made 1st class in 5 years as a Yeoman, because frankly, I am smart, I had some great mentors, and I gave a 110%.  That was 12 years ago.  In that time, I gathered numerous awards, been selected Sailor of the Year 2 times, been a LPO for the past 4 commands, achieved a Master Degree, and numerous professional certifications and have always taken the most difficult assignments and collateral duties.  I have great evaluations, and two years ago I volunteered to mobilize to Afghanistan in hopes I would be competitive.  Yes, my rating is tight, but I give everything I have.  I have never been in trouble, and I have no medical issues. Not even a single grey hair at 40.

At my command, I am relied upon for my knowledge and experience.  Officers come to me for guidance, as do Chief's.  I act like a Chief, I feel like a Chief, and every year, I hear the same thing from the Mess, "Oh, you definitely made it." followed by the same admission, "Oh, we will make sure you make it next year."  They are meant to be assuring, but now they just make me angry.

Yes, I know I should be happy for those that are selected, but every year of being passed by, I wonder if I have earned the right to be upset?  I see people in other ratings being selected. People with far less knowledge and experience, I now defer to.  One of my shipmates, who I do like, and is very smart, was a newly promoted 2nd class when I met him, and is now a Chief, while I remain the same rank.   Should this not upset me?  Yes his rating is less competitive than mine, but we are taught, rating does not make the Chief but it seems like it does.

The worst is those who hate the Navy.  I see those being selected who frankly hate their job, and only wanted to make Chief so they could enjoy the perks of not doing the manual labor that I still do.

Its even harder to admit to my achievements.  During an LDO board, I was asked why I should be an Officer when I can't even make Chief?  I honestly had no answer.  I didn't know if I was more angry than ashamed by the question.  For all the things I have to be proud of when I went into that board, that Officer pointed out an undeniable fact.  Do I even deserve to be a Chief?  Is my failure my own burden that I cannot see?  Is it my fault that I am not worthy to put on the anchor?  Is it the system's fault? My wife asks me why I don't have more pride in my service.  I have pride in my job, but I honestly don't know if I can still have pride in my service.

In 2 years I reach HYT and will be forced out of the Navy.  I would gladly serve longer, but I will not get that opportunity.  I pretend it doesn't matter.  I tell myself that I have earned the respect of a Chief, even if I don't wear the anchors, but I know I am not a Chief and everyone who sees me knows I am not, nor would I ever presume I am a Chief when I do not wear the uniform, but then if I have not earned it, then shouldn't I be angry if I am treated as one?

I am proud of what I have done, but having nothing to show for it, will make it all the more difficult to accept those retirement papers.  I have been reading these posts a while now, and I see frustration as well and I also see hopefulness for the following year. I had that too.  There is only a couple more chances for me and then I sadly I have to give up the one thing I love most in my life.  I have to accept the reality that I will probably never be selected, no matter what I do.  This is the hardest part for me and the most frustrating.

I'm definitely in the same boat. It stings doesn't it? I've been a First since 2007. I didn't even know what a precept was until 2011 because I just kept my head down, worked hard and took care of my people. Since then I've tried to embody the precepts as much as possible and help other First classes I led and worked with do the same. Last year and this year all my peers and a handful of junior guys I led  got the S. I'm approaching 18 years and I've loved what I've done for the Navy and for the people that have worked with and for me. But the pill of never getting selected is becoming easier to swallow. I'm still going 100% just for personal satisfaction. The idea of getting promoted is slowly beginning to fade away. It's ok and there is more to life than getting upset from not getting selected. I'm setting myself up for when I retire because this Navy life will be coming to a halt in less than 3 years. @Presise Continue to do what you can for yourself and your people so at the end you can at least say you left no stone unturned and you left it a better place. That's how I'm doing it. I will be proud to be able to say I did everything I could.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HI_IT    5
HI_IT
On 8/5/2017 at 0:15 AM, HawkISback said:

It can be, I had LIMDU drama my last command, they also tried to give me the kiss of death 1/1 MP. But I am still standing.  IMO the EP helps for the test, but the write up is the most critical piece.  

Did they actually give you the 1/1 MP?  I had that as a transfer in 2013, it's the only potentially negative thing  in the past 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HI_IT    5
HI_IT
On 8/5/2017 at 5:40 AM, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Question, how can someone with back to back P evals and a PRT failure make it but I cant. Had number 7 EP last cycle, got a MP my first eval at my new command, but when I left the Truman I had P, MP, MP. No PRT failures, all PPME courses completed, 2 US MAPS, Associates Degree, Airspeed Green Belt qualified, OOD qualified, and 365 involvement on my eval leading first classes.?? Any advice on what I can do??

This is why there needs to be more transparency with the boards.  I'm sure most are selected based on their merits but I also believe that if the right person wants you to be selected, you will be, regardless of how you break out during the board.  If the right person doesn't want you to be selected, you won't be.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**HawkISback**    257
HawkISback
4 hours ago, HI_IT said:

Did they actually give you the 1/1 MP?  I had that as a transfer in 2013, it's the only potentially negative thing  in the past 5 years.

Oh they most certainly did, I countered it with my most recent command but only because I tried to do EVERYTHING to show self improvement and command impact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HI_IT    5
HI_IT
6 hours ago, HawkISback said:

Oh they most certainly did, I countered it with my most recent command but only because I tried to do EVERYTHING to show self improvement and command impact. 

Good for you.  I thought I had done the same but I guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeniorSnipe92545    10
SeniorSnipe92545
21 hours ago, HI_IT said:

This is why there needs to be more transparency with the boards.  I'm sure most are selected based on their merits but I also believe that if the right person wants you to be selected, you will be, regardless of how you break out during the board.  If the right person doesn't want you to be selected, you won't be.   

You are misinformed.  That does not how the board works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HI_IT    5
HI_IT
18 minutes ago, SeniorSnipe92545 said:

You are misinformed.  That does not how the board works. 

Just my perception.  Unfortunately, I can't prove or be proved right or wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**HawkISback**    257
HawkISback
On 8/5/2017 at 8:40 AM, AS1(AW/SW/IW) said:

Question, how can someone with back to back P evals and a PRT failure make it but I cant. Had number 7 EP last cycle, got a MP my first eval at my new command, but when I left the Truman I had P, MP, MP. No PRT failures, all PPME courses completed, 2 US MAPS, Associates Degree, Airspeed Green Belt qualified, OOD qualified, and 365 involvement on my eval leading first classes.?? Any advice on what I can do??

Was the failure there while you were onboard, if so what did they do to overcome it.  On the 365 peice, was your involvement leading training or attending? Are you sure the board had the opportunity to see that in your record?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**HawkISback**    257
HawkISback
On 8/8/2017 at 11:01 PM, HI_IT said:

This is why there needs to be more transparency with the boards.  I'm sure most are selected based on their merits but I also believe that if the right person wants you to be selected, you will be, regardless of how you break out during the board.  If the right person doesn't want you to be selected, you won't be.   

It can feel like that, but if anyone was going to be blackballed it would have been me.  Have you had a CDB with your CMC yet?  How many years do you have in?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**HawkISback**    257
HawkISback

Another thing for everyone, you have to be ready physically for the initiation.  I am a CFL and this has some challenges for me.  Start now or be prepared to be called out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OSCinthemaking    9
OSCinthemaking

@HawkISback I definitely did not prepare myself for this high level of exercise I am regretting that decision everyday but hey I don't give up. 

A note on how some people make it that you wouldn't expect while others believe they are deserving of being advanced bit getting the N; IMO titles mean nothing without the results to back them up.  

You can have zero titles and still be able to show leadership. It truly is about what your junior sailors produce that make you advance. I have a Bachelors Degree, did it help in getting me advance yes however, it was not a deciding factor but merely a filler. 

Don't get hung up on EP,MP, and Ps. The board knows that not everyone can have an EP. They see beyond the cookie cutter sailors they want who have shown  Sustain Superior Performance consistently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**HawkISback**    257
HawkISback
On 8/12/2017 at 5:47 PM, OSCinthemaking said:

@HawkISback I definitely did not prepare myself for this high level of exercise I am regretting that decision everyday but hey I don't give up. 

A note on how some people make it that you wouldn't expect while others believe they are deserving of being advanced bit getting the N; IMO titles mean nothing without the results to back them up.  

You can have zero titles and still be able to show leadership. It truly is about what your junior sailors produce that make you advance. I have a Bachelors Degree, did it help in getting me advance yes however, it was not a deciding factor but merely a filler. 

Don't get hung up on EP,MP, and Ps. The board knows that not everyone can have an EP. They see beyond the cookie cutter sailors they want who have shown  Sustain Superior Performance consistently. 

What region are you at, the only thing they are kicking my butt in is pushups.  Oh well and if I am honest my memory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OSCinthemaking    9
OSCinthemaking
On 8/13/2017 at 11:30 PM, HawkISback said:

What region are you at, the only thing they are kicking my butt in is pushups.  Oh well and if I am honest my memory.  

I'm in Norfolk Virginia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kontogsl    18
kontogsl
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, Iam32 said:

 PRT failure is just a distractor. I know a guy that had 2 P's in a row then MP then EP that got selected. I've seen one guy get selected that got a MP on his last eval. Push for next year that's all we can do. 

I made it with two MPs in a row. anything is possible.

  • Cool! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**HawkISback**    257
HawkISback
On 8/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, OSCinthemaking said:

I'm in Norfolk Virginia 

I thought we might have passed by each other in the SoY contest, but I went through Pacific 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×