Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

JNB

Flat Earth Believers

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I hope this will not be considered too trivial, but has anyone ever  met any "True Flat Earth Believers" in the Navy ?

I haven't. Usually the discussion here is about career related stuff but maybe someone can chime in if they have any thoughts on that topic. However, I think it has already been shown that the earth is round (not to spoil the fun). :rolleyes:

As mentiioned this was really a bit too trivial but I was just curious. There is a Flat Earth Society website. I have never had an experiences along that line  but just wondered if anyone had ever met a "Flat Earther". The FES claims "There is a resurgence of interest in the flat earth." LOL

This may seem like a bit of ancient history, but I served in the Navy duriing the Korean Conflict.  At that time there was  some kind of test given at the local Navy Recruiting Station . This was a test on basic knowledge of electronics . I think they called it the  "Eddy Test," If you passed it , you enlisted as an ETSR and were guaranteed that you would be assigned to Electronics School after completion of Recruit Training. At that time  "Boot  Camp" was 11 weeks at San Diego and "ET School" was 36 weeks at Treasure Island .  

Is there a similar program in today's Navy ? I get a question occasionally from high school students considering  Military Service.

My service was in that way. I served in the ET Divisions (then desigmated as "ER" and later as "OE") on USS Sicily (CVE-118) and USS Kenneth Whiting (AV-14).

I was Senior Petty Officer in charge of the ET's on USS Kenneth Whiting for the last 6 months of my active duty. Was eligible for promotion to ET1 at time of separation. Completed 4 year obligation in Inactive Ready Reserve as required at that time for 4 years acive duty plus 4  yesrs additional active duty or 4 years Reserve for which I opted, there being no ET Reserve Unit locally.

26 minutes ago, JNB said:

As mentiioned

Well, I would be the first to inform the flat earth society that if the earth were flat, all things GPS, navigation, UHF/ VHF, "over the horizon" weapons (or "over the horizon" anything for that matter), stuff near and dear to the Navy, would fall flat on its face in regard to theory. :)

As far as I know, for the Navy you take an ASVAB test which determine which rate you are eligible to enter. You are then trained in that rate. About the same as what you did.

Thanks, Tony-

Just for what it's worth, the Unipolar and/or  Bipolar Azimuthal Equidistant Projections and the synbol on the United Natiions Flag are what the flat earth looks like according to the FES. They say there is no FE Map but those are close to the shape of the esrth.

Service in the Navy was my start in Electronics. This went on to 38 years as an ET in the FAA. I have been enjoying retirement for the last several years, all thanks to that "jump start" in the USN.