FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
1 minute ago, papasmurf said:

i do know that from a reliable source on September 16th we will know who all the new chiefs are.. 

at this point I wouldn't even completely believe that...:D

Guest NavyChic

So there was an incident at work today where a Chief was in the wrong.

And what did a group of first and second classes say "well he is a new Chief".

It bothers me when someone says "well they are a new this or that". That doesn't take away from their years of service or experience. 

What do you all think? Or how would you feel if some said "Well he/she is a new Chief"? 

26 minutes ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

that was me probably, I am at work and thought I was logged on but alas, I was mistaken :blink:

No, not you neither :)

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
11 minutes ago, NavyChic said:

So there was an incident at work today where a Chief was in the wrong.

And what did a group of first and second classes say "well he is a new Chief".

It bothers me when someone says "well they are a new this or that". That doesn't take away from their years of service or experience. 

What do you all think? Or how would you feel if some said "Well he/she is a new Chief"? 

If it was a management thing or bad judgment call, maybe. If it was work related then no, that is no excuse. He/She is trusted to be a SME at the rate. JMHO

Guest NavyChic
6 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

what exactly happened if you dont mind me asking

The Chief came in a work center that was not his, mad going off on a group of First and Second classes. 

He was wrong because the reason he was mad should have been discussed at a Chief to Chief level, well we have a Senior Chief. But the Senior Chief wasn't in the office at the time. Instead he took out on the Sailors that were there. These Sailors didn't even know who he was or what was going on. 

After he left, one of his Sailors came in and the other Sailors gave him a hard time like why did your Chief just come over here saying this and that.

And his Sailor said "well he is a new Chief" and some other things. 

I don't know if this Chief has been in the Navy 6 or 15 years. I do agree he was wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with him being "a new Chief"

Guest NavyChic
3 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Well thats a tough one, while he may not be "your" chief, he is a chief and if something was not right i would say he has every right to fix it, now as for his approach maybe not the best, but all leaders fail from time to time. Im not entirely sure there is a right and wrong here, very much up for interpretation. To me it sounds like there is some missing parts to the story, like what the relationship between his shop and your's. Was there a actual issue, or perceived by another dept because of a failure in communications or actual duties by your shop. I think there is much more going on here. And I will guess that regardless this "issue" was probably discussed before among the chiefs. And if not it will be. 

Yes he approach was not the best and your right there is more going on. 

Afterwards, he talked to me because I'm a respected first class at my command and I understood where he was coming from.

Guest NavyChic
4 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

also ill add that it wasnt his sailors place to make that statement. While we all have opinions and think we know best, we dont always. And particularly speaking ill of ones CoC in front of other sailors is poor form

I absolutely agree! 

Guest Quester37

Commander, Navy Reserve Force takes pleasure in announcing the selections from the 2017 BSO 72 MAP Board: 

1. ABH1 Freeman, Oliver, NOSC FT. Dix
  2. AO1 Slupski, Richard, NOSC Memphis
  3. AZ1 Pinkard, Kevin, VFC-111
  4. HM1 Hartfield, Charles, NOSC Wilmington, NC
  5. HM1 Rockett, Jaycie, NOSC Denver
  6. OS1 Shuey, Harry, NOSC Milwaukee
  7. YN1 Rapier, Kelci, NOSC Newport
  8. PS2 Evans, Michael, NOSC Chattanooga
  9. PS2 Harris, Devorris, NOSC ST. Louis
  10. PS2 Jankee, Kalini, NOSC New London
  11. PS2 Vallone, Jacob, NOSC Madison
  12. PS3Gameros, Rafael, NOSC Springfield, MO
  13. PS3 Hernandez, NOSC Minneapolis 

Congratulations to all our MAP selections throughout the Reserve Force!

Guest Rolling DV8
6 minutes ago, deepseadmt97 said:

With sep 16 is a saturday, does anyone know if pinning would be 14 or 18 sep?

It depends on the Mess.  Phase II meetings have been going on since February.  If Selected, the Mess will provide the actual date.  I know of one Mess pinning on the 15th and another pinning on the 16th to continue tradition.  

Guest PSjg78
3 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

wow almost all mid west and central.. a few eastern sailors, nothing west... 

Actually we have one YN1 from NOSC North Island that was MAP... wonder why she isn't on this list.... that would be a West Coast and NOSC Denver is also a West Coast

Guest HawkISback
19 minutes ago, deepseadmt97 said:

With sep 16 is a saturday, does anyone know if pinning would be 14 or 18 sep?

Bangor area was doing on 15th. 

Guest kontogsl

So I think that was me earlier that was signed in anonymously, I didn't know what the check box was for. Guess I figured that out. LOL, my bad guys.

Guest deepseadmt97
25 minutes ago, Rolling DV8 said:

It depends on the Mess.  Phase II meetings have been going on since February.  If Selected, the Mess will provide the actual date.  I know of one Mess pinning on the 15th and another pinning on the 16th to continue tradition.  

They are pinning on Saturday?

Guest Rolling DV8
Just now, deepseadmt97 said:

They are pinning on Saturday?

Traditionally Navy Chiefs are pinned on September 16.   The Master Chiefs and the Mess decided to keep with tradition.

Guest Chief Guns
2 hours ago, Rolling DV8 said:

Traditionally Navy Chiefs are pinned on September 16.   The Master Chiefs and the Mess decided to keep with tradition.

Pinning ceremony can happen early if the 16th falls on the weekend. My year 2013, we was pinned on Friday September 13th.

And Master Chiefs and the Mess aren't separate. We are one brother/sisterhood. So it's not Master Chief and the Mess. Its the Chiefs Mess. 

And if you are eligible, i wish you nothing but the best of luck, and hopefully i will be calling you my brother/sister in six weeks time. 

3 hours ago, kontogsl said:

So I think that was me earlier that was signed in anonymously, I didn't know what the check box was for. Guess I figured that out. LOL, my bad guys.

Uh huh!!

We finally have a confession!! 

:bigemo_harabe_net-08:

Guest PO14Life

So for fundraisers, is it CPO mandated what do you get to pick your own? Also, what are the best fundraisers do you guys see ?

Since it's quiet here...

Do any other non-BM's here ever pipe the side at ceremonies?

I end up with the honor for every ceremony at my command. I have one tomorrow for a Chief's retirement, and I was especially honored that he also asked me to read "The Watch."

• Like 1

Guest Chief Guns
8 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

So for fundraisers, is it CPO mandated what do you get to pick your own? Also, what are the best fundraisers do you guys see ?

I pray that you will find out next week Future Chief. Until then......this Chief lips are sealed!!!

10 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

Breakfast burrito sale.

The infamous car wash.

Finding a retired CPO that has a sweet hobby (like making knives, carpentry, heritage stuff, etc...) and asking them to make a donation for a raffle...except legally you can't sell "raffle tickets" so you provide "opportunity tickets" in exchange for a donation.

• Like 1

Guest PO14Life
16 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I pray that you will find out next week Future Chief. Until then......this Chief lips are sealed!!!

Ok ok, I'll try and sit and wait patiently for a S. :)