Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

Tony

FY18 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

204 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Donkey Racer said:

It is true that arrguous duty and deployments have been valued in the past. The precepts are a great tool to use in order to recognize what the board is looking for in your record.

However, the board can not see that you had the opportunity to deploy and did not unless it is obvious in your evals. Leadership remains the key piece in the puzzle. But of course leadership comes in all manner of forms, be it direct or indirect. Find your strengths and work on your weaknesses. Reading leadership style books helps tremendously. 21 irrefutable laws of leadership is a good start. Easy read and great insite for all leaders.

Look for trends within your rate and contact those who selected to find the differences and what you didnt have that they did.

Thank you, i will definitely look at 21 irrefutable laws of leadership. I plan to contact those that made it and masterchiefs that sat the board after my house hunting leave is over.

8 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

As was stated above there really is no way to truly know if you deployed or not other than if it is written specifically in your EVAL. I will say that from last year to this year all that is written up here is what you have earned such as PPME, JPME, USMAP, Degrees, and so on. Sailorization and what Sailors under the FPCO have accomplished is what matters the most. All of my E5's for example have already completed PPME for E7-E9 and JPME because I feel that once they put on first they should be ready to help other Sailors excel and focus their energy and strengths on leadership. @Donkey Racer made a great reading recommendation in the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. That book changed how I viewed leadership instantly. Another great book to keep you focused is The Unbeatable Mind.

Thank you chief, sailorization definitely stands out in my evals. Here at my new command there isnt much opportunity for sailorization,  only 10 first classes total and one junior PS under me at a joint command. CPO 365 is held weekly so i can take advantage of that and any other sailorization opportunities i will jump on when they come available. I plan on reading the Unbeatable Mind as well thank you for the read!

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:02 PM, HawkISback said:

I finished my JKO SEJPME.  WOOT. Besides documenting in evaluations how do we get them in our record? Thanks. 

I just sent mine in with my package. Good question though. However I will still send in my cert next year as well because I want to make sure its seen and not missed. Here is my question, is PPME and SE JPME a one time thing or should it be done each year?

18 minutes ago, Vape83 said:

I just sent mine in with my package. Good question though. However I will still send in my cert next year as well because I want to make sure its seen and not missed. Here is my question, is PPME and SE JPME a one time thing or should it be done each year?

I had a mental nightmare about redoing them.  If the date matters, only once is good. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, HawkISback said:

I had a mental nightmare about redoing them.  If the date matters, only once is good. 

:bigemo_harabe_net-76: Oh I agree! best believe! Good info but long. Just an honest question. lol!

I emailed all three ITCMs who sat the board, I ain't going to lie I was nervous hitting the send button. 

On 8/19/2016 at 9:30 AM, HawkISback said:

I emailed all three ITCMs who sat the board, I ain't going to lie I was nervous hitting the send button. 

Did you get responds from the Master Chief? I contacted all three ITCMs myself, but I didn't get any response back from them. If you got the response, how did you contacted them?

23 minutes ago, Trying to be ITC said:

Did you get responds from the Master Chief? I contacted all three ITCMs myself, but I didn't get any response back from them. If you got the response, how did you contacted them?

Just a heads up, if you are not doing so, try emailing them individually and not as a group. Group emails appear more impersonal. 

8 hours ago, Trying to be ITC said:

I emailed them as individuals like tony said, so far only one responded. But less than 24 hours later. Now I'm nervous to see what she says. 

What at she did say before I sent my file was; strive to beat COs average, documented 365 participation, PPME and  SEJPME. 

1 person likes this

Thanks @CPO_Pride247  I appreciate that. Hopefully my holding item is my evals and nothing else that I cannot control or change. 

Since I failed to make the board, I started early to get ready for next board, but when I was talking to my chiefs here in Korea, one big reason that I didn't make the board was my evaluation write up. I was able to fix this issues on my last evaluation and for my transfer evaluation, but if you could give me an advice on my evaluation is greatly appreciated.

E6 Frocking Evaluation 16MAR11 to 15NOV11 (3.14 MP)

Block 44 Community Involvement: Teen Challenge

Transfer Evaluation 16NOV11-02JUL12 (3.71 MP)

Block 44 Awarded USMAP certification, Navy Achievement Medal, GWOTEM. VOL: Thanksgiving Bingo and Orphanage in Djibouti

First Evaluation 03JUL12-15NOV-12 (3.57 MP)

Block 44: Awarded Security + Certification, NEC 2791 and Korean Service Medal

16NOV12-15NOV13 (3.86 EP)

Block 44 USMAP Certification for Computer Operator, VOL Haesimwon Orphanage monthly birthday party

16NOV13-15NOV14 (4.14 EP)

Block 44: Completed seven college courses from UMUC while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. Courses included WRTG 101S, HIST 157, ECON 201, BIOL 211, BIOL 212, IFSM 201, and CMIS 102.

16NOV14-15NOV15 (4.43 EP)

Block 44: Advanced Writing Courses 394 and  391 while maintaining a 4.0 GPA. Retained COMPTIA Security + and attained COMPTIA A+ Certification. Completed IPME, BPME, and PPME Courses.

Transfer Evaluation 15NOV16-16AUG31 (4.57 EP)

Block 44: Awarded: Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Selected as 3rd QTR SSOQ and completed BIOL 101 and SEJPME I course.

First of all sorry for the long thread, and thank you for your understanding. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Other than first 2 evaluation I was in Joint/Flag duty and I was only one evaluated by Army O6 and other than soft break out I was one of one. For Frocking Evaluation I was 2 of 2. Again thank you very much for your help and any advice will be greatly appreciated. Evaluation.docx

Two more people have joined but have yet to respond to the validation email. Some may need to whitelist NavyAdvancement.com in their email client in order to recieve the validation email. You may also need to check your spam folder. The registration process is paused until the validation email is acknowledged.

:graphics-3d-smileys-662248:

Just as a reminder. Now is a great time to work on stuff to put on your eval. and think about what to include in your letter to the board. However, don't let studying slip into the background. You can be the greatest sailor in the world. But, it does nothing to help you if you don't make board to begin with. Studying benefits you not only with the exam, but day to day operations now and after you make it.

6 people like this

49 minutes ago, OneLastDance said:

Just as a reminder. Now is a great time to work on stuff to put on your eval. and think about what to include in your letter to the board. However, don't let studying slip into the background. You can be the greatest sailor in the world. But, it does nothing to help you if you don't make board to begin with. Studying benefits you not only with the exam, but day to day operations now and after you make it.

Post of the month. BBb)

2 people like this

On 8/25/2016 at 8:19 AM, OneLastDance said:

Make sure you download your rating subtopics on NKO too.  They are right next to your BIBs.  They provide the Topics/enabling objectives of your rating exam.

1 person likes this

Going into the FY18 Board with a Welcome Aboard "P" (5 months). How does the Board view that? Previous 5 years a variation of MP/EP and LPO on all, from shift to Dept. any insight will be great. Trying to make the "3rd times a charm." 

V/r

MA1(EXW/SW)

Most of the senior personnel have said previously that the board will acknowledge it as a normal progression. 

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

You will be fine. I got the same "P" you speak of the year I was selected coming to a new command. The important thing is how the EVAL was written. How do you know you got a P already? Aren't EVALs for FCPO in November? Did someone tell you how the rankings went? Don't sweat a P only being at a new command for only 5 months. The board sees it and knows how commands are with EVALs and newly reported Sailors.

I put in for MP, we'll see how rankings go but just wanted a perspective from the khakis on that "p" possibility.

Didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but I just got resolution on my Hold status today and I made it. Thank you to the people who reached out with advice on this. Much thanks. 

5 people like this

5 hours ago, iamevilradio said:

Didn't feel like making a new thread for this, but I just got resolution on my Hold status today and I made it. Thank you to the people who reached out with advice on this. Much thanks. 

Congratulations!

1 person likes this

So I haven't been on the site in awhile just focusing on my Sailors and work. Working on my MTS  and collateral. But I wanted to ask did any one else have their CDB yet for not making Chief? I know we didn't have it where I'm at, I would've thought we would have had them by now, not sure as this was my first time. Also, I'm at a fairly mid size command where we have between 80-100 or more FCPO's. We had to have our evaluations in to the COC by middle of August. I don't like that we turn our evals in so early because if we do pick up a collateral duty or do more volunteer work, or whatever it is not on our eval. I know for certain collaterals you receive a designation or for volunteer service LOA/MOVSM but not other things. I know this is done because of ranking boards and having to go through, senior and master chiefs, and our CO leaving soon as well.

Oh I also, if any one has an example of designation letters used for the CPO365 Program, if you could attach or PM me that would be great. When I do have my CDB, I want to bring up having a CPO and a FCPO as CPO365 Training and PT Coordinator. Currently, we just have CPO's and also the designation letter will help for the board. As well as if they do decide to implement having a FCPO, it may not be on someone's evaluation in time. 

We did the CDB the same day results came out, but we are a small command. 

I recently checked into my command and i got debriefed by the CO who sat on my board. He told me i had everything I needed, MOVSM, degree, good evals, just a good record. He said what hurt me was my conversion from OS to PS. He said the board felt like i needed to be a PS1 longer cuz i only been one for 4 years (3 PS evals) but if i was a YN i would have made it. He said just sustain (sustained superior performance) and mentioned that quotas were low and it was hard to take records out and he remembered mine because i was a PG.  He told me tko eep it up, go for UPC and other collaterals and be active in CPO 365 and document involvement on the eval. I put in a request chit already for UPC, got that info from this forum, thanks everyone. Keep charging and making sailors and yourself better!

2 people like this