FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
  1.         (IND SUM)              (R/S SUM)
  2. 2010 -   3.43                       3.41                  "MP"
  3. 2011 -   3.71                       3.92                  "MP"
  4. 2012 -   4.14                       4.15                  "EP"
  5. 2013 -   2.57                       3.88                  "SP"
  6. 2014 -   3.14                       3.31                  "MP"
  7. 2015 -   3.43                       3.35                  "MP"
  8. 2016 -   4.14                       3.98                  "EP"

The bolded ones are below the average, EVEN the EP was under the average, which the CMC is not good, even though an EP.

Guest TRON828
1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

i was explained this about 4 years ago.. and I always fight for that now. even a P or MP eval should be above avg if you can manage that really says a lot to the board, the mess and CO can tell the board a lot just by some key words in the write up and the summary avg. Its a weird system but once you understand it even what looks like a EP awesome eval can show a board that they are not ready. 

Most of the time they protect the CO summary and the write up should read and tell why. My last eval was a 5 month P but read like an EP and my trait score was lowest I've had  cause CO summary was low  (3.65). 

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009
19 minutes ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:
  1.         (IND SUM)              (R/S SUM)
  2. 2010 -   3.43                       3.41                  "MP"
  3. 2011 -   3.71                       3.92                  "MP"
  4. 2012 -   4.14                       4.15                  "EP"
  5. 2013 -   2.57                       3.88                  "SP"
  6. 2014 -   3.14                       3.31                  "MP"
  7. 2015 -   3.43                       3.35                  "MP"
  8. 2016 -   4.14                       3.98                  "EP"

The bolded ones are below the average, EVEN the EP was under the average, which the CMC is not good, even though an EP.

In your 2012 eval, your 4.14 to 4.15 shouldn't hurt, right? To me that would be pretty much at r/s avg.

Guest CTRC(IW/SW/AW)
1 hour ago, Christyl said:

Thank you Chief! The failure was me coming off of a foot surgery, and that was documented in my eval, so maybe that will help! Then I went on to become the Command CFL. I HATE the zero defect Navy mentality. Its not realistic. I think we are getting away from it but there are people who believe that. I have been told it is a 5 year wait when you get a PRT failure and I hope that I can prove them wrong. 

No matter what, I will take it and move on. I will keep my head up and working hard, not for the rank but for my own pride in my work. 

That's about all you can do. I did the same and like I said, I got selected before the 5 year mark. I just had to go through the process of getting my advancement released. That was a good learning process right there.  It's not zero defect, it just makes it harder. The cream rises to the top and if it's your year, it's your year. 

Guest SeaBeeDoc
4 hours ago, TRON828 said:

Baseball and soon football will start up.. Any Miami Dolphin fans in here??:D

Talking football definitely takes the mind off...I mean I totally forgot ive

been waiting for weeks for results !!!!! :ph34r:

Die Hard Cowboys fan here! Going all the way this season! What would the best is making Chief, and both the Cowboys and the Spurs getting their sixth title!

Guest SeaBeeDoc

I heard through a friend of mine that his command says the FTS results will be out tomorrow, and most definitely will be out this week. We shall see, tick tick, tick tock

Guest Mestizo68
13 minutes ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

I heard through a friend of mine that his command says the FTS results will be out tomorrow, and most definitely will be out this week. We shall see, tick tick, tick tock

I heard that the same.

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
13 minutes ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

I sure hope so good news or bad

Guest SeaBeeDoc

I am honestly trying not to get my hopes up, I have also already pulled my Bibs for next cycle. I have one , 1of 1 MP which will drop off next year, the only thing else that can be a distacter is my TPA has not moved up nor has it moved down and it has remained the same the last to cycles. However it is still been higher than the CO's average. How much weight does sustain performance factor in? My rate dropped from 19% to 12% this cycle and they are only selecting 10. That being said I have had both encouraging and discouraging remarks when having my package reviewed. So it's anyone's guess ? 

Guest PSjg78
25 minutes ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

I sure hope so good news or bad

Im hearing the timeline should be out tomorrow sometime and results Wednesday but we shall see... I just really hope its this week....

Guest HI_IT

I posted this several pages back but now that there are more people on I'd like to ask again.  Looking for honest feedback.

I had a 1 of 1 transfer MP in 2013 but is was above the Reporting Senior’s Cumulative Average.  How bad is this?  And does being above the average really make a difference in a case like this?

3 hours ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

I'm curious to know how the board sees or grades when it comes to individual summary averages to r/s cumulative averages. I understand they look at the past 5 years (and longer if need be), but to get over that hump and hopefully get that S, do you have to be above or at r/s avg 5 years straight or can you be above or at r/s avg 3 out of the 5 years?  I've always been curious.  For instance:

1. 2013 - at r/s
  2. 2014 - above r/s (transfer)
  3. 2014 - below r/s (welcome aboard p)
  4. 2015 - above r/s
  5. 2016 - above r/s

Yay or nay?

SSP doesn't necessarily mean you're at or above average on every eval. What they want to see is upward mobility. Being below average on first eval is normal. You are expected to move above average  after your second or third year onboard. 

8 minutes ago, HI_IT said:

I posted this several pages back but now that there are more people on I'd like to ask again.  Looking for honest feedback.

I had a 1 of 1 transfer MP in 2013 but is was above the Reporting Senior’s Cumulative Average.  How bad is this?  And does being above the average really make a difference in a case like this?

A 1/1 MP typically known as air gap eval could make the board wonder why your CO chose to not award you the EP. This is career ending in Officer fitrep I am told. Not sure how it's treated with enlisted boards especially since your CO still put you above cumulative average. Mixed message to say the least.

15 minutes ago, Dogg said:

SSP doesn't necessarily mean you're at or above average on every eval. What they want to see is upward mobility. Being below average on first eval is normal. You are expected to move above average  after your second or third year onboard. 

That is how I broke out. Hopefully I have a good chance this year with the 19% we have.

Guest HI_IT
11 minutes ago, Dogg said:

A 1/1 MP typically known as air gap eval could make the board wonder why your CO chose to not award you the EP. This is career ending in Officer fitrep I am told. Not sure how it's treated with enlisted boards especially since your CO still put you above cumulative average. Mixed message to say the least.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing.  Seems bad though.

1 hour ago, HI_IT said:

10 years ago I got a 1 of 1 frocked MP, and the following year I got a 4.0 P.  Since I was transferring in January the OIC was nice enough to do a letter of extension to make it my transfer eval.  Now as for your 1 or 1 MP.  I think it depends on the write up.  Did they in the write up have justification for it being a MP instead of the usual out the door EP?

Just now, iamthewalrus016 said:

Long time creeper... Short time non-select. Third time up. 

Anyone else notice the membership was posted for the active duty board? 

Earlier this morning I spoke to a former Master Chief of mine who works in Millington and he said the AD board adjourn today vice the 21st. I didn't believe him, but I guess he was right. If membership is out, board must've adjourned.

23 minutes ago, iamthewalrus016 said:

Thats what I assumed... Only saw one Master Chief that probably hates me in the membership lol

I know one CMC and one MC who sat the board. When is it safe to ask how well or bad I did? Haha! Jk. I'll just ask after I receive the N. There I go again, being a self doubter. August 1st and 2nd is just around the corner.

12 minutes ago, iamthewalrus016 said:

Maybe the results come out a little early this year since the board let out early. I've been pretty on edge about the results and I don't even know why... I have plenty of time before its too late. 

You may be right. What if FTS/SELRES and AD results come out at the same time? Would that be possible?

Just now, iamthewalrus016 said:

All I know is I already got the bibs. I have prepared for the worst.

You and me both.

Guest Christyl
16 minutes ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

You may be right. What if FTS/SELRES and AD results come out at the same time? Would that be possible?

Omgosh. Mind blown! That would be amazing 

Guest Christyl
36 minutes ago, iamthewalrus016 said:

Maybe the results come out a little early this year since the board let out early. I've been pretty on edge about the results and I don't even know why... I have plenty of time before its too late. 

I hope too!!!

Guest GoNavy88

While I am pretty confident I will not get selected first time up with my most recent transfer eval having a closing statement, "Promote to Chief when ready."  I am curious whether or not this will add another 3-5 years to consider for SSP.  The transfer eval only covers for 5 months so it's really been bugging me.  I have an associate, MOVSM, JPME, PME, BPME, IPME and BMR for CPO as well as all the required NRTCs for my rate.  My eval write up arent too bad either, I've captured my Sailors succeeding and positions served as MWR, CPO 365, DAPA, ACFL, Sponsorship Coordinator and ESO. 

Here are my 5 years break down.

E6 Evals

Transfer EP    4.57                           R/S 3.93        1/2 TRF

Periodic EP    4.57                            R/S 3.99        no breakout, but we had 139 E6s

Frocked MP   3.86                            R/S  4.00        

E5 EP            4.71                             R/S 4.00    breakout 6 out of 30

TRF E5 EP    5.00                             R/S 4.35    breakout 1 out of 25

E5 MP           4.00                             R/S 4.11    

Guest HawkISback
1 hour ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

Earlier this morning I spoke to a former Master Chief of mine who works in Millington and he said the AD board adjourn today vice the 21st. I didn't believe him, but I guess he was right. If membership is out, board must've adjourned.

That is huge. Lends credibility to announcing it together.  If someone else beat me to it.  My bad. Lol.