FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, METOC said:

I completely agree with Chief Guns as well as your point. IMO, I think alot of these "checkmark" quantifications is coming from what we, as PO1s read in the precepts/convening orders. It's also what is drilled into our heads many times when we have CDBs: "Did you get your USMAP done? What about taking some college? You need to knock out these PME courses". However, I do believe that the vast majority of the good FCPOs out there know that it's not about you as a performer any longer; it's about those you train and mentor to take over for you.

I agree with you on what you said. It does get drilled into us with the precepts and CDBs and whatever else is thrown at us and I think that's why they took all that out of the precept. But there have also been Chiefs that have been selected and don't have a lot of the things that were in the precept or whatever else the board is looking for, like we say every year. SSP is what it's mostly all about. 

Guest SeaBeeDoc

So I heard a ugly rumor that the Reserve & FTS results maybe released at the same time as our Active Duty counterparts, has anyone heard this from their commands?

I am currently assigned to and active duty command so I am thinking that this is wrong information and am really hoping that the results come out next week because all my Chiefs keep asking if I have heard anything about my results. 

Guest TRON828

Haven't heard anything from Chiefs or anyone else at my command. Just waiting patiently like all my FTS brothers and sisters. Just wished they would hurry up so I can plan the rest of my summer.. haha.. got places to go and people to see :D

Guest OSCinthemaking
On 7/3/2017 at 8:39 PM, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

98 of us made board for OSC and they are picking 4...

Trying to stay optimistic, but....

98 made OSC, let's break that down further any recent mast cases, missing warfare pins such as ESWS, EAWS, EIWS, MTS for an instructor billet is a detractor. Failed PRTs, and jacked up records I.E. missing Eval gaps or poor write ups all play a factor. 

Are you taking challenging assignments or being a Sea duty dodger. With the exception of limdu, sea shore rotation should go according to plan. What did your people do? Is it documented? 

At the end of the day if you put your best foot forward, take care of your sailors, the rest will fall in place. 

I'm sure I am not the only one who has gone back in forth in my head, wondering what I could have submitted or changes with my package. 

Start looking ahead now and prep yourself for that upcoming Eval just in case you are a non select. The grind should never stop. Good luck to all my brothers and sisters.

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
6 hours ago, OSCinthemaking said:

98 made OSC, let's break that down further any recent mast cases, missing warfare pins such as ESWS, EAWS, EIWS, MTS for an instructor billet is a detractor. Failed PRTs, and jacked up records I.E. missing Eval gaps or poor write ups all play a factor. 

Are you taking challenging assignments or being a Sea duty dodger. With the exception of limdu, sea shore rotation should go according to plan. What did your people do? Is it documented? 

At the end of the day if you put your best foot forward, take care of your sailors, the rest will fall in place. 

I'm sure I am not the only one who has gone back in forth in my head, wondering what I could have submitted or changes with my package. 

Start looking ahead now and prep yourself for that upcoming Eval just in case you are a non select. The grind should never stop. Good luck to all my brothers and sisters.

I wasn't going to get into the one upping but here is what I have to bring to the table, off the top of my head:

I am the SEL of my Air Det

2 warfare pins (both while fwd deployed)

I am an MTS, CCC, and CFL

I've been 4x to the middle east-twice as an OS2 and twice as OS1 (BOG) and twice LPO at sea.

I earned an ARCOM, AAM, 2 NAM's and a couple of FLOC's.

I am a core instructor for PO indoc each cycle

I've never failed a PRT, completed the PPME, and am in college working on my BSM.

That said, yes, I am SELRES. The AD tend to cast judgement and that's fine. I have more AD time than RES time and more years in a combat zone than most have time in the Navy. Maybe my point was missed in my initial postings. I am frustrated that no reasons are given as to WHY you are not selected. If you fail a test, you are given the results so that you know where your deficiencies are. Not so with the E-7 board.

Guest DeepseaSeabee
58 minutes ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

I wasn't going to get into the one upping but here is what I have to bring to the table, off the top of my head:

I've been 4x to the middle east-twice as an OS2 and twice as OS1 (BOG) and twice LPO at sea.

I've never failed a PRT, completed the PPME, and am in college working on my BSM.

That said, yes, I am SELRES. The AD tend to cast judgement and that's fine. I have more AD time than RES time and more years in a combat zone than most have time in the Navy. Maybe my point was missed in my initial postings. I am frustrated that no reasons are given as to WHY you are not selected. If you fail a test, you are given the results so that you know where your deficiencies are. Not so with the E-7 board.

This is not an answer. Only a thought. I got into a conversation with a family member about this specific topic a couple of years back. The conversation I got into  was what if out of a 100 personnel 1 being the best 100 being the least favorable. You were ranked 92 and you actually saw that ranking. You'd lose hope and not work as hard the next year because you're too far away from being selected. I'm not saying that's the reason they don't post where you ranked or what you were missing to be competitive but, I could see people being deterred(or encouraged) if they knew where they ranked.

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)

If I KNEW I was #92 out of 100 I would be more encouraged.

The next time they might make 10 or 12 and I would know that I am in the running...

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)

I'm just a little bummed this cycle, I am rolling in on an EP and SEL on my eval and they are making 4. Last year they made 22.

Guest PSjg78
23 minutes ago, IS1(IW/SW/AW/EXW) said:

I hope I make it this time...my last CDB they said I'd need to build a time machine and kill baby Hitler to achieve anything more.  I just wish all my sailors weren't so accomplished, because I'm running out of new things to brag on them about!

Im in the same boat hahahah we shall see what happens they say !!!! Come on 11th!!!!! Good luck man!

Guest osiris0107

Well it's Friday, so hopefully everyone has a good weekend and realizes the decision is now in "their" hands.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
6 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Good Morning to all fellow firsts anxiously waiting like myself. 

Spoke to a very close friend and Chief last night, he attended a Regional Mess meeting and the CMC's say the 11th is the date to expect results. That's the word on the street, so i think we can all rest easy for the weekend. 

Good luck to everyone, I know this feeling is killing some of us, this is my 8th time up so the whole thing gets to me more and more each year. 

Papasmurf, it is my 8th time too, I have tried not to let it bother me in some respect I wish I was not even trying to guess when the results were coming out and hoping I just get the news as a welcome surprise, but on other hand knowing when to expect the results helps to know how to plan  the rest of  my summer.

Guest navyordie123
1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

I totally get it and feel the same. Im trying to not only plan my summer but rest of the year, Always looking forward at next steps as well as test and board next year. So yes its frustrating but patience is a virtue. Hard to balance it all with regular life as well, I sometimes think it would be easier on active duty, only in the sense that reservist have full time civ careers plus military career. Its tough to balance it all.

I can't imagine how hard that it must be having to work a regular job and do the NAVY job as well. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that but on the plus side you have a job were you can take your mind off of the results as hard as it may be to do so. When AD Navy goes to work it seems like we are reminded of the results all the time cause someone is always bringing it up. Hope that the results come out soon for y'all. I know y'all have been waiting for way to long as it is.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

I totally get it and feel the same. Im trying to not only plan my summer but rest of the year, Always looking forward at next steps as well as test and board next year. So yes its frustrating but patience is a virtue. Hard to balance it all with regular life as well, I sometimes think it would be easier on active duty, only in the sense that reservist have full time civ careers plus military career. Its tough to balance it all.

I am FTS and having been a reservist I agree it is a lot easier, trying to explain to a civilian you need off or trying to leave work early can be difficult trying to get them to understand the importance of phase II could be difficult. At least those of us on Active Duty or FTS don't have to deal with that aspect.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
18 minutes ago, navyordie123 said:

I can't imagine how hard that it must be having to work a regular job and do the NAVY job as well. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that but on the plus side you have a job were you can take your mind off of the results as hard as it may be to do so. When AD Navy goes to work it seems like we are reminded of the results all the time cause someone is always bringing it up. Hope that the results come out soon for y'all. I know y'all have been waiting for way to long as it is.

So true, and as a FTS at a Active Duty/ REGNAV command, sometimes you have to remind them that your results are coming out soon and they should be on the lookout for them. My first year here the TRIAD was not tracking at all and I had to wait until the results were posted online, I was the one that had to tell them I did not get selected. I was ticked, I told them that even though I am FTS I was still one of their Sailors and that was a pretty sad way to have to find out. Since the entire  Chief's Mess are constantly reminding  me. and bringing it up LOL. 

Guest OSCinthemaking
20 hours ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

I feel your pain, there is never a clear cut answer into what was the deciding factor into you not getting selected. If I am not selected it will be upsetting but if it is not my time, I will try harder next year. This is what I submitted with my ltb. 

Business Management Bachelors , AAWC, CICWO, Piloting and Shipping Officer. Interface Control Officer, Movsm, Ppme, Jpme. 

My Evals were not all breakouts however showed sailorization, leadership, and results. 

No prt failures. 

Guest OS1(SW/EXW)
On 7/8/2017 at 3:51 AM, OSCinthemaking said:

This is what I submitted with my ltb. 

Business Management Bachelors , AAWC, CICWO, Piloting and Shipping Officer. Interface Control Officer, Movsm, Ppme, Jpme. 

My Evals were not all breakouts however showed sailorization, leadership, and results. 

No prt failures. 

Please tell me you are AD, I don't want to compete against ^^ THAT ^^ :wacko:

Good luck OS1, this might be the year for you! The quotas for AD are really good this cycle, unlike for us on "the dark side"

Guest DeepseaSeabee

Please take time to talk with your Shipmates, Seabee buddies, brothers and Sisters. My detachment lost a brother yesterday. He was enthusiastic, personable and a sponge for knowledge. A joy to be around. He will be sorely missed!

Guest navyordie123
3 hours ago, DeepseaSeabee said:

Please take time to talk with your Shipmates, Seabee buddies, brothers and Sisters. My detachment lost a brother yesterday. He was enthusiastic, personable and a sponge for knowledge. A joy to be around. He will be sorely missed!

Prayers for his family and your command. My deepest sympathies. 

Guest OSCinthemaking
7 hours ago, OS1(SW/EXW) said:

Please tell me you are AD, I don't want to compete against ^^ THAT ^^ :wacko:

Good luck OS1, this might be the year for you! The quotas for AD are really good this cycle, unlike for us on "the dark side"

Yeah I'm AD lol good luck to you as well. Hopefully this is both of our year.

Guest SeaBeeDoc
15 hours ago, DeepseaSeabee said:

Sorry for your loss, the HM community loss a great Navy Chief this week too.

11 hours ago, OSCinthemaking said:

Yeah I'm AD lol good luck to you as well. Hopefully this is both of our year.

Guest SeaBeeDoc

Just throwing out a question? I am already working on my eval, and I thought I had a great closing bullet but I was told by one of my Chiefs that it was a promotable bullet. Any suggestions on a great EP bullet?

19 minutes ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

Just throwing out a question? I am already working on my eval, and I thought I had a great closing bullet but I was told by one of my Chiefs that it was a promotable bullet. Any suggestions on a great EP bullet?

What was the bullet

Guest BOATSNUGGYD

Has anyone seen oir heard of a timeline for the fts/selres cpo timeline for when the are releasing the selections to the triad