Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

Tony

FY18 Chief Selection Board

Rate this topic

1,571 posts in this topic

Yes I have I have some great things to talk about.

Deptartment LPO led 122 sailors, 1 SSOY, 1 JSOY, 2 Bachelor's Degrees, 67 ESWS, 41 ESWS, 7 EIWS, 98 advancement and retention. Efforts resulted in Sucessful Refueling and Complex Ovehual, Deck certification, and CART lll. That one bullet was vaguely put ima tighten it up. 

1 person likes this

Nope. Working on it now seems presumptuous. Plus I'm in a PhD program that eats up most of my time. 

3 hours ago, sailormoon said:

Nope. Working on it now seems presumptuous. Plus I'm in a PhD program that eats up most of my time. 

I agree, but my command wants  FCPO evals in three weeks.

PhD program, that's very impressive. Good luck to you, as I can imagine how strenuous the program could be.

I'm currently taking one class, towards my Masters Degree. I'm also planning to take one class next semester. Hopefully, if I do pick up I can balance going through season and school work. 

Good Luck everyone!  Quotas look great.

2 people like this

Has anyone seen the board membership for this year's board? I seen that the board membership was encl 1 in the convening order but maybe they're waiting until after results are posted since the MCPO board debacle.

33 minutes ago, IS1_645X said:

Has anyone seen the board membership for this year's board? I seen that the board membership was encl 1 in the convening order but maybe they're waiting until after results are posted since the MCPO board debacle.

They won't release until the board has adjourned now.  

Happy holidays everyone! Havent posted here in a while, but quotas are looking good for active duty. For me as PS, they making 64 out of 277. I hope i am one of the chosen. Last year humbled me, cuz i had everyone including chiefs say i was a shoe in to make it first time up. This year i am keeping my head down, grinding and continuing to improve sailors and myself, if its meant to be it will happen. Good luck everyone!

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, IS1_645X said:

They won't release until the board has adjourned now.  

Okay thanks

Eval done.. just adding up numbers.. finished it last month before I went in det... think ours are due in August.. haven't seen anything from triad on when they want them... I'm waiting on those FTS CPO RESULTS :D

3 people like this

12 hours ago, TRON828 said:

Eval done.. just adding up numbers.. finished it last month before I went in det... think ours are due in August.. haven't seen anything from triad on when they want them... I'm waiting on those FTS CPO RESULTS :D

What's ur rate 

What does everyone think the likelihood of the results coming out the week of the 27th? Trying to plan a trip out of town that  weekend.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:57 AM, OSCinthemaking said:

What are some great examples of SSP? My idea of SSP is if you have the opportunity to be in a leadership position take it and run with it. You can be the greatest leader in the world but if it is not documented the board will not see that. I must say I have held WCS, and ALPO. Being in the LPO position onboard a Carrier is a true test of your leadership. I learn something new everyday, and feel that I am already acting in the capacity of the Chief. My current chief is very junior and still trying to come into his own. That goes to show you that not holding leadership positions prior to making chief can make it difficult to lead. I ensure that I am there to support him by stepping in where needed. 

One thing that I do not like is both Chiefs and Officers come to me about where my chief lacks. That should be discussed with him to guide him, not the LPO. My Dept Head went as far as to say he wants me to be the Chief, I was a little taken back. However, I did not engage in dragging him in the dirt, I listened and stated that it takes time but he will find his way.

I made First class on shore duty in Sep 2014, my first ranked eval was a P. I had a transfer EP in May 2016. Checked on board in June 2016 my first ranked eval covered a 5 month span, it was a really good write up. I am hoping that this will be time to put on those anchors. 

Let me clear this ssp cloud. SSP is determined in your PSR; not the evaluation write up. If you make it in the tank, the panel will look at your averages as compared to your peers or summary group and the reporting senior cumulative average. You are considered a sustained superior performer if your averages are at or above summary group averages and reporting senior cumulative average most of the time. You will not be selected if you are constantly below these averages regardless of how your eval  is written. The reporting seniors use their averages  to send a clear message to selection boards. In some cases, your average may be lower because the reporting senior wants to reset the average, but this must be mentioned in the evaluation to avoid confusion. A lot of members only care about the EP block especially on 1/1 or transfer eval. If you received an EP but your average is lower than the cumulative average, that's not good at all. That is clear message to the boards that you are not there yet. The bottom line is, SSP does not mean how many quals or degrees you have; rather, it's just how you fall in traffic in terms of averages. I hope this helps clarify this myth.

Disclosure: I have not sat a selection board, but a mentor of mine who has sat numerous boards explained this to when I was applying for LDO.

1 person likes this

Good luck to all awaiting results. It's been a while but I am back. Thanks Tony for keeping my account. Where are my FTS PSs?

2 people like this

98 of us made board for OSC and they are picking 4...

Trying to stay optimistic, but....

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, Dogg said:

Good luck to all awaiting results. It's been a while but I am back. Thanks Tony for keeping my account. Where are my FTS PSs?

No problem Dogg 

:D

FTS BM right here

3 hours ago, Dogg said:

Let me clear this ssp cloud. SSP is determined in your PSR; not the evaluation write up. If you make it in the tank, the panel will look at your averages as compared to your peers or summary group and the reporting senior cumulative average. You are considered a sustained superior performer if your averages are at or above summary group averages and reporting senior cumulative average most of the time. You will not be selected if you are constantly below these averages regardless of how your eval  is written. The reporting seniors use their averages  to send a clear message to selection boards. In some cases, your average may be lower because the reporting senior wants to reset the average, but this must be mentioned in the evaluation to avoid confusion. A lot of members only care about the EP block especially on 1/1 or transfer eval. If you received an EP but your average is lower than the cumulative average, that's not good at all. That is clear message to the boards that you are not there yet. The bottom line is, SSP does not mean how many quals or degrees you have; rather, it's just how you fall in traffic in terms of averages. I hope this helps clarify this myth.

Disclosure: I have not sat a selection board, but a mentor of mine who has sat numerous boards explained this to when I was applying for LDO.

That's really interesting.  Thanks for the insight. 

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker - first time poster. I was hoping to get some feedback re: my PMA vs. summary group. Bottom line: As of now, I only have one eval (most recent) that is above the CO's average. However, the majority of my E6 evals, I was in a highly selective and arduous special duty assignment. In block 28, it does annotate that members of the command are "extensively pre-screened and among the top performers in the Navy" on these evals. However, as a frocked/junior E6, the command was not willing to allow me to break out as I was not even eligible for CPO at the time. IMO, my block 43s have read well as I have always tried to progress IAW the CPO precept. I've completed my AA, JPME, PPME, USMAP, sustained COMREL, standing member of numerous IW and EXW boards, numerous personal awards including a JCOM, & three combat deployments. My last year of the assignment, I was the div LPO but that was annotated on my goodbye EP (1/1) eval. In the last two years (which I've been CPO-eligible), I received a check-in P but was shortly thereafter promoted to detachment LPO, became the regional CPO365 coordinator and FCPOA President, as well as been SOQ twice in the last 18 months. I finally broke out as the #1 MP this year (12/55). I say all this, not to blast out my brag sheet, but give some idea of where I'm at professionally despite a majority of below sum group avg. E6 evals. In this case, my PSR really makes me nervous -- because looking at that w/o any context, I read as a below-average Sailor. I've talked to several CPOs who have given me answers across the spectrum with no real consensus. However, since there seems to be a ton of experience in this forum, I was hoping that an old salt in the group could provide some advice/guidance as to how the CPO board may look at a Sailor under these circumstances. Thank you in advance.

10 hours ago, BOATSNUGGYD said:

FTS BM right here

Good luck Boats. BM is one of the hottest ratings right now across the boards.

3 hours ago, METOC said:

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker - first time poster. I was hoping to get some feedback re: my PMA vs. summary group. Bottom line: As of now, I only have one eval (most recent) that is above the CO's average. However, the majority of my E6 evals, I was in a highly selective and arduous special duty assignment. In block 28, it does annotate that members of the command are "extensively pre-screened and among the top performers in the Navy" on these evals. However, as a frocked/junior E6, the command was not willing to allow me to break out as I was not even eligible for CPO at the time. IMO, my block 43s have read well as I have always tried to progress IAW the CPO precept. I've completed my AA, JPME, PPME, USMAP, sustained COMREL, standing member of numerous IW and EXW boards, numerous personal awards including a JCOM, & three combat deployments. My last year of the assignment, I was the div LPO but that was annotated on my goodbye EP (1/1) eval. In the last two years (which I've been CPO-eligible), I received a check-in P but was shortly thereafter promoted to detachment LPO, became the regional CPO365 coordinator and FCPOA President, as well as been SOQ twice in the last 18 months. I finally broke out as the #1 MP this year (12/55). I say all this, not to blast out my brag sheet, but give some idea of where I'm at professionally despite a majority of below sum group avg. E6 evals. In this case, my PSR really makes me nervous -- because looking at that w/o any context, I read as a below-average Sailor. I've talked to several CPOs who have given me answers across the spectrum with no real consensus. However, since there seems to be a ton of experience in this forum, I was hoping that an old salt in the group could provide some advice/guidance as to how the CPO board may look at a Sailor under these circumstances. Thank you in advance.

METOC, it all depends on the competition. If you read my post, I said it is good to be at or above summary group and reporting senior cumulative average MOST of the time; not necessarily all the time. The ultimate factor is the ability to show upward movement in your averages. A "P" eval with an above average tells the board that you are in the game, but just got stuck in timing. Anytime a reporting senior places you at or above his/her average, they are telling the selection board that you are qualified for advancement. The reason I wrote this is because a lot of time, some members wonder why they are not selected even though they have numerous EPs especially 1/1s and transfer EPs. Since you are not competing with any one on a 1/1 or transfer eval, the board will look at where you fall in reporting senior's cumulative average. There's a saying that Evals  are written sometimes to please members, but the averages are written to the selection board.It's always a good idea to know your reporting senior' average and what it takes to be at or above. When you check on board or any time you have a new CO, ask them. If you are wondering why a lot of members get selected without a single EP, it's because their averages tell the whole story. I can use myself as an example. When I made Chief, my evals were E5: MP, MP, EP(transfer), E6: MP (frocking ), MP, EP. All my averages were at or above.

5 hours ago, METOC said:

Hello everyone,

I was an augmentee I believe to this duty. Anywhooo, the USN oftentimes looks at expeditionary navy like we are shirking.  I literally had CENTCOM's CMC say if she was sitting the board she would wonder what I was hiding from, this was while I was on my 2 of three IAs.  At the time this made me extremely angry, it just makes me sad.  I am not a careerist mindset, I would go back to Afghanistan tomorrow if I could. If this is a career killer, perhaps I'm not in the right field. My current command has given me a lot of opportunities to hold positions responsibility.    It would appear that the psr makes sense, the board does look at it, I wasn't sure how until dogg said yesterday.   But in either case good luck. 

1 hour ago, Dogg said:

METOC, it all depends on the competition. If you read my post, I said it is good to be at or above summary group and reporting senior cumulative average MOST of the time; not necessarily all the time. The ultimate factor is the ability to show upward movement in your averages. A "P" eval with an above average tells the board that you are in the game, but just got stuck in timing. Anytime a reporting senior places you at or above his/her average, they are telling the selection board that you are qualified for advancement. The reason I wrote this is because a lot of time, some members wonder why they are not selected even though they have numerous EPs especially 1/1s and transfer EPs. Since you are not competing with any one on a 1/1 or transfer eval, the board will look at where you fall in reporting senior's cumulative average. There's a saying that Evals  are written sometimes to please members, but the averages are written to the selection board.It's always a good idea to know your reporting senior' average and what it takes to be at or above. When you check on board or any time you have a new CO, ask them. If you are wondering why a lot of members get selected without a single EP, it's because their averages tell the whole story. I can use myself as an example. When I made Chief, my evals were E5: MP, MP, EP(transfer), E6: MP (frocking ), MP, EP. All my averages were at or above.

During an all hands call with VADM Burke he alluded to the fact about the major changes to the evaluations coming in the next year.  He also does not sound like a fan of the selection board process.  

26 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

During an all hands call with VADM Burke he alluded to the fact about the major changes to the evaluations coming in the next year.  He also does not sound like a fan of the selection board process.  

After being up 4 times, I am not much of a fan either.

The area where the board falls short, I believe, is that you never know WHY you weren't selected. Was it a gap in your evals? Were you missing PPME, MTS, college, etc? The board changes what it focuses on each year or two it seems, and it's hard to check ALL the boxes for what they are looking for. 

I was told a gap in our evals gets your package tossed pretty much right out of the gate as well as poor Admin housekeeping.

It would be nice to know why one isn't picked up, so you can correct the error. If you have some admin error that you missed, as well as the 20 Khaki that look at your package, your error will be there year after year and you will sit right where you are.

1 hour ago, Dogg said:

Correct. I was a FCPO for 7 years before i made Chief. I never had EP periodic eval. Two transfer EPs. All my periodic's was MP's including a welcome aboard MP. But all of them except for one had a breakout. But if you read my write ups especially the opening and closing statements, you would see why i was selected. And don't underestimate block 41. As a FCPO you want to see CPO and LCPO AT SEA in those blocks. That's huge. 

1 person likes this