FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest SeaBeeDoc
15 minutes ago, LSHARP said:

The train of thought is they look at the last 5 years worth of Evals. But if it's in your OMPF it's fair game. 

You are correct, they usually will only go past 5 years if they have two that are too close and they looking for info to determine who they pick.

The board can see everything in OMPF. However, they should only grade off the last five years. If they feel there is tie between two sailors, it wouldn't surprise me if they would go back before five years for a tie breaker. 

Guest DeepSea_IDC
2 hours ago, SeaBeeDoc said:

You are correct, they usually will only go past 5 years if they have two that are too close and they looking for info to determine who they pick.

The board can go back as far as they want and they usually go back more than what you'd expect. A sailor on a 1 year IA may have a 1 of 1 eval followed by a NOB etc. The board may look back further for SSP. Or they may want to check for MTS on a previous instructor tour since it isn't noted on the current one - if a sailor has done multiple instructor tours. (Usually not the best idea to have board members searching for thing for you though). These are just examples, but not all that uncommon.

The 5 year thing is used for certain circumstances e.g. can't be seen negatively for a NJP over 5 years ago. Things like history of assignments is seen through your entire career. As mentioned above, if it's in your OMPF, it is visible.

Guest OSCinthemaking

Thanks for the insight everyone I guess it's on a case by case basis. I am just trying to make sure everyone is informed. I help my brothers and sisters out when I have info, we all eat over here. 

Guest NavyChic

This might be a dumb question but does the board know if it's your second or third time up? If so, how? 

Guest hayes
52 minutes ago, NavyChic said:

This might be a dumb question but does the board know if it's your second or third time up? If so, how? 

Not sure if they can tell how many times you've been board eligible, but it's pretty easy to figure out how long you've been a first class by looking at your evals.

Guest NavyChic

When your on duty working on your eval because your command, likes for the FCPO to turn in evals four months early haha even non-board eligible.

For all board eligible, have you all started working on what will hopefully be a close out eval? 

Guest OSCinthemaking

Yes I have I have some great things to talk about.

Deptartment LPO led 122 sailors, 1 SSOY, 1 JSOY, 2 Bachelor's Degrees, 67 ESWS, 41 ESWS, 7 EIWS, 98 advancement and retention. Efforts resulted in Sucessful Refueling and Complex Ovehual, Deck certification, and CART lll. That one bullet was vaguely put ima tighten it up. 

Guest NavyChic

3 hours ago, sailormoon said:

Nope. Working on it now seems presumptuous. Plus I'm in a PhD program that eats up most of my time. 

I agree, but my command wants  FCPO evals in three weeks.

PhD program, that's very impressive. Good luck to you, as I can imagine how strenuous the program could be.

I'm currently taking one class, towards my Masters Degree. I'm also planning to take one class next semester. Hopefully, if I do pick up I can balance going through season and school work. 

Guest IS1_645X

Has anyone seen the board membership for this year's board? I seen that the board membership was encl 1 in the convening order but maybe they're waiting until after results are posted since the MCPO board debacle.

Guest HawkISback
33 minutes ago, IS1_645X said:

Has anyone seen the board membership for this year's board? I seen that the board membership was encl 1 in the convening order but maybe they're waiting until after results are posted since the MCPO board debacle.

They won't release until the board has adjourned now.  

Guest Admin_warrior

Happy holidays everyone! Havent posted here in a while, but quotas are looking good for active duty. For me as PS, they making 64 out of 277. I hope i am one of the chosen. Last year humbled me, cuz i had everyone including chiefs say i was a shoe in to make it first time up. This year i am keeping my head down, grinding and continuing to improve sailors and myself, if its meant to be it will happen. Good luck everyone!

Guest HawkISback
34 minutes ago, IS1_645X said:

They won't release until the board has adjourned now.  

Guest TRON828

Eval done.. just adding up numbers.. finished it last month before I went in det... think ours are due in August.. haven't seen anything from triad on when they want them... I'm waiting on those FTS CPO RESULTS :D

Guest BOATSNUGGYD
12 hours ago, TRON828 said:

Eval done.. just adding up numbers.. finished it last month before I went in det... think ours are due in August.. haven't seen anything from triad on when they want them... I'm waiting on those FTS CPO RESULTS :D

What's ur rate 

Guest osiris0107

What does everyone think the likelihood of the results coming out the week of the 27th? Trying to plan a trip out of town that  weekend.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:57 AM, OSCinthemaking said:

What are some great examples of SSP? My idea of SSP is if you have the opportunity to be in a leadership position take it and run with it. You can be the greatest leader in the world but if it is not documented the board will not see that. I must say I have held WCS, and ALPO. Being in the LPO position onboard a Carrier is a true test of your leadership. I learn something new everyday, and feel that I am already acting in the capacity of the Chief. My current chief is very junior and still trying to come into his own. That goes to show you that not holding leadership positions prior to making chief can make it difficult to lead. I ensure that I am there to support him by stepping in where needed. 

One thing that I do not like is both Chiefs and Officers come to me about where my chief lacks. That should be discussed with him to guide him, not the LPO. My Dept Head went as far as to say he wants me to be the Chief, I was a little taken back. However, I did not engage in dragging him in the dirt, I listened and stated that it takes time but he will find his way.

I made First class on shore duty in Sep 2014, my first ranked eval was a P. I had a transfer EP in May 2016. Checked on board in June 2016 my first ranked eval covered a 5 month span, it was a really good write up. I am hoping that this will be time to put on those anchors. 

Let me clear this ssp cloud. SSP is determined in your PSR; not the evaluation write up. If you make it in the tank, the panel will look at your averages as compared to your peers or summary group and the reporting senior cumulative average. You are considered a sustained superior performer if your averages are at or above summary group averages and reporting senior cumulative average most of the time. You will not be selected if you are constantly below these averages regardless of how your eval  is written. The reporting seniors use their averages  to send a clear message to selection boards. In some cases, your average may be lower because the reporting senior wants to reset the average, but this must be mentioned in the evaluation to avoid confusion. A lot of members only care about the EP block especially on 1/1 or transfer eval. If you received an EP but your average is lower than the cumulative average, that's not good at all. That is clear message to the boards that you are not there yet. The bottom line is, SSP does not mean how many quals or degrees you have; rather, it's just how you fall in traffic in terms of averages. I hope this helps clarify this myth.

Disclosure: I have not sat a selection board, but a mentor of mine who has sat numerous boards explained this to when I was applying for LDO.

Good luck to all awaiting results. It's been a while but I am back. Thanks Tony for keeping my account. Where are my FTS PSs?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dogg said:

Good luck to all awaiting results. It's been a while but I am back. Thanks Tony for keeping my account. Where are my FTS PSs?

No problem Dogg 

:D