FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

Once in a while I'll go back and read a lot of the posts from the FY17 Chief Selection Board forum. It made it through 119 pages. Wow! Lots of great info! I wonder if this forum will be that long? Haha! Monday is almost here for us AD folks. I'm hoping the IT quotas go back up. Speaking of which, are there any of my IT brothers or sisters in here?

Good luck to all of our FTS brothers and sisters in here. I hope y'all get that "S"!

Guest NavySAR
3 hours ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

Once in a while I'll go back and read a lot of the posts from the FY17 Chief Selection Board forum. It made it through 119 pages. Wow! Lots of great info! I wonder if this forum will be that long? Haha! Monday is almost here for us AD folks. I'm hoping the IT quotas go back up. Speaking of which, are there any of my IT brothers or sisters in here?

Good luck to all of our FTS brothers and sisters in here. I hope y'all get that "S"!

Not an IT, but I learned a lot from you guys getting my IW. You guys are underrated for all the stuff you do!

Guest PSjg78
9 hours ago, NavySAR said:

Everyone still thinking 26th for AD Quotas?

They aren't releasing membership/quotas til the end unless they release them like they did for our FTS guys separate.. which would be great ... 

Guest PSjg78
On 6/23/2017 at 2:51 PM, quester37 said:

Patiently?  I wish I was but I am headed to 10 days of Scout Camp with the kids.  10 days! In the MO wilderness...  Going to go crazy not being able to check everything.  Bartle better be worth it this year....

I would die hahaha .... yeah this year is different for me ... I'm really not stressing at all whatsoever... I don't wanna get the hopes and anxiety up ... I've finally come to terms with just letting it be .. good or bad ... the man upstairs is in control :)

9 hours ago, NavySAR said:

Everyone still thinking 26th for AD Quotas?

I'm betting on the 26th or 27th and membership release when the board adjourns.

Guest HawkISback

ITJuan,

I am an IT, I hope IT would be like 100%  LoL.  I am heavy on the expeditionary side of the house.  I think this is what will prevent me yet again this from being selected.  It really gets to be disheartening after a while.  I am like PS, I was super excited and thought last year was the year.  I am not thinking that way this year, I am more enjoying the possibility of being promoted this year, until they say the big N again.  I was going through SoY at ISIC level, and the MC`s were asking why I was not a ITC, I wanted to say you tell me!

22 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

ITJuan,

I am an IT, I hope IT would be like 100%  LoL.  I am heavy on the expeditionary side of the house.  I think this is what will prevent me yet again this from being selected.  It really gets to be disheartening after a while.  I am like PS, I was super excited and thought last year was the year.  I am not thinking that way this year, I am more enjoying the possibility of being promoted this year, until they say the big N again.  I was going through SoY at ISIC level, and the MC`s were asking why I was not a ITC, I wanted to say you tell me!

I know what you mean. I thought last year was my year, but it was also my first time up. I'm pretty much late in the game, but I blame nobody but myself for not studying the past several years. You were SOY for your command and still didn't make it? Congrats and what a bummer! I've read post where there are SOY's/SOQ's that still don't get picked up and I wonder why. You would think,SSOYs/SSOQ have a great chance at picking up for going up and winning. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I was SSOQ this past quarter on my ship (LHD) and submitted my cert along with my MOVSM along with other things. I wonder how heavy those play (SSOY/SSOQ, MTS, MOVSM, ATTWO, JPME, PPME, etc. etc) when it comes to the board. Our percentage dropped last cycle, I hope it goes back up.

Guest HawkISback
24 minutes ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

I know what you mean. I thought last year was my year, but it was also my first time up. I'm pretty much late in the game, but I blame nobody but myself for not studying the past several years. You were SOY for your command and still didn't make it? Congrats and what a bummer! I've read post where there are SOY's/SOQ's that still don't get picked up and I wonder why. You would think,SSOYs/SSOQ have a great chance at picking up for going up and winning. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I was SSOQ this past quarter on my ship (LHD) and submitted my cert along with my MOVSM along with other things. I wonder how heavy those play (SSOY/SSOQ, MTS, MOVSM, ATTWO, JPME, PPME, etc. etc) when it comes to the board. Our percentage dropped last cycle, I hope it goes back up.

Brother,

I am in the same boat, I wasted my early years on partying, at least in terms of professional endeavors.  I won two years in a row at my command and immediate ISIC level, went on to Force level, losing both times.  The first was likely due to bad boardsmanship, second time I was better at the board but weak early evals hurt.  This is a short rundown of my career.  2X DMSM, 1 JCOM, 2 COM, 1 JSAM, 1 NAM, 1X MOVSM, IW/SW/EXW, Associates within 10 classes of bachelors and still going, USMAP cert, OPME, PPME, JPME, CFL, with zero failures in 2 years for my command, CMEO, CCC, regional SAPR watchstander, organized command community volunteer events, INDOC coordinator.  But I do not have the at sea quals, which is possibly the most disheartening thing to be held against me, if I can work in Afghanistan or in a forward environment, it should be assumed that I can succeed at sea.  It is all about the heart of each individual.  We will see, at least with the HYT change I can get some of these quals before i retire.   

4 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

Brother,

I am in the same boat, I wasted my early years on partying, at least in terms of professional endeavors.  I won two years in a row at my command and immediate ISIC level, went on to Force level, losing both times.  The first was likely due to bad boardsmanship, second time I was better at the board but weak early evals hurt.  This is a short rundown of my career.  2X DMSM, 1 JCOM, 2 COM, 1 JSAM, 1 NAM, 1X MOVSM, IW/SW/EXW, Associates within 10 classes of bachelors and still going, USMAP cert, OPME, PPME, JPME, CFL, with zero failures in 2 years for my command, CMEO, CCC, regional SAPR watchstander, organized command community volunteer events, INDOC coordinator.  But I do not have the at sea quals, which is possibly the most disheartening thing to be held against me, if I can work in Afghanistan or in a forward environment, it should be assumed that I can succeed at sea.  It is all about the heart of each individual.  We will see, at least with the HYT change I can get some of these quals before i retire.   

That's pretty impressive! Solid! I'm lacking with college credits, but it's going..slowly. Even with my accomplishments, certs, and collaterals, I hear the write-up play a huge roll. Sad to say, my last eval (2016) isn't as strong as the others since I was in the yards. No Sailorization compared to my 2015 eval while on deployment, but it was still way above CO's avg. That was why I had to include in my LTB my SSOQ, MTS, MOVSM, ATTWO, Air pin, ACFL designation letter, PPME, SEJPME and my page 4 with a lot of my quals. I hope those out weigh my recent eval write up, but I strongly doubt it. I have two more looks (this one and next cycle), before I hit my 20. I'm not sure if I'll be doing 22 with the new HYT.

Guest HawkISback

I thought we did not have a choice in the HYT, if our retirement date was past 1Jan2018?  Your record seems strong too, however as we are both IT1`s that is just our opinion.  HAHAH  I wrote one of the ITCMs who sat last year, after reviewing my record after the board she did not speak highly of my chances.  I have added in some of that I listed this year, but I am not sure how much it will matter.  I hit 20 in 18 months, now I will get a full three years at sea to try one more go.  

11 minutes ago, HawkISback said:

I thought we did not have a choice in the HYT, if our retirement date was past 1Jan2018?  Your record seems strong too, however as we are both IT1`s that is just our opinion.  HAHAH  I wrote one of the ITCMs who sat last year, after reviewing my record after the board she did not speak highly of my chances.  I have added in some of that I listed this year, but I am not sure how much it will matter.  I hit 20 in 18 months, now I will get a full three years at sea to try one more go.  

I'll have to read it again or talk to my CCC.  Maybe I missed that part in the NAVADMIN. My EAOS in April 19, and I'll be transferring to shore duty this August. I thought I was good to do 22 if I decided to.

We had a SBE package review with a few Master Chief's on board who have sat boards this past May and they said I have a very good shot, but I think they were just being nice. Haha!

Guest HawkISback

I am taking leave to go run a 5k in my home town during release time frame.  That way I do not have to deal with the bad news while at work.  Now lets hope the results are not late.  LOL.   Good luck on the board.  

20 hours ago, HawkISback said:

I am taking leave to go run a 5k in my home town during release time frame.  That way I do not have to deal with the bad news while at work.  Now lets hope the results are not late.  LOL.   Good luck on the board.  

Good luck to you too brother. I hope this is our year.

Guest Riverine Rat

Hope we see quotas today. Funny thing is I am not as stressed this year to find our results. Just waiting and my mind does not keep coming back this like it did the last 5 times up. Guess I have made peace with the process. Still hoping for the "S" this year and wishing everyone good luck. I am just going to give it to God and He will provide.

9 minutes ago, Riverine Rat said:

Hope we see quotas today. Funny thing is I am not as stressed this year to find our results. Just waiting and my mind does not keep coming back this like it did the last 5 times up. Guess I have made peace with the process. Still hoping for the "S" this year and wishing everyone good luck. I am just going to give it to God and He will provide.

I hope you pick up that "S". I've been up since 2011, but only made board this year and last year. I never studied until I finally realized holy crap, "I'm so late in the game". Last year I thought I had a great chance especially with the write-up I had and the Sailorization, but come to find out I had so many duplicates on my OMPF and I never caught it until a Senior Chief who sat the board last year looked at my OMPF. I got all that squared away, so this year, we shall see what happens. I'm not too thrilled as I was last year and I'm sure the ITC quotas have dropped...again.

Guest PSjg78
2 hours ago, TRON828 said:

Hoping 28th for us FTS...ready to find out so I can relax...

COME ON "S":D

The nerves have finally kicked in for me too hahahah praying it's this week I'm hearing rumors next week after holiday but we shall see 

Guest Riverine Rat
2 hours ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

I hope you pick up that "S". I've been up since 2011, but only made board this year and last year. I never studied until I finally realized holy crap, "I'm so late in the game". Last year I thought I had a great chance especially with the write-up I had and the Sailorization, but come to find out I had so many duplicates on my OMPF and I never caught it until a Senior Chief who sat the board last year looked at my OMPF. I got all that squared away, so this year, we shall see what happens. I'm not too thrilled as I was last year and I'm sure the ITC quotas have dropped...again.

I hope you pick up as well. I have been told after having a lot of Chiefs, Senior, and Master Chiefs looking over my record said I have a good shot this year. But I have heard that before so I am just hoping. I have bounced around a bit starting off as and AO, Recruiting, Riverines, back to the fleet, now Recruiting again but I converted last year to NC. I have AW/EXW/SW/IDW, small craft. been LPO at Sea. US Map, JPME, PPME, good right ups on evals. good Sailorization and leadership. So we shall see how things turn out.

Guest PSjg78
54 minutes ago, TRON828 said:

I was told Wednesday.so just waiting.. I'm on leave so I'm ready to get this over with. 4th time for me..

I'm on duty starting today thru the holiday hahahah I just wanna know already ... enjoy your leave ! 

Guest PSjg78
Just now, PSjg78 said:

I'm on duty starting today thru the holiday hahahah I just wanna know already ... enjoy your leave ! 

4th time for me too !!! It's my favorite number so crossing fingers !