FY18 Chief Selection Board

Guest ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009

I've heard both sides of the house about sending a career summary letter (past 5 years). I sent one in my package for the fact I wanted to let the board know that I am the Department LPO on a big deck. I took over this position after November (eval time) so it's not in my eval and hopefully by sending a career summary letter, it doesn't hurt my chances. 

Guest TRON828
3 hours ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

I've heard both sides of the house about sending a career summary letter (past 5 years). I sent one in my package for the fact I wanted to let the board know that I am the Department LPO on a big deck. I took over this position after November (eval time) so it's not in my eval and hopefully by sending a career summary letter, it doesn't hurt my chances. 

It's up to you boss man. I was told by my COC and CMC to not waste my time with it. All I need them to see is that I did in those 5 years and it should speak for it.  I did submit 4 things with my LTB and it's infront of them to see. I had 2 MasterChief at my previous and current command that sat the board. I listen to what they told

me and hope it pays off. One thing I didnt have last year was my MOVSM. Got it this  time :D

Guest ¡Viva!
On 6/6/2017 at 5:49 PM, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

Why would it hurt your chances?  I was told by one Chief who observed the board.  The board does not take points off, only totals the points. 

Guest Butter Star
12 hours ago, ¡Viva! said:

Why would it hurt your chances?  I was told by one Chief who observed the board.  The board does not take points off, only totals the points. 

10 hours ago, Donkey Racer said:

True,  points are only totalled. If your career summary highlights some aspects which are not in your evals/record than it is your decision to submit. I would just make sure it is worth reading and does not restate information that is already seen. 

That's not really true.  Yes they only add points when the two reviewers look at your record, but if they see things they believe to be negatives they aren't going to score you as well.  The board itself just picks a score of 100, 75, 50, 25 or 0.  They are free to score you however they feel, but they don't see you whole record only a summary sheet and what the briefer briefs them on.  Unless otherwise overruled they do mark negatives when reviewing the record.

3 hours ago, Butter Star said:

That's not really true.  Yes they only add points when the two reviewers look at your record, but if they see things they believe to be negatives they aren't going to score you as well.  The board itself just picks a score of 100, 75, 50, 25 or 0.  They are free to score you however they feel, but they don't see you whole record only a summary sheet and what the briefer briefs them on.  Unless otherwise overruled they do mark negatives when reviewing the record.

Thanks for the insights. Another question, how strict are the board members when it comes to verification?  For example, I got qual'd ATTWO in OCT 16 and it's in my eval (Block 44), but I accidently put OCT 15 on my career summary letter. Would that kill my chances? Would that look bad? I mean, typo's happen, but I wish I could've caught it before I sent it.

Guest Butter Star

1 hour ago, ITJuan(IW/SW/AW) 009 said:

Thanks for the insights. Another question, how strict are the board members when it comes to verification?  For example, I got qual'd ATTWO in OCT 16 and it's in my eval (Block 44), but I accidently put OCT 15 on my career summary letter. Would that kill my chances? Would that look bad? I mean, typo's happen, but I wish I could've caught it before I sent it.

The board itself won't see it.  Just the two people that review your record and give it the initial score, one of whom will present your record to the board, and the recorder.  I doubt they will care.  The presenter only has between 15 seconds and a minute to present your record.  I doubt highly that he will take that time to say that you put a 15 instead of a 16 on a date that you qualified for.  So the board won't see it.  Will it impact your initial score, again I doubt it.  If they even notice it, it'll have little to no impact.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

44 minutes ago, Butter Star said:

The board itself won't see it.  Just the two people that review your record and give it the initial score, one of whom will present your record to the board, and the recorder.  I doubt they will care.  The presenter only has between 15 seconds and a minute to present your record.  I doubt highly that he will take that time to say that you put a 15 instead of a 16 on a date that you qualified for.  So the board won't see it.  Will it impact your initial score, again I doubt it.  If they even notice it, it'll have little to no impact.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Haha! I'll try not to lose sleep over it. The little things like that can keep me up at night. It's in my eval (Block 44), so I hope that's good enough. Thanks!

Guest ¡Viva!
On 6/8/2017 at 9:50 AM, Butter Star said:

Can you please elaborate on what some of these negates are?

Guest HI_IT
16 hours ago, ¡Viva! said:

I'm also curious about this.

Specifically, I have a 1 of 1 transfer MP from 2013.  Everything since then has been good.  How bad will this hurt me?

43 minutes ago, Guyy804 said:

Which eval do they read first out of the 5 years? The most recent then work backwards? Or vice versa?

43 minutes ago, Guyy804 said:

Which eval do they read first out of the 5 years? The most recent then work backwards? Or vice versa?

What's the difference in your opinion?

Guest Guyy804
14 hours ago, LSHARP said:

What's the difference in your opinion?

For SSP purposes. My first eval was a promotable and below the CO average. The last 4 are all EP and above CO average.  My concern is I don't SSP to be selected. Once they are  the First eval they will push my record to the side and don't look at the rest of it.

23 minutes ago, Guyy804 said:

For SSP purposes. My first eval was a promotable and below the CO average. The last 4 are all EP and above CO average.  My concern is I don't SSP to be selected. Once they are  the First eval they will push my record to the side and don't look at the rest of it.

I've been told the most recent, if you went from P to EP they'll see that. I doubt they throw you to the side because your oldest eval is a P. 

• Like 1

Guest Butter Star
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, ¡Viva! said:

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:31 AM, HI_IT said:

I'm also curious about this.

Specifically, I have a 1 of 1 transfer MP from 2013.  Everything since then has been good.  How bad will this hurt me?

You got "Gapped" which is bad. It was awhile back, but they'll see it.  It depends on what the rest of your record from then on looks like, but it won't help.

So detractors, the two I heard specifically are.  1 Not getting a warfare device when you were assigned to a command that was eligible.  2 Putting LDO in the recommended assignments block at a Chief board and/or not having CPO in the block at a CPO board.

Other killers in general would be recent PRT failures, Gapped evals (which means that they could have given you an EP but decided to not use the EP quota and marked you lower), being under the CO's average (without a note saying the CO was realigning his average), being under the Summary Group Average, not having qualifications that people in your rating should have based on your career history, homesteading (staying in the same command forever), avoiding sea duty, not getting an MTS at a school command and just lacking a strong reporting senior's recommendation for promotion.

I'm sure there are others but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest HI_IT
19 hours ago, Butter Star said:

You got "Gapped" which is bad. It was awhile back, but they'll see it.  It depends on what the rest of your record from then on looks like, but it won't help.

So detractors, the two I heard specifically are.  1 Not getting a warfare device when you were assigned to a command that was eligible.  2 Putting LDO in the recommended assignments block at a Chief board and/or not having CPO in the block at a CPO board.

Other killers in general would be recent PRT failures, Gapped evals (which means that they could have given you an EP but decided to not use the EP quota and marked you lower), being under the CO's average (without a note saying the CO was realigning his average), being under the Summary Group Average, not having qualifications that people in your rating should have based on your career history, homesteading (staying in the same command forever), avoiding sea duty, not getting an MTS at a school command and just lacking a strong reporting senior's recommendation for promotion.

I'm sure there are others but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Since the gapped eval I have a #1Mp, #2EP and #1EP (oldest to newest).  Hopefully it's enough to recover.

Guest EffSeeUno
9 hours ago, HI_IT said:

Since the gapped eval I have a #1Mp, #2EP and #1EP (oldest to newest).  Hopefully it's enough to recover.

This is basically what they are looking for - progression. Without a doubt your last/most recent Eval holds the most weight. #1 EP is as best you can get. I assume you are the SOY, that's usually a golden ticket, granted you have all in rate blocks checked.

Guest Iam32
On 6/6/2017 at 9:46 PM, TRON828 said:

It's up to you boss man. I was told by my COC and CMC to not waste my time with it. All I need them to see is that I did in those 5 years and it should speak for it.  I did submit 4 things with my LTB and it's infront of them to see. I had 2 MasterChief at my previous and current command that sat the board. I listen to what they told

me and hope it pays off. One thing I didnt have last year was my MOVSM. Got it this  time :D

Could you elaborate on what your COC and CMC told you the more we hear from others they more knowledge on what the board is looking for. 

Guest PO14Life

I have been trying to get my record corrected for a year now. My close out was not completed upon my reenlistment. I have tried everything from using my ADMIN, sending in TOPS myself, and emailing the help desk myself. I attempted to send a LTB, but due to my own personal issues and OPS schedule and inspections I did not encrypt it(did not realize I hadn't until it was too late). I figure there is noting left to do at this point, but sit and wait for the N. I have had multiple people review my evals, and the only deficit they can find is that I do not have a lot of break outs. Just seeing if anyone has any guidance so that I can navigate this mess.

40 minutes ago, PO14Life said:

I have been trying to get my record corrected for a year now. My close out was not completed upon my reenlistment. I have tried everything from using my ADMIN, sending in TOPS myself, and emailing the help desk myself. I attempted to send a LTB, but due to my own personal issues and OPS schedule and inspections I did not encrypt it(did not realize I hadn't until it was too late). I figure there is noting left to do at this point, but sit and wait for the N. I have had multiple people review my evals, and the only deficit they can find is that I do not have a lot of break outs. Just seeing if anyone has any guidance so that I can navigate this mess.

I believe the board will still receive your letter even if it's not encrypted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

Guest Mestizo68
15 hours ago, LSHARP said:

I believe the board will still receive your letter even if it's not encrypted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

It has to be encrypted. Navadmin tells you to do so. The reason for that is because it involves PII.

NAVADMIN 278/16

d.  The preferred method to submit an LTB is by encrypted e-mail to
cscselboard(at)navy.mil.  E-mailed LTBs must be encrypted to protect
personally identifiable information.  Trouble with file encryption or
certificate issues does not justify a late LTB.
    e.  If unable to e-mail, candidates may use regular mail to the addresses
below.  Mailed LTBs should be on plain white paper and paper clipped (no
staples, binders, folders or tabs).

Guest NavySAR
16 minutes ago, Mestizo68 said:

It has to be encrypted. Navadmin tells you to do so. The reason for that is because it involves PII.

NAVADMIN 278/16

d.  The preferred method to submit an LTB is by encrypted e-mail to
cscselboard(at)navy.mil.  E-mailed LTBs must be encrypted to protect
personally identifiable information.  Trouble with file encryption or
certificate issues does not justify a late LTB.

e.  If unable to e-mail, candidates may use regular mail to the addresses
below.  Mailed LTBs should be on plain white paper and paper clipped (no
staples, binders, folders or tabs).

That doesn't mean they won't accept it unencrypted.  I think they would tell you if unencrypted LTBs were not going to be accepted.  I take this to mean that they must be encrypted to protect the SVM, not as a board no-go.  Also, I personally know a guy who accidentally sent his unencrypted last year and picked up...I guess it's possible he picked up on the strength of his electronic record alone, but I doubt it.

Guest Mestizo68
1 hour ago, NavySAR said:

That doesn't mean they won't accept it unencrypted.  I think they would tell you if unencrypted LTBs were not going to be accepted.  I take this to mean that they must be encrypted to protect the SVM, not as a board no-go.  Also, I personally know a guy who accidentally sent his unencrypted last year and picked up...I guess it's possible he picked up on the strength of his electronic record alone, but I doubt it.

Better to be safe than sorry. If it has the words "must be encrypted" then its there for a reason.   Remember that when you send an LTB to the board,your disclosing all your enclosures in which has your SSN on each enclosure page. That's why they have you encrypt it regardless. But if your friend accidentally sent it unencrypted and picked up, then why bother ask the question. Maybe he got lucky or maybe it wasn't accepted. Who knows. Either way,  go by what the NAVADMIN tells you to do and you'll never go wrong. 

1 hour ago, Mestizo68 said:

Better to be safe than sorry. If it has the words "must be encrypted" then its there for a reason.   Remember that when you send an LTB to the board,your disclosing all your enclosures in which has your SSN on each enclosure page. That's why they have you encrypt it regardless. But if your friend accidentally sent it unencrypted and picked up, then why bother ask the question. Maybe he got lucky or maybe it wasn't accepted. Who knows. Either way,  go by what the NAVADMIN tells you to do and you'll never go wrong. 

This auto reply is your receipt that the Navy Personnel Command (NPC) selection board team has received your correspondence.

Below is some helpful information to assist you during the selection board process, we wish you the best of luck!

1.  Processing Selection Board Packages:  The time and date board packages are received in the Customer Service Center Inbox is the time and date used for deadline verification (Central Time).  Selection Board Packages are processed on a first-in, first-out basis and normally have a turnaround time of THREE to FIVE business days.  The status of your Package is viewable within the Selection Board Database.

2.  To determine the status of your Selection Board Packages:

a.  Go to  www. public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/Pages/default.aspx

b.  In the far right column, click on "Selection Board Status"

c.  Follow the instructions on the screen to log into the Selection Board Status Database

d.  In the "Service Request List", click on the request number of the Service Request

3.  Future Selection Board Packages:  The CSCSELBOARD@NAVY.MIL mailbox account is capable of receiving ‘ENCRYPTED’ correspondence IAW DoD policy.  If your package has been submitted ‘Unencrypted’, there is NO NEED to resubmit.

If you experience any issues or have questions about submitting your Promotion Board correspondence please contact the NPC Customer Service Center at 1-866-U ASK NPC, DSN 882-5672 or e-mail uasknpc@navy.mil

Email right after I sent in my letter #3 says If your package has been submitted ‘Unencrypted’, there is

NO NEED to resubmit. so all hope is not lost.