Buying Khakis Before You Make Chief

Purchasing Chief's Khakis Before Making Chief  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Considered Tacky, or in Bad Taste to Purchase a pair of Chief's Khakis before making Chief?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

This thread is a poll and area for discussion about buying Chief's khakis before actually making Chief. This discussion has come up on several occasions over the years while waiting for the results. Past posts have indicated that the purchase was made for good luck.

Guest navyordie123

The reason I voted yes that it's bad to buy before you can is because I feel that it takes away from part of phase 2 when you get selected. 

Guest Old_Salt_ITC

I think it is incredibly presumptuous to buy khakis before being selected. It's bad enough that the navy has already made the "tan" shirt a part of the NSU, but buying a full set of khakis without guidance from your sponsor and/or mentor is just wrong. I'm sure that some who have done it say it was good luck but even more are not going to admit they did it and it turned out to be bad luck.

Guest HawkISback

I voted no, it is not tacky. However, I am super superstitious and would never want to jinx myself.  That, and I never feel like its a lock enough to buy them personally.

1 hour ago, Forth13 said:

I'm assuming this poll is about the comment I made about having my khaki's ironed in my closet.

The only reason they are as such is because I was issued them at the Naval Science Institute when I formally became an Officer Candidate. I would never purchase uniform items before selected. =] 

You did not specify that in your original post.

6 hours ago, Squidly said:

It's a disgrace by any definition of the word.  A slight to the selection process and a slight to those in your rate that you're competing against. There's absolutely NO tradition in this practice.  It's just bad taste. Period.

Post created by @Squidly moved to this thread by Tony

Guest Chief Guns
9 hours ago, Old_Salt_ITC said:

I think it is incredibly presumptuous to buy khakis before being selected. It's bad enough that the navy has already made the "tan" shirt a part of the NSU, but buying a full set of khakis without guidance from your sponsor and/or mentor is just wrong. I'm sure that some who have done it say it was good luck but even more are not going to admit they did it and it turned out to be bad luck.

I picked up GMC in 2013, so i wore the NSU for a couple years. I hated them cause i felt cheated in having to wear the khaki shirt. I didn't wanna wear khaki anything until i was selected. I did everything i could to avoid wearing those NSU's lol. 

Also i knew a Chief from awhile back that had been seen purchasing khaki's when he was a FCPO. While i wasn't there and didn't see it for myself, i heard that when the Chiefs Mess found out about this, his CPO season was very interesting.................

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

I think that is part of the magic of being selected and going through phase II. I will admit I was tempted last year, but I am glad I didnt. It would just seem that much more meaningful when you go to the Uniform store to purchase your uniforms for phase 2. Just my opinion of course.

Guest OldSalt

I voted yes. I equate this to wearing a uniform item with a warfare designator on it that you have not earned yet. However, I try to see it from all possibilities. There are some exceptions to what is normally the "rule." Such as the only command covers available may have a warfare designator on it. In that case it is a lack of options that forces sailors into this situation, and I am not going to hold that against the sailor. So, there may be sailors that are stationed at a command that does not have a uniform shop readily available to them. Or, does not carry their sizes. Than sailors may feel forced to get what they can when they can. The reality may not match what they feel is reality. But, they think they are in a situation that forces this reaction. It comes down to intent behind the action vice the action itself. If someone is doing this because they have a lack of options vice, for lack of better term, being pompous. I can see giving some lee way to the issue.

Guest OldSalt
2 minutes ago, Donkey Racer said:

I see what you are saying, but the NEX delivers World Wide.

I agree. Not trying to defend the practice as a whole. That is why I tried to put in what is the reality may not match what is going on in a sailors head. I did not want to make a blanket statement, and leave out situations that I may not be taking account for. A sailors perception of reality is as important as what is reality itself. We make judgment calls off of what we perceive as reality. So, in this case getting uniform items. If the ability for the NEX to deliver world wide is not part of that perceived reality than they are not going to make a call based on that fact. My judgment of that decision needs to be based off of what they perceive as reality, not just what reality is. In those terms I can see giving some lee way to the decision, but need to go fix the perception itself. Make sense?

Guest Mustang6235

While on AT in January, I tried on some uniform items since LDO results came out the following month. I wanted to have an idea on what to order AFTER selecting. Guy I was with said he had bought a pair of khakis in case he made chief.  Didn't agree with it. 

In hockey, players don't touch the Stanley Cup unless they've won it. I view khakis the same way. 

All righty then, this poll is closed. Perhaps the most enthusiastic poll conducted, 92.86% of members polled considered it tacky, or in bad taste to purchase a pair of Chief's khakis before actually making Chief. 7.14% of members did not agree. This poll was conducted after a member stated that they had a pair of ironed khakis ready in the closet, with a further post of "true story" to emphasize their point. This was in the FY17 Chief Selection Board forum. I removed all posts from that member though when it became apparent there was a credibility issue with all comments that individual was posting.

True story folks...  BBb)