Forum | Advancement | Career | Veteran | Bases | Enlisted Portal

CTRC(5)

FY-18 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

Rate this topic

HawaiiGM

I submitted my package and I have two great appraisals, all 10s!. The other appraisal I have, I received  5s from the interviewer. 

All 3 appraisals happened during the same interview.  Does anybody know how much the bad appraisal is going to hurt me at the selection board?

Dogg
7 hours ago, HawaiiGM said:

I submitted my package and I have two great appraisals, all 10s!. The other appraisal I have, I received  5s from the interviewer. 

All 3 appraisals happened during the same interview.  Does anybody know how much the bad appraisal is going to hurt me at the selection board?

Appraisals are important, but I believe the complete package carries more weight. Did you ask why the appraiser gave you 5s? Board members have explained to me that a strong record is the key to selection. A weak record with outstanding appraisals is not. What this means is that if you have what they are looking for in the designator you are applying for, your appraisals can be overlooked. One of my  appraisers gave me a 9 on one traitor and I explained to him that this board is extremely competitive and he changed it. Some use the evaluation or fitrep notion of not giving all 5, and you may have to explain to them that it is not the case with this board. However, a lot of candidates have been selected without having all 10s. How was the write up?

• Like 4

I-Heart-Torpedoes
12 hours ago, HawaiiGM said:

I'm not an expert since it's my first time applying for LDO, but I think if the appraisal justifies the individual giving you a 5 out of 10. It kind of doesn't make sense that two board members gave you a 10 and one a 5? Was the 5 from the highest ranking member of the board?

Dogg
3 hours ago, Gunz and Roses said:

The appraisal board is very subjective, because it is asking that person their opinion on the potential the applicant displays. You can have one person who simply doesn't like your reasoning or thought process in the way you answer questions, or maybe they assess them to be nervous or not genuine. I had one Officer on my first board tell me he doesn't give 10s, because he's never seen a perfect candidate. You are right though, the trait list and write up should explain why that board member thought the way they did. 5 is really low though, and that should have been explained to you in a debrief just as a courtesy.

Exactly. The 5s may be damaging especially if the interviewer is a respected Mustang in the community. But I still believe the record is the most important determinant. Your CO's strong recommendation could still neutralize a weak appraisal from one interviewer who may have known you for just an hour.

Dogg
4 hours ago, Gunz and Roses said:

The way that it was explained to me was EVALS > CO Reccomendation > Personal Statement/Package > Appraisals

Having good appraisals can seal the deal, but your CO recommendation and your evaluations are the most important. Your personal statement can do more to grab the attention of your board member than a appraisal if it is well written.

What Dogg said is accurate, and this will be my 3rd time up, and my 3rd time up will all 10's on my appraisals, so that is definitely not the magic bullet.

Fourth time applicant here, but first for CWO. Missed my last shot for LDO by three months. Talking of evals, great evals give you a ticket to the tank, but your PSR is what gets you the S. That's why prior board members will always ask for your psr  to determine if you even have a shot.

SandcrabCTT
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, Gunz and Roses said:

I emailed them, but my package actually popped up before they answered...got my A code, now the wait begins.

Morning Gunz and Roses...  were did you see your "A code"?  Where would that be located?  Thanks a bunch!

SWSeabee

Starting to get nervous - I checked the board selection status page and it was accepted before the deadline, but I still haven't seen any code pop up (A or otherwise). I would like at least a week or so in case I have to submit anything before the deadline.

• Like 1

SandcrabCTT
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:04 AM, SWSeabee said:

Starting to get nervous - I checked the board selection status page and it was accepted before the deadline, but I still haven't seen any code pop up (A or otherwise). I would like at least a week or so in case I have to submit anything before the deadline.

SWSeabee...  yeah I am in the same boat, just wondering what the status was and again how the process works since this is my first time applying.  I just submitted a request through NPC customer service center to contact me so that I could ask that exact question.  Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

Dyounce

Very interesting reading what people are saying and what they are advising.  I have never heard of someone with fives getting selected.  The senior Mustangs on my base(CW05, CDRs, and a Captain) have all said the interview process is critical.  "Recruit your relief" is what they put out every single year. If the board members are looking at their brothers and sisters for advice, the only Mustangs who have talked to and gauged the applicant, they are going to take what the board says very seriously.  Personal statements are nice, they are looking for well written, and maybe something that sticks out, but after reading 100, they all start to sound the same, same with the CO's endorsement.  But again, they stressed very clear breakouts  (#1, #2, #3...of #72) at different Commands, and the board appraisal sheets.  Also what I have heard and believe in is the who is on your board is critical. The chances of the board taking someone's word of someone who is very well respected in their community (maybe the Senior 0-6 who has sat multipole boards) over some LT who no-one has heard of is pretty great. I have the "A"  got it the first week of October.  Now preparing the Addendum.  My advice for people who not getting 10s on their boards.  Study and practice more.  I got Officers that I know to do mock boards, or they would get some of their peers to do mock boards on me.  Those ones were tougher then the real ones, because they were pushing me to the edge. Board etiquette, posture, speaking clearly with well thought out educated answers are all key.  Try to go up for a SOQ board.  Talk to someone who has done a few and get pointers. At my Command they Gave me a 1 and the next guy a 1A rank because we were that close in boardsmanship and packages.  There is no reason everyone at your Command Cannot get all 10s.  Oh, also, talk to every single Mustang at your Command about your interest.   Reach out and show them how much you want it, I call that "pre-boardsmanship," and that is just as critical. Their community is extremely close, and if you are talking to all them, they will be talking about you and hopefully putting you in an extremely positive light.

• Like 2

SWSeabee
On 11/10/2016 at 11:52 AM, SandcrabCTT said:

SWSeabee...  yeah I am in the same boat, just wondering what the status was and again how the process works since this is my first time applying.  I just submitted a request through NPC customer service center to contact me so that I could ask that exact question.  Thanks for your input!

Did you get an update? A few days after this a rep contacted me with what I needed to do and updated my status in BOL.

SandcrabCTT
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, SWSeabee said:

Did you get an update? A few days after this a rep contacted me with what I needed to do and updated my status in BOL.

Hey SWSeabee....  Yeah I did get an email from a rep at NPC stating that I had to add a statement to my page 7 that was missing.  I did as he requested and resubmitted my page 7 of my application and then a few days later I was able to check BOL and saw that my application had been entered  showing my status.  I just submitted my addendum letter with my recent eval from this past years reporting period along with another letter of recommendation that I received.  If you haven't done so already make sure you get your latest evaluation in before 12/01/2016.

• Like 1

I-Heart-Torpedoes
18 hours ago, SandcrabCTT said:

Hey SWSeabee....  Yeah I did get an email from a rep at NPC stating that I had to add a statement to my page 7 that was missing.  I did as he requested and resubmitted my page 7 of my application and then a few days later I was able to check BOL and saw that my application had been entered  showing my status.  I just submitted my addendum letter with my recent eval from this past years reporting period along with another letter of recommendation that I received.  If you haven't done so already make sure you get your latest evaluation in before 12/01/2016.

From NAVADMIN 144/16 - "Routine addendums to applications, excluding evaluations and
awards, must be received no later than 1 December 2016.  Evaluations and awards must be received no later than 1 January 2017."

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2016/NAV16144.txt

• Like 1

Dyounce
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, SandcrabCTT said:

Evals and awards are due the end of the month.

Dyounce
29 minutes ago, Gunz and Roses said:

My advice was more geared towards if that "5" was an outlier. In other words if the two other appraisers, especially the senior appraiser, gave him 10's and then he had one with 5's might not necessarily spell the end. Appraisals are of course very important, but they too have the potential to get watered down especially if interviewers just give away 10's, which I have definitely heard of from those who have sat the board. I had the senior officer in the designator I am applying for tell me that he needs to be very careful in what ratings he gives, as his credibility will be called into question if he gives out too many 10's.

I definitely understand what you are saying about appraisals being watered down. Too many tens from the same command probably start looking like they are trying to get anyone selected.  We did a very long and solid debrief with the board here though.  A couple people here though, the board told them specifically that their package is not competitive and that they would recommend them because of potential, but told them to try again next year.  

EM1Norfolk
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, Dyounce said:

Evals and awards are due the end of the month.

Anyone send their EVAL by E-Mail?

EM1Norfolk

I am thinking sending in new EVAL by E-Mail. But the ADMIN144/16 states time-sensitive documents only. I am confused by that.

Dyounce
9 hours ago, EM1Norfolk said:

I am thinking sending in new EVAL by E-Mail. But the ADMIN144/16 states time-sensitive documents only. I am confused by that.

Everyone at my Command has.  If you don't follow the LDO/CWO Community Manager page on Facebook, you should.  They put a lot of this stuff on there as well.

• Like 1

ENC

Everyone (im)patiently waiting for the board to convene?  5th application overall for me this year (4th for CWO) and in all honesty my last.  Had my board done by CWO5, CWO4 and CDR in my designator as well as had it reviewed by several CWO 4/5 engineers who all had great things to say.  We'll see.  Good luck to all.

• Like 1

CTRC(5)
On 1/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, ENC said:

Everyone (im)patiently waiting for the board to convene?  5th application overall for me this year (4th for CWO) and in all honesty my last.  Had my board done by CWO5, CWO4 and CDR in my designator as well as had it reviewed by several CWO 4/5 engineers who all had great things to say.  We'll see.  Good luck to all.

Good Luck as well. This is my second time applying and hoping for the positive results. We will know soon.

• Like 1

CTRC(5)

Board convenes tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.

Last year board convened on the 11th of January with quotas and discrete requirements out on the 12th. Hope for the same this year.

• Like 1

hotelwhiskey

...and now we wait

osiris0107

Well... it looks like the same amount of quotas as last year, so that's a good sign. Just need to hope that there is as many fully qualified candidates as last year lol.

osiris0107

How much longer do you thin it will take the board to render its verdict? Any gentlemen's bet on a date?

CTRC(5)
9 hours ago, osiris0107 said:

How much longer do you thin it will take the board to render its verdict? Any gentlemen's bet on a date?

I heard board ends this wednesday(rumor), but results were out the last week of February last year, so probably about the same amount of time. Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 2