FY-18 LDO/CWO Procurement Selection Board Discussion

Guest Mustang6235

Biggest lessons I learned from FY16 non selection to FY17 selection 

1) Read the NAVADMIN that announces the FY18 board, verbatim. It supersedes the OPNAV instructions. 

2) Network, network, network. Have your package reviewed. 

3) Read this year's precepts and quota guide. You'll find exactly what they are looking for on each designator, and inside your career. 

4) Most importantly, keep pushing forward. Keep taking care of your sailors, and the rest will fall into place. 

I've been checking this forum and finally joined. I applied for FY16 but got "N" but this year for FY17, I finally got "S". Word of advice is to get all the qualifications you can get in your rate, NECs, watches, collateral duties, community service, at least 1 SOQ (if PO1) "perfect or almost perfect in appraisal interviews" and of course EP evals will really the biggest factor I believe. Never stop applying as long you are qualified if you really want to be one. Good luck to all who wants to answer the call!

Guest CTRC(5)
15 hours ago, SAVE NAVY $$$$ said:

I've been checking this forum and finally joined. I applied for FY16 but got "N" but this year for FY17, I finally got "S". Word of advice is to get all the qualifications you can get in your rate, NECs, watches, collateral duties, community service, at least 1 SOQ (if PO1) "perfect or almost perfect in appraisal interviews" and of course EP evals will really the biggest factor I believe. Never stop applying as long you are qualified if you really want to be one. Good luck to all who wants to answer the call!

19 hours ago, MM1(SW) said:

I commission in Oct. Do not mind looking over packages. 

Would you both mind looking over my stuff? This year was my first year and am looking for some more guidance. I have had great mentors, but the more people whose advice that I can get the better. I did really well on my appraisals and my command breakout, just looking to network some more and gain some guidance to hopefully get that 'S' this year.  Thank you both for your time.

Guest HawaiiGM
On February 28, 2016 at 5:12 PM, MM1(SW) said:

Don't mind at all. 

On February 28, 2016 at 0:02 AM, MM1(SW) said:

Biggest lessons I learned from FY16 non selection to FY17 selection 

1) Read the NAVADMIN that announces the FY18 board, verbatim. It supersedes the OPNAV instructions. 

2) Network, network, network. Have your package reviewed. 

3) Read this year's precepts and quota guide. You'll find exactly what they are looking for on each designator, and inside your career. 

4) Most importantly, keep pushing forward. Keep taking care of your sailors, and the rest will fall into place. 

MM1 what designator did you get picked up for?

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, CTR1(5) said:

Would you both mind looking over my stuff? This year was my first year and am looking for some more guidance. I have had great mentors, but the more people whose advice that I can get the better. I did really well on my appraisals and my command breakout, just looking to network some more and gain some guidance to hopefully get that 'S' this year.  Thank you both for your time.

I don't mind it. It's for me to help. Let me know when it's ready so you can send me the copy.

Guest Squinter

After several attempts at DCO and LDO, I was finally picked up for 6835 (formerly 6455). I asked several Officers and a couple of Master Chiefs who've sat Selection Boards to review my package. Read LOTS of great advice on this forum and reached out to PERS for clarification on things. To add on to what MM1(SW) wrote regarding lessons learned, review all your online records to ensure your information is correct and everything is showing (NSIPS, NDAWS, ESR, you name it!). THE biggest thing is...Never give up. If you don't apply, you aren't letting the Board have a chance to offer you an "S."I had one officer tell me I was no longer eligible. I applied anyways and was selected. If I can help anyone, I would be happy to pay forward what so many did for me.

Guest Destined4Greatness

After seeing that "N" on my BOL, I'm ready to get this! Applying again for 682X. If there are any LDOs or recent selectees willing to go over my package, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Guest Mustang6235

Right now don't sweat the package. Get on NPC's LDO page, get on the quota link for last year's board, and see what it says about the designator you're applying for. It lays out exactly what quals make you competitive. 

Also, Get JPME/PPME done. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BM1SW

Good evening! Is there any 611X around? I will be 8 years in the navy this coming JUNE.  made board for the E-7 exam for LDO and I am currently in recruiting. will being only in 2 command hurt me with my application? specially my almost 6 years sea duty is on a DDG and not a GATOR.

Guest BM1SW
7 hours ago, MM1(SW) said:

You gave next to no information about yourself, so who knows.  Go read the requirements for 611 on the NPC website and see where you stand.  

From the FY-17 active duty LDO/CWO primary discrete requirements 611X/711X, I am safety officer for boat handling, anchoring, line handling, underway replenishment and cranes. The only one I am missing well deck ops. I am maxed out on IN-Rate qualification for small boy. Got Flight deck officer and helo control officer. Part of all training team besides ETT. DIV/DEPT career counselor and alternate command career counselor. I also got lcpo/divo qual. My first year in recruiting I got Recruiter of the year, rookie recruiter of the year and diversity recruiter of the year for FY-15. I also got my MOVSM, 3 nam and 1 navy com.

Guest BM1SW
1 hour ago, MM1(SW) said:

You've got a great shot at it. Either that or anchors. 

Thanks for the kind words. Now its just a matter of how i write my statements and how my package looks. Would be great if someone that was able to make it can lend a hand. Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
Guest kelticfrog

Where do  fine the precepts and quota guide? please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Guest Tbird2go

Been applying since '11. Was a strong motivated PO1 in my comfort zone back then and my package made it to board two years in a row. Since pinning CPO and heading to a new duty station and a much larger command I have had a much harder time breaking out and doing well on the interview boards any advice? 

Also, applying for CWO this year as my TIS is 15AUG03-01OCT17. That takes me over 14 years for commissioning date but for date of application (Jan 2017) I'm still at 13 years, 4 months, 18 days so I could still check the LDO box as well no? The more and more I think about it and since serving as a Chief for a bit I think CWO is a better fit for me would it really hurt to just check CWO? I'm definitely not concerned with LDO ENS as a Mustang is a Mustang in my book.

Thanks,

Zach