FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest EM_UNO
3 hours ago, IT_uno said:

Hawaii here as well brother. 0700 all hands call in the morning...probably won't get much sleep tonight to be honest but my wife tells me to believe and envision myself with obtaining my goals. 

I suppose I should cram in all my weeks homework tonight...just in case!!

Best of luck to all my brothers and sisters!

It's awesome to have some one so supportive by your side with encouraging words. My wife has told me about the same thing and continues to push me whether I get the S or N....

Good luck to all brothers and sisters in here and not!!!!!

Guest EM_UNO
49 minutes ago, OS1/CCC said:

Out to sea for RIMPAC on 1800-0000 watch. I cant sleep anyway afterwards so going to knock out laundry. lol. 6.5 hours left... but who is counting?

Lol.... I'm definitely not counting these 5.5 hours we have left either!

Guest HawkISback
1 hour ago, OS1/CCC said:

I feel your pain. lol. I had an OS1 retire back in March that was SBE 11 times.  At least with me, i know why it took me so long. I was going to school and wanted to go Nurse Corps once upon a time. Was going to SDSU and everything when i submitted my STA-21 package. Not being selected for the program I focused on my BS in Public Health. Once I finished that, i decided i would be the best I could be in my field (GCCS-M) be a technical expert and trainer, and lead as many Sailors as I could. So out of the 8 times i took the test, i have been SBE for two. hopefully this is our year, if not, two more shots. Just got my orders today to a DDG so I am very excited about that.

I'd it's not in the cards I'm turning my attention for the last year here on my bachelors, our command is small on the military's side but being the CCC I can help a lot of people. 

Guest 343SBE
1 hour ago, AME1 said:

Been a bit busy for me tonight.  Flight schedule, covering CDI for the AME shop, and knocking out a work center audit.  All while ironing out plans for a Friday night dinner with a new lady friend.  It's 0200 right now here in the PNW, and the results should be out around 0800.  I'll be happily asleep by then.

out of all that, that's the only thing that caught my eye...define NEW lady friend...

Guest HawkISback
6 hours ago, Ordy said:

One quick thought on the day before selection results...  the rhetoric in here is beginning to amp up.  A lot of people are talking about how they will react if they don't get selected.  To me this throws a caution flag in the air.  I used to joke that it was a hat trick, but I know the truth.  The system is fair.  Very fair.  We are graded on our merits, our contributions to our commands, Sailors and missions.  If we are already preparing ourselves for the "N," then there is something that we are hiding.  Some sort of short fall, neglect or missed opportunity in our career is probably the culprit.  I will have been through this cycle 6 times come 1100 tomorrow.  I used to throw hissy fits over not being selected and became cynical at times.  What I can tell you helped me the most, was something my Chief told me...  

She said, "AO1, I know you didn't make it this year.  That sucks.  But you need to look at the big picture.  You are almost finished with your Bachelors degree.  If you serve to 20 and never make Chief, no one will know or care the rest of your life.  When your shipmate says, "I have the watch," and you go and put in your job application, are you going to put down that you were a Chief?  No!  You are going to put down your qualifications, your bachelors degree, your management experience or whatever you have gleaned from the Navy with 20 years of honorable service to your country as icing on the cake.  You need to take care of you shipmate!"  

I no longer look at rejection as a failure, but an accomplishment.  I know it sounds silly, but I now look back at all I accomplished the year prior and look forward to what I will accomplish in the future.  The Navy is great!  I love it, I wish I could stay forever, but ... my shipmate will take my watch someday and all the little customs and courtesies will be a memory.  I would love to make Chief.  But I would also love to start another semester in College this September.  Spend time with my wife and kids this summer.  Get this ship ready for MPA/AMI etc... Start looking at what life is going to be like out there in the hippie civy world.  I still have a lot I need to accomplish before I leave in four years and I am not going to spend a moment of it crying about something that is not a failure.  Failure is quitting and I have NEVER done that.  Falling short is a learning experience, not a failure and I will fall short many times in my future.  

Good luck to all!  Especially my Ordies!!!

IYAOYAS!

Not really hiding from much, when I stated my self doubt it's because of my career path. Mine during my FCPO days of operational command has been in the sand as well as my second class period(1. Out of 2 years) if the board doesn't select me it will most likely be that reason.  

Guest Blankslate

After convincing my spouse that staying up all night playing Destiny would not make 1100 EST any easier, I wound up being the one with most of the sleep issues. I was in bed at normal time after killing a chapter of my Financial Counseling book but was awoken at midnight by a toddler who wanted snuggles. At that time my spouse had come to bed and was in that semi-sleep where he knew the baby had climbed in but wasn't awake enough to say no (she's really good a pushing one or both of us off the bed). By 0230 CST she had wore out her welcome and I was wide awake. Since my spouse was peacefully sawing logs (very loudly!) I moved her back into her room, checked the time, groaned because it was only 0230 and tried to go back to bed. I repeated looking at the time at 0330, 0430, and finally gave up at 0515.  Now I am here. questioning if I should try to make breakfast now or if I should wait since I actually got him to get some sleep and just make sure he has money for a nice coffee and a breakfast sandwich (usually he makes his own at home). There is 4 hours and some minutes left before Triad knows his fate and passes the word. We spent last night making sure all our ducks were in a row and that we were both on the same page in case of getting the S. We already had worked out how life would be should he continue without making chief some time ago when my Fall college schedule was being set (which will also have to change should he pick up because of a lack of child care). Good Luck to all the SBEs out there! 

Guest HawkISback
8 minutes ago, Blankslate said:

After convincing my spouse that staying up all night playing Destiny would not make 1100 EST any easier, I wound up being the one with most of the sleep issues. I was in bed at normal time after killing a chapter of my Financial Counseling book but was awoken at midnight by a toddler who wanted snuggles. At that time my spouse had come to bed and was in that semi-sleep where he knew the baby had climbed in but wasn't awake enough to say no (she's really good a pushing one or both of us off the bed). By 0230 CST she had wore out her welcome and I was wide awake. Since my spouse was peacefully sawing logs (very loudly!) I moved her back into her room, checked the time, groaned because it was only 0230 and tried to go back to bed. I repeated looking at the time at 0330, 0430, and finally gave up at 0515.  Now I am here. questioning if I should try to make breakfast now or if I should wait since I actually got him to get some sleep and just make sure he has money for a nice coffee and a breakfast sandwich (usually he makes his own at home). There is 4 hours and some minutes left before Triad knows his fate and passes the word. We spent last night making sure all our ducks were in a row and that we were both on the same page in case of getting the S. We already had worked out how life would be should he continue without making chief some time ago when my Fall college schedule was being set (which will also have to change should he pick up because of a lack of child care). Good Luck to all the SBEs out there! 

Good luck.   I know it's a nerve racking process. 

Guest Blankslate
1 minute ago, HawkISback said:

Good luck.   I know it's a nerve racking process. 

I honestly think it's worse for me than for him. In my mind, if he makes it is the same as if he went out on a 6 week work up on a boat det. That throws all kind of things into the mix since my whole routine with my kids will change at that point, 

Guest 343SBE
41 minutes ago, Squidly said:

My N from last year is gone.

Tick-tock.

Crazy, mines is showing and until now I never seen it prior...I'm guessing that it's because of all the other request I send to PERS and since I haven't requested anything yet, that's why I'm able to see mines for the first time...

Guest Blankslate

I hear grouchy mcgrouchy pants stomping around so I have started his coffee and already have his coffee mug next to the coffee maker. I am going to do my best to make these last few hours as smooth as I can. 

Guest Doc-Bigmac

So, today's the day.  Just over 3 hours to go.  I haven't been sleeping well for several weeks, so last night's poor sleep wasn't much of a surprise.  Did just get back from leave though.  Enjoyed a much needed break in sunny Orlando, had a great time with the family.  Being selected would be the greatest, my family has been pushing me, my mentors have been phenomenal and I hope that I am worthy enough to stand with the rest of the Selectees and the Chiefs Mess. 

I am also really looking forward to tomorrow's public release.  There are some folks from around the world who's names I would like to see on that list.

Best of luck to everyone today!!

Guest OldSalt

Good luck to everyone and their loved ones. A few more hours to go! What ever happens you should be proud of what you have accomplished so far. Like my Wife told me this morning, "It is the start of a new adventure for us one way or the other." See y'all on the other side!

Guest AMC Hopeful
1 minute ago, OneLastDance said:

Good luck to everyone and their loved ones. A few more hours to go! What ever happens you should be proud of what you have accomplished so far. Like my Wife told me this morning, "It is the start of a new adventure for us one way or the other." See y'all on the other side!

Same for us, she is my rock each year, this one has been bad. We have decided that if I don't get selected I will finish to 20 and get out. I would still get one more look, but I don't want to chase down E-9 against the ropes and hit the civilian job market too old. So, drinking tonight on way or the other.

CMC is making rounds and calls to prep people up. "the decision is made, don't stress it now."

For those who may not know

FY17 Active Duty CPO Results Timeline

• AUG 02 TUE 1100 ET - Command BOL (Triad)
  • AUG 03 WED 1100 ET - SBE can view their status in BOL & NAVADMIN release on All Hands Online (Public Release)