FY17 Chief Selection Board

Guest AlohaChicken
2 hours ago, NavyWifey said:

Any other nervous wives?! 

I was totally good up until a couple hrs ago. Hubby has duty tonight so at least he can't see me wigging out :blink:

Good luck to all SBEs (and spouses!!)

My husband has duty tonight as well... which is good, I would be driving him nuts with all my nervous energy! So excited for everyone! Fingers crossed for you all!

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X

If I get selected, I hear the Top Gun Anthem playing in my head.

BEST OF LUCK to EACH AND EVERY ONE of SBE's on here!!!! I certainly hope you are able to get the S that we all seek. 

4 minutes ago, DeepSea5342 said:

@Tony do things pick up when the results release?

Yes, people may crash the server when the Triad gets their copy tomorrow. It will be mass chaos as some will not be contacted by their command and those that get the S will post here creating more chaos for those who do not know. I feel bad for those who are not contacted by their command. 

And obviously I feel good for those that got the coveted S!

Just now, DeepSea5342 said:

Yeah I have never liked when a command doesn't let their sailors know. Its better to get a "no" than to have that feeling of not knowing. It's cowardly to be afraid of letting people down.

Agree, and my heart sinks a little when I see people asking for the help that their commands should be providing. And I mean the CO, XO, and CMC. The ones that say we should help/ keep an eye on each other inside the command. 

Just now, DeepSea5342 said:

Thats whats so great about this forum though. I know for myself and my community, if I were to ask questions I wouldn't get good answers because some people have tunnel vision about their rates. I personally love to hear from different rates and their opinions because lets be honest, it's not ONE rate sitting on the board, so its good to bounce ideas off other communities.

Exactly, agree with your post. The biggest advantage of this forum is that it is not officially attached with the Navy so Sailors can relax a little (I know it's hard waiting for the results) and also talk to others from different commands around the world.

Guest HawkISback
7 hours ago, OS1/CCC said:

I have been telling myself for weeks I havent made it. Yet this year I had the" what if i am selected" insomnia and reading the results are going to be released to the triad tomorrow.. i don't know what to expect. I have a plan either way, but after 17 years, it would be nice to have that "S"

We are in the same year group. I've been trying to tell myself that, oh you didn't make it, so don't get excited.  But with wining soy at command and ISIC people seem to think that's the golden goose.  But what we talked about before has a lot of self doubt in my head. 

But the other voice in my head is saying if not now when? I get up super early so no issue sleeping, but this day gave me a headache.  I nvr get those. Ugh. 

Guest EM_UNO

Duty + watch till midnight + no berthings because of DSRA + 0500 result release to triad (hawaii) = no sleep kinda night! :wacko:

Guest navyordie123

Probably my last post on here til the results come out tomorrow morning. Gonna be a busy morning for all of us, good luck to all my SBE brothers and sisters and their families!! I know it is stressful on all. So good night and good luck and I hope that we all get that S tomorrow!! I know it will definitely make my day!!

One quick thought on the day before selection results...  the rhetoric in here is beginning to amp up.  A lot of people are talking about how they will react if they don't get selected.  To me this throws a caution flag in the air.  I used to joke that it was a hat trick, but I know the truth.  The system is fair.  Very fair.  We are graded on our merits, our contributions to our commands, Sailors and missions.  If we are already preparing ourselves for the "N," then there is something that we are hiding.  Some sort of short fall, neglect or missed opportunity in our career is probably the culprit.  I will have been through this cycle 6 times come 1100 tomorrow.  I used to throw hissy fits over not being selected and became cynical at times.  What I can tell you helped me the most, was something my Chief told me...  

She said, "AO1, I know you didn't make it this year.  That sucks.  But you need to look at the big picture.  You are almost finished with your Bachelors degree.  If you serve to 20 and never make Chief, no one will know or care the rest of your life.  When your shipmate says, "I have the watch," and you go and put in your job application, are you going to put down that you were a Chief?  No!  You are going to put down your qualifications, your bachelors degree, your management experience or whatever you have gleaned from the Navy with 20 years of honorable service to your country as icing on the cake.  You need to take care of you shipmate!"  

I no longer look at rejection as a failure, but an accomplishment.  I know it sounds silly, but I now look back at all I accomplished the year prior and look forward to what I will accomplish in the future.  The Navy is great!  I love it, I wish I could stay forever, but ... my shipmate will take my watch someday and all the little customs and courtesies will be a memory.  I would love to make Chief.  But I would also love to start another semester in College this September.  Spend time with my wife and kids this summer.  Get this ship ready for MPA/AMI etc... Start looking at what life is going to be like out there in the hippie civy world.  I still have a lot I need to accomplish before I leave in four years and I am not going to spend a moment of it crying about something that is not a failure.  Failure is quitting and I have NEVER done that.  Falling short is a learning experience, not a failure and I will fall short many times in my future.  

Good luck to all!  Especially my Ordies!!!

IYAOYAS!

Guest HM8432
19 minutes ago, Ordy said:

I still have a lot I need to accomplish before I leave in four years and I am not going to spend a moment of it crying about something that is not a failure.  Failure is quitting and I have NEVER done that.  Falling short is a learning experience, not a failure and I will fall short many times in my future.

Well said brother. 

Guest OrdieDevilDolphin
23 minutes ago, Ordy said:

One quick thought on the day before selection results...  the rhetoric in here is beginning to amp up.  A lot of people are talking about how they will react if they don't get selected.  To me this throws a caution flag in the air.  I used to joke that it was a hat trick, but I know the truth.  The system is fair.  Very fair.  We are graded on our merits, our contributions to our commands, Sailors and missions.  If we are already preparing ourselves for the "N," then there is something that we are hiding.  Some sort of short fall, neglect or missed opportunity in our career is probably the culprit.  I will have been through this cycle 6 times come 1100 tomorrow.  I used to throw hissy fits over not being selected and became cynical at times.  What I can tell you helped me the most, was something my Chief told me...  

She said, "AO1, I know you didn't make it this year.  That sucks.  But you need to look at the big picture.  You are almost finished with your Bachelors degree.  If you serve to 20 and never make Chief, no one will know or care the rest of your life.  When your shipmate says, "I have the watch," and you go and put in your job application, are you going to put down that you were a Chief?  No!  You are going to put down your qualifications, your bachelors degree, your management experience or whatever you have gleaned from the Navy with 20 years of honorable service to your country as icing on the cake.  You need to take care of you shipmate!"  

I no longer look at rejection as a failure, but an accomplishment.  I know it sounds silly, but I now look back at all I accomplished the year prior and look forward to what I will accomplish in the future.  The Navy is great!  I love it, I wish I could stay forever, but ... my shipmate will take my watch someday and all the little customs and courtesies will be a memory.  I would love to make Chief.  But I would also love to start another semester in College this September.  Spend time with my wife and kids this summer.  Get this ship ready for MPA/AMI etc... Start looking at what life is going to be like out there in the hippie civy world.  I still have a lot I need to accomplish before I leave in four years and I am not going to spend a moment of it crying about something that is not a failure.  Failure is quitting and I have NEVER done that.  Falling short is a learning experience, not a failure and I will fall short many times in my future.  

Good luck to all!  Especially my Ordies!!!

IYAOYAS!

Once again wise words.  IYAOYAS to you as well and to our fellow AO1's.  Good luck to all SBE's on the forum.  Its been a crazy couple weeks but tomorrow is the day we have been waiting for.  Still kind of funny we were waiting on dates and they hit us with a... Oh by the way they come out TOMORROW! 

Guest 343SBE
9 hours ago, CPO_Pride247 said:

Here's a question. When wrestlers come to the ring and batters in baseball come to the mound they have their get motivated music (theme song) playing. If you get selected, what tune should be playing in the background? What is that one song that will bring the moment to a whole new level? I know it's kind of cheesy, just want people to think of something fun while awaiting the results.

Well if I'm blessed to get the S, my song I'm going to crank up is We Are Family by Sister Sledge (think that's appropriate lol) followed by Celebration by Kool & The Gang.  If I don't then I'm going to play If You Leave Me Now by Chicago or maybe Dust In The Wind by Kansas and dedicate it to the Anchors lol

Guest CWO2 RRP 782X
1 hour ago, EM_UNO said:

Duty + watch till midnight + no berthings because of DSRA + 0500 result release to triad (hawaii) = no sleep kinda night! :wacko:

Hawaii here as well brother. 0700 all hands call in the morning...probably won't get much sleep tonight to be honest but my wife tells me to believe and envision myself with obtaining my goals. 

I suppose I should cram in all my weeks homework tonight...just in case!!

Best of luck to all my brothers and sisters!

Guest 343SBE
1 hour ago, EM_UNO said:

I don't know if I'm glad to be away from that because it's so early or wishing that I could switch since it'll be between 1800-1900 before I hear anything being in Bahrain...anyone across any pond, what's the time frame ya'll are looking at before hearing anything, not the time that they will be released as I am aware of that info lol and has a method been put out for it..the SEL here said that he's keeping all the SBE back to tell us, which is good but will make for an already long day

Guest OS1/CCC
4 hours ago, HawkISback said:

We are in the same year group. I've been trying to tell myself that, oh you didn't make it, so don't get excited.  But with wining soy at command and ISIC people seem to think that's the golden goose.  But what we talked about before has a lot of self doubt in my head. 

But the other voice in my head is saying if not now when? I get up super early so no issue sleeping, but this day gave me a headache.  I nvr get those. Ugh. 

I feel your pain. lol. I had an OS1 retire back in March that was SBE 11 times.  At least with me, i know why it took me so long. I was going to school and wanted to go Nurse Corps once upon a time. Was going to SDSU and everything when i submitted my STA-21 package. Not being selected for the program I focused on my BS in Public Health. Once I finished that, i decided i would be the best I could be in my field (GCCS-M) be a technical expert and trainer, and lead as many Sailors as I could. So out of the 8 times i took the test, i have been SBE for two. hopefully this is our year, if not, two more shots. Just got my orders today to a DDG so I am very excited about that.

Guest OS1/CCC
4 hours ago, EM_UNO said:

Out to sea for RIMPAC on 1800-0000 watch. I cant sleep anyway afterwards so going to knock out laundry. lol. 6.5 hours left... but who is counting?

Guest 343SBE
4 minutes ago, OS1/CCC said:

Out to sea for RIMPAC on 1800-0000 watch. I cant sleep anyway afterwards so going to knock out laundry. lol. 6.5 hours left... but who is counting?

Not I, even though it's going on 0500 EST

Guest OS1/CCC
23 minutes ago, 343SBE said:

Not I, even though it's going on 0500 EST

It cant come quick enough. lol. Good luck everyone. Looking forward to reading and congratulating all the "s" when i come back on in the morning.

Been a bit busy for me tonight.  Flight schedule, covering CDI for the AME shop, and knocking out a work center audit.  All while ironing out plans for a Friday night dinner with a new lady friend.  It's 0200 right now here in the PNW, and the results should be out around 0800.  I'll be happily asleep by then.